As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

insta[chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    OnTheLastCastle shryke Chanus

So, I just did an ego search and found where you guys were talking about split checks.

I'm not sure I framed the situation properly. I was at a dive bar. It was one of the diviest diver bars in NYC. I remember it being rather late (10/11? 12?) and this table had been there for less than an hour. This place gets CRAZY busy with people ordering shots and drinks like mad.

I'm sorry but this isn't an Applebee's or whatever. This is a place you come to order cheap alcohol and get slammed. They were there for less than an hour and a half and their bill wasn't more than 60-80 dollars, which they wanted split 5-6 ways.

I maintain that in that context, it's douchebaggery to demand split checks after the fact of ordering them without asking for them to be split. And in fact I would go further and say that it's douchey even to ask at all in that environment.

well, yeah, if you demand split checks at the end of your stay during the busiest time of the night, you're a douche

i don't think anyone disagrees with that

though with newer POS systems, this still isn't a problem unless it's "okay i'm paying for two of his beers and the shot she took and then my own five"

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    japan wrote: »

Because naturally, when building your robot army, you would be concerned about whether it violated any patents

wait dr destructo don't throw the switch

google's patent attorneys are on the phone

I assume all robots are programmed to automatically comply with injunctions

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    TL;DR? Crowd-funding is a lot of work. It can be a nice funding stop-gap, especially for small projects or preliminary data. It’s great for students because it helps them develop communication skills. Sites like Experiment that have a nice interface to give your donors updates help connect people with your science, and add legitimacy to your efforts.Just be prepared to do a lot of work, get creative, and reach out to social media, the press, and celebrities. I’m not sure if science crowd-funding has a long lifespan, but it’s worth a shot. But it’s money! We all need more of that, right?

I'd say this is about what I expected; not the solution to the scientific funding problem, exactly, but possibly a source of some extra funding for well-popularized projects. I guess what will really end up mattering is whether the amount of money for the amount of effort you have to put into it is worth it, as I do know a lot of this stuff gets in the way of the whole "actually doing science" thing.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I also think it is amazing that Pillars is still in the top 10 on steam, Is the 2nd most expensive game in the top 10 (only behind ESO which is ranked lower), and has been out for weeks now.

If anyone needed proof that the market wanted a game like this, here ya go.

What's going to be fun is what happens next now that they clearly have made more than the 4 million invested at this point. Possibly a lot more. Whatever sequel they make I really hope they retain the focus of the narrative this game had while expanding the world out a bit more. My biggest complaint is that they did not give me enough open fields and forests and dungeons and non-critpath stuff to do compared to earlier titles, though I fully understand it due to the money they had to work with.

There was a joy in Baldur's Gate in just stumbling upon a tower on a cliffside with a kid trapped in it and a mom willing to pay you to set him free, and doing dozens of micro-quests like this that allowed you to make decisions on how your character would react. It gives you more of the illusion of making your own decisions and your own story.

The game's biggest flaw is the title. How do you make a sequel to a game called Pillars of Eternity? It's Eternity. There is no after - it is eternal.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Weather looks bomb as fuck at the Cape today <3

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    t4lbxhr6jyxt.jpg

I see that you too follow Cabot Creamery.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    My boss comes by.

"Uh... why are you filling latex gloves with sand?"

I shrug. Boss walks away.

China has broken you, hasn't it.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I also think it is amazing that Pillars is still in the top 10 on steam, Is the 2nd most expensive game in the top 10 (only behind ESO which is ranked lower), and has been out for weeks now.

What's going to be fun is what happens next now that they clearly have made more than the 4 million invested at this point. Possibly a lot more. Whatever sequel they make I really hope they retain the focus of the narrative this game had while expanding the world out a bit more. My biggest complaint is that they did not give me enough open fields and forests and dungeons and non-critpath stuff to do compared to earlier titles, though I fully understand it due to the money they had to work with.

There was a joy in Baldur's Gate in just stumbling upon a tower on a cliffside with a kid trapped in it and a mom willing to pay you to set him free, and doing dozens of micro-quests like this that allowed you to make decisions on how your character would react. It gives you more of the illusion of making your own decisions and your own story.

The game's biggest flaw is the title. How do you make a sequel to a game called Pillars of Eternity? It's Eternity. There is no after - it is eternal.

this has never been a problem for final fantasy

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Coming from you, a guy who has no less than 3-4 final fantasy games on his person at any given time, it makes me lol.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    GET WREKT @SYNDALIS

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    My boss comes by.

admit it you are a Hong Kong Cavalier aren't you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpVXpCNFOSg

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

So, I just did an ego search and found where you guys were talking about split checks.

