As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name that Game [Game Detective Thread]

• Options
    miccersoftmiccersoft Registered User new member
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Reminds me of a few games.

Yeah, these games are all similar to it in some way.

Bosses are most like the ones in Toki.
    Gameplay is most like third one (Bosses are also similar)> but visuals are way off
    Spanky only got a bit of the visuals.

I forgot to say that the character is humanoid - like a boy.
    Balls are bigger, and he like kicks them to fire them (i think). (Also i think you can shoot them in every direction.)

Gameplay is i would say a bit faster. Not like sonic but its faster than Toki.
    Third game reminded me on the flashing lights. When you hit enemies they flash, also some of their attacks flash.
    Visually it is a light game. I dont think there is a roof in any level o.O And they are very linear> not much ups and downs.

Ps: i dont remeber game had in any point any text > english nor japanese.

Hope this helps

Thanks!!!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It's not the Mega Man game where he can kick a ball as a default power, is it? Mega Man 8 I think? Other than that, here are some more games that reminded me of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBH2IOGw2B0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNAfcZlu24s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXzVUpDkDuU

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    aaaabbbbaaaabbbb Registered User new member
    edited December 2013
    Hello!
    I`m looking for about....20 years? after an arcade game from my childhood.
    And i remember many details about him, but i never found his name.

And that's what I remember:
    1. It was a Shoot 'Em Up vertical-scrolling arcade game
    2. With helicopters (you could choose between one red and a blue one). And believe me - I searched many helicopter arcade games, but neither was this specific one
    3. The powerups were: H(homing missiles), [M(?), S(?) - not sure about these], L(laser), B(bombs).And you can choose between 2 type of powerups - red and blue.
    4. One detail about the maximum power of one of the powerups: @ maximum you were firing with a horizontal row/wall of missiles, from one edge to the other edge of the screen
    5. I think it was a clone of RAIDEN. Or a very similar game.
    6. End.

Sorry for the long, illiterate post, but it`s my best.
    I really hope you can help me.

Thank you.

Best regards,

aaaabbbb on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    bertrand wrote: »
    Hello guys, for the longest time i was looking for a game i was playing at the local arcade store when i was in 2nd 3rd grade. I spend quite a lot of time looking at "vertical shooter arcade games" images that google managed to offer, as well as looking at other arcade forums where people were asking for some good arcade games hoping someone would suggest the very title i was looking for. I googled everything that people replied but it was not the one i was looking for.
    And here comes the description:

Before i go into details i will tell you i remember very little about this game, all i can say is that the graphic lvl was the one on the lvl of 19xx series and the dodon pachi so it was pretty much top notch for its time. Also, there were only two planes to choose from and i believe both planes were presented on the screen, each picture of the plane taking one half of the screen. Now, for somewhat reason everyone that played the game picked only one option, it was a black plane very similar to this real plane model:
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJukhcXkSCMF7pmrN_Sc6aEK0EeNBECH3rF31dQWcbUpX_YdqC

The 2nd very distinctive memory i have is the bombs that the plane used. It was a white beam coming out of the plane from bottom to the top of the screen and it expands and then contracts within the plane. The wave was white and maybe at the ends blue very similar to a kame-hame wave (dragon ball, Son Goku, come on everyone knows kamehame wave :D). Also, the beam destroyed every projectile one the screen.

The third thing i remember was some of the 1st few bosses, since nobody could get past lvl 4, i remember a boss that resembled this plane:
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_YvZKKF_FkIgSaNv4mvyt6McTzTxzJTn7CEOI119aQbXhevIh
    and another boss that was a tank coming from the ground with three main guns.

That is all i can remember, i believe i made my description very clear and i hope someone will help me find this game. I was so surprised that i didnt managed to find it till now, i've been raiding quite a lot of forums and saw a bunch of lists containing top vertical shooter arcade games but none of these games were the one i was looking for.

Thx for reading, i know i am new to these forums and i only made this account so that i can find this game, but i am getting desperate to find it, it is like a window to my beautiful childhood :D

@bertrand

Welcome to the Game Detective thread ;-)

I'm confident that is a Neo Geo game you're thinking of because of that second pic and the bomb wave. If it's the game I'm thinking of, my friend has it in one of his arcade cabinets and we used to battle for high scores. He learned the hell out of that game. Let me take a look.

