Cicada [chat] about Cicadas, with some [chat]

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

...either take in good faith that people are mad for a reason, or believe that they are not because you have a good reason not to.

don't just take a default position of doubting them because you think you ought to.

That's not how this works.

Player-1: "Is there a god?"

Player-2: We believe there is.

Player-1: Oh, well, they must have a reason for thinking that. Can't ask what their reason is. Hum de dum.

If someone asks why you believe X, it is your job to provide reasons. It is not the job of the inquirer to assume there are reasons.

finally we've gotten to the metaphysics of it all.

shut it down.

It's not irrelevant.

Burden of proof is either on the person making the claim, or the person asking about the claim.

We don't get to switch the burden around based on the topic.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    to most people in the online world, being a mod of a PA forum would be about on par with being in charge of one of the nastier gamergate reddits
    i don't think you know what you are talking about

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Holy shit -- got sent a resume to review for an interview I'm doing

IT'S 20 PAGES!

-Deebaser‌
    everything about hiring is terrible
    Is it an Academic's CV

those get long

they want to list everything they ever wrote

i don't blame 'em tho

It's for a software developer -- no degree from what I can tell

Each page is a detailed breakdown of his job description from a previous job.

There's also a lot of weird personal information -- it's for a candidate from the Phillipines so maybe that's normal over there.

i dated a filipina in high school and i can tell you one thing about her resume

i never saw it we were in high school

who has a resume in high school

hth

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I don't always agree with Pony (ok I seldom agree with Pony) but I fucking agree with Pony

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

as a woman sometimes you want to be real fuckin vulgar and rude and if you do I suggest you try "suck my clit" there's something real jawdropping about it fyi hth

duly noted, stolen and incorporated, you are not given credit or even acknowledged while i rake it in

hey cass

smc

YEAAAAAAAH

i am consulting with my legal team

Wriggly is not qualified to provide you legal counsel.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I don't always agree with Pony (ok I seldom agree with Pony) but I fucking agree with Pony

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

as a woman sometimes you want to be real fuckin vulgar and rude and if you do I suggest you try "suck my clit" there's something real jawdropping about it fyi hth

duly noted, stolen and incorporated, you are not given credit or even acknowledged while i rake it in

hey cass

smc

YEAAAAAAAH

my legal team says Canadian IP law is written in crayon on a poutine-smeared napkin and therefore has no validity in any jurisdiction outside the Tundra

then my legal team did a poop in the diapey and fell asleep in it

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I am

in a good mood

Good evening how are you all

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Beltway is becoming a term of disparagement about people perceived to be political insiders in Wellington, the capital, by people who are usually political reporters. That bugs me, as people regularly then need to explain what a beltway is, what its alternate meaning is and such.

We should just use another word

We called it a loop in Dallas. Way better.

There is a motorway next to parliament. We call it the motorway. Problem is we call the other motorways elsewhere motorways too, so using it as a term of disparagement is rather problematic.

Everyone would feel disparaged, or at least those of us who live near them. People near highways or tertiary roads may be OK though

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    will i added a little brown sugar to my latest chili

hate me

did it taste good?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    since we're talking about how horrible gamers are

the front office of Blizzard has bullet proof glass in front of the receptionist

and not because they're worried about local crime

some guy got banned from league of legends so he called in sick to work, told his mom he was going to work, drove to riot hq, hung out back and hid behind a dumpster and waited for morello to come out so he could beg for his account back

he could have just sucked off some guys behind the olive garden instead and used the money to rebuy his stuff

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I am

in a good mood

If you want to stay in a good mood, abandon [chat]

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

hey cass

smc

YEAAAAAAAH

Wriggly is not qualified to provide you legal counsel.

but he's so smart if you put a cat game on the ipad he looks behind the ipad

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    It is. Especially what happened to you.

So is it also not terrible that it happened to someone else or what? Seriously, what is the point you're trying to get at here?

The point such of Sarkeesian receiving threats being a story is that receiving threats is unusual in a public or semi-public figure and that such threats prove her central thesis.

The central thesis is one I am actually largely/generally in support of (that video games as an industry are pretty sexist). But if one accepts that threats do not indicate the message is particularly important or reveals relatively little about the industry by its primary consumers, then the story doesn't really pop. Given that Sarkeesian's primary method of activism is producing sensationalistic and not particularly honest videos, it doesn't feel particularly real or noteworthy.

And its only treated as newsworthy in little gamer/SJW treehouses until death threats are issued - and even then its like 10 paragraphs on the web only edition of the Times and a tweet by a C list celebrity or three because oh those weirdo kids with their twitters and vidja game. But in those treehouses its treated as something huge that needs more and more focus and attention. And more and more shit gets stirred over ... Not the portrayal of women in video games, or whether the supply is creating the demand or even how to get more women in STEM and therefore into game design.

