Options

[INTERSTELLAR] There are spoilers here.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Just saw it. Robots were great, visuals were interesting, but the movie jumped gears from 2001 to A Wrinkle in Time really fucking quick.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Really liked the decision to use voice actors for the robots. There were several times I caught myself wondering where the other person in the room was, only to remember that's the robot talking.

Also, I appreciate the hopefulness and positivity this film has. Maybe it's a Nolan thing, this rejection of cynicism in an age ruled by it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    I was pleasantly surprised to see the Oberth effect depicted accurately in the final powered flyby of the black hole. The little auxiliary spacecraft dropping into the hole after detaching was kind of nonsensical, though. In reality you'd have to do another burn to fall into the hole instead of just orbiting it. It's possible they mentioned that and I missed it; I think some of the dialogue slipped past me due to the characters' mumbling.

I can't decide whether Planet of the Tides is actually possible, though. I want to say that a planet with tidal stresses like those would be a fireball, but I suppose once it became tidally locked--and if it had an almost perfectly circular orbit--the effect might be reduced enough to let it solidify. It certainly seems unlikely that a planet could form under those conditions to begin with, though. If tidal stresses can prevent a moon accreting from Saturn's rings, I can't imagine it would be possible for a planet to form that close to a black hole.

That planet would certainly have a weird history if it were possible at all.

• Options
    I do have to question how causality works in a five dimensional space.

It's like, the movie went form hard sci-fi physics to BioShock Infinite physics without a pause.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This is the first movie I can recall seeing where I actually wanted them to step back from the plot a bit and let us revel in what was being shown to us

the shot of them insignificant against saturn as they approached it, I wanted more shots like that
    edit: and I agree with everyone else that the matt damon betrayal plot is an anchor on this movie, it belongs in a much worse film

override367 on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    This is the first movie I can recall seeing where I actually wanted them to step back from the plot a bit and let us revel in what was being shown to us

the shot of them insignificant against saturn as they approached it, I wanted more shots like that
    edit: and I agree with everyone else that the matt damon betrayal plot is an anchor on this movie, it belongs in a much worse film

They had several minutes of docking footage, or clamps failing to lock, that could have replaced.

A shot of one of Saturn's moons looking insignificant next to Saturn then zoom into a shot of them looking insignificant to the moon would have been very welcome. Almost had it with the first planet when they silhouetted it against Gargantua, but they never showed a good orbiting shot.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    oh the black hole consuming a star and the lensing effect created by the gravity was magnificent

override367 on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    would like to report that the soundtrack/score to this is magical and should win awards

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    So are we supposed to think that Dishwasher World was once earth-like, but ridiculous tides and massive waves completely leveled off the land and all the dissolved minerals made the water dense enough wade knee deep?

Why would it have once been earth like?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    Awww... I really dug this movie. Teh feels, holy shit. Sooo.... The science is less than perfect, but it was p great.
    The science is pretty spot on, especially the spherical worm hole which is as accurate of a portrayal as you're going to get until humanity actually finds one.

According to Kip Thorne, he can get at least 2 research papers written from the production of the visuals of the wormhole and blackhole.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

Yeah that's just handwavey garbage. The black hole looked cool because they made it look cool. See where they talk about adding an accretion disk? They could have made that star look like a smiley face with an unstable accretion disk. The simulation of that black holes appearance is masters level physics at best. Its pretty trivial.

The time dilation is pretty garbage too. You can't get to that extreme levels from gravity and survive. Your blood would take 500 years to get out of your feet.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Awww... I really dug this movie. Teh feels, holy shit. Sooo.... The science is less than perfect, but it was p great.
    The science is pretty spot on, especially the spherical worm hole which is as accurate of a portrayal as you're going to get until humanity actually finds one.

According to Kip Thorne, he can get at least 2 research papers written from the production of the visuals of the wormhole and blackhole.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

Yeah that's just handwavey garbage. The black hole looked cool because they made it look cool. See where they talk about adding an accretion disk? They could have made that star look like a smiley face with an unstable accretion disk. The simulation of that black holes appearance is masters level physics at best. Its pretty trivial.

