Options

Disturbance at Lake Webcomics

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I give awkward zombie way more slack than vgcats because I find it funny much more often
    this correlates strongly with telling the joke better in a fraction of the space
    There's nothing to compare, Awkward Zombie is legit the best video game webcomic.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I read through awkward zombie's archive recently and I was surprised how many of her jokes are suggested by fans. Including my personal favorite, "Eat Your Hamburgers, Apollo."

My overall favorite video game comic is probably still penny arcade after all these years.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Manly Guys Doing Manly Things and Awkward Zombie are pretty much the only two vidyagaem comics I give the time of day on a regular basis

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Trenches is the best videogame webcomic ofc

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    #1 video game webcomic is the tumblr comics that get shared in this thread.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Their Story is a Chinese webcomic by Tan Jiu. The translator's site is here, and is occasionally NSFW. The translators request linking to Tan Jiu for credit anytime you use their translations.

ie8pnpvsw7qd.jpg
    mvib5h0mn6w4.jpg
    vtns4pjhs643.jpg
    ffwqfliwbl3r.jpg
    hqp6zljj3et2.jpg
    ayp84tbrbu43.jpg
    6p43d8l9r9xn.jpg

The way Sun Jing is trying to look way cool is fuckin' adorable

The opposite. happened to me I was asked to sit and then I was asked why I was still sitting

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I give awkward zombie way more slack than vgcats because I find it funny much more often
    this correlates strongly with telling the joke better in a fraction of the space
    There's nothing to compare, Awkward Zombie is legit the best video game webcomic.

I dunno, does it beat Brawl in the Family by default because that one ended? Because, otherwise, I'd rank that one up there as well.

And, yeah, VG Cats is basically the Subnormality of video game webcomics at this point. Similarly, I usually like SMBC way more when it's one panel and an ironic caption rather than a forty panel thingy about how some minor societal trend causes the apocalypse.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    It beats brawl in the family becaust bitf was only ever okay

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    04-16-2015.jpg
    Wall o Text ahoy
    Cuchulainn also had problems with clawing at furniture, being housebroken, and humping inanimate objects. It was especially difficult when he was just a pup but he ended up being trained very well.

I’ve talked about Cuchulainn briefly before in a rather tongue-in-cheek comic (aren’t they all?) about the evolution of Irish heroes, but he’s one of those major figures that really demands more discussion. As one of the primary figures in the famous Ulster Cycle, a heroic tale about the war between King Conchobar Mac Nessa and Queen Medb, there’s quite a bit of information about his life. Where some heroes’ childhoods or early years remain fairly unexplored, Irish myth offers us a pretty good look at Cuchulainn’s upbringing, though there are different and conflicting versions of his birth. In all versions, Cuchulainn (born with the name Setanta) has a miraculous birth, usually fathered by the god Lug. After his birth, the boy is raised and taught by several Ulster noblemen in the arts of war, speech, and the ways of the world.

Setanta’s childhood is even more rich in detail. Growing up with his parents in the countryside, he asks to join the macrad, a famous boy troop located in Emain Macha which he has watched from a distance. After some debate, he is allowed to go and upon his arrival, sees the boys at their sport and attempts to join them and actually bests them at their own game despite his very young age. While the troop stares at him, amazed, King Conchobar (who is training the troop) orders the boys to kill him for ignoring the group’s custom of asking for a pledge of security from the other boys before joining in, which happens to be a major taboo. Setanta is immediately attacked by the others who throw their hurling weapons at him but the child manages to parry every single one (a hundred and fifty in total) completely unarmed, he then catches a hundred fifty of the boys’ spears in his tiny shield, and fends off one hundred fifty throwing balls with his fists. The boy then dives in among his attackers and knocks out fifty of them. Conchobar stops the fight and explains to Setanta the custom of securing respect for his life from the troop before joining and the child confesses his ignorance and states that he would have conformed to the rules if he’d known better. He asks the others and they consent and then he immediately proceeds to fight them again and knocks out fifty more of the boys. When questioned by the King, Setanta tells them that he won’t stop until the other boys ask for HIS protection and his guarantee on their lives. The others consented right away to ask for his protection.