I think you're looking for one of the Strikers 1945 games. My friend has Plus on the Neo Geo but that has more than two ships. Otherwise it sounds exactly the same.

Fawst on
  • Options
    bertrandbertrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Fawst wrote: »
    bertrand wrote: »
    Hello guys, for the longest time i was looking for a game i was playing at the local arcade store when i was in 2nd 3rd grade. I spend quite a lot of time looking at "vertical shooter arcade games" images that google managed to offer, as well as looking at other arcade forums where people were asking for some good arcade games hoping someone would suggest the very title i was looking for. I googled everything that people replied but it was not the one i was looking for.
    And here comes the description:

Before i go into details i will tell you i remember very little about this game, all i can say is that the graphic lvl was the one on the lvl of 19xx series and the dodon pachi so it was pretty much top notch for its time. Also, there were only two planes to choose from and i believe both planes were presented on the screen, each picture of the plane taking one half of the screen. Now, for somewhat reason everyone that played the game picked only one option, it was a black plane very similar to this real plane model:
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJukhcXkSCMF7pmrN_Sc6aEK0EeNBECH3rF31dQWcbUpX_YdqC

The 2nd very distinctive memory i have is the bombs that the plane used. It was a white beam coming out of the plane from bottom to the top of the screen and it expands and then contracts within the plane. The wave was white and maybe at the ends blue very similar to a kame-hame wave (dragon ball, Son Goku, come on everyone knows kamehame wave :D). Also, the beam destroyed every projectile one the screen.

The third thing i remember was some of the 1st few bosses, since nobody could get past lvl 4, i remember a boss that resembled this plane:
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_YvZKKF_FkIgSaNv4mvyt6McTzTxzJTn7CEOI119aQbXhevIh
    and another boss that was a tank coming from the ground with three main guns.

That is all i can remember, i believe i made my description very clear and i hope someone will help me find this game. I was so surprised that i didnt managed to find it till now, i've been raiding quite a lot of forums and saw a bunch of lists containing top vertical shooter arcade games but none of these games were the one i was looking for.

Thx for reading, i know i am new to these forums and i only made this account so that i can find this game, but i am getting desperate to find it, it is like a window to my beautiful childhood :D

@bertrand

Welcome to the Game Detective thread ;-)

I'm confident that is a Neo Geo game you're thinking of because of that second pic and the bomb wave. If it's the game I'm thinking of, my friend has it in one of his arcade cabinets and we used to battle for high scores. He learned the hell out of that game. Let me take a look.

I think you're looking for one of the Strikers 1945 games. My friend has Plus on the Neo Geo but that has more than two ships. Otherwise it sounds exactly the same.

Ty so much for your reply, and forwarding my thread here, but i am sad to say that none of these games, according to wikipedia: "It was followed by Strikers 1945 II in 1997 and Strikers 1999 in 1999, as well as a remake of Strikers II for SNK's Neo Geo called Strikers 1945 Plus." is the game i am looking for.

Ah, i am so desperate, is it possible that this was not some mainstream vertical shooter game and is probably unknown to the majority of the public? I really dont think so, coz the graphics was on a top notch lvl just like the strikers series is, so it must had some lvl of popularity and playerbase. Come on guys how hard can it be, how many games have used the model "Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird" for the aircraft, and how many used bombs very similar to the kame hame wave (songoku, dbz.) , a white bluish beam that was expanding then contracting within the plane and was reaching from the bottom to the top of the screen, lasting for about 3 sec or so.
    Another minor detail i remember was one of the first few stages, it was starting in a green forest environment, also the boss that everyone got stuck on and couldnt beat with 1 coin looked very similar to this: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_YvZKKF_FkIgSaNv4mvyt6McTzTxzJTn7CEOI119aQbXhevIh
    facing in the same direction as you are (you were shooting at his tail all the time).

Another minor detail i remembered was that the plane size was quite larger as compared to these other games i saw, it was at least 1.5 times the size of all these raiden, 194x games so it was quite easy to get hit, and you die from a single hit. Now that i think of it, it is no wonder poeple couldnt get very far as it was fairly difficult to maneuver through enemy missiles, and it was nothing like the dodon pachi series where the plane had like 2x1 pixels large hit box area...

bertrand on
  • Options
    @bertrand

It really sounds like Aero Fighters to me, specifically 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXc0Rksr61I

The stage 4 boss is a stealth bomber fought over a green forest. The boss before that is a tank.