The time dilation is pretty garbage too. You can't get to that extreme levels from gravity and survive. Your blood would take 500 years to get out of your feet.

I hate to go running with an appeal to authority here, but we are talking one of the world's leading experts on relativity. Thorne's (as far as my research has gone) a respected speaker on black holes, time dilation, and the like. Held a professor's chair, friends with Hawking and Sagan, multiple award winner.

Meanwhile, you're (again, with my limited available research) some silly goose on the internet. Why should I take your word over his?

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I was pleasantly surprised to see the Oberth effect depicted accurately in the final powered flyby of the black hole. The little auxiliary spacecraft dropping into the hole after detaching was kind of nonsensical, though. In reality you'd have to do another burn to fall into the hole instead of just orbiting it. It's possible they mentioned that and I missed it; I think some of the dialogue slipped past me due to the characters' mumbling.

Detaching and then immediately slipping into the black hole didn't make any sense and had no explanation given (aside from the nonsensical Newton's-third-law handwaving).

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Sometimes scIence has to give a little for the sake of the plot. The first responsibility of any film is to be engaging, and that requires shortcuts here and there.

Detaching the spacecraft and having it fall into the black hole makes sense if you imagine it as, say, a plane doing a bomb. You drop it, it falls down. It makes intuitive sense to most people, and isn't going to strike anyone as inaccurate outside of science buffs.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Sometimes scIence has to give a little for the sake of the plot. The first responsibility of any film is to be engaging, and that requires shortcuts here and there.

Detaching the spacecraft and having it fall into the black hole makes sense if you imagine it as, say, a plane doing a bomb. You drop it, it falls down. It makes intuitive sense to most people, and isn't going to strike anyone as inaccurate outside of science buffs.

That one scene was just jarring, because they generally worked pretty hard to present physics consistent with what we know up until a relatively simple thing snuck by them.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I think the thing I like most about this movie is how many scientist characters were in it, including 2 female scientists, and absolutely how pro-progress and pro-technology it was (while at the same time being anti waste)

Cooper's line about place in the stars vs place in the dirt was a good one and reflects my current feelings about the American public's views on education/technology/climate science/evolution/NASA

override367 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I think the thing I like most about this movie is how many scientist characters were in it, including 2 female scientists, and absolutely how pro-progress and pro-technology it was (while at the same time being anti waste)

Cooper's line about place in the stars vs place in the dirt was a good one and reflects my current feelings about the American public's views on education/technology/climate science/evolution/NASA

I thought it was cool and eerie with the changes to school curriculum. The anti-intellectualism of the Space Race rewrite is only one part of the equation. The government was trying to strip Americans of, well, want. As the grandfather said, "60 billion people wanting it all, now this isn't so bad."

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Seal wrote: »
    So are we supposed to think that Dishwasher World was once earth-like, but ridiculous tides and massive waves completely leveled off the land and all the dissolved minerals made the water dense enough wade knee deep?

Why would it have once been earth like?
    Similar gravity, lots of water and an atmosphere. I use the term in a vague sense; when scientists talk about exoplanets being discovered by the Kepler probe they refer to them as "earth like" as long as they're in the goldilocks zone, are likely to have an atmosphere and aren't more than 2.5x the mass of Earth. I suppose it still is earth-like, but that term wouldn't feel terribly true on the surface.

Seal on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Wouldn't the time dilation mean that while the ejecting pilot's decaying orbit took a year or two to the onlooker, to Cooper it looked like a few seconds?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't the time dilation mean that while the ejecting pilot's decaying orbit took a year or two to the onlooker, to Cooper it looked like a few seconds?

I believe so. But, wasn't a fair amount of hyperdimensional stuff going on then? So, like... Shrug?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

It's like, the movie went form hard sci-fi physics to BioShock Infinite physics without a pause.

I don't think there's any way to show a human being entering a black hole alive without relying on magic.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I don't think there's any way to show a human being entering a black hole alive without relying on magic.

