Options

insta[chat]

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    The public is so overwhelmingly anti science and thinks nasa takes up like 20% of the countries budget in polls. Lets convince 1 guy in charge of a grant that something obscure is necessary to save humanity, instead of a bunch of mouth breathers who are going to donate to anti-vaxxer and fountain of youth quacks.

I don't have much more faith in what most nerds would fund, either

a lot of important science is stunningly boring unremarkable stuff that ends up finding out "well that didn't work"

It's not even that. Even someone with an advanced degree in a science field is still going to be hard pressed to differentiate between two similar, but distinct approaches to a given problem outside of their field.

What if the system were set up such that other notable, respected individuals in the field could comment on which projects would be the most funding-worthy?

Yeah, you're not going to get a lot of pledges for your obscure physics project that most PhDs can't understand on your own, but if Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson each gave it 5-stars you suddenly have a lot of nerds throwing money at it.
    Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson are physicists. What about all the projects that are outside the scope of their expertise?
    You're essentially going to recreate the grant system that already exists but is underfunded.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So far I am enjoying Fallout 3 more than I enjoyed Fallout: New Vegas, which may or may not be a controversial opinion?

I am only a few hours into 3, however, and I very likely could have a chip on my shoulder about New Vegas because I've started so many playthroughs that the first 2-4 hours is such a chore now.

. . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    We should make something like a Patreon but for science, where the general public can directly fund research projects as an alternative to the normal grant process.

Guys, this might legitimately be a good idea.
    It exists!
    https://experiment.com/
    FCC here to rain on parades.

There are several crowdfunding kickstarter like enterprises designed to finance science projects.

There are some really bad things about this.

1) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement grossly misunderstands the amount of money required to run a full time research laboratory that can produce publication quality data. I.E. You will see them fund small projects to the tune of 100k or so. This is chump change for a laboratory and would cover one tech's salary and some reagents for a year.

2) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement gives citizens the idea that government funding is not important if it can be supplanted by crowdfunding. Which is an untenable position. The only way science will ever recover is if governments increase investment in science.

3) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement is frequently in love with the "gentleman scientist" trope which really only supports a very specific and very rich type of person to do science.

4) There is one guy named Ethan Perlstein who says he is an indy scientist but really he is just running a standard biotech startup. He is like Silicon Valley for scientists.

These all are only problems if you envision the system as a replacement for the standard method of scientific funding and not as something that pulls in additional cash.

Obviously this isn't a replacement for government funding.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Also ask the NSF how the populist method of determining fundability is working for them.
    It isn't.
    At all.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    What if we just funded science to fix all problems? Seems like the best use of resources.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    So far I am enjoying Fallout 3 more than I enjoyed Fallout: New Vegas, which may or may not be a controversial opinion?

I am only a few hours into 3, however, and I very likely could have a chip on my shoulder about New Vegas because I've started so many playthroughs that the first 2-4 hours is such a chore now.

. . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .

fallout 3 was poop from a butt. Bethesda just did not get the setting.
    The story was dumb.
    The side stories were dumb.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    The public is so overwhelmingly anti science and thinks nasa takes up like 20% of the countries budget in polls. Lets convince 1 guy in charge of a grant that something obscure is necessary to save humanity, instead of a bunch of mouth breathers who are going to donate to anti-vaxxer and fountain of youth quacks.

a lot of important science is stunningly boring unremarkable stuff that ends up finding out "well that didn't work"

It's not even that. Even someone with an advanced degree in a science field is still going to be hard pressed to differentiate between two similar, but distinct approaches to a given problem outside of their field.

What if the system were set up such that other notable, respected individuals in the field could comment on which projects would be the most funding-worthy?

Yeah, you're not going to get a lot of pledges for your obscure physics project that most PhDs can't understand on your own, but if Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson each gave it 5-stars you suddenly have a lot of nerds throwing money at it.

The problem I have with this as a non-science person is that I do not understand a lot of science, especially advanced science. With a Veronica Mars Movie kickstarter I give money and I get my newsletter and it's like, okay they are filming. That is definitely part of a process that makes sense when making a movie. They are doing a lot of filming, which means they are clearly on their way to making a movie.

