As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] The Turkey Coma Dale Fest Party Long Weekend Thing has arrived!

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    I want to buy South Park, but I have that constant "when will I actually be able to play this?" nagging feeling. I'm in the middle of Skyrim, I have Mordor and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire waiting in the wings, and I just ordered a Wii U yesterday.

Do I buy it anyway? y/n

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Shadow of Mordor arrived today. Strange to be installing a Steam game from DVDs. (5 of them)
    Edit: 1.5 hours for a disc install!

Took me like 6-7 hours to download, so that's an improvement.

So far, 10 hours in, I'm a fanboy and completely sold on this. Assassin's Creed, I'm not going to miss you :P

How much data is on each disk? My main gaming PC doesn't have an optical drive but I'm just thinking hypothetically here, if I bought a game on disc and had to make ISOs on a thumbdrive.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    @Smokestacks Last year's PC version, the one with the Lebron mode, was the last gen version for older consoles. So at the very least you should be able to play that one (if you can run other PS3/360 era games)

And according to EnhancedSteam/IsThereAnyDeal, NBA2K14 was on sale for 6 dollars on Amazon in August or something.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The things I miss while I'm in the air.
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

Because the stories in call of duty games are so compelling that you absolutely positively can't miss one...

I like how the list is, like, CoDs 1, Blops, 2, WaW, 4, then a mile-long list of DLC for Blops 2 and Ghosts in which the actual titles are somewhere buried, then finally MW 2 and 3.

Somewhere there's a person writing a very interesting term paper about the evolution of the multiplayer FPS, and this bundle's store page is one of the more prominent citations.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I want to buy South Park, but I have that constant "when will I actually be able to play this?" nagging feeling. I'm in the middle of Skyrim, I have Mordor and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire waiting in the wings, and I just ordered a Wii U yesterday.

Do I buy it anyway? y/n

I've arbitrarily decided to hold off until it's $10 or lower.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Do I buy it anyway? y/n

Will you play it before Winter Dale? If Y, then Y. If N, then N.

HowLongToBeat.com puts it at 5.5-7 hours, so you could actually get it and knock it out in the next few weeks...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Shadow of Mordor arrived today. Strange to be installing a Steam game from DVDs. (5 of them)
    Edit: 1.5 hours for a disc install!

Took me like 6-7 hours to download, so that's an improvement.

So far, 10 hours in, I'm a fanboy and completely sold on this. Assassin's Creed, I'm not going to miss you :P

How much data is on each disk? My main gaming PC doesn't have an optical drive but I'm just thinking hypothetically here, if I bought a game on disc and had to make ISOs on a thumbdrive.

Didn't check size on all the discs, but disk 1 was close to 8GB

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Just beat Episode one of Tales From The Borderlands. Sooo good.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Anybody wants to split on a Rise of Nations 4-pack?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Also, has anyone tried out Warhammer 40k: Armageddon?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Urgh, why do you do this to me Endless Legends? You've got some fun faction quests to go for yet the requirements get more and more ridiculous. I've eaten half the continent already, how do I easily farm exp for my Necrophage hero? Huh game? Didn't think of that did you?

• Options
    South Park was pretty good, but yes, it will only get lower in price. It's not a super long game, though I took my time with it and my Steam clock says I have 16 hours in it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I love when developers put little inside jokes in their games. Case in point, this bit of vendor junk from Kingdoms of Amalur:
    xr5566pdes6h.jpg

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Ugh. Aparently the burnout from black friday can make a day worse than black friday and thanksgiving combined.

Ugh. I'm just gonna sit here sad and play the cutest games I can possibly find.

Says Heen, whilst brazenly displaying BoI:R in his .sig. Still, best of luck to you, Heen.

Speaking of...so...err...86hrs in, myself. i've not gotten everything, but by the...maybe 82nd or -3rd hour i'd beaten all the bosses and seen all the possible stages (well, except one challenge...but i need to beat Family Man to unlock it, and bugger that for a lark right now). Basically at the point where with any game (bar Borderlands2) i could sit back and say "done," at least for a little while.

