Options

Omega powered [chat]

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    also i enjoy that we have Wednesday Night Drinking Club as a work sponsored event

poo
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Roommate is taking a class about anime and she came back today with her (for the class) copy of akira and was like WATCH THIS KANYE WEST VIDEO WITH ME OH MY GODDDDD

I enjoy this friendship

Is simonwolf teaching already?

oh, wiat, no, If he were teaching, it'd be Madoka Magica.

yeah unfortunately the class is really not covering anything particularly recent, and also isn't covering almost anything remotely shojo-ish even

they're not even talking about sailor moon

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    this article is interesting

This video blew my mind:

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Roommate is taking a class about anime and she came back today with her (for the class) copy of akira and was like WATCH THIS KANYE WEST VIDEO WITH ME OH MY GODDDDD

I enjoy this friendship

yeah unfortunately the class is really not covering anything particularly recent, and also isn't covering almost anything remotely shojo-ish even

Simonwolf is writing an angry letter right now.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

I enjoy this friendship

I'd appreciate not being shoehorned,
    I am a scholar in all the disparate fields of anime, from magical girl studies to moenomics

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    DEEBASER DID YOU SEE MY THING ABOUT "Machine of Death"??

i am sorry. I thought I responded. The box art is definitely something that looks like it would be in my wheel house but I checked out the actual game, and eeeehhhhhhh. It's like cards against humanity meets a bad improv team.

Thanks for looking out anyway! :D

Deebaser on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    So there's been this thing in the news about the Aussie cricket team being mean.

And it turns out they were extra mean to the New Zealanders, because last time the New Zealanders were really nice to the Aussies?

Sports are weird.

I guess the Aussie cricket team doesn't do the haka?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2EXDSr9Vro

They have crazy eyes. Would not fuck with.

Reminds me of an awkward memory.

In College, we had an international markets class where every team was assigned a country and had to talk about various aspects of it economically and business-wise.

The presentation for the culture of New Zealand was all about maori culture.

and we had to grade the teams' presentations.

So i was like (On my grading paper) "Maori culture isn't really the dominant culture in New Zealand. Would they have talked about the First Nations extensively if they had been assigned Canada?"

I mean... i'm right, right? Western culture is dominant in New Zealand since it got colonized by the brits, right?

Mortious

Mostly.

I'd say the mainstream culture, and the culture of those in power (Government, big business) is predominantly western/british.

But, like South Africa, we present a veneer of Maori culture to all our outward facing interactions. Foreign dignitaries will be greeted by traditionally dressed Maori warriors doing the Haka etc.

But i mean...

You guys don't do the haka before meeting with foreign investors, do you?

If you do, can i see?

I wouldn't put it past them.

But I'm mostly speaking from my perspective. It's pretty much the same culture as South Africa, just with different souvenirs.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    So there's been this thing in the news about the Aussie cricket team being mean.

And it turns out they were extra mean to the New Zealanders, because last time the New Zealanders were really nice to the Aussies?

Sports are weird.

In College, we had an international markets class where every team was assigned a country and had to talk about various aspects of it economically and business-wise.

So i was like (On my grading paper) "Maori culture isn't really the dominant culture in New Zealand. Would they have talked about the First Nations extensively if they had been assigned Canada?"

I mean... i'm right, right? Western culture is dominant in New Zealand since it got colonized by the brits, right?

Mortious

Mostly.

I'd say the mainstream culture, and the culture of those in power (Government, big business) is predominantly western/british.

But, like South Africa, we present a veneer of Maori culture to all our outward facing interactions. Foreign dignitaries will be greeted by traditionally dressed Maori warriors doing the Haka etc.

But i mean...

If you do, can i see?

But I'm mostly speaking from my perspective. It's pretty much the same culture as South Africa, just with different souvenirs.

i'm giggling, imagine a white man in a suit doing a haka to strike fear in foreign investors.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

i am sorry. I thought I responded. The box art is definitely something that looks like it would be in my wheel house but I checked out the actual game, and eeeehhhhhhh. It's like cards against humanity meets a bad improv team.

aww damn! oh well

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I should be okay because all my other physics marks have all been awesome and I only need a credit average for the semester but I really really want the (H)D(s). :winky:

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Sports are weird.