At about 19 minutes in you can see Hien's bomb, which is a big white/blue laser.

There's a few other games in the series, Hien has that bomb in 1 and 2 I believe. I don't see a Blackbird in there, but there are a lot of characters/planes, so maybe I'm just missing it. The planes/pilots also show up one each on half of the screen.

There is a Blackbird-ish plane in this other game, and a tank, but nothing else seemed very similar.

http://www.shmups.com/reviews/vaportrail/1.htm

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @Reynolds
    Although the game you posted is not the one i am looking for, you my friend have been of tremendous help to me.
    I watched the game at mark 19:30 and a few seconds later the player uses his bomb. That bomb is very similar to the one used in the game i am searching with a couple of key differences as shown in the image i managed to edit with paint which closely resembles the image from my memory.

1_1.jpg

Notice the key differences from the bomb used in the video and the one i managed to edit in the picture. The wave although vertical, has little curved areas perpendicular to the ship and it feels much more powerful and dominant and starts from the very bottom of the screen unlike the one in the video where the wave starts from the planes forward part and there is nothing behind it. Although i am not sure about this 2nd part buti do believe that the plane's bomb was slightly coned at the very top of the screen, although this might not be the case and it is possible that it was just a straight line, but i am positive about the two arch like figures that formed perpendicular to the plane.
    Also, regarding the tank boss i was describing. Now that i think of it, the tank was aracnoid looking, and it sort of comes in the sceen from beneath the grass. Unlike any regular tanks i believe it was using mechanical legs for movement and might have had sort of aracnoid look to it.

I really think the edited picture i posted will light a bulb to anyone that played the game, it is impossible not to remember such graphic bomb...

bertrand on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    @bertrand had posted another thread which I've been throwing a couple suggestions at. After looking at his image in this thread, I checked out the bombs in my suggestions (Air Gallet, Strikers 1945 III/Strikers 1999, and Vapor Trail). Like @Reynolds I initially suspected Aero Fighters.

Anyway, bertrand, check out this video from Trigon/Lightning Fighters, around the 3:30 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZYm8-m6KdA

• Options
    edited January 2014
    @IronKnuckle's Ghost
    OOookk..... i am super confused right now. The bombs used in this game you posted are exactly as i remember them but the environment and the bosses are not. There are three possible answers to this:

1st and most likely - My memory is really bad and i remembered all the planes and the entire environment poorly.

2nd probability is that the memory i have in my head is mixed up from different games actually since i played quite a lot arcade games back then, it is possible that the memories of the environment comes from another game and the bombs are from the very game ironknuckle's ghost posed.

3rd - Although i strongly hope for this but is very unlikely, the guys designing this game did a complete rip off on the bombs designs from the game i am remembering in my head, or vice versa, the guys that made my game ripped Trigon/Lightning Fighters on the bomb design and got away publishing it.

The very thing that is eating me is the player's plane design i have in my head (Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird) and the B-2 bomber boss which was somewhere between stage 2 and 5.
    Either way, if any of you remembers a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird used as a plane model, using bombs very similar to the blue cone i described and as shown in the video posted in the thread above me please speak your mind...
    And a sincere thank you to ironknuckle's ghost and everyone else that helped me in my search :D

bertrand on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Glad you were able to positively ID one aspect of your game! I think it's mostly like you're remembering two or more games and your memory is blending them. Memories are weird like that, and I've certainly done exactly the same thing when trying to recall details about a game I haven't thought about in a long time. For me, I've found that memories of how good the graphics look tend to be inaccurate. I'm forever coming across an old game and thinking the graphics looked better when I was kid...

Anyway, from the sound of it I think you were remembering aspects of Lightning Fighters as well as aspects of Aero Fighters 2.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    One game you may be thinking of elements from is Thunder Blade. The player is a helicopter and one of the later bosses is a giant-assed SR-71 knockoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYaeeMjyaeA

For requests of my own, does anyone recall an NES driving game with an isometric, side-scrolling view where you played as a gray dune buggy of some sort? I believe it scrolled left to right. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it. One level involved a highway where you had to leap across broken bridge sections. (note: It's not Bump 'n Jump.)

