Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Well I'm having fun while playing the game with my friend, so yes. Yes, it is.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I really hope nobody is pestering any of the staff about when the next Endurance Run is anymore

Considering we've gotten a full one already this year and are in the middle of another one
    I've always viewed that as people asking when are Jeff & Vinny gonna do another Endurance Run, and that's clearly impossible now.

Fibbage endurance run.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Clearly Brad and Jeff will merge Endurance Run teams into the Voltron of Endurance Runs.

Or, you know, Metal Gear Scanlon is basically one, and if people really want another one they should just have Dan on some new ER, maybe with PC games he missed out on. I can imagine Dan playing Deus Ex or Thief and just whopping every single guy in the head.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I really hope nobody is pestering any of the staff about when the next Endurance Run is anymore

Considering we've gotten a full one already this year and are in the middle of another one
    I've always viewed that as people asking when are Jeff & Vinny gonna do another Endurance Run, and that's clearly impossible now.

Jeff has mentioned really digging NYC in the past. Maybe when the games cycle dies down a bit in 2015, he spends like a week or two in NYC hanging out with GBEast, and they just marathon a game like old times.

A boy can dream.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Clearly Brad and Jeff will merge Endurance Run teams into the Voltron of Endurance Runs.

Or, you know, Metal Gear Scanlon is basically one, and if people really want another one they should just have Dan on some new ER, maybe with PC games he missed out on. I can imagine Dan playing Deus Ex or Thief and just whopping every single guy in the head.

I feel like the accents in Deus Ex are exactly how Dan imagines the people from those places speaking.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    They're doing 2 endurance runs right now. Metal Gear Scanlon and Mario Party Party.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Mario Party Party is the most literal Endurance Run.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Does MPP also count as a Breaking Brad?

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    They've done several Endurance Runs since Chrono Trigger, they just don't call it that anymore.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I'm sure that for them the holiday season itself is an Endurance Run of sorts.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Does MPP also count as a Breaking Brad?

I think it's more of a Breaking Jeff.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Bombcast is up!
    A couple of tall, dark and handsome clowns blow into town to tell the tallest tales of comically large telephones, Jeff's history with the Dark Carnival, the latest Surge surge, the "truth" about the Wa "brothers," November hardware sales, the likely whereabouts of Charlie Nash, and... beards.

Man the beard discussion.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/12/16/transformers-universe-is-toast-guys/

That Transformers moba thing is shutting down before leaving beta.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

That Transformers moba thing is shutting down before leaving Bay-ta.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

That Transformers moba thing is shutting down before leaving Bay-ta.

Check and mate.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The MOBA train seems to be dying quicker than the MMO train did.

• Options
    I think it's just quicker to weed out the weak links.

Dota and LoL aren't going anywhere, and I got into the Heroes of the Storm alpha and yo that game is super accessible and fun and I was never a moba guy before.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

It's because everyone is already playing LoL, with a few stragglers on Dota and Smite.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    hope that was worth 20 bucks to you

I flat out can't believe people are paying that much for more recycled Destiny tedium. You can buy a new co-op game for that much on Steam, if you just really love playing with friends or something.

• Options
    I think it's just quicker to weed out the weak links.

Dota and LoL aren't going anywhere, and I got into the Heroes of the Storm alpha and yo that game is super accessible and fun and I was never a moba guy before.

Hots is the best thing to happen to mobas for the casual players like me.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »

I flat out can't believe people are paying that much for more recycled Destiny tedium. You can buy a new co-op game for that much on Steam, if you just really love playing with friends or something.
    1. I already said I enjoy the game mechanically.
    2. I prefer (for many games) consoles over PC
    3. It's my money; I'll spend it on what I want.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The only reason MOBAs look like they're dying faster is because MOBAs can be developed so much faster.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »

1. I already said I enjoy the game mechanically.
    2. I prefer (for many games) consoles over PC
    3. It's my money; I'll spend it on what I want.
    lol 3 sorta doesn't matter, he said he can't believe people are doing it, of course you can do what you want

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    The point is more that he finds it to be worth the value, because he enjoys the game. I'd agree it's a shitty price point considering, you know, it's Destiny, but if you're into it you're into it. It's kind of dickish to shit on the guy in particular (in an offhanded way).

I mean, we can all shit on Destiny together, no reason to make it personal.

Edit: More GB related, I've made it through 100 episodes of their Persona 4 endurance run, typically running in the background as I played through Golden (which I finally finished a few days ago).

I have to wrap up the series, of course, but this might be too much Persona, even if I've stretched it out over the past year.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It'll be interesting to see how much content it eventually gets, and if it'll all get bundled into one megapack when the computer version eventually drops.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options

The point is more that he finds it to be worth the value, because he enjoys the game. I'd agree it's a shitty price point considering, you know, it's Destiny, but if you're into it you're into it. It's kind of dickish to shit on the guy in particular (in an offhanded way).

I mean, we can all shit on Destiny together, no reason to make it personal.

Edit: More GB related, I've made it through 100 episodes of their Persona 4 endurance run, typically running in the background as I played through Golden (which I finally finished a few days ago).

I have to wrap up the series, of course, but this might be too much Persona, even if I've stretched it out over the past year.