Mortious

Mostly.

But i mean...

If you do, can i see?

Same insistence on swallowing vowels

Just different vowels

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Brock Lesnar is da bes

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Blameless Cleric, BTW, can you harass me tomorrow into doing my damn drawing exercises?

I didn't do them in a whiiiile now.

and now i'm going to bed.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    If there is better value than knob creek, I don't know what it is.

four roses. it's delicious and practically free.

I have a bottle of four roses single barrel that I haven't even opened yet. I've had it almost 2 years!

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

aww damn! oh well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RmOZgTMJAM

I made it about halfway through this playtest video before I just started screaming "SHUT UP SHUT UP I DONT CARE IM LEAVING"

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Machine of Death is great but if you need hard mechanics in your games to play them, you aren't going to like it, since it is mostly about improvising and riffing ideas

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Sports are weird.

Mortious

Mostly.

But i mean...

If you do, can i see?

i'm giggling, imagine a white man in a suit doing a haka to strike fear in foreign investors.

There was an interview with our Shotput lady, who after she won the gold medal in throwing things at the Olympics, stayed out until 2am hoping that when she got back to the Village all the New Zealanders would be asleep so she wouldn't be greeted by a haka.

That backfired.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    But with the haka there's no appropriation going on. White dudes saw the haka / maori dudes on their team showed them, the white dudes said "Yeah that's fuckin' awesome, we should do that", and now they do it too. But they're not saying "this is OUR culture, we are the face of it nono pay no mind to those brown people nobody cares about their opinion on these things anyway." And whatever cultural weight the Haka has in its native culture, they were already doing it before sporting events as well. The white guys are copying, not stealing nor replacing. This isn't like a team buying a bunch of fake Indian headdresses and doing a war dance before their sporting event because lol injuns.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Sports are weird.

White Kiwis also do the Haka in sports.

Such cultural appropriation

Pretty sure cricket teams don't though. As it is a game for gentlemem

It is cultural appropriation. Which raises the question: how do you treat cultural minorities in such a way that they are never appropriated from but also are not isolated and disenfranchised? I'm sure Maori have a laundry list of grievances. I wonder where the haka being adopted by the national rugby team actually rates on that list.

Not sure.

But there are loads of Maori rugby players because they are gifted with the genetics of trucks.

On the other hand I don't believe cultural appropriation is a thing, so I care not at all whether it is a grievance or no.

I'm inclined to agree with what I think you're saying, that "cultural appropriation" as it is used as a complaint is nonsense, in the sense that you literally cannot control or stop cultural transfer short of raising wall and cutting yourself off from other cultures.

I think there is validity to complaints along the lines of "don't use my ethnic minority group as a fucking mascot for your god damned football team" but I think there is zero validity to complaints along the lines of "white girls stop twerkin you are stealing our culture".

The only way you can stop other cultures from stealing your fashion food and dance moves is to literally have shitty clothes, disgusting food, and lame dance moves. And even that won't stop all instances, it will only slow it down while speeding up how quickly your own people replace your fashion food and dancing with stuff from other cultures that doesn't suck.

• Options

I have a bottle of four roses single barrel that I haven't even opened yet. I've had it almost 2 years!

no. dude. You know the yellow label,that bottle that cost a hair under $20?
    It's good. It's better than it has any right to be at that price point.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

This video blew my mind:

well

i meant the one about ecstacy higher up on the page

poo
  • Options

This video blew my mind:

well

i meant the one about ecstacy higher up on the page

THAT WAS NOT CLEAR.

• Options

I enjoy this friendship

da fuq?

Any Princess Knight or Rose of Versailles at least?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    But with the haka there's no appropriation going on. White dudes saw the haka / maori dudes on their team showed them, the white dudes said "Yeah that's fuckin' awesome, we should do that", and now they do it too. But they're not saying "this is OUR culture, we are the face of it nono pay no mind to those brown people nobody cares about their opinion on these things anyway." And whatever cultural weight the Haka has in its native culture, they were already doing it before sporting events as well. The white guys are copying, not stealing nor replacing. This isn't like a team buying a bunch of fake Indian headdresses and doing a war dance before their sporting event because lol injuns.

