Options

[Let's Play] Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

• Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Having your intentions determine whether a power is dark or light makes sense, from a certain point of view.

But, then again, so does the idea of the Force's Dark Side being an evil, corrupting energy, and that channeling it will literally erode your flesh and reluctance to exercise your power.

I really prefer the first view, as it gives the Sith a great deal more depth. Embracing their emotions, not suppressing them. Using their power to make the world a better place, rather than attempt to guide it and fail. After all, what tyrannical despot doesn't think that they're doing the right thing for their country? Even the culling of the weak, the unworthy, means more for the strong, the deserving.

Revan's, especially, is a compelling story when taken with the idea that the Force neither corrupts nor redeems a Jedi by itself. And oh, how happy I was when

(KOTOR II Spoiler, endgame)
    the jedi masters you collected in Kotor II died

as what they had done to Revan was a crime beyond murder.

Sepah on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sepah wrote: »
    Revan's, especially, is a compelling story when taken with the idea that the Force neither corrupts nor redeems a Jedi by itself. And oh, how happy I was when

That was the only reason I ended up evil on my first play through, which is surprising. Usually I try to play RPGs as close as I physically would play them if I were in the role, and KotOR is probably the only one to ever get an evil ending out of me.
    Nobody better screw with my brain and expect to remain intact. When my relentless and infinite wave of starships breaks upon the Republic they will realize that covering an inconclusive, potentially misunderstood past with lies, deceit and memory erasure is a poor choice.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think the darkside/lightside thing is too simplified in the Star Wars universe as good/bad.

Yes, there is real evil in many darkside users, but look at Revan. I think it's pretty much canon that he essentially sacrificed his 'lightside' standing for the greater good, even when he was wielding darkside powers. He found the most probable path to 'victory' in that even if he died he would essentially have given the galaxy the greatest chance of defeating the unknown threat.

So I guess the question becomes, was Revan a Sith but not necessarily evil?

devoir on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Re: The Force.

From playing the games, watching the movies, and reading the books, I'm under the impression that while most uses of the force can be used by either side, it's the intent of the user that determines whether or not it's truly 'good' or 'evil'.

Lightning, while not inherantly evil in and of itself, is often utilized as an offensive power of aggression and destruction. It's not a clean strike or aimed at disabling (or even killing) without going overboard, it's an explosion of power that is (from what we've seen) terribly painful and akin to torture that likely leads to death.

Thus, while I wouldn't call it an 'evil power', the intent behind most who display it seems to often be pretty unpleasant.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SrinivassaSrinivassa Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I like this "Let's Play" thread. I've never heard of one before. It's pretty fun, and yes, it does make me want to play through KOTOR again. (even though I've beaten it 3 times already)

I have to say that Mission is my favorite character. She's very real and has a great voice. Carth is okay, too. I never knew people found him annoying, but I agree with the lone poster. He doesn't fit into the male aggressive competetive psyche. Men don't moan to each other about their feelings, so he seems really whiny and annoying.

HK-47 is overrated. Worst party member. He has no weapons punch, and he has no skills except demolitions. The wookie kicks his ass all over the place. Mission and the utility droid have the same mediocre firepower, but at least they have a lot of skills.

I had heard HK was the best thing about KOTOR (from Xbox people). Then, I bought it for my PC when it first came out. I was like, "oh boy!" when I got to buy HK. He just wasn't that funny or interesting, and his combat skills sucked considering he didn't come with any points for skills.

I did light side twice and dark side once. Really, I think LS is more powerful. Everyone loves force lightning, but it's not as powerful as Master Speed and Flurry. Then again, the game is pretty easy, even on difficult. I guess you could just kill everyone however you felt like. (The OP seems to have a penchant for power conduit overload. ;-))

Best thing about going dark side:
    Ordering Zaalbaar to kill Mission. It just felt so wrong on so many levels, but I had to do it.

Srinivassa on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did you upgrade HK-47? Until you do he's mediocre at best in combat, but after you do and with the right blaster he does some good damage.