So...why can i still not stop playing? Hell, i've barely even looked at the Winter Sale.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    My Dad is on a roll. He bought me a PC! "How are we going to play steam games when your computer sucks? It's been a good year for wine grapes, configure one!"
    Case 1 x NZXT Phantom 240 Gaming Case - White
    Noise Reduction 1 x Advanced - Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System - Improved Airflow Silent Fans
    Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
    Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
    Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module [B85] - Corsair or Major Brand
    Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB - Single Card
    Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - Turtle Beach Z1 Headset -
    Free Stuff 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter
    Motherboard 1 x ASUS B85-PLUS -- 2x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
    Power Supply 1 x 600 Watt - Standard - *Free Upgrade to 700W Standard
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
    Optical Drive 1 x 24x Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW - Black
    Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    Keyboard 1 x [FREE] Tt eSports Backlit Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse 1 x [FREE] Tt eSports Backlit Gaming Mouse

MORE SO EXCITE, MUST REMEMBER TO BREATHE!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    My Dad is on a roll. He bought me a PC! "How are we going to play steam games when your computer sucks? It's been a good year for wine grapes, configure one!"
    Noise Reduction 1 x Advanced - Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System - Improved Airflow Silent Fans
    Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
    Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
    Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module [B85] - Corsair or Major Brand
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

That seems like a reeeeeeaally weak psu for what you are running.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Power requirements on PC hardware has been going down for awhile now. 600w sounds reasonable in that setup to me.

*edit* Running those parts through Cooler Master's Calculator (not my favorite, but it had all the parts in it) comes out to 352w minimum.
    http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/PSUEngine2

Houn on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Power requirements on PC hardware has been going down for awhile now. 600w sounds reasonable in that setup to me.

*edit* Running those parts through Cooler Master's Calculator (not my favorite, but it had all the parts in it) comes out to 352w minimum.

700W*. It should be alright I think.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

700W*. It should be alright I think.

My theory is, if everything runs it must be enough. I'm probably wrong, I'm not an EE.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I thought I'd been missing a big, crazy Steam sale, but I don't see any huge discounts or voting or cards happening. So I guess this is just a teaser sale.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    @Broncbuster That's a good looking PC you have there. I myself am in need of an upgrade to a better graphics card and power supply unit, although I'll probably hold off until the second half of 2015. The rest of my PC seems fine fine for now, even if it is a bit outdated.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    So, @Spoit decided that, apparently, if I was at a wedding yesterday, and at work today (Sunday), it was likely my day would be... poor. Therefore, as a surprise, here's

EAzZRAS.png

It never ceases to amaze me that some classy person from around here will give someone something, making their day a whole lot better. Thanks, @Spoit!

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    And @antoshka hit me back with Fract OSC

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    On page 56, but need to thank @heatwave for lego hobbit. Me and Mrs. Alure all ready played through to the first save. I played till the open world by myself, and um... I'm going to have a problem. I feel the urge to pick up all shinny's, but I turn around and they responed. How do I know what to stop?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I'd be more concerned that he doesn't have the power supply brand name listed. 6 or 700w good PSU, sure. 700w generic thing that gets thrown into prebuilts, not so much.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Trying to figure out who has what DLC seems like too much of an effort. Four separate posts for Fairshare seems rather self indulgent.

Here are some Pinball FX2 tables:

Civil War
    Excalibur
    Mars
    Captain America

Played a few rounds of pinball today on tables I hadn't tried before. Star Wars RotJ seemed alright, even if I never really got a sense of what was going on.

Iron Man was a bit more interesting. It seemed more like a physical pinball game than other tables, but it was also extremely vertical. If one doesn't hit a ramp cleanly, it's not going all the way up. So it was more difficult in that respect, but it also seemed that it wasn't trying to cheaply sink a ball on the player which makes it easier. I'm doing my best not to make crude jokes, so I'll just say that a less skilled player can spend a lot of time staying alive without scoring any points. A very odd table.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    If you need to figure out if someone has a DLC, you can add it to your cart for gifting

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm really late with this because I am a shit, but the other day both @Berylline and @Karrde1842 sent me copies of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which calls itself a "story-driven mystery game focused on exploration and discovery", which really tickles my pickle.

