As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

j[chat]awala

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    guys i am already busy re-learning piano and doing this finger drumming course but now I am becoming obsessed with picking up guitar too

i have spent like half of today reading about soldering your own stomp boxes

what is wrong with me

one of you kids give me some of your ADD drugs or something

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The current iTunes model is pay 25 bucks a year and have everything everywhere all the time always and just download stuff off the cloud if you need it offline.

It's pretty hard to make it simpler than that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Having itunes on your computer is like sharing an office with someone that insists on "organising" your stuff when you're not there.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * SWOLE PATROL "IRON IS FORGED IN FLAMES" RIBBON * ~

@hakkekage

ilu u desc u r my sun and stars

my approval is extremely conditional and based only on relentless athletic performance so don't get too comfortable

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    I liked iTunes database syncing model. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who liked it on its own merits. I had way too much music in the iPod days and found it useful to set up sync rules rather than drag stuff on and off. It took a little more thought but it made my usage possible, which it wasn't before.

Now everything lives is some kind of nebulous cloud database so you don't have to drag files or setup sync rules. Not gonna pretend that's not an improvement in every sense.

Nah there are a lot of people who liked it.

Even as tech minded and DIY as I am, every time someone extolls the merits of self-managed folders filled with their MP3s and synching to the player like it were a flash drive as some kind of a good thing compared to what itunes (and later Zune) did I just don't get it. Purposefully making your life harder to be in control of something that in no way needs you in control of it is just the peak of wasted energy.

It didn't make my life harder. There's the MP3, move it to the player, done. People just want to say "This song, here" and no faff in between.

The actually extra work involved is in managing and structuring your collection so that it's all in the right place, via folders and tags and such. And the thing is, iTunes isn't very good at that either. Fiddling with MP3 info and tags and such via iTunes is a real pain in the ass and like everything, Apple does not play well with others.

I buy a CD (or a digital album), drop it into iTunes or rip it, and I'm done. The album art, all the track info, the metadata, everything just kind of shows up. I never dig into the folders, I have no reason to. The very concept of even going into those folders feels alien to me at this point - like the shit I used to do when WinAmp/X11Amp was whipping the llama's ass.

And if I needed to edit any of the metadata because it was music I made or something, you just right click the song, select Show Info, and go nuts.

Maybe its all shit in windows? Like, the process is painless as fuck.

DK was just explaining how it is all shit in windows

As a general rule Microsoft products are curiously sexier in OS X and apple products suck balls in windows

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    japan wrote: »
    Having itunes on your computer is like sharing an office with someone that insists on "organising" your stuff when you're not there.

As this person in my office: you are all horrible slobs and barely human. If you want to once again wallow in piles of filth, you'll have to kill me first.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

@hakkekage

my approval is extremely conditional and based only on relentless athletic performance so don't get too comfortable

i wont let you down sensei

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I liked iTunes database syncing model. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who liked it on its own merits. I had way too much music in the iPod days and found it useful to set up sync rules rather than drag stuff on and off. It took a little more thought but it made my usage possible, which it wasn't before.

Now everything lives is some kind of nebulous cloud database so you don't have to drag files or setup sync rules. Not gonna pretend that's not an improvement in every sense.

Even as tech minded and DIY as I am, every time someone extolls the merits of self-managed folders filled with their MP3s and synching to the player like it were a flash drive as some kind of a good thing compared to what itunes (and later Zune) did I just don't get it. Purposefully making your life harder to be in control of something that in no way needs you in control of it is just the peak of wasted energy.

It didn't make my life harder. There's the MP3, move it to the player, done. People just want to say "This song, here" and no faff in between.

The actually extra work involved is in managing and structuring your collection so that it's all in the right place, via folders and tags and such. And the thing is, iTunes isn't very good at that either. Fiddling with MP3 info and tags and such via iTunes is a real pain in the ass and like everything, Apple does not play well with others.

I buy a CD (or a digital album), drop it into iTunes or rip it, and I'm done. The album art, all the track info, the metadata, everything just kind of shows up. I never dig into the folders, I have no reason to. The very concept of even going into those folders feels alien to me at this point - like the shit I used to do when WinAmp/X11Amp was whipping the llama's ass.

And if I needed to edit any of the metadata because it was music I made or something, you just right click the song, select Show Info, and go nuts.

DK was just explaining how it is all shit in windows

As a general rule Microsoft products are curiously sexier in OS X and apple products suck balls in windows

I mean I get how iTunes the software is shit in windows because of the bloat and non-adherence to windows interface norms, but I would figure the iTunes library itself has to be near-identical. You can just drop a windows iTunes library onto a mac and load it right up.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

hakkekage

hands off my desc u slag

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh, my phone is also out of money.

This is too much, timeout.

Not going to make it to Wednesday.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

hakkekage

hands off my desc u slag

fuck u scheck he apreciates me more im not goin out there winnin cheeseburg eating medals

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    man I love Every Frame A Painting so much

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

I ripped it years ago in another program or I didn't rip it directly from the CD on my computer or I didn't want to touch iTunes in the first place but my wife wants the song so I copy it to her computer or a host of other reasons.

Apple won't read the tag properly. Or it doesn't like the file at all and won't even tell you that and just mysteriously never touches it. And there's no good way to mass edit files or figure out why Apple thinks two songs with the exactly the same album name are actually from two different albums with exactly the same name. And on and on and on.

It's a pain in the ass.

shryke on
  • Options

As this person in my office: you are all horrible slobs and barely human. If you want to once again wallow in piles of filth, you'll have to kill me first.