And as for not finding him funny, that just means you lack a human soul.

edit: Overall I'd say that neither dark or light is more powerful, since (especially as a consular) later on in the game you can use whatever powers you want and barely feel the penalties.
    edit again! Carth really isn't as bitchy as people make him out to be. He doesn't actively bitch at you, you have to drag it out of him for the most part.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And as for not finding him funny, that just means you lack a human soul.
    I don't think you need a soul to see humour in the violent deaths of others.

In fact, I think lacking one would be far preferable.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I had heard HK was the best thing about KOTOR (from Xbox people). Then, I bought it for my PC when it first came out. I was like, "oh boy!" when I got to buy HK. He just wasn't that funny or interesting, and his combat skills sucked considering he didn't come with any points for skills.

I found HK-47 hilarious, but a friend of mine didn't at all, and said that I had a morbid sense of humour. I suppose it depends a lot on the person when it comes to humour. It's true with music, so why not humour? HK is just not your cup of tea.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you're going lightside, Mission is probably going to be your best party member.

Stasis Field + Sneak Attack XII (or whatever ridiculous level it got up to) is just so wrong on so many different levels.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sepah wrote: »

That was the only reason I ended up evil on my first play through, which is surprising. Usually I try to play RPGs as close as I physically would play them if I were in the role, and KotOR is probably the only one to ever get an evil ending out of me.
    Nobody better screw with my brain and expect to remain intact. When my relentless and infinite wave of starships breaks upon the Republic they will realize that covering an inconclusive, potentially misunderstood past with lies, deceit and memory erasure is a poor choice.

I agree. When I played through the first time it was like
    Doot de doo... when do I get to be a Jedi... Yay, I am a jedi. Guess I will be a good guy.

....WHAT?! I'm Revan?! All you motherfuckers are DEAD

Al_wat on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Taramoor wrote: »
    If you're going lightside, Mission is probably going to be your best party member.

Stasis Field + Sneak Attack XII (or whatever ridiculous level it got up to) is just so wrong on so many different levels.

I found this out on my latest play through (which I finished up a couple of days ago). I selected Mission to be the one to bust us free on board the Leviathan, and sneak attack was kicking all sorts of ass the few times I had to fight with her. It actually influenced me to make stealth a major part of my playstyle for my latest run of KotOR2 (which I started as soon as I finished the first game).
    devoir wrote: »
    I think the darkside/lightside thing is too simplified in the Star Wars universe as good/bad.

Yes, there is real evil in many darkside users, but look at Revan. I think it's pretty much canon that he essentially sacrificed his 'lightside' standing for the greater good, even when he was wielding darkside powers. He found the most probable path to 'victory' in that even if he died he would essentially have given the galaxy the greatest chance of defeating the unknown threat.

So I guess the question becomes, was Revan a Sith but not necessarily evil?

Revan was neither a Jedi nor a Sith. He didn't bind himself to the religious standings of the Force. He may be the one Jedi that got the religion right, I think.

I got into a somewhat lengthy discussion with Kami regarding the Force when talking about Revan. The Force isn't exactly a western religion. It's more of an eastern religion. It's about self discipline and enlightenment. Though, in a way it could also be a martial art. I went over how the Force has a natural balance where if one side tips over in power for too long, it will shift. Anakin's prophecy supports this theory, that he brought balance to the Force, that Dark or Light Jedi were almost completely gone, both sides crippled (though, the Dark Side operated with few numbers to begin with).

This is from the standpoint that the Force is an entity, as the Jedi Masters tend to refer to it to. I would say that it is evidenced that the Force does not approve of the light or the dark sides. As if both sides are failing to see that both points are view are correct, and that they can be applied at the same time. The Jedi preach patience and wisdom, which is good and all. But KotOR and the Starwars movies show that it makes them complacent, and they are easily dealt with when the tide shifts to the Dark Side.