Additionally, I'm also looking for a top-down shooter that I recall being pretty similar to Astro Warrior on the SMS, with bosses that you had to destroy sections of to completely kill. But as I recall there was one boss that looked distinctly like a floating cybernetic skull, and had a really obnoxious tendency to dive down into a bottom corner of the screen and crowd it for several seconds.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Donnicton wrote: »
    For requests of my own, does anyone recall an NES driving game with an isometric, side-scrolling view where you played as a gray dune buggy of some sort? I believe it scrolled left to right. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it. One level involved a highway where you had to leap across broken bridge sections. (note: It's not Bump 'n Jump.)

I know of this one!

Blockad Runner or Barricade Raid or something

Dammit, I played this one too...

Edit: Found it!
    BreakThru by Data East.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    That's one down, thanks!

• Options
    Giant floating cybernetic skull you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcyBtVwAsfg

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Nah, I'm talking about cookie-cutter top-down vertical scrolling shooter.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Nah, I'm talking about cookie-cutter top-down vertical scrolling shooter.

My friend had a Japanese Turbo Grafx 16 and he had a game called Truxton. I remember fighting several skull baddies in that game. On wikipedia it says that it was available for the Mega drive. The company that made it was called Toaplan and they made a ton of shooters including Tiger Heli and Twin Cobra (which featured a red and blue helicopter).

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    @IronKnuckle's Ghost

Glad you were able to positively ID one aspect of your game! I think it's mostly like you're remembering two or more games and your memory is blending them. Memories are weird like that, and I've certainly done exactly the same thing when trying to recall details about a game I haven't thought about in a long time. For me, I've found that memories of how good the graphics look tend to be inaccurate. I'm forever coming across an old game and thinking the graphics looked better when I was kid...

Anyway, from the sound of it I think you were remembering aspects of Lightning Fighters as well as aspects of Aero Fighters 2.

Yeah you are absolutely right. After careful observation of the game and the feel i got while watching it, i can be absolutely positive that this is the game i was looking for. I remember now that the airplane was not the blackbird i was thinking of rather then the ones used in this game. Also i remembered the 2nd type of bomb the dragon like figure flying across the screen once i saw it. Once again thx so much, i thought i will never find this one. And yeah, how memory tends to fail us sometimes, i too was remembering the graphics to be way way better, but i guess we only remember the impression that the graphics left on us at that age, which was pretty top notch for that time :D

• Options
    namename Registered User new member
    Hello, I made an account when I saw this topic, as I can't recall one of my childhood games. I was bugged by this from time to time, but today it annoyed me enough to do something about it. Actually I had two such games, but one I found already. The second one, well... No sign of it. I don't remember much of it, but here it is:

Platform: probably PC

Genre: Action Adventure

Era: I was about 6-10, so nothing past 2003, I also doubt it's older than being from 1996.

Description: Well what I remember from that game is that it was like medieval-based, I remember that game began with bow and sword training on dummies. It was rather colourful and bright. There were probably other things but after the training I remember walking to the castle, where there was some kind of boss fight I guess. The boss from what I recall was like some big knight and you were supposed to fight him off from a balcony in that castle (inside). The boss was like 10 times bigger than your character. I don't think I ever get past that point. There were also some kind of crystals to collect on that balcony, though not sure. I don't think it's some popular game, but who knows.

Style: Early 3D game (third-person perspective), kind of like Tomb Raider III in terms of quality, maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. It was rather simplistic, also the important thing is that I think the faces of the boss and the character were kind of Lego like, you know, dots instead of eyes and that kind of thing. It was definitely not a Lego game though, I checked it already. I don't remember any other characters there, maybe some narrator. I don't remember any other things like story or music.

Eliminated: Definitely not a strategy game, not a dialogue-based game, no gore and such.

So yeah, that's it. Can we find it? :)

• Options
    It sounds like this to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xw_cX7iRR0

Third person, right time period, knights, Lego faces, starts with sword and crossbow training.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    It sounds like this to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xw_cX7iRR0

Third person, right time period, knights, Lego faces, starts with sword and crossbow training.

