Incenjucar wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    i don't consider art a meaningful word

people just use it to mean "i like this" or perhaps "i see merit in this"

I think it's useful, or rather, calling someone one of the many subdivisions of art is useful. Saying "this is a poem" forces people to evaluate it as such. That people express their dislike by denying its poemhood is dumb.

what's your definition of a poem?

My definition of a poem is that someone has called it such. My definition of poetry is "the art of language". Calling something a poem tells me there is something interesting or noteworthy happening with language.

Fair definition.

But like, why is it less stupid than any other definition

Why is any word's definition more or less stupid than another?

my point of view is basically utilitiarian

go with the definition that gets you the most useful word; all the rest is just arbitrary

not that I'm saying that the "this shit art can't be art" thing is logically sound or a useful definition of art

I just think getting mildly annoyed by someone's definition is stupid

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    And then in the comments there's the inevitable "oh so if I take a shit that's art then, got it" dbag response, completely ignoring the actual arguments proposed about what art is

lol at these people

who cares if people don't care about art

On a general level, people denying categorical attributes because they don't adhere to some assigned values of that category is a tactic used to dismiss countercultural, heterodox, or otherwise novel modes of thinking. Deliberately restricting what is or what is not X does nothing but further traditional views, and I personally think traditional views in (and of) art are oppressive and restrictive, as media (that is, things that act as a medium between a speaker and an audience) tends to be

On an even broader level, concepts and values held by the layperson are on some level important. 'Culture' must constantly be under maintenance, which is why 'stagnant' societies are considered bad - without the constant reiteration and active pursuit of such, the backslide into painful ignorance, ideological fascism, etc is inevitable. Saying, 'alright, this is art, and that's that' allows for a completely black-and-white picture of the world, and that is what I fear most

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I think it's useful, or rather, calling someone one of the many subdivisions of art is useful. Saying "this is a poem" forces people to evaluate it as such. That people express their dislike by denying its poemhood is dumb.

My definition of a poem is that someone has called it such. My definition of poetry is "the art of language". Calling something a poem tells me there is something interesting or noteworthy happening with language.

Fair definition.

It's less stupid because it pushes us to evaluate it on its own terms rather than how well it fits into the preconceived notions of what poetry is.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Come on guys, words don't have meaning anymore we are a post-vocabulary society.

If you really had something to say you'd say it with emojisms.

:so_raven:

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    And then in the comments there's the inevitable "oh so if I take a shit that's art then, got it" dbag response, completely ignoring the actual arguments proposed about what art is

lol at these people

On a general level, people denying categorical attributes because they don't adhere to some assigned values of that category is a tactic used to dismiss countercultural, heterodox, or otherwise novel modes of thinking. Deliberately restricting what is or what is not X does nothing but further traditional views, and I personally think traditional views in (and of) art are oppressive and restrictive, as media (that is, things that act as a medium between a speaker and an audience) tends to be

On an even broader level, concepts and values held by the layperson are on some level important. 'Culture' must constantly be under maintenance, which is why 'stagnant' societies are considered bad - without the constant reiteration and active pursuit of such, the backslide into painful ignorance, ideological fascism, etc is inevitable. Saying, 'alright, this is art, and that's that' allows for a completely black-and-white picture of the world, and that is what I fear most

lol at these people

ITT: Eddy affirms the consequent

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Come on guys, words don't have meaning anymore we are a post-vocabulary society.

If you really had something to say you'd say it with emojisms.

:so_raven:

(_o_)

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Also, the reference number on my submission implies that it was the 264th article received for review this month.

Lol!

(this journal publishes 3-4 articles a month)

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Art discussion is not a topic that the art world and the populace at large are ready to have in good faith.

• Options

Fair definition.

go with the definition that gets you the most useful word; all the rest is just arbitrary

not that I'm saying that the "this shit art can't be art" thing is logically sound or a useful definition of art

Going for the purely utilitarian option, and only that, especially with something as complex and interesting as language and all the things we can do with it, is quite an amusing option as well

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Eh, plenty of stuff acknowledged as poems are all about sound rather than deeper meaning.

So.

Wikifail.

oh, yeah, good point, "meanings" is kinda restrictive unless you want to do some gymnastics about that word

hm...

Poetry is a form of literature that uses qualities of language for purposes in addition to, or in place of, the prosaic ostensible meaning?

it's not an ironclad definition but then again, no wiki opening sentence is supposed to be, either

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Fair definition.

More or less the same for me.

I mostly get annoyed when people use language in a solipsistic manner because it requires so much more conversation to convey information.

My time is more valuable to me than someone getting to use their pet definitions.

• Options
    prosaic ostensible meaning is kinda meaningless, just a "that... other sort of thing, you know" kind of deal

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Also, the reference number on my submission implies that it was the 264th article received for review this month.

Lol!

I believe your article will change the field as we know it. Straight to the front of the queue!

• Options
    Gim wrote: »
    Art discussion is not a topic that the art world and the populace at large are ready to have in good faith.

The populace at large likes Thomas Kinkade paintings but the art world produces junk like "gray post it notes one is out of place isn't that interesting".