The Dark Side, as we learn over and over in KotOR1 and 2, regulates itself through conflict amongst its own followers (whereas the light side leaves people to drop their guard). The Sith go on about how your passions fuel your strength. This works for anyone that is trained in the ways of the Force. The thing is, the Sith fuel their strength through selfish needs and passions. Could it not be a passion to protect others, to sacrifice as the light side aims to do?

Revan had this figured out. Revan knew that it was okay to feel strongly for something. The Jedi teach their Padawans to abandon emotion, the Sith teach their apprentices to embrace the negative emotions. Both are wrong. You can express emotion without abandoning it, and without recklessly acting on it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Or there could be some kind of B-movie love scene, where you've got to choke some girl with your dark powers

Dear Penthouse... :winky:

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Revan was neither a Jedi nor a Sith. He didn't bind himself to the religious standings of the Force. He may be the one Jedi that got the religion right, I think.

I got into a somewhat lengthy discussion with Kami regarding the Force when talking about Revan. The Force isn't exactly a western religion. It's more of an eastern religion. It's about self discipline and enlightenment. Though, in a way it could also be a martial art. I went over how the Force has a natural balance where if one side tips over in power for too long, it will shift. Anakin's prophecy supports this theory, that he brought balance to the Force, that Dark or Light Jedi were almost completely gone, both sides crippled (though, the Dark Side operated with few numbers to begin with).

This is from the standpoint that the Force is an entity, as the Jedi Masters tend to refer to it to. I would say that it is evidenced that the Force does not approve of the light or the dark sides. As if both sides are failing to see that both points are view are correct, and that they can be applied at the same time. The Jedi preach patience and wisdom, which is good and all. But KotOR and the Starwars movies show that it makes them complacent, and they are easily dealt with when the tide shifts to the Dark Side.

The Dark Side, as we learn over and over in KotOR1 and 2, regulates itself through conflict amongst its own followers (whereas the light side leaves people to drop their guard). The Sith go on about how your passions fuel your strength. This works for anyone that is trained in the ways of the Force. The thing is, the Sith fuel their strength through selfish needs and passions. Could it not be a passion to protect others, to sacrifice as the light side aims to do?

Revan had this figured out. Revan knew that it was okay to feel strongly for something. The Jedi teach their Padawans to abandon emotion, the Sith teach their apprentices to embrace the negative emotions. Both are wrong. You can express emotion without abandoning it, and without recklessly acting on it.

I really, really want a new series of books/games/movies that feature Revan. I don't think that Revan can be as awe inspiring if he is the player character in KoTOR3 (or whatever), but he has so much potential for stories throughout his whole career.

devoir on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The best light side party is Jolee, you, and Bastilla. When Bastilla is not availible, go Carth or the Wookie.

The best dark side party? You, Canderous, and HK. This is as long as you figure out that Canderous is actually a melee fighter.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The best light side party is Jolee, you, and Bastilla. When Bastilla is not availible, go Carth or the Wookie.

The best dark side party? You, Canderous, and HK. This is as long as you figure out that Canderous is actually a melee fighter.

I agree to this plenty. Those were the parties I stuck with whenever I played the game going either way. All you have to do for the Jedi characters is set them to the Jedi script (a couple of friends weren't aware of this).

Devoir, the most we'll get out of Revan would be books and a much needed KotOR3. Him being playable I'm not sure of. Ha, maybe they should make it so that you can choose playing the Exile or Revan.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I think Revan worked so well in KoTOR1 because you weren't playing Revan for most of the game. It might just be me, but I don't see him working as well as a playable character or even a major interactive NPC.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    KOTOR 3 when it comes out, not if, will star a brand new character. Revan and the Exile will be characters, probably boss fights depending on how you handle things. It's pretty funny though that while they are the mirror images of the force they both have the same goal.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    KOTOR 3 when it comes out, not if, will star a brand new character. Revan and the Exile will be characters, probably boss fights depending on how you handle things. It's pretty funny though that while they are the mirror images of the force they both have the same goal.

And yet working together they would be a balance.