One of the other major childhood deeds revolves around how Setanta acquired the name Cuchulainn which stuck with him for the rest of his life. Conchobar is asked to visit the famous smith, Culann but is asked to bring no more than a small company with him to Culann’s house. Conchobar agrees and goes to say farewell to the boys but sees young Setanta again performing surprising deeds and besting his peers. The king, impressed with the boy, asks him to come to the banquet at Culann’s and the child agrees to follow after he is finished playing with the others. Conchobar arrives at this destination and settles in to eat and talk with Culann who asks if anyone is scheduled to arrive later. The king, forgetting that he asked Setanta to join them, answers that there is no one. Thinking it safe, Culann then lets loose a vicious dog that he owns to guard the property. Later, the men hear the dog barking and growling and Conchobar remembers asking the boy to join him for the feast and realizes he has made a terrible mistake. He mentions as much to his host and presumes the boy dead, though they all rush out to see what transpired. Outside, they find young Setanta had beaten the dog to death with his bare hands in self defense. Culann, who had raised the dog to protect his home and valuables and who thought of the animal as his own family, is devastated and angry. Though the king is impressed with the boy, there is the issue of recompense for the death of the dog and the anguish of Culann. It is Setanta himself who suggests that he be allowed to take the place of the dog until he can raise and train a new guard dog for Culann. The smith accepts and the boy is given a new name: Cu Chulainn “The Hound of Culann”.

And then, naturally, he goes around and pees like a dog to mark his territory.

Just kidding.

• Options
    mc20150417.png

• Options
    sdb20150417.png

• Options
    mat20150418.png

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    One Punch Man is read right to left.
    Previous Chapter | Index | Current Chapter [NSFW]
    Neveron wrote: »
    LGzsOxS.jpg
    uqFrPYJ.jpg
    cD42Zgf.jpg
    U1I3rup.jpg

Oh hey, plot.

Sources and links:
    url="http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com/index.html"]JP webcomic c.1-99 [/url [ENG webcomic c.1-15 (28-99 are available on other unlinkable places)](2 NSFW pages)
    Chapters 1-3 translated by El_Thor, 4-27 by Boon (and, for one panel, Cantide) and edited by me, 28-30 by El_Thor yet again, and 31 onwards by someone who shall remain anonymous since I don't know who they are.

url="http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/"]JP Manga c.1-5, 15-44[/url url="http://www.viz.com/manga/digital/one-punch-man"]ENG Manga c.1-34[/url
    [Anime: TBD, Promotional video]

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I like that vgcats

something about the set-up

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Seriously wrote: »
    I like that vgcats

something about the set-up

He should have taken the first sixish panels and called it a day though

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    so what's up with Magick Chicks right now, anyway

why is the evil witch lady chanting the names of planets from Doctor Who

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I read through awkward zombie's archive recently and I was surprised how many of her jokes are suggested by fans. Including my personal favorite, "Eat Your Hamburgers, Apollo."

My overall favorite video game comic is probably still penny arcade after all these years.

If you go on the forums there's also a huge number of edits for all of them. One of the "Eat Your Hamburgers" one changes Phoenix to Brock and it's "Eat your jelly donuts, Ash."

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Melissa and Cerise were expelled from the monster school in eerie cutie sand transferred to a magical girl academy that trains monster hunters

Unbeknownst to them they were actually sent there to spy on behalf of the monsters, who have them tangled up with a bunch of memory loss spells

Melissa has slowly developed actual magical girl powers because one of her mothers was essentially this unoverse's sailor moon equivalent, and has fallen out of favor with the demoness that gives the girls their witchcraft powers.