There's a lot of condemnation to go around and no innocents.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

lol at these people

SHOTS

FIRED

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Having spent incredibly little brain power thinking about the definition of a poem I will go with a slightly abbreviated version of wikipedia's definition until such a time that I forget about it or find another one I like more

Poetry is a form of literature that uses qualities of language to evoke meanings in addition to, or in place of, the prosaic ostensible meaning

which works for me. I don't see any good argument for calling all language a poem. Pointless word, then.

I think it's absolutely fair to say that all language could potentially be a poem. Again, its all about the framing of it.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

lol at these people

I think a person's response to unconventional artworks can be a pretty decent sign of a black-and-white worldview

Eddy on
  • Options

The populace at large likes Thomas Kinkade paintings but the art world produces junk like "gray post it notes one is out of place isn't that interesting".

I find the grey post it notes interesting.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    idk if i want to get like a nice snack

or drink something

or just have a few liters of water and finish off the pizza from last night

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Trying to discuss the philosophy of art with drunk abdhy is in itself art

• Options
    Having spent incredibly little brain power thinking about the definition of a poem I will go with a slightly abbreviated version of wikipedia's definition until such a time that I forget about it or find another one I like more

Poetry is a form of literature that uses qualities of language to evoke meanings in addition to, or in place of, the prosaic ostensible meaning

which works for me. I don't see any good argument for calling all language a poem. Pointless word, then.

I think it's absolutely fair to say that all language could potentially be a poem. Again, its all about the framing of it.

"Poetry" that doesn't make a substantial effort to compact a larger amount of meaning or emotion into the poem then you could get by simply speaking plainly is probably not poetry. It's more likely bad english that someone is hoping to obfuscate by claiming it's poetry.

I would need to do more research to confirm this hypothesis but I think it's a pretty solid starting point.

• Options

lol at these people

ideological fascism as like... a fascism of ideologies

or like the ideology fascism

anyway my counterpoint here is just gonna be, art is not that important

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    embracing art as ideological confrontation leads to a loss of support from the petite bourgeoisie. it is this, not ideological fascism, which is the dominant state of affairs, especially under an excess of liberal arts students seeking portfolios. the default state of student politics is vapidity and self-absorption, not incisive insight and solidarity

public art must be mostly normal rockwell if piss christ is to retain its edge, anyway

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015

"Poetry" that doesn't make a substantial effort to compact a larger amount of meaning or emotion into the poem then you could get by simply speaking plainly is probably not poetry. It's more likely bad english that someone is hoping to obfuscate by claiming it's poetry.

I would need to do more research to confirm this hypothesis but I think it's a pretty solid starting point.

I really disagree with this. There is amazing prose poetry out there. Some of it's maximalist too

Eddy on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Lol!

Start your own journal that publishes 50 articles a month, FUCK THE SYSTEM

• Options

bitch please I haven't even finished my first pint

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

lol at these people

ideological fascism as like... a fascism of ideologies

or like the ideology fascism

anyway my counterpoint here is just gonna be, art is not that important

it's bold strategy, cotton, let's see how it plays out for him

• Options

I find the grey post it notes interesting.

And lots of people think charming cottage with flowers #8,367 is beautiful.

My point is that you're all already dead. Go into the light.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

have you tried showing him pictures of boats and ice

steam_sig.png
  • Options

have you tried showing him pictures of boats and ice

I'm really confused as to why he does that, along with posting tumblr art stuff too

it's really not that important

• Options

Nope! Emotion and meaning are not the end-all, be-all purposes of language. Perhaps they are the qualities you need to enjoy poems, but there are poems that not particularly meaningful or emotional that are still performative of the art of language. Also, there are plenty of poems that do speak plainly. WCW Williams is a pretty obvious example.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Coinage wrote: »

Lol!

Start your own journal that publishes 50 articles a month, FUCK THE SYSTEM

You'll see from my CV that I have several publications in the prestigious "Southwest Nowhere and Salad Bar Journal of Not Very Good Philosophy"

MrMister on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    commercial jingles are the apex of art expression

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I really disagree with this. There is amazing prose poetry out there. Some of it's maximalist too

I agree that poetry that takes more words to say less is amazing.

Just not the good kind of amazing. I also don't find those 8,000 page fantasy novels with endless descriptions of people's breakfast entertaining.

I'm probably just being picky.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I submit that the impact of prose is heavily contingent on its presentation and inaccessibility

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Pizza in the morning,
    Pizza in the evenin',
    Pizza at suppertime!
    When pizza's on a bagel,
    You can eat pizza anytime!

has anyone ever wrote anything as deep as that shit?

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    The Residents agreed with you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSlFl5H76A

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »

IT'S THE STATE-MINT
    OF THE GREAT-MINT
    IN DOUBLE-MINT GUM!
    :whistle:

• Options

I agree that poetry that takes more words to say less is amazing.

Just not the good kind of amazing. I also don't find those 8,000 page fantasy novels with endless descriptions of people's breakfast entertaining.

I'm probably just being picky.

every time GRRM orgasms over capons and juices dribbling down chins like waterfalls, I spend seven years finding myself in tibet

This discussion has been closed.