I might wax poetic about first person shooters and racing games and classic sidescrollers all the time in the thread, but a lot of people don't know that Stacks also loves himself a good mystery. Seriously, I eat that shit up.

Also, the game looks absolutely gorgeous. Like, super stunning.

I accepted the copy from Bery but I still want to thank you both. You guys are great.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    What do people think are the most owned games among the penny arcade group? I'm thinking bastion and ftl. And then tf2 and l4d2

Anything by Zeboyd is going to be pretty well represented around here.

In this group? Most owned is probably Bad Rats.

• Options
    I'm really late with this because I am a shit, but the other day both @Berylline and @Karrde1842 sent me copies of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which calls itself a "story-driven mystery game focused on exploration and discovery", which really tickles my pickle.

I might wax poetic about first person shooters and racing games and classic sidescrollers all the time in the thread, but a lot of people don't know that Stacks also loves himself a good mystery. Seriously, I eat that shit up.

Also, the game looks absolutely gorgeous. Like, super stunning.

I accepted the copy from Bery but I still want to thank you both. You guys are great.

I keep hoping that game ends up secretly being about the disappearance of a wrestling promoter's spoiled nephew.

Like, me and 1 other person in this thread will get this joke

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I understood that reference.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular

Speaking of which, I want to buy a PC to replace my parent's 8 year old dinosaur.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

I am not looking to break bank, anything in the 400 to 600 dollar price range will do. But I figured the were better options than going straight to retail.

If not, that's fine. It wasn't for gaming anyways.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Goddamnit @Heatwave

Thanks for The Walking Dead Season 2.

You fucker.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014

@Broncbuster‌
    you really need to squeeze in an SSD somewhere into that build

it is the single biggest upgrade you can make to your PCs overall performance on most tasks. I'm not kidding when I say I expect the speed difference between an SSD and not having one would be bigger than the difference between a Core Duo and an i7.

At the very least, it'd be a crying shame to build a beastly rig like that and then effectively hamstring it with a regular HDD.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    SSDs are Civilization.

Also,
    Firebird wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I want to buy a PC to replace my parent's 8 year old dinosaur.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

I am not looking to break bank, anything in the 400 to 600 dollar price range will do. But I figured the were better options than going straight to retail.

If not, that's fine. It wasn't for gaming anyways.

You typed "buy", but have you thought about building one for them?

We have a Build Thread in Moe's that can help you out if you post what you intend to use the machine for, what your budget is, and what continent you live on. Building a PC sounds super complicated, but the reality is if you can put together a Lego set, you can build a PC. Building a budget machine is fairly straightforward (odds are you won't need to deal with GPUs or aftermarket heatsinks), and there are tons of forumers and a gorillion youtube tutorial videos you can turn to if you get stuck with something.

If your parents just want a Facebook/look up recipes/email baby pictures PC than just about any $400-$600 prebuilt will do the job (as well as grant them tech support and an all-inclusive warranty vs multiples from different companies), but building them a PC will get you a significantly better bang for your buck, and will allow you to custom tailor the machine for their needs.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Let's see here...

bGOMTwV.png?1

First off, thanks to @Kalnaur for the Planet Stronghold DLC pack! I am, of course, a sucker for most everything Winter Wolves, so this will go to good use!

Also, thanks for running the giveaway, @shdwcaster ! Let's see... marked it up on Steamgifts, so that ought to be taken care of!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular

I think the 970 cards are supposed to be very good with power usage under full load. 700w looks more than enough depending on PSU quality as majority is onboard on the mobo.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Anybody tried The Witcher Adventure Game yet?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Anybody wants to split on a Rise of Nations 4-pack?

@elaro I'm on board with this plan.

Any other takers?

This discussion has been closed.