Cerise convinced the demoness to grant her a butt ton of super witch powers and used it to take over the school, driven by jealousy of Melissa and feeling like her old friend has been abandoning her

Melissa managed to absorb the evil witch power that rightfully belonged to her because her other mother was a super evil witch

And the good half and evil half of Melissa split into two different bodies and now they've fused to become A super awesome evil witch slash magical girl and she is about to bring the noise

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

On previous form? Because they "sound sort of mystical" or some such.
    Only if we're very, very lucky will it be because she's channelling the collected darkness of those fell places.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    B^U is the best vidjagame webcrumblic.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    telling the hard truths noone dares to speak aloud

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Oh man, Fountainhead would be a fantastic kaiju name

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    1429369993-20150418.png
    The Art Reconnaissance Team is listening. And recording. And transcribing into spoken word poetry.
    1429369993-20150418after.png

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So, JJ continues to be one of the nicest guys out there (to talk to at cons, at any rate); last year, I got him to draw me, and did the same thing this year:

G3wpAvb.jpg
    (real thing spoilered for terrible picture-being-taken grimace on my part)
    nEtDo4Q.jpg

Also, I asked about Alice Grove -- he has done all the world-building for that, so when weird giant forest things show up, it's not just because he felt like it that day, somewhere he has this stuff thought out. The storyline, he knows where it's going, but exactly how each page works is still getting sorted out.

1: Badass Groo shirt seriously
    2: I had always assumed he looked like Marten

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    And the good half and evil half of Melissa split into two different bodies and now they've fused to become A super awesome evil witch slash magical girl and she is about to bring the noise

2738763-tumblr_mbbwumwizv1qiijr6o1_500.jpg

???

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    well I think you could get away with dated video game references if you have any sort of sense of comic timing

Awkward Zombie half the time for example.

And the reason she makes comics a long time after the game came out is that she's only just now getting around to playing them. So she manages to embody the spirit of the game, rather than just the memory of playing the game.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Frt

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Frt

agreed

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    klemming wrote: »
    1429369993-20150418.png
    The Art Reconnaissance Team is listening. And recording. And transcribing into spoken word poetry.
    1429369993-20150418after.png

Speaking of being better without the last panel...

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    tumblr_nmrzhn80bK1qewacoo1_500.png
    tumblr_nmrzhn80bK1qewacoo2_500.png
    tumblr_nmrzhn80bK1qewacoo3_500.png

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    KbLuDvG.png

WNJn7cQ.png

I imagine fish poop legs are someone's monster.

The Last Halloween

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    see now that's how you do a comic with multiple punchlines

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

2738763-tumblr_mbbwumwizv1qiijr6o1_500.jpg

???

close but not quite see because the original majin buu was an essentially morally neutral being that was a temper-tantrum throwign ultra powerful childlike being and the grand supreme kai allowed himself to be absorbed so that his overwhelming benevolence severely reduced the threat that buu posed by making him more tranquil and naive but then when someone killed his puppy he got so angry that he expeled all of the repressed evil inside him which then absorbed the good buu in order to become super buu, so it wasn't really a fusion so much as a jekyl and hyde or maybe incredible hulk sort of situation

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    tumblr_nmz90f6hqQ1qe9g4mo1_500.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Mosspaca Advertising Department is a silly little comic by Tan Jiu and Old Xian. Translations at the same place as Their Story and 19 Days.

tumblr_nmyiepbWvN1tjyeywo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nmyiepbWvN1tjyeywo2_500.jpg
    tumblr_nmyiepbWvN1tjyeywo3_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nmyiepbWvN1tjyeywo4_500.jpg
    tumblr_nmyiepbWvN1tjyeywo5_500.jpg
    tumblr_nmyiepbWvN1tjyeywo6_500.jpg
    tumblr_nmyiepbWvN1tjyeywo7_500.jpg
    tumblr_nmyiepbWvN1tjyeywo8_500.jpg
    tumblr_nmyiepbWvN1tjyeywo9_500.jpg

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Sure is a lot of torso round these parts nowabouts