Worse than my mother

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

hakkekage

hands off my desc u slag

fuck u scheck he apreciates me more im not goin out there winnin cheeseburg eating medals

nice try

desc literally once sent me a message that said "scheck u r the best and i luv u 5eva and pls nver leve me" verbatim thats wat he said

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

you could literally throw everything into a big pile and run a lawnmover over it and you'd do just as much damage

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

as someone subjected to this, I demand to know what the bloody hell has happened to my annotated printout of the 2012 edition of the CAP Grey Book

it was stapled to my copy of the ABI General Terms of Agreement as applicable to start dates post July 2011

• Options
    no organising you can do is so good that it weighs up for moving everything to a new place

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

hakkekage

hands off my desc u slag

nice try

desc literally once sent me a message that said "scheck u r the best and i luv u 5eva and pls nver leve me" verbatim thats wat he said

gasp

ur lying

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    okay my cast iron skillet says it is 7.8 lbs but that can't be right

or it is just a really long handle and all the weight is on the other end probably

SO HEAVY, MAZZY

Weak baby arm Castle.

Get more swole.

u shuld climb rocks
    Austin has good climb

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    "We were just talking about how much we miss you."

Person hasn't messaged me in 7 months.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    My response to the iTunes issue is "no comment" but if we are talking office organization, statistically speaking almost all of you are terrible and I hate you.

If you know where everything is, then why do you spend all day looking for shit, give up, say you lost it, then tell me you found it a week later. You all get nothing done you are the worst.

• Options

hakkekage

hands off my desc u slag

nice try

gasp

ur lying

n. i never lie. except when burgers are on the line

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I am basically a reference material hoarder

• Options
    Organizing poorly is worse than not organizing, but that is true of nearly everything.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The current iTunes model is pay 25 bucks a year and have everything everywhere all the time always and just download stuff off the cloud if you need it offline.

wait like $25 bucks a year to manage your personal library across all devices, or is some media included?

i guess i don't really see the appeal in that, if i'm streaming over the cloud that's going to eat data like crazy

as it is i just have my Music folder, any music I have is listed by its song title, album, and artist, and I just shove all of that gracelessly into whatever music device i have (which is my iphone since who carries a separate mp3 device on them anymore) and i update it maybe every couple of months when i get around to putting any new tracks in my library

i'd like it a lot better if i didn't have to open up a bloated, slow-ass player that manages to run poorly no matter how much or little i'm running concurrently, manually sync the folder, and then wait for the whole syncing process to finish

if i could just open up the music folder and then a directory for the phone itself and just shove all the files in there i'd be much happier to deal with it and might actually deal with the process often enough to really bother keeping my library updated

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    My response to the iTunes issue is "no comment" but if we are talking office organization, statistically speaking almost all of you are terrible and I hate you.

If you know where everything is, then why do you spend all day looking for shit, give up, say you lost it, then tell me you found it a week later. You all get nothing done you are the worst.

How does stuffing everything in drawers or behind doors help?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

hakkekage

hands off my desc u slag

nice try

gasp

ur lying

n. i never lie. except when burgers are on the line

produce the evidence u charlatan

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Because we want you to go away.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    @Hakkekage you are a fuckin badass

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Huh. Never imagined the difference between "mandolin" and "mandoline" would be THAT big.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i organize my room by hiding pizza boxes in every drawer

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited April 2015

hakkekage

hands off my desc u slag

nice try

this master forgery holds up to even the closest scrutiny

desc on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I buy a CD (or a digital album), drop it into iTunes or rip it, and I'm done.

Unless you've decided to purchase it when you're not at the computer that is married to your iOS device, in which case you have to wait until you get home.

Or if you have multiple devices and you want to have different songs on the different devices without going through the bullshit that is setting up multiple iTunes profiles.

Or there's some stupid reason the iOS device won't sync, like 20% of the space is taken up by "other storage" with no clear way to delete it.

Unless you're purchasing music from Beatport or direct from artists' websites.

Or if you're still using a non-Internet-connected device, like an iPod Nano.

The album art, all the track info, the metadata, everything just kind of shows up. I never dig into the folders, I have no reason to. The very concept of even going into those folders feels alien to me at this point - like the shit I used to do when WinAmp/X11Amp was whipping the llama's ass.

Unless you want to use your music with players that aren't iTunes - eg, VLC.

This is pretty much the same conversation that we always have about the Apple paradigm. It's great for 80% of users. If you deviate at all from the typical use case, things get very frustrating very quickly.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Then again, I have a hard time remembering if "balaclava" is the one that goes on your face or in your face.

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    i organize my room by hiding pizza boxes in every drawer

Are they full of pizza? y/n

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Huh. Never imagined the difference between "mandolin" and "mandoline" would be THAT big.

Oh, you can still strum a Mandoline, I can assure you.

• Options

wait like $25 bucks a year to manage your personal library across all devices, or is some media included?

25 bucks, and your music gets matched against Apple's library. If the bitrate of your rips is lower than the one they have they upgrade you to their version. If you have lossless they upload it from your library into cloud storage.

Everything appears on all of your devices and can be played over the network. Tap the cloud icon to download it to the device for local play.

Add a song anywhere at any time by any means into iTunes and it shows up on all your devices in seconds.

Apple does not fact-check where you got the tracks from, so CDs you ripped, albums bought off amazon, whatever - its now all part of your legitimate library.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

That's why I get rid of everything as soon as I'm done with it.

Oh the cleanliness of oblivion.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
This discussion has been closed.