As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Am I the only one who hate fandoms?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    One time my friends heard that there is a cinema that does monthly screenings of The Room where you're allowed to boo etc. to your hearts content. What the fuck, right? Get to laugh and boo out loud at a stupid movie.

And a bunch of us hadn't seen it but we knew bits and pieces about how terrible it was so we went.

And what we got was this weird microcosm fan club that literally handed out a sheet of in jokes to everyone to yell out during the movie along with a bunch of plastic spoons to throw at the screen. And to be clear, these guys comprised 90% of the audience. Like it was clear they've been going to the same show for months.

So basically it was a bunch of nerds screaming out a bunch of memes they'd made up every 20 seconds through a movie that didn't need any help being awful.

Fandoms are weird.

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Sounds like Rocky Horror.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    yes hello I heard you guys were talking about harry potter in here and how it's better than game of thrones

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait have we talked about fan death in here yet

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    yes hello I heard you guys were talking about harry potter in here and how it's better than game of thrones
    Equally bad

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Equally bad

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

noooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOoooo

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I really liked A Song of Ice and Fire when I started reading it, and by the end of the fourth book I kinda hated it.

I really liked Harry Potter when I started reading it, and by the end of the seventh book I thought it was good but flawed.

So yeah Harry Potter is better.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I feel like I'm not self aware enough to know if I'm in a fandom. There doesn't seem to be a topic in my life that I engage with exclusively with other people.
    I do discuss a lot of stuff in the realm of boardgames and videogames with my brothers and close friends. I probably talk to my brothers about the nonsense that occurs on Giantbomb a tad too often. Prob more annoying than anything.
    I've never felt the need to ship any of those people or obsess over their personal activities though.
    Shipping is kind of weird to me, as I'm kinda allergic to romantic stories, because I know I can empathize super hard. I know I will weep the biggest tears over a Romeo and Juliet style tragedy.
    Folk seem to ship where there's no romantic connection at all though, and I don't really understand why you'd invent something to get that wound up in. Not my thing. It appears to hold all the negative aspects of love, without the positive feedback of a living relationship. Honestly, I don't think I've ever obsessed over a celebrity in that way either.

I apologize if this post comes off as judgmental. I'm more just trying to work this thread's topics out in my head in relation to myself- than specifically badmouth or shame anyone's pastime or identity.
    Like, if you get something positive out of it, all the power to you!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    I really liked A Song of Ice and Fire when I started reading it, and by the end of the fourth book I kinda hated it.

I really liked Harry Potter when I started reading it, and by the end of the seventh book I thought it was good but flawed.

So yeah Harry Potter is better.

I hated the entirety of the first Harry Potter book because Harry Potter is less of a character in it and more of a Soulless MacGuffin with no personality surrounded by somewhat more interesting people who I, frankly, would much prefer to read about.

And Game of Thrones is about a whole bunch of greedy assholes fighting over shit that isn't theirs in the first place.

So, yeah, Game of Thrones.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Unless the final book is "Game of Democracy" its quite hard to care about the outcome of that world, and by the end of the fifth book you're just kinda hoping the 3 remaining decent characters somehow find a way to weather the storm (they won't).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    This is one of the rare times in literature where I really don't give a shit if good triumphs over evil, I just wanna see how the clusterfuck shakes out.

Like, if there's a single human being I'm even rooting for at this point it's maybe Tirion.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    The reason I like Song of Ice and Fire is that the world is really fleshed out with a full history and all the characters do their thing, rather than the world revolving around a single hero and his party members.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I think Harry Potter depends a lot on when you read it, it was a great series to read growing up when you're the same age as the characters, and as an adult yeah they're not that amazing compared to other books but you can't take away that nostalgia feeling and knowing that those books (in my case) gave a lot of comfort to a lot of lonely teenage kids. I can see why as a stand alone series they're not that fantastic without that context.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I feel like an internet safety class would consist of a teacher walking in and saying "Don't."