With science, as a lay person, even if there is a super well made explanation of what is being funded, there's probably large swaths of it that are going to be meaningless to me. And once I've invested money into it, I'm not going to very much like to hear if they aren't getting results they expected, nor am I going to be able to understand the ins and outs of what is going on.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    We are T - 60 minutes, and NASA TV coverage is live: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

Falcon 9 v1.1 with Dragon capsule (loaded with Commercial Resupply Service payload, including a great deal of experimental gear provided by CASIS, the Center for the Advancement of Science In Space) heading to the International Space Station. Weather forecast is still "GO" and looks better than yesterday, but keep in mind that the launch window is instantaneous, so even a 1-second hold inside the terminal countdown (T - 10 minutes) would result in a scrub of today's launch.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Washington DC as a goddamn desert.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    My taxes are just a kickstarter for government.

• Options
    GO/NO GO Polling happens at T- 13 minutes, which I know a lot of people really enjoy listening to. :P

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    @Deebaser registry purchase completed bitches

fuggin on point

ahed of schedule

gud planning

go team hakkebeast

@hakkekage the invites went out on friday. yours is heading to Beast's. They are kawaii as fuck.

I know he sent me a picture last night. Uber cute. Much approve

noice! Also. I watched videos on how to play the resistance expansions. they look super fun. we should get a game 2gether

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson are physicists. What about all the projects that are outside the scope of their expertise?
    You're essentially going to recreate the grant system that already exists but is underfunded.

There's respected popular scientists in most fields. Like if Antonio Damasio puts his recommendation behind a neuroscience project I'm going to be infinitely more likely to fund it too. You could argue that this is giving popular scientists too much sway when their positions might not reflect consensus (they might specifically be popular because they're controversial), but this is still more money; it's not taking away cash from government funding.

• Options

. . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .

The story was dumb.

Worse than poop from a butt. At least poop is popular in Germany.

• Options

. . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .
    . . .

The story was dumb.

Worse than poop from a butt. At least poop is popular in Germany.

I didn't realize how shitty the vaults were in FO3 until new vegas. The Election Vault. oh my goddddd. all my dicks.

• Options
    Man sometimes I forget the worst thing about saying you like something on the interbutts is just the calvacade of being told the thing you like is bad and you're somehow wrong for liking it.

Opinions!

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Man sometimes I forget the worst thing about saying you like something on the interbutts is just the calvacade of being told the thing you like is bad and you're somehow wrong for liking it.

Opinions!
    conform conform conform conform

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Too much.

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Opinions!

it's okay

everyone else besides you is wrong on these boards about everything

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Deebs I hope babby likes sour mix

• Options
    the trick is imagine you are some of kind of dashing iconoclast and everyone else on the internet is a drooling idiot and then just like wat u liek

• Options
    Some quick rocket stats: With today's payload, it stands roughly 208 feet tall, and is 12 feet in diameter. Fully loaded, it weighs in at roughly 505,000 lbs, and at lift-off the nine Merlin-1D engines on the first stage will produce roughly 1.3 million pounds of thrust, equal to the power of about 5 Boeing 747s.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The story was dumb.

And a lot of that dumb got dragged into New Vegas due to sheer inertia.

NV is still the better game, but NV felt really... sterile.

• Options
    i wouldn't describe fallout 3 as a bad game tho just fallout nv is better in literally everyway
    but its ok some people like nwn1 more than nwn2 or kotor1 more than kotor2, we just call those people idiots and say mean things about them whenever possible

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

fuggin on point

ahed of schedule

gud planning

go team hakkebeast

-hakkekage the invites went out on friday. yours is heading to Beast's. They are kawaii as fuck.

noice! Also. I watched videos on how to play the resistance expansions. they look super fun. we should get a game 2gether

u gettin in on that One Night Resistance

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    the trick is imagine you are some of kind of dashing iconoclast and everyone else on the internet is a drooling idiot and then just like wat u liek

but wut if Im not imagining.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Guys, GUYS, Gunstar Heroes is coming out on the 3DS virtual console this summer.

GUNSTAR MOTHER FUCKING HEROOOOEEEEEEES OH MAHGAAAAAAWD!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

Opinions!