The haka is pretty cool. If it weren't for my strict no dancing policy, I'd be done for that.

On another note:
    Zvt5Hv0.jpg

Healthy April Fool's office snacks.

• Options

The haka is pretty cool. If it weren't for my strict no dancing policy, I'd be done for that.

On another note:
    Zvt5Hv0.jpg

Healthy April Fool's office snacks.

OMG I can't stop laughing at this. I can't breathe send help

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I enjoy this friendship

WHAT
    qQixtMl.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2015

I enjoy this friendship

da fuq?

yeah both of those

She says they've done

-Astro Boy
    -Mickey Mouse a little bit (influence on Tezuka)
    -Read a piece by John Dower (War without Mercy)
    -Read/watched Beribbon Knight/ Ribbon no Kishi
    -Read "Tezuka & Disney: A biological homage to Mickey Mouse" by Gould]
    -Read McCloud's "Understanding Comics"
    -Rose of Versaille
    -Tatsumi: The Pushman
    -"Adult Manga" by Kinsella
    -Discussed Kamishibai
    -Looked at Kibyoshi prints
    -Watched Gundam
    -Read Anne Allison's "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers"
    -Watched and read Akira
    -Read Nausicaa
    -Read parts of La Marre's "Anime Machine"
    -Read Shamoon's paper "Office sluts and Rebel Flowers"
    -Read Ghost in the Shell
    -Talking about Final Fantasy 7 and Pokemon

oh hey there's more here than I thought! she talks a lot about how mad she is about the omitting of Sailor Moon

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    When you think about it aren't all animus basically just retellings of bible stories?

• Options
    On the upside ipad now replaces anime with animu automagically

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Right now our biggest obstacle is we are homeless.

You know when you're asking for a $100,000 to start your multimedia empire! RPG book, that's gonna be a massive red flag.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Hey @Blameless Cleric are you majoring in arting in school?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    That brings the total publishing cost to $97,000. Remaining $3,000 will be used for any unforeseen costs during the process.

PM sense tingling.

• Options
    Hey @Blameless Cleric are you majoring in arting in school?

animating so sort of yes

• Options
    With the money we receive we will be putting both the story arc and rule book through professional editing twice, cost is about $40,000 per book ($20,000 per edit). The total cost for editing is $80,000.

Wait, what?

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I can't tell whether he was being at all serious or whether everything he said was just making fun of the French study.

• Options

I enjoy this friendship

da fuq?

yeah both of those

She says they've done

-Astro Boy
    -Mickey Mouse a little bit (influence on Tezuka)
    -Read a piece by John Dower (War without Mercy)
    -Read/watched Beribbon Knight/ Ribbon no Kishi
    -Read "Tezuka & Disney: A biological homage to Mickey Mouse" by Gould]
    -Read McCloud's "Understanding Comics"
    -Rose of Versaille
    -Tatsumi: The Pushman
    -"Adult Manga" by Kinsella
    -Discussed Kamishibai
    -Looked at Kibyoshi prints
    -Watched Gundam
    -Read Anne Allison's "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers"
    -Watched and read Akira
    -Read Nausicaa
    -Read parts of La Marre's "Anime Machine"
    -Read Shamoon's paper "Office sluts and Rebel Flowers"
    -Read Ghost in the Shell
    -Talking about Final Fantasy 7 and Pokemon

oh hey there's more here than I thought! she talks a lot about how mad she is about the omitting of Sailor Moon

Huh, interesting. Kind of a eclectic mix of manga, anime, and tie-in stuff there.

Now I'm trying to figure out what I would set up as a reading list for a class like that. Those introductory, overview level kinda classes always seem like the hardest to plan out.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I can't tell whether he was being at all serious or whether everything he said was just making fun of the French study.

Dude check the date.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also wat action film should i show to a 10 yr old and a 13 yr old hu hav not watched any films older than 2000 really

i considered the matrix for the lulz but the 10 year old was like NO IM NOT WATCHING THAT THE CGI IS AWFUL and i lold

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Dude check the date.

Oh right.

God I hate this non-holiday.

This discussion has been closed.