I'm not sure I framed the situation properly. I was at a dive bar. It was one of the diviest diver bars in NYC. I remember it being rather late (10/11? 12?) and this table had been there for less than an hour. This place gets CRAZY busy with people ordering shots and drinks like mad.

I'm sorry but this isn't an Applebee's or whatever. This is a place you come to order cheap alcohol and get slammed. They were there for less than an hour and a half and their bill wasn't more than 60-80 dollars, which they wanted split 5-6 ways.

I maintain that in that context, it's douchebaggery to demand split checks after the fact of ordering them without asking for them to be split. And in fact I would go further and say that it's douchey even to ask at all in that environment.

well, yeah, if you demand split checks at the end of your stay during the busiest time of the night, you're a douche

though with newer POS systems, this still isn't a problem unless it's "okay i'm paying for two of his beers and the shot she took and then my own five"

That's exactly what they were doing. I was sitting next to the service bar so I watched it all unfold. They lined up and demanded a bunch of intricate calculus among themselves and the server that served them. I may have omitted some details in my rant but I feel my rage was pretty justified. It took 15 fucking minutes, which is no exaggeration whatsoever, and not because the waitress is dumb - she isn't.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    My boss comes by.

"i needed something with some weight for the spanking robot i'm designing"

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    t4lbxhr6jyxt.jpg

heh. a guess a friend of mine does. i stole this from facebook :P

• Options

That's exactly what they were doing. I was sitting next to the service bar so I watched it all unfold. They lined up and demanded a bunch of intricate calculus among themselves and the server that served them. I may have omitted some details in my rant but I feel my rage was pretty justified. It took 15 fucking minutes, which is no exaggeration whatsoever, and not because the waitress is dumb - she isn't.

well, then, yeah

they sucked

but split checks are still the best way on the whole

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    t4lbxhr6jyxt.jpg

heh. a guess a friend of mine does. i stole this from facebook :P

Cabot is delicious.
    And 2 for 5 cheese block sales
    ahhhhhh

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Within 10 minutes now, clouds clouds stay away!

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

I was afraid this patent was actually non-obvious, but the USPTO didn't let me down. Well, actually, it almost always lets me down, but you know what I mean.

"Do X, but with computers" has now translated to "Do X, but now with robots," where X, in this case, is delegation.

Everyone involved with this patent process who didn't dissent should be forced to commit seppuku.

• Options

Coming from you, a guy who has no less than 3-4 final fantasy games on his person at any given time, it makes me lol.

I actually have 5 of them on my iPhone as we speak.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Everyone involved with thisthe US patent system process who didn't dissent should be forced to commit seppuku.

Chanus on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

we must dissent

who will be the first to cut off their nipple

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    pillars of eternity is a $20 game to me so i will play it when it is $20

to be clear i'm not commenting on my perception of the quality of the game

just that it's not the type of game i want to play so badly i'd pay $70 or whatever they're charging for it right now

I've never really played a baldur's gate like

I'll get it when it's cheaper too

not really my dig

. . . Cheaper than $4? http://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga

second ed? pass

• Options
    edited April 2015

well, then, yeah

they sucked

but split checks are still the best way on the whole

I just like to fling tons of of money in the direction of whoever is pushing their breasts alcohol in my direction.

In a group I like to see a pile of cash grow on the bar.

If you want to split your check like some kind of person who wants a split check then we can't really roll, dogg. You gots to make it rain. Or the bar needs to look like you're playing poker and the pot be huge.

Drez on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Speaking of crowd funding science I looked back at the kickstarter for trying to build a supercomputer to calculate the exact value of PI -- also the end value of the fibonacci sequence.

It's amazing.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    You've been involved in crowdfunding. Can you imagine what those scientists would have do deal with from their "supporters"?