FO3 is a weird case. It's not just a game. It kind of represents the death and defilement of a truly beloved classic PC RPG. FO:NV was like a love letter to the originals, so when you say that FO3 is better than FO:NV, you are kind of saying that a Bethesda made modern dumb downed game with the name fallout on it is better than the "real" fallout.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    wandering wrote: »
    We should make something like a Patreon but for science, where the general public can directly fund research projects as an alternative to the normal grant process.

Guys, this might legitimately be a good idea.
    It exists!
    https://experiment.com/
    FCC here to rain on parades.

There are several crowdfunding kickstarter like enterprises designed to finance science projects.

There are some really bad things about this.

1) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement grossly misunderstands the amount of money required to run a full time research laboratory that can produce publication quality data. I.E. You will see them fund small projects to the tune of 100k or so. This is chump change for a laboratory and would cover one tech's salary and some reagents for a year.

2) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement gives citizens the idea that government funding is not important if it can be supplanted by crowdfunding. Which is an untenable position. The only way science will ever recover is if governments increase investment in science.

3) The crowdfunding kickstarter movement is frequently in love with the "gentleman scientist" trope which really only supports a very specific and very rich type of person to do science.

4) There is one guy named Ethan Perlstein who says he is an indy scientist but really he is just running a standard biotech startup. He is like Silicon Valley for scientists.

These all are only problems if you envision the system as a replacement for the standard method of scientific funding and not as something that pulls in additional cash.

Obviously this isn't a replacement for government funding.

Point number 2 is probably the most important one I think

especially since Fox News and republicans in general try to push the idea that private industry ever does actual research or innovation when it does not.

Private industry is only good at taking an idea that was developed on the public dime and turning it into a product / carrying it those last couple years to market.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    My "problem" with New Vegas is that I played through like 90% of it years ago on the 360 and for some weird reason never finished it.

I got it last year for PC and I have started it a bunch of times but always grow wary of it around Novac because I just keep starting it, making a character and getting to Novac.

This is hell.

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    i wouldn't describe fallout 3 as a bad game tho just fallout nv is better in literally everyway
    but its ok some people like nwn1 more than nwn2 or kotor1 more than kotor2, we just call those people idiots and say mean things about them whenever possible

I can see liking KOTOR 1 more than 2. 2 is the better game and story, but its very buggy and not very star warsy.

But NWN1 over 2? Going purely on the campaigns, that seems impossible to me. If you factor in community made stuff then it makes sense though.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    of all the fallout media, I've only played nv

I couldn't play it much until I dropped it to really basic gripes like how it's kind of trying to be a shooter but isn't

I should go back to 1 and 2

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Guys, Twin Peaks is having auditions for their new location here.
    I expect all of you to apply.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »

I don't think I'd be a good location for the show. I have to go to work and stuff.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    kaleedity wrote: »
    of all the fallout media, I've only played nv

I couldn't play it much until I dropped it to really basic gripes like how it's kind of trying to be a shooter but isn't

I should go back to 1 and 2

You really should. 2 in particular holds up really well provided you get the unofficial res and content patch with it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

There's respected popular scientists in most fields. Like if Antonio Damasio puts his recommendation behind a neuroscience project I'm going to be infinitely more likely to fund it too. You could argue that this is giving popular scientists too much sway when their positions might not reflect consensus (they might specifically be popular because they're controversial), but this is still more money; it's not taking away cash from government funding.

You've been involved in crowdfunding. Can you imagine what those scientists would have do deal with from their "supporters"?

And what would happen when a lab spends a couple million in crowdfunding money over a couple years only to come up with a negative result? That's good science but backers would flip their shit.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

fuggin on point

ahed of schedule

gud planning

go team hakkebeast

@hakkekage the invites went out on friday. yours is heading to Beast's. They are kawaii as fuck.

wont hear me complaining less do dis

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Opinions!

"somehow" wrong like you don't know you're trash

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

you think my balls-in-flannel gambit will work out

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

fuggin on point

ahed of schedule

gud planning

go team hakkebeast

-hakkekage the invites went out on friday. yours is heading to Beast's. They are kawaii as fuck.

u gettin in on that One Night Resistance

what is this now?

This discussion has been closed.