As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Defender Strikes Back (Return of the Wii)

• Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I don't hate myself today, so maybe I'll pick it up some other time :V

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Khavall wrote: »
    So much win.

I think this is the first time I've ever not been the person to respond so slowly that like, 4 pages have passed by the time I've made the joke.
    Wait, joke?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So much win.

I think this is the first time I've ever not been the person to respond so slowly that like, 4 pages have passed by the time I've made the joke.
    Wait, joke?

Hey, I liked lost levels.

Of course, I do hate myself, but still. It's not really that bad once you get used to the whole "It's impossible" thing.

Khavall on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    man the VC games for today aren't up yet :\

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Think I'll pick up this sin and punishment game.

And yes, once adjusted with in game options, MP3 controls nearly flawlessly as a first person shoot.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone who doesn't have the B button as fire is a fag though.

I mean, it's even shaped like a damn trigger.

Seriously on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I highly recomend you do not purchase Resident Evil 4, it's fucking horrible. Controls are shit and the graphics are poor.

No.
    This is not acceptable.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Seriously wrote: »

I changed fire to B, but by then I had already gotten used to A as fire, so I switched back.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    blue powder's opinions are bad and he should feel bad

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's more comfortable with the A button firing. You hit that damn button much more than you would in a normal FPS.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wii version's aiming is great

my accuracy tends to stay at about 90%, and I suck at pretty much everything

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I changed fire to B, but by then I had already gotten used to A as fire, so I switched back.

Nooooooooo

You fool

you can shoot faster with B as fire! If you can get used to A you can get used to B. Don't become a victim of complacency :(

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Nooooooooo

You fool

you can shoot faster with B as fire! If you can get used to A you can get used to B. Don't become a victim of complacency :(

Well I mean, all I have to do is do Phaaze and I'll have beaten it 100% so. I think I'll stick to A for the last scene.

That's right, I haven't beaten MP3 yet. Stupid schedule giving me only maybe an hour a day at home.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    the funny thing about that dude telling me "No dude don't buy RE4 it sucks" is that I've already played through like a fifth of it and I fucking loved it, I just want a copy of my own so I can finish it

you're small time, blue powder

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    The last time I played RE4, I made it through the first part with the bugs, and the maze.
    The next part is where the cage drops down and you're trapped with a claw dude or two, and haha no, I don't feel like being raped.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    oh man sin and punishment guys

and me with no money and my wii in a box gathering dust D:

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2007
    why are import games more VC points that's retarded

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I dunno

I think Lost Levels is also bullshit

super mario all stars for the cost of one snes game would be preferred.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2007
    shoe did you get that dreamcast

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    mail hasn't come yet

believe me you will know when I get it

the world will know

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    shoe what if there's no dreamcast in the box

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I bet they had to change some of the Japanese stuff into english, costing them a bit of money, thus charging more.

Anyone have Sin and Punishment to confirm this, is it Japanese or English.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    shoe what if there's no dreamcast in the box

then I guess I'll just kill myself D:

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Pata wrote: »

I bet they had to change some of the Japanese stuff into english, costing them a bit of money, thus charging more.

Sin & Punishment had English voice acting in the Japanese version (although subtitles were in Japanese)

edit: apparently the subtitles are still in Japanese, but the menus are in English

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Pata wrote: »

The Japanese version of Sin and Punishment is English, so it would be pretty hard to confirm...

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    phantom hourglass tomorrow!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Seeing games on the VC that were previously never released outside of Japan makes me really happy.

Everyone was saying this sort of thing would never happen, too.

I'd say our chances of seeing stuff like Rondo of Blood have gone up tremendously.

I hope we eventually get upgrades for games we've already downloaded. Upgraded graphics for NES games and Wiimote compatibility for some N64 games would be great.

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think they confirmed that Turbo Grafx CD games are coming to the VC, so you never know.

edit: yup

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I've been wondering about this for awhile.

Would it be possible for Nintendo to release downloads that would give GC games Wiimote compatibility?

I wouldn't mind paying $10 bucks for a download that gave Metroid Prime, Corruption controls. I'd even like to see pointer abilities implemented into games like WW. I hate having to aim with the analog stick now.

It would sure beat the hell out of re-releasing games.

Lurker on
  • Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gym wrote: »
    I think they confirmed that Turbo Grafx CD games are coming to the VC, so you never know.

edit: yup

Can't wait until Zero Wing comes out

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lurker wrote: »

Would it be possible for Nintendo to release downloads that would give GC games Wiimote compatibility?

I wouldn't mind paying $10 bucks for a download that gave Metroid Prime, Corruption controls. I'd even like to see pointer abilities implemented into games like WW. I hate having to aim with the analog stick now.

It would sure beat the hell out of re-releasing games.

It seems like that might not be the best way to do it, though. I mean, most console games are REALLY hard-coded. Like, everything's set up in such a way that it works exactly like it's supposed to and if you want to do anything special with it, basically, fuck you it's not happening. With the current generation, more people are using middleware engines like Unreal 3 and Gamebryo where there's more extensibility built-in to the framework. The basic reason is that it used to be more feasible to write all your own code, and as a result you had these systems which only worked in the exact situations that the actual game needed. As it became more complex and expensive to write this crap, licensing got bigger and bigger, and as cross-platform got more profitable, licensed technology started getting more general-purpose and abstract, so it HAD to work in all (or most) situations that a developer could possibly come up with in an arbitrary game, not just one specific known game. For example, the Gamebryo engine is used in multiple Civilization and Elder Scrolls titles.

So it's highly likely that the MP engines are not terribly abstract, especially the older ones. Releasing a mod/map pack for the MP3 engine with the MP1 levels would likely be the easiest route to go, as opposed to modding MP1 to have Wiimote stuff. But then the download size is retardedly huge.

EDIT: That said, I don't know how hard-coded the actual MP engines are. For all I know, they could've been written abstractly and the Wiimote thing could be fairly modular. This is somewhat more likely due to the apparent (also speculation on my part) hardware similarities between the GC and the Wii.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I know that when they first started developing Corruption, Retro tested the Wiimote controls on Echoes. I believe they even made a little demo of it so places like IGN could see what they were going to do with Corruption.

I guess that doesn't really say anything about how hard or easy it would be to modify the games, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Lurker on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That makes it seem like it might be somewhat reasonable to do it. Then we have to know if MP1 was in the same engine as MP2.

Defender on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goodnight Sweet prince

Projeck on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    it would be so cool if they released them together as a single Wii game with MP3 controls

i doubt they would do it, but it would be cool

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Lurker wrote: »

No. Once you start up a GameCube game, the system is a GameCube and not a Wii. You can't even turn the system off with the remote. It can't access the Wii's storage, so there's no way they could release those kinds of patches

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So what's going to be the title of the next Wii thread?

I'm hoping for "Keep your fucking Wii puns out of here!"

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    God I can't believe I just bought the DDR game for the Wii.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
This discussion has been closed.