I've heard nothing of KotOR3 being in the works. If it is, then cool. The third character you would play as needs to have significant roots with Revan and the Exile. That's all I would dare speculate. Well, aside from the threat Revan saw coming to the galaxy.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

And yet working together they would be a balance.

I've heard nothing of KotOR3 being in the works. If it is, then cool. The third character you would play as needs to have significant roots with Revan and the Exile. That's all I would dare speculate. Well, aside from the threat Revan saw coming to the galaxy.

The True Sith are Ewoks.

I'd love to see a Kotor II remake. The Let's Play thread over at SA made me a believer. It really is Planscape II. Easy as shit, silly puzzles, little to no romance, and excellent writing. Also, the same exact theme, but if it ain't broke...

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Did he ever finish that LP? I loved it to death...and then I couldn't got on the SA forums. Do you need to buy an account just to post?

switzky21 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    switzky21 wrote: »
    Did he ever finish that LP? I loved it to death...and then I couldn't got on the SA forums. Do you need to buy an account just to post?

www.letsplayarchive.com

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

www.letsplayarchive.com

As long as the work filter doesn't block this, I now know what I'll be doing during downtime at work for the next two months.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TheFallenLordTheFallenLord Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Forar wrote: »

www.letsplayarchive.com

As long as the work filter doesn't block this, I now know what I'll be doing during downtime at work for the next two months.

I've been reading through a lot of these myself. I can't figure out what codec is used on some of the videos though (slowbeef's LPs). They're .avi, but I've tried DivX and Xvid, and neither work.

I read the KOTOR2 LP on the forums though. Lowtax took my emot-10bux.gif.

TheFallenLord on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Forar wrote: »

www.letsplayarchive.com

I've been reading through a lot of these myself. I can't figure out what codec is used on some of the videos though (slowbeef's LPs). They're .avi, but I've tried DivX and Xvid, and neither work.

I read the KOTOR2 LP on the forums though. Lowtax took my emot-10bux.gif.
    Join the club, that LP stole 10$ from me and I've never been more satisfied with an Internet purchase.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, I forgot about something in KotOR2. You can only pick prestige classes when you swing to one alignment of the Force heavily.

Fuck. That. Shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, I forgot about something in KotOR2. You can only pick prestige classes when you swing to one alignment of the Force heavily.

Fuck. That. Shit.

Not like you can't easily switch your alignment back to neutral, you damn Swiss bastard. Can't trust them neutrals!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I've noticed in my replay of part 2 that anything you say that defends the action of going to war, or most decisions that are very aggressive, don't award Dark Side points. You only get darkside points for irrational "You're going to die right now" decisions. Fucking pitiful design. It really is hard to keep balanced without being forced into randomly killing from time to time. :?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I've noticed in my replay of part 2 that anything you say that defends the action of going to war, or most decisions that are very aggressive, don't award Dark Side points. You only get darkside points for irrational "You're going to die right now" decisions. Fucking pitiful design. It really is hard to keep balanced without being forced into randomly killing from time to time. :?

They did seem to take the super dickery aspect of being evil from KOTOR to an extreme in the sequel. To be fair most of the non muderous choices in the original involve stealing or lying to induce murderous thoughts in others, so it didn't change too much.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

They did seem to take the super dickery aspect of being evil from KOTOR to an extreme in the sequel. To be fair most of the non muderous choices in the original involve stealing or lying to induce murderous thoughts in others, so it didn't change too much.

It goes like this: if you kill or steal, darkside points. If you give or enlighten or avoid conflict or hold a lengthy discussion, lightside points. There's more to the darkside than being a Goddamned serial killer.

And yes, I said lengthy discussion. I had a couple of conversations in the game where there was almost nothing having to do with good vs. evil, and I saw the "Net shift: Light side" message come up after.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The points raised about the whole darkside/lightside are the same reasons why I really feel that the new system Bioware's brought into play for Mass Effect is the way to go when you build both 'sides' of the game around a core narrative.

The endgame result is similar, but the process of getting there is different, but not necessarily good/evil. The two paths are paragon and renegade and they are not mutually exclusive, they are separate meters.