A supermassive black hole of 100 million solar masses has less tidal forces at the event horizon than what you experience on the surface of the earth.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    And the gravitational time dilation between your head and your feet at the event horizon of that supermassive black hole is x1.00000000007

Even the time dilation between the the orbiting craft and ejecting pilot at the event horizon is essentially a rounding error because the radius of the event horizon is so large. You would have to be orbiting millions of kilometers out to really start seeing effects. (of course the frame-dragging of the spinning black hole would further complicate things, don't know enough math to figure that out)

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Nolan explain why you can't hear shit:
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/christopher-nolan-speaks-up-on-sound-mix-issues-in-interstellar/
    The creative intent there is to be truthful to the situation...an elderly man dying and saying something somewhat unexpected. We are following the emotional state of Jessica’s character as she starts to understand what he’s been saying. Information is communicated in various different ways over the next few scenes. That’s the way I like to work; I don't like to hang everything on one particular line. I like to follow the experience of the character.

• Options
    Nolan explain why you can't hear shit:
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/christopher-nolan-speaks-up-on-sound-mix-issues-in-interstellar/
    The creative intent there is to be truthful to the situation...an elderly man dying and saying something somewhat unexpected. We are following the emotional state of Jessica’s character as she starts to understand what he’s been saying. Information is communicated in various different ways over the next few scenes. That’s the way I like to work; I don't like to hang everything on one particular line. I like to follow the experience of the character.

/makes wanking motion

• Options
    seriously tho, if I can't hear what your characters are saying...

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah if he wanted the music and their expression to be the way that their emotions were coming across he shouldn't also have had them speaking dialogue i'm not able to hear. Because then all i'm focused on is the dialogue i'm not able to hear. Which is what happened.

An elderly man dying and saying something unexpected. Except I have no idea what he was saying, I only figured that out later when she was recording the message to the ship.

Aistan on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I saw this over the weekend and haven't read the thread for fear it will ruin the high I am on from the film.

Interstellar was one of the best movie experiences I've had in a long time. Three hours felt like it flew by and I wanted more by the time it was over. I feel like there were some problems with the plot that I pinpointed during the movie, but I couldn't hold onto them in memory because everything that was happening was so powerful and impactful. The plot was amazing, acting was great, and the visual experience was epic. There was more depth to the plot and visuals than I expected and it blew me away. Add in the humor and this is easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

LOVED this movie.

• Options
    Wouldn't you be ripped apart at an atomic level by the gravity well of the black hole?

Not to mention, how the hell do transmissions work inside the Tesseract?

And for that matter, no pun intended, how does visible light work inside of the Tesseract? I mean, wouldn't all the light be exiting in multiple dimensions as well, making everything just kind of a blur?

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    As was said on this page, the black hole is ridiculously big, something that doesn't come across well in the movie. 100 million solar masses, putting it at about 25 times more massive than even the supermassive black hole in the center of our galaxy. Huge black hole means that, near the event horizon, there isn't a steep gravity gradient, and even crossing the event horizon would be safe. The event horizon in this case would be just shy of the orbit of Earth.

The black hole is also rotating ridiculously fast, which does physics-y things what be rather complex.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't you be ripped apart at an atomic level by the gravity well of the black hole?

Not to mention, how the hell do transmissions work inside the Tesseract?

And for that matter, no pun intended, how does visible light work inside of the Tesseract? I mean, wouldn't all the light be exiting in multiple dimensions as well, making everything just kind of a blur?

Anything inside the black hole is made up. Presumably, the tesseract experience was a bit of magic/technology put on by the 5th Dimensional Beings. But there's no science to find there so don't go looking.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    yeah matt damon was really weird. I thought he was pretty unecessary and it was like brad pitt in 12 years a slave. A famous person who pulled me out of the movie.

But the music was really cool! I've been listening to it all day. Very haunting.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Don't worry, your robot sidekick will have all the exposition you need to understand 5th dimensional problem solving when you get to the center of a black hole.

• Options
    yeah matt damon was really weird. I thought he was pretty unecessary and it was like brad pitt in 12 years a slave. A famous person who pulled me out of the movie.

But the music was really cool! I've been listening to it all day. Very haunting.