And what would happen when a lab spends a couple million in crowdfunding money over a couple years only to come up with a negative result? That's good science but backers would flip their shit.

hahaha

DEAR SCIENTIST,

I HAVE BEEN EAGERLY AWAITING AN UPDATE ON THE HORSE DICK CLONING/GRAFTING PROJECT BUT I SEE THAT YOUR TIME HAS RECENTLY BEEN SPENT ON

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    wat if the rocket just tips over when they pull the thing back

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2015
    kaleedity wrote: »
    pillars of eternity is a $20 game to me so i will play it when it is $20

to be clear i'm not commenting on my perception of the quality of the game

just that it's not the type of game i want to play so badly i'd pay $70 or whatever they're charging for it right now

I've never really played a baldur's gate like

I'll get it when it's cheaper too

not really my dig

i enjoyed baldur's gate and IWD and stuff I just am not attracted to a game with a format developed in the 1990s anymore

like, if i play PoE i'm sure I will like it

but i'm not rushing out to buy something that is inherently a nostalgia experience at first blush

Its not entirely nostalgia though. That diminishes the product in the same way that saying that Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is a nostalgia trip of Doom.

There are lots of graphical, interface, and gameplay updates that come from the maturation of the industry since the old IE games came out.

It is just another entry in a genre/style that should have remained an established one this whole time.

I didn't play the old IE games so I recognize that my perspective isn't fully informed, but PoE definitely felt like a deliberately throwback experience to me. Wasn't it purposefully created to be one, funded by people who specifically desired that? A better FPS analogy would be something with no mouse-look and automated verticality, of which I'm sure there is a cabal of crazies clamoring (top tier alliteration, +10 post points) for somewhere but I'm not really very interested in it despite enjoying Doom when it came out.

I feel like you focusing on the technical presentation of the material instead of the game itself is a bit of an issue.

It's like saying a game cannot be good unless it has a 3D camera with mouselook and whatnot.

If nintendo released a 2d sidescroller starring mario it would not be called a nostalgia trip, it would be called a new mario game on the 3DS or whatever.

Because lots of things can evolve in different directions, and you don't have to cast of structures completely aside if they are good and its not purely nostalgia if the end result is fresh and compelling.

Pillars of Eternity has beautiful world graphics, different and in many ways superior combat strategy, better encounter pacing (no need to rest spam any more) and lots of quality of life improvements over the prior games that are somewhere between not thought of or technically impossible when the BG came out.

My hope is that we get 5-6 more games like this at least before the market moves on again.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

you work the pillar angle

Pillarer of Eternity 2: Pillar Harder

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »

I would assume several people would lose their jobs :P

But I mean in terms of immediate consequences ... it would not be good news!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I got spoiled by Japan and their split bill ways, you just take your bill up to the cash register, say betsu betsu, and tell them exactly what items on the bill you want to pay for. Standard practice and accepted over there.

Wouldn't dream to try it over here.

Also sup.

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Speaking of crowd funding science I looked back at the kickstarter for trying to build a supercomputer to calculate the exact value of PI -- also the end value of the fibonacci sequence.

It's amazing.

okay, i can see someone thinking that maybe pi is just really really really precise

but the fibonacci sequence? wtf

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    You've been involved in crowdfunding. Can you imagine what those scientists would have do deal with from their "supporters"?

And what would happen when a lab spends a couple million in crowdfunding money over a couple years only to come up with a negative result? That's good science but backers would flip their shit.

hahaha

DEAR SCIENTIST,

I HAVE BEEN EAGERLY AWAITING AN UPDATE ON THE HORSE DICK CLONING/GRAFTING PROJECT BUT I SEE THAT YOUR TIME HAS RECENTLY BEEN SPENT ON

militarized circumsized tips, and I demand a

• Options
    Range is green, get #rekt clouds!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It's not like final fantasy because the game isn't a pillar of eternity, it's about the pillars of eternity, and you can have more than one game about a thing

or something

I'm not entirely clear how the game's name ties into the plot despite 2 playthroughs, I can think of a few things it could refer to

override367 on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »

I would assume several people would lose their jobs :P

But I mean in terms of immediate consequences ... it would not be good news!

maybe noboby loses their jobs because they forgot to hire those people

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Everyone involved with the US patent system process who didn't dissent should be forced to commit seppuku.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Less than 1 minute now

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I got spoiled by Japan and their split bill ways, you just take your bill up to the cash register, say betsu betsu, and tell them exactly what items on the bill you want to pay for. Standard practice and accepted over there.

Wouldn't dream to try it over here.

Also sup.

well, that works at diners and stuff where you typically pay at the register

but in a fancy place where you expect some subhuman to cater to your every whim you can't be expected to just get up and take care of the bill yourself like an adult person who can do things

• Options
    i don't really know where i was going with that

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

It's amazing.

okay, i can see someone thinking that maybe pi is just really really really precise

but the fibonacci sequence? wtf

I'm still not totally sure if it's a goof or the dude is just real dumb.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
This discussion has been closed.