That's it! There are a lot of things I don't remember, but I also checked the first boss and it must be it. I actually had low hopes for finding it, but there it is in the first reply. Thank you very much :)

• Options
    Awesome! Glad to help. I had this thread set aside for a few days until I had time to search. I have a bad tendency to lose hours trying to hunt down these games. Strangely enough, after looking for a good while myself, I actually stumbled onto this post on another forum dedicated to hunting down stuff like this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/comments/1gizf2/tomt_medieval_lego_pc_game/

I should probably stay away from that place, or I'll get sucked in...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I thought you knew this game because you may have played it before :) That's unusual hobby you have, but if you like it, nothing wrong with it I think.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I was archiving files getting ready to upgrade from laptop to a desktop and I found a file called unknown.mp3 and it sounds like it's from some nes/gb/wonderswan?? game and I have no idea which one - I've looked for years with no success, even if someone could help narrow it down with knowledge of sound chips or something that'd be great:
    http://blueblueblueblueblue.com/unknown.mp3
    It definitely sounds like GB music -- probably early GB. It has a kind of Megaman-ish vibe in a few places, but I don't recognize it from any of the GB Megaman games.

A friend of mine wound up finding it, after all these years
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maVm53hgTRc

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    A game either my brother or I rented back in the past. It was a playstation one game with some relation to the creators of populous as it had an advertisement in the box. It was a rts/battle sim kind of game with a medieval setting possibly with fantasy. You control like divisions of soldiers and cavalry and can upgrade them between battle.

Any ideas?

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    I'm assuming this is the Populus game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populous:_The_Beginning Published by EA, so that doesn't really narrow things down. I'm not seeing tons of RTS games for PS1 at all, and most are futuristic.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Did it have a D&D license? Maybe Blood and Iron?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I want to say this is one of the Warhammer Fantasy games (Shadow of the Horned Rat or Dark Omen), but I don't know what the Populous connection could be. Apparently the same composer worked on Dark Omen and Populous: The Beginning, but I doubt that would have made it onto the box.

If those aren't it, you can browse Mobygames to see if anything sticks out -- here's a search for fantasy strategy games on the Playstation.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Ok, I got one and now it's bugging me.

Mid 90s timeframe, possibly a strategy or RPG title, DOS or possibly Windows (not sure if 3.1 or 95).
    Squad based tactics, top down view or maybe isometric.
    All sprite work, no renders or voxels.

Possibly a sequel to another game given the story. You were the commander of the last of your people onboard a warship. So you have your warriors take the resources needed to rebuild your empire, or something.

I remember the loading screen from command decisions to battlefield tactics being a row of tubes with your troops in them (male and female green skinned humanoids) with something saying "After making the finally preparations, you download the plan to your troops' memory banks to prepare them for battle."

EDIT: Found it. Star Legions.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    It's one of those two looking at the screenshots

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    ZapRatZapRat Mage of Mind A place apartRegistered User regular
    I was archiving files getting ready to upgrade from laptop to a desktop and I found a file called unknown.mp3 and it sounds like it's from some nes/gb/wonderswan?? game and I have no idea which one - I've looked for years with no success, even if someone could help narrow it down with knowledge of sound chips or something that'd be great:
    It definitely sounds like GB music -- probably early GB. It has a kind of Megaman-ish vibe in a few places, but I don't recognize it from any of the GB Megaman games.

It sounded so much like various fight game music that I heard, I never thought of searching for sports game themes.

CYDUJ.jpg
  • Options
    EddieTheTrooperEddieTheTrooper Registered User new member
    I'm trying to remember an old stand up arcade game from my childhood and this thread popped up in Google. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate, this one has been bugging me for years!

Platform: Stand Up Arcade

Genre: Action Side Scroller

Era: Mid-80's is my best guess. I played it in the late 80's but I suspect the arcade machine wasn't new and had probably been around for a while.

Description: The main thing I can remember is the intro scene, right after you put in a quarter and start playing. A boy on a motorcycle rides onto the screen from the left, his bike crashes or something (I remember an explosion), the boy jumps off the bike, lands, then the game starts and the bad guys come from the right side of the screen. It was a side scroller, similar style to something like Streets of Rage but this was an older game, graphics weren't quite as good. I can't remember exactly why but I have a strong feeling the boy was ninja-related too, he didn't wear the typical black suit but I think he had a bandana around his head. I also think but am not 100% sure that the enemies you fought were like military soldiers.