I didn't mean to personally insult anyone. I bought Destiny, I played it, and I think it's by far the worst game that came out this year (traded it in and only ended up losing $20 on it). My lack of understanding what people see in it is more based on the fact that I play a lot of different games, I guess, not that I think the people in question are stupid or something. People are entitled to enjoy what they want, I just don't think the mind numbing repetition and offensive stupidity of Destiny is enjoyable.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I think it's because publishers kept expecting MOBAs to be instant, easy money machines without wanting to put in the time it takes for that kind of community or playerbase to grow. EA in particular pulled the plug on Dawngate way too quickly, in my opinion.

LoL took a long time to get where it is. Dota is actually a very old game, despite Valve's version of it being very young. HotS has the pedigree of one of the oldest and most trusted developers out there (which also applies to Dota 2). Smite's probably the most out-of-left-field successful MOBA right now, but Hi-Rez had made games before and Smite in particular was in alpha/beta for nearly two years before being officially "released", plus, as a much smaller company, I'd wager their metrics for financial success were much more reasonable than, say, EA's.

MOBAs are a growing genre, and I think there's room in the industry for a wide variety of them, but publishers are going to need to be willing to aim a little lower.

There are plently of MMO's, but they falter when they try to be the next WoW. There are plenty of first person shooters, but they falter when they try to be the next CoD or TF2.

Similarly, anyone making a MOBA can't go in thinking they have to be the next League of Legends or go home.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I also play a lot of games and I came out of Destiny thinking it is a good game.

It has problems, absolutely. There wasn't enough content. The expansion also does not offer enough content for the price.

But the actual gameplay is really good and I have no trouble seeing why someone would want to keep playing it.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Destiny has excellent shooter mechanics and is by far not the worst game to come out this year. Hyperbole much?

The shooting as a warlock reminded me of Tribes at times, and that was glorious. Too bad that whole epic and sweeping thing they were going for turned out to be "a few planets and some missions you do a whole lot." The missions aren't even that cool really. Nothing really happens? You just kinda go down these various hallways, fight guys, then fight a bulletsponge boss that boils down to avoiding his attacks behind a wall so you don't die while fending off adds. It was definitely disappointing. I even bought the collectors. So I'll probably go try Dark Below at some point.

As for not disappointing, Solid Scanlon 2-10
    Oh my god that level 4 door after the water section

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    No one here has likely played the worst game made in 2014, because it's likely some waste of space cell phone game

You pull from things you've played

I can certainly see Destiny being the worst thing someone played this year if they're picky with their titles

Looking back at what I played in 2014, the worst games I played were Watch Dogs and Transistor

One of which is beloved and the other was a solid 7.0-scoring game

• Options
    EA should utilize that Simpsons license and just do an asset conversion on Dawngate.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I haven't played HOTS so I can't comment on it, but after trying LOL, DOTA, and Smite, I think Smite is my favorite simply because I prefer the control scheme of having direct control of my character.

I just just don't have the mouse skills for the top-down-view type games. Probably why I suck at shooters as well. :P

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    No one here has likely played the worst game made in 2014, because it's likely some waste of space cell phone game

You pull from things you've played

I can certainly see Destiny being the worst thing someone played this year if they're picky with their titles

Looking back at what I played in 2014, the worst games I played were Watch Dogs and Transistor

One of which is beloved and the other was a solid 7.0-scoring game

Awww...don't diss on Transistor :(
    To be honest...I loved it but I know why it's just above average after Bastion.

You're probably right though! (about worst game)

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Well I guess that's why they go for "Most Disappointing" instead of "Worst Game", because you're right: it's likely that the worst game of the year doesn't even get on the radar or is some broken, easily ignored mess.

Or maybe it's Enforcer: Police Crime Action.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Disappointing is different from bad in other ways, too. Nobody is surprised that some piece of shovelware is crap. The expectation and hope aren't there. If you were really looking forward to Destiny and after picking it up were surprised at the MMO trappings because you thought, "These guys made Halo, I can't wait to play another narrative-focused campaign with local cooperative play; I'm going to avoid all media on it so I can go in fresh" then Destiny, despite being fun for a lot of people and good mechanically, could very well be your most disappointing game.

Hell, I'm enjoying my time with it, and I'm disappointed that it's not more like Halo. I'm disappointed that the story doesn't (at least to me) make a ton of sense or appear to really matter to the folks at Bungie. And more than anything, I'm disappointed that there's no local multiplayer available.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Well I guess that's why they go for "Most Disappointing" instead of "Worst Game", because you're right: it's likely that the worst game of the year doesn't even get on the radar or is some broken, easily ignored mess.

Or maybe it's Enforcer: Police Crime Action.

Giant Bomb does both. That motorcycle game won last year, iirc. (R.I.P.D. Would have won, but Vinny hated it so much that he didn't even want to give it any more spotlight than they could help.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Ah yes, I forgot the "Worst Game award, sponsored by Alex Navarro"

In related news, Enforcer: Police Crime Action is on sale on the Humble Store today.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Scanlon has made me play MGS2 again. This time on my Vita. I am doing way better at it and it seems much easier to control.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    There's a new 24/7 Bombcast mixlr stream called The Bombcast Rewind.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    There's a new 24/7 Bombcast mixlr stream called The Bombcast Rewind.
    That's been around for months, I think. Still worth mentioning.

This discussion has been closed.