Of course I'm sure it's not perfect, because of how complex it is to model such intricate interactions, but I believe it's more appropriate than dark/light side simply because I think dark/light is too simplistic and only really works on a superficial basis.

devoir on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The points raised about the whole darkside/lightside are the same reasons why I really feel that the new system Bioware's brought into play for Mass Effect is the way to go when you build both 'sides' of the game around a core narrative.

The endgame result is similar, but the process of getting there is different, but not necessarily good/evil. The two paths are paragon and renegade and they are not mutually exclusive, they are separate meters.

Of course I'm sure it's not perfect, because of how complex it is to model such intricate interactions, but I believe it's more appropriate than dark/light side simply because I think dark/light is too simplistic and only really works on a superficial basis.

But this is Star Wars we're talking about.

Star Wars was, at its core, a simple story about good and evil. One side was good. One side was bad. They fight. It's all very black and white and very little in the middle. Those that appear to be in the middle always tend to drift to one side or another. This is not considering the EU stuff.

The light/dark system BioWare made for KOTOR worked very well for its setting. It's a very black and white universe and you can't be both good or bad. You're either one or the other. Your choices don't simply shape who you are, they also physically change who you are. The corrupting influence of the dark side and all that.

Now that BioWare wants to make a more realistic universe for their new game to take place in, the new system makes a lot of sense. I don't think it would have made as much sense in a Star Wars game.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Then you look at Revan. What if you do 'darkside' things for a 'lightside' purpose, because there is no other way?

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Devoir, he is right. Starwars' core, the movies, is black and white.

Which is why a lot of people like the expanded universe because it isn't as simple.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Devoir, he is right. Starwars' core, the movies, is black and white.

Which is why a lot of people like the expanded universe because it isn't as simple.

He?

Couscous on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Then you look at Revan. What if you do 'darkside' things for a 'lightside' purpose, because there is no other way?

That's not BioWare talking. That's Obsidian. BioWare went with a very Lucas-esque vision of the Star Wars universe. Lucas envisioned Star Wars as a struggle between good and absolute evil, and even though he doesn't do a very good job of showing it, in my opinion, all his evil characters are evil and he never tries to give you any other excuses for it other than, well, that's the dark side of the Force for you.

For Lucas, those that are evil don't do evil things for the good of others. They do it for the good of themselves. That's what evil people do in Star Wars. They hunger for power, for money, to dominate others absolutely. They don't do it to make people happy or to protect anyone from anything.

BioWare never gives a real explanation as to why Revan and Malak turned other than the discovery of this great piece of dark side machinery that they find. Obsidian filled that in and Obsidian didn't develop the light/dark system in the game (though there are alignment shifts in Planescape: Torment, it's far less black and white).

In the EU, yes, things are different, but some might agree with me here, but most Star Wars EU is utter shit, especially when they try to inject depth into a universe where its moral shallowness is part of its charm. But that's just me. I do like some of the depth, but... god, the EU is terrible.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm curious as to how Pancake and Henroid are the only people who are allowed to define what is and isn't Star Wars kosher right/wrong, etc in this thread.

devoir on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    not to derail, but man, Lucas is going to have to shed some of that black/white niavete if that Star Wars live action series is going to make it
    Oh wait, Lucas has more money than God and they're making 100 episodes regardless of whether its good or sucks. Great

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm curious as to how Pancake and Henroid are the only people who are allowed to define what is and isn't Star Wars kosher right/wrong, etc in this thread.

No no, I'm just saying that the movies are what Lucas thinks of Starwars, and he is unfortunately the guy who gets to say what goes. The movies are black and white, good and evil.

The expanded universe introduces everything else, Revan included. I like the expanded universe better.

Also, sorry about the he / she mixup (apparently).

Henroid on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If anyone says the Clone Wars part of the EU is shit I will kill you. Kill you.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    If anyone says the Clone Wars part of the EU is shit I will kill you. Kill you.

Well. Seeing how it was actually a movie, it isn't EU. So there's no danger of that.

Henroid on