Its just more and more energy expended on melodrama that only matters to people who substantially define their personal identity as a "gamer" (and thus may feel attacked and is going to be less open to the central thesis of "the gaming industry tends to have a lot of sexist elements and that's bad") and "activist" (who already go to the blogs and now just have something to focus on other than the daunting and difficult challenge of enacting change). Its ultimately - in my eyes - a lot of sound and fury signifying.. not nothing per se but misguided focus on the wrong part of what is already a really niche issue. Sexism in games is not going to be on anyone's political platform or what anyone remembers this era for. Its not a big enough issue to thrive while circle jerking

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I am

in a good mood

I really want to go lift but they won't let me off this boat.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

hate me

did it taste good?

How come you taste so good, brown sugar

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

...either take in good faith that people are mad for a reason, or believe that they are not because you have a good reason not to.

don't just take a default position of doubting them because you think you ought to.

Player-1: Oh, well, they must have a reason for thinking that. Can't ask what their reason is. Hum de dum.

If someone asks why you believe X, it is your job to provide reasons. It is not the job of the inquirer to assume there are reasons.

shut it down.

It's not irrelevant.

Burden of proof is either on the person making the claim, or the person asking about the claim.

burden of proof doesn't work that way when you're talking about how people feel about something

there aren't a lot of objective facts being argued

override367 on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Seriously though Will don't have any illusions about the PA forums

to most people in the online world, being a mod of a PA forum would be about on par with being in charge of one of the nastier gamergate reddits

the default assumption would be that of course this is a bastion of gamersgatery of the worst kind

if you ever need a wake-up call to what a volume-loud contingent of this forum is like regarding gender

read any thread on the topic on any part of the forum that isn't SE++

SE++ being the culturally odd duck these days for being so aggressively hostile to that sort of shit that people like that don't last long

it changed from being Diet Something Awful to Diet Tumblr some years back

which is an okay change

it means, for example, there's a trans thread there right now that is actually pretty good

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

shut it down.

It's not irrelevant.

"Oh fuck, friends, this is awful, I was fucking mugged and I just... I don't feel safe in my own home or neighbourhood anymore, I need to vent"

"AWP! How do we know these events transpired. Also it's not very logical for you to feel unsafe because you weren't mugged like six million times. Let's logically debate this"

C'mon.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Managed to bruise my buckles opening a door yesterday, when it opened too fast. May have come close to a serious break, which would have been embarrassing

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

shut it down.

It's not irrelevant.

burden of proof doesn't work that way when you're talking about how people feel about something

We aren't talking about how they feel.

We're talking about their reasons for feeling that way.

• Options
    I'd say that identifying yourself as a "gamer" induces narrowed eyes more than before

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I am

in a good mood

Woah now.

Wait a minute.

The burden of proof is on you buddy.

I'm having a grand ol' time.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Do you know of any communities with a strong feminist contingent? Ask about what they think of Penny Arcade.

We can claim that the boards are separate from Mike & Jerry or that D&D is separate from other subforums or that Chat is separate from D&D but really we are making the exact same argument as the "not all gamers[gaters]" people

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

shut it down.

It's not irrelevant.

We aren't talking about how they feel.

We're talking about their reasons for feeling that way.

holy shit come on man

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    It is. Especially what happened to you.

So is it also not terrible that it happened to someone else or what? Seriously, what is the point you're trying to get at here?

The point such of Sarkeesian receiving threats being a story is that receiving threats is unusual in a public or semi-public figure and that such threats prove her central thesis.

The central thesis is one I am actually largely/generally in support of (that video games as an industry are pretty sexist). But if one accepts that threats do not indicate the message is particularly important or reveals relatively little about the industry by its primary consumers, then the story doesn't really pop. Given that Sarkeesian's primary method of activism is producing sensationalistic and not particularly honest videos, it doesn't feel particularly real or noteworthy.

And its only treated as newsworthy in little gamer/SJW treehouses until death threats are issued - and even then its like 10 paragraphs on the web only edition of the Times and a tweet by a C list celebrity or three because oh those weirdo kids with their twitters and vidja game. But in those treehouses its treated as something huge that needs more and more focus and attention. And more and more shit gets stirred over ... Not the portrayal of women in video games, or whether the supply is creating the demand or even how to get more women in STEM and therefore into game design.

Its just more and more energy expended on melodrama that only matters to people who substantially define their personal identity as a "gamer" (and thus may feel attacked and is going to be less open to the central thesis of "the gaming industry tends to have a lot of sexist elements and that's bad") and "activist" (who already go to the blogs and now just have something to focus on other than the daunting and difficult challenge of enacting change). Its ultimately - in my eyes - a lot of sound and fury signifying.. not nothing per se but misguided focus on the wrong part of what is already a really niche issue. Sexism in games is not going to be on anyone's political platform or what anyone remembers this era for. Its not a big enough issue to thrive while circle jerking

Oh okay.