Class dismissed.

so, this but hollywood cyberthriller bullshit instead of horror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUa3ft2nhyA

i'd watch it

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    Firefly got a lot less appealing when I realized that Jayne is essentially Adam Baldwin

no, not ACTED BY

IS

I know dubh knows this but it bears repeating as often as possible that adam baldwin is a genuinely terrible excuse for a human being
    How so?

adam-baldwin-ebola-tweet.jpg

I still can't believe this is a real thing he actually said.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    the Transformers fandom is still big but that's because of Animated, Prime, and MTMtE actually being good and bringing in new people, moreso than sheer nostalgia for G1, at this point

I have probably hooked a few of my friends on MTMtE. They didn't care about Transformers before that.

I'd also be rather happy if I was right and Chromia and Nautica are a couple, but it won't be the worst thing ever if they aren't.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    my personfriend and I started dating after I mentioned I read MTMTE for the gay robot feels and they got so excited because they'd never met anyone else in person from the fandom

which led to a lot more conversations and generally getting along and things like that which are important for a relationship

• Options
    yes Geth I do have the gay robot feels, and y'all are pretty cute (it's mostly the strong shoulders but them legs are gorgeous too)

• Options
    okay Geth those agrees are just getting flirty now

• Options
    don't fuck robots

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    meh, I doubt I'd ever actually fuck a robot

but damn, if a construct of digital logic and forged metal, given raw and absolute purpose, doesn't stir some kind of powerful feeling in you, you ain't on my wavelength

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    only fuck robots

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    yeah, how could i not be turned on by the cold and calculating murder bot, just looking for an excuse to kill all humans

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I like books where the stakes feel real. I literally have no idea if any given character is going to die in Game of Thrones, but you can see the reasons why they're going to die a mile away once you've had the YA wool pulled off your eyes.

Nothing against YA novels, but the heroes tend to come out on top a lot more than they should with less consequences than there should be.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    don't fuck robots

never not fuck robots

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    yeah, how could i not be turned on by the cold and calculating murder bot, just looking for an excuse to kill all humans

Don't talk about Aigis-chan like that.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Nothing against YA novels, but the heroes tend to come out on top a lot more than they should with less consequences than there should be.

I'll never forget Robin Jarvis's The Woven Path; a real punch in the gut for a young lad, that was.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    don't fuck robots

Wrong!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    don't fuck robots

Wrong!

The quote is Don't date robots, so it is wrong.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I'll never forget Robin Jarvis's The Woven Path; a real punch in the gut for a young lad, that was.

I read the Dragonlance series before I got into Game of Thrones. I had an iron gut from being gut-punched regularly by that point.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I think Harry Potter depends a lot on when you read it, it was a great series to read growing up when you're the same age as the characters, and as an adult yeah they're not that amazing compared to other books but you can't take away that nostalgia feeling and knowing that those books (in my case) gave a lot of comfort to a lot of lonely teenage kids. I can see why as a stand alone series they're not that fantastic without that context.

I started reading Harry Potter when I was about the same Harry is in the first book, maybe a bit younger

Harry Potter is my childhood book, absolutely

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I also think, and this is not an attempt to be a dig at anyone in the slightest but is quite important, that Harry Potter works a lot better for older readers if you are British

because a lot of it is criticism of British politics and British media and the British class systems etc, and I feel that there's a lot of the nuance in the book which only works if you realise what kind of person and system they are supposed to be tearing into. Rita Skeeter and the Daily Prophet, for example, represents the 80s and 90s tabloid newspapers in the UK very specifically, sure she represents tabloid media in general, but there's a direct link there which readers who are not familiar with the British tabloid media might not catch (the phrasing of the headlines, the way she seeks information about Harry etc)

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    don't fuck robots

Wrong!

The quote is Don't date robots, so it is wrong.

Quote? No, I assure you I was just offering some very good relationship advice

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Robots are our future.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Is it really our future if we are all dead?

Gvzbgul on