Style: Early stand up arcade game, graphics were decent (not as old as Zelda, Rygar, etc.) but not as good as say Mortal Kombat, that's too new. It was definitely a side scroller and I know it was hard because we would die often in the game and always see that motorcycle/explosion intro, which is what I remember the most.

Any thoughts?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm trying to remember an old stand up arcade game from my childhood and this thread popped up in Google. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate, this one has been bugging me for years!

Platform: Stand Up Arcade

Genre: Action Side Scroller

Era: Mid-80's is my best guess. I played it in the late 80's but I suspect the arcade machine wasn't new and had probably been around for a while.

Description: The main thing I can remember is the intro scene, right after you put in a quarter and start playing. A boy on a motorcycle rides onto the screen from the left, his bike crashes or something (I remember an explosion), the boy jumps off the bike, lands, then the game starts and the bad guys come from the right side of the screen. It was a side scroller, similar style to something like Streets of Rage but this was an older game, graphics weren't quite as good. I can't remember exactly why but I have a strong feeling the boy was ninja-related too, he didn't wear the typical black suit but I think he had a bandana around his head. I also think but am not 100% sure that the enemies you fought were like military soldiers.

Style: Early stand up arcade game, graphics were decent (not as old as Zelda, Rygar, etc.) but not as good as say Mortal Kombat, that's too new. It was definitely a side scroller and I know it was hard because we would die often in the game and always see that motorcycle/explosion intro, which is what I remember the most.

Any thoughts?

My first guess is Vendetta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX4Rf_DghKg

Taramoor on
  • Options
    EddieTheTrooperEddieTheTrooper Registered User new member
    Taramoor wrote: »

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, that is definitely not the game. A few differences are: the game I'm thinking of was a side scroller, like Vendetta, but you could only move left/right and not up/down like games with slightly top-down perspectives. I'm also confident that the character you play was smaller, I remember him being like a teenage boy and not a full adult like other games (though I think the bad guys were all adults). Lastly, the motorcycle scene I mentioned only happened once in the game (as far as I know) and it was right at the beginning during the intro scene. You couldn't control him on the bike, it was an automated scene that played after you put in a quarter and before the game actually started.

• Options
    I'm guessing it's probably this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPyKNHewME

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The game I'm looking for is an NES game I believe. The only place I saw it, was online in a video, hence I've never played it and only have a few details.

The game was about a kid shooting things up at balloons that bounce across the screen, the balloons would then split into 2. The video I saw, had the player dodging the balloons which were hectic and requiring precise time to dodge them and shoot them.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Roe wrote: »
    The game I'm looking for is an NES game I believe. The only place I saw it, was online in a video, hence I've never played it and only have a few details.

The game was about a kid shooting things up at balloons that bounce across the screen, the balloons would then split into 2. The video I saw, had the player dodging the balloons which were hectic and requiring precise time to dodge them and shoot them.

Sounds like Super Buster Bros. It has seen many iterations, so regardless of your retro platform, you can probably find a version of it.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    ZapRat wrote: »

It sounded so much like various fight game music that I heard, I never thought of searching for sports game themes.

Yeah, I finally found it. From the first time I heard it I was looking at sports games. At first I was thinking something like blades of steel, or some baseball game. I knew it was familiar because me and my brother played tecmo super bowl a lot, but when you look for that music, you mostly get regular tecmo bowl, which doesn't contain the song, so I had ruled it out at some point I think.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »

Sounds like Super Buster Bros. It has seen many iterations, so regardless of your retro platform, you can probably find a version of it.

That's it, thanks.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    TheReapermanTheReaperman Registered User new member
    Hi Guys,

I saw this thread and joined as a result. :)

I'm looking for an arcade game, mid-late 80's, top down and you controlled a car in a post apocalyptic style world fighting other cars. If your car caught on fire you could do a little combat roll on foot and fight like that until you found another car. I think the title had rush or crash in it, but can't be sure.

Any help would be appreciated :)

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hi Guys,

I saw this thread and joined as a result. :)

I'm looking for an arcade game, mid-late 80's, top down and you controlled a car in a post apocalyptic style world fighting other cars. If your car caught on fire you could do a little combat roll on foot and fight like that until you found another car. I think the title had rush or crash in it, but can't be sure.

Any help would be appreciated :)
    Sounds like Speed Rumbler. If you have an Xbox 360, you could buy it for $4.

YoungFrey on