Matt Damon's unexpected appearance did pull me out of the movie, but I also thought he did a great job portraying a deranged coward.

Altogether I liked the movie a lot. My only real complaint is that several long-or-cheesy-or-both lines and several montages probably should have been cut down heavily or even completely; they did a pretty good job of showing instead of telling, or implying instead of showing, up until they didn't.

• Options
    Don't worry, your robot sidekick will have all the exposition you need to understand 5th dimensional problem solving when you get to the center of a black hole.

GETH

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Just saw it tonight. Impressions:

The robots are great designs that reveal nothing at first glance of their tremendous capabilities, and seeing them spring into action in moments of danger is easily worth the price of admission. Please do not spoil this part of the film for anyone by talking about these spinning, galloping monoliths. They are easily the best part of the film.

Don't read if you haven't seen the movie (incidental, but great aspect of the movie);

I absolutely loved the robots and can't wait for the blu-ray so I can watch some extra features about the robots. I could not stop grinning every time they were on-screen and I loved that they spoke in normal human voices. Every time they did some new transformer shit my inner child was exultant. Please merchandise the robots. "Before you get all sentimental, I remind you that I am a robot and have to do everything you say." Just awesome.

Edit: And the robot humor! The callouts to HAL! "Ahh, you'll all make excellent fleshbag slaves for my robot empire." =)

Edit Edit: Read a few more pages; strippin' mah spoiler tahgs

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    kedinik wrote: »

Detaching and then immediately slipping into the black hole didn't make any sense and had no explanation given (aside from the nonsensical Newton's-third-law handwaving).

I think the intent was that the three craft were acting as a staged rocket. Use up the fuel in the first lander, then discard the dead weight so you have less mass to push with the remaining stages. Use up the fuel in the second lander and again discard the dead weight before continuing with the final stage. In this case, the discarded craft would still be on a slingshot orbit, but would appear to fall backwards from the ship with the remaining engines running, which is what is seen in the film. It's not falling into the black hole at that point. I feel that scene was deliberately rewritten to suit the dialog they wanted or perhaps just poorly edited and they screwed up the logical order of events, which then implies some bad physics with regards to Newton.

The detached craft did still have some maneuvering capability with thrusters, but I'm not sure in "reality" that would be enough delta-v to alter the orbit enough to hit the event horizon, not without the main craft being dangerously close itself. I suppose you could also argue for some drag from matter in the accretion disk compromising the orbit, and the short time span of these events done simply for film purposes.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think Matt Damon was a good casting choice, because we're used to him being a good guy. He's one of those actors you have some implied trust in, so when he says something without evidence to back it up ("This bit of the planet is uninhabitable, but there's a nice bit further down, honest!"), we're inclined to believe him.
    It makes the sudden but inevitable betrayal a little more surprising too, but that was kind of ruined by me assuming the cliché was coming the whole time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Talented Mr. Ripley... In space

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Something that bothered me, and it may be I missed the explanation.

Mann steals the team's ship to go to the station thing. The team takes his ship that was on the planet. That's 2 ships.

The ship Mann stole gets blown up when he blows the airlock. So now we're down to 1 working ship.

Coop drops off the station in a ship, so we should be down to zero ships.

How does Brand get to the third planet safely? Was there a third ship I just missed?

Edit: and it seems this is answered 2 posts above. Serves me right for ignoring most of the black hole physics theorizing in the thread

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Far as I remember, the Endurance had four ships attached; two rangers and two landers.
    While they were setting up their plan B site on the planet, they brought one of the landers down.
    Mann stole one ranger and got it blown up, while one ranger and lander were still attached to the Endurance at the time.
    They use up the last ranger and one of the landers in the black hole slingshot, leaving Brand with one lander.

We never see exactly what craft Mann used to get to his planet in the first place (presumably it was the same thing they found him sleeping in), but I assume it was a one-way thing that couldn't take off again, kinda like the Apollo modules. Just designed to get you on the surface, and keep you alive until/if another ship comes to get you.

(Did anyone ever give Mann's first name? Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm going to assume it was Hugh.)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.