So your concern is bunk.

People can be concerned about all of those things at once. I'm doing it right this second.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

shut it down.

It's not irrelevant.

I think if you asked why I believe in god, I would respond by asking why you wanted to know.

I think I would be persistent about drilling down into your reasons for asking, until I was comfortable that the ultimate reason wasn't "I disagree with you and I think if I ask enough questions, your answers will demonstrate that I am right"

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    there is a Chrome extension out there that changes "SJW" or to "skeleton" in any displayed web-page and it makes reading stupid Gater garbage kind of amazing:

Bz68TfMCMAIfg8e.png:large

Infiltration?

These people are paranoid and delusional.

i dunno skeletons are super spooky

there's a skeleton in you right now

When you get right down to it, a person is just a skeleton covered in meat, biding it's time til it becomes a ghost.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

also quote snipping like that from a post that is really short is a dick move fyi

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Hey J in the off chance when you moan about "why do people think I'm a troll I don't want to be like a robot I want to be a friend to you all" you are being serious

this is a prime example of you coming across like a huge troll who is stirring the pot for lulz while hiding behind a facade of robot beep boopery

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    there is a Chrome extension out there that changes "SJW" or to "skeleton" in any displayed web-page and it makes reading stupid Gater garbage kind of amazing:

Bz68TfMCMAIfg8e.png:large

Infiltration?

These people are paranoid and delusional.

i dunno skeletons are super spooky

God just cast banish undead you big baby

• Options
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

shut it down.

It's not irrelevant.

"Oh fuck, friends, this is awful, I was fucking mugged and I just... I don't feel safe in my own home or neighbourhood anymore, I need to vent"

"AWP! How do we know these events transpired. Also it's not very logical for you to feel unsafe because you weren't mugged like six million times. Let's logically debate this"

C'mon.

Strawman+playbackups+com.jpg

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    like I'm not trying to be rude but you three are hitting for like 3 damage

sometimes 12 if you crit

arch is over here slangin that good lightning at like 39 dmg

• Options
    rockrnger wrote: »
    I am

in a good mood

I really want to go lift but they won't let me off this boat.

Lift the boat. Show those bastards.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Seriously though Will don't have any illusions about the PA forums

the default assumption would be that of course this is a bastion of gamersgatery of the worst kind

if you ever need a wake-up call to what a volume-loud contingent of this forum is like regarding gender

read any thread on the topic on any part of the forum that isn't SE++

SE++ being the culturally odd duck these days for being so aggressively hostile to that sort of shit that people like that don't last long

it changed from being Diet Something Awful to Diet Tumblr some years back

which is an okay change

it means, for example, there's a trans thread there right now that is actually pretty good

To be fair SE++ has different standards to posting than D & D. You can get away with more there without the thread being shut down. I see that as a feature, not a bug.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

Do you know of any communities with a strong feminist contingent? Ask about what they think of Penny Arcade.

We can claim that the boards are separate from Mike & Jerry or that D&D is separate from other subforums or that Chat is separate from D&D but really we are making the exact same argument as the "not all gamers[gaters]" people
    I'm not claiming PA or the forums are a bastion of socially progressive thought, but I don't think you know just how bad other sites can get.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I am

in a good mood

This is not the kind of good mood chat is able to dissipate

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

hate me

did it taste good?

yup

• Options
    like I'm not trying to be rude but you three are hitting for like 3 damage

sometimes 12 if you crit

arch is over here slangin that good lightning at like 39 dmg

#notallpartymembers

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    is it really that bad?"

...we believe it is...

shut it down.

It's not irrelevant.

This is an informal conversation, not a courtroom.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »

fyi

hth

smd

(suck my dick)

(i hope that catches on)

(i'm a tastemaker)

i read it as shake my dick

the new way to greet one another

new?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    One thing that people find horrible is the posting of addresses.

I do find this reprehensible. The thing is given someones name, general living area and possibly a picture or just enough time you can dig up someones address, phone number, work address and probably even frequently visited places.

Part of this is because we give this info out constantly via apps, social media and other parts is it just ends up in the public domain through the internet like the old phone book.

It is part of the new world.

Your information is not private.

And in many ways we as a society have not adapted this.

Posting or use of addresses tends to be one of the things that police use to separate crank threats from ones that may represent a legitimate threat of physical violence. It shows a degree of per-meditation and red flags that just saying you'll kill someone. But it's easier to find that information in this day and age and that is likely going to have to adjust how we view threats. The problem is that the only reasonable response right now is that more crank threats will have to be viewed as threats that represent a legitimate chance to commit physical harm.

I suspect that we will see an increase anonymization services. Use of shell companies to hide property ownership, dropbox mailing services for addresses and so forth. A lot of these already exist and are used for these reasons but I expect we'll see an expansion.

This discussion has been closed.