As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
Aww yeah lets talk about our sweet ass rides

o75sLmW.jpg

Or

SsPTc69.jpg

Motorcycle talk also allowed and encouraged

• Options
    I hope no one minds, I just copied @IpseDixit 's OP and tread title.

Good news!

ItftI1S.jpg

I drove it home 200km today and some kid yelled that he loved it. So it was a pretty good day!

Here's an image gallery of all the pictures I've been given.

Once I get it e-mailed to me, I will post the promised 6'6" Bear is Driving in a tiny Figaro. Warning: you will be disappointed because I fit quite easily.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh good. This thread is back!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    20150606_115640_zpszmfgqqea.jpg

Saw this in the cities last weekend. What is it?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    @Raijin Quickfoot that's a Caterham of some kind. I can't personally tell them apart at a glance.

• Options
    That's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Caterham kit car. I would love to build one one day.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    I switched the V-Strom from Bridgestone Trailwings to some Mitas E-07 Dakkars. These are far closer to a real 50/50 tire than the Trailwings. (Despite Bridgestone's advertisements, two tires with the same "Trailwing" badge may have tread designs that are hugely dissimilar! The well-liked TW301 is not the same as the TW101 that I had.) I wanted to try something even farther toward the off-road side, but couldn't find any Mefos/etc. in my size and in stock.

Anyway: taller, smaller tread blocks == noticeably squirmier on turn-in! Dirt performance is also a lot better, but I'm comparing them to the extremely worn Trailwings which had become boats on gravel.

Taken before they'd touched the ground:
    gaBlbnoVFEKKz_wHgisa9U-_fgY0X09mUIARokyl9q0=w556-h988-no

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I replaced the acrylic over the gauges in the Alfa as the old ones were yellowed to heckenbach. Got some newies laser cut to (approximately..) the same shape as the old ones, only this time they're clear. Now I can see how fast I'm going!

Also I replaced the door seals to try and make closing the doors easier. They did not help. And put in retracting seat belts because I hate floppy ones. They're hard to reach because the top seatbelt mount is approximately level with the rear passenger's shoulders... but I still prefer them to the floppy ones.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    My girlfriend's 2013 Fiat 500 has developed a dull "pop" from the front suspension whenever it drives over even a small bump in the road. Looks like there's a tech bulletin out for this exact problem, they've got replacement jounce bumpers that are supposed to fix the issue.

Good thing that a dealership recently opened about half way between us and the previous nearest Fiat dealership.

jgeis on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Did I ever tell the thread what I ended up with?

2013 VW GTI with 40k miles.

I don't think it's as fun to drive as my WRX, but I do like it. Way more comfortable for highway cruising and way better on gas mileage. I've spun it up to redline a few times now and yea, it's still a good time.

Washed and prepped the WRX for sale and while I was stopped at a light I get a "That's a really nice Subaru!" ...I'm gonna miss the fuck out of that car.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I really don't think I'll be able to do the 370Z. As much as I love the brand and the platform, I think I'm going to have to go for the LS3 swap into a Miata to get my go-fast jollies.

Which both sucks and kicks arse at the same time, so obviously I am conflicted.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i recently entered into a financial pact that prevents me from buying a very expensive car for a bit, so I'm with the RX-8 for a good long while, likely until the engine dies and I move into the triple rotor

im at peace with this, it's not the fastest, but it's such a good drivers car with the care-free revs

• Options
    The Figaro is slow as shit but entirely awesome.

The first time I drove it I kept expecting it to shift into a 4th gear. Nope!

So I drive it at 90km/h and piss off everyone behind me and I'm totally fine with that because it feels fast to me.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i recently entered into a financial pact that prevents me from buying a very expensive car for a bit, so I'm with the RX-8 for a good long while, likely until the engine dies and I move into the triple rotor

im at peace with this, it's not the fastest, but it's such a good drivers car with the care-free revs

Triple rotor? If you're gonna give up on ever getting reasonable fuel consumption again, just go quad-rotor right from the start.

• Options
    yeah but the quad rotor would be completely undriveable and also so much heavier I'd probably have to do a fuckton of suspension updates

i want a new engine, not an entirely rebuilt car that is shaped like an RX-8!

• Options
    yeah but the quad rotor would be completely undriveable and also so much heavier I'd probably have to do a fuckton of suspension updates

i want a new engine, not an entirely rebuilt car that is shaped like an RX-8!

Nah. You'd need to update your suspension if you were going to go with a turbo 20B anyway, so you may as well throw a set of adjustable coiloves and some sway bars in your car regardless. As for undriveable, well that's only true if your tuner is a maniac that has no idea what they're doing. A 600 horsepower 26B is way more driveable than a 300 horsepower 13B thanks to the significantly fatter torque curve.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've tasked myself with researching under $35k AWD sedans for my Dad who's looking to buy a new car in the near future. There sure aren't a lot of choices with the only ones being the Subaru Legacy, Chrysler 200S, Ford Fusion SE or Titanium with the 2.0L Ecoboost Engine, and Audi A3 1.8T or 2.0T. The Legacy is the most affordable by a few thousand and probably the best value, but it's also the worst looking and least powerful. I'm personally leaning towards to Chrysler as an overall package.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    I've tasked myself with researching under $35k AWD sedans for my Dad who's looking to buy a new car in the near future. There sure aren't a lot of choices with the only ones being the Subaru Legacy, Chrysler 200S, Ford Fusion SE or Titanium with the 2.0L Ecoboost Engine, and Audi A3 1.8T or 2.0T. The Legacy is the most affordable by a few thousand and probably the best value, but it's also the worst looking and least powerful. I'm personally leaning towards to Chrysler as an overall package.

The 200S is supposed to be a really nice car. Chrysler has really stepped up their game on their S and C trim cars. He should definitely drive one.

If nothing else, I think that FCA has the best infotainment system right now, especially in their price range.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    With the right deal you might also be able to snag a 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan that comes with All wheel drive. Sticker price is probably around 40k, but depending on location you might be able to get them down close to 35k.

I like it the best, with the Audi coming in 2nd.

If he is looking for fun though get the ford with as many go fast options as you can add.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I did see the Genesis but they're listing for around $41k, but with incentives, trade in, and maybe a little luck 35'ish might be doable.

We may also look into CPO's which would give us even more options.

• Options
    Genesis? 41k???? in american dollars???

do not pay 41k for a Genesis.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Genesis? 41k???? in american dollars???

do not pay 41k for a Genesis.

Brand new they start at $38k. Not sure what the incentives are at dealerships. They lose a lot of value once they leave the lot though, it's best to pick up a Genesis used. I would actually argue that given the huge initial drop in value, a Genesis isn't the worst pick for a luxury oriented sedan.

For example, you can get this 430hp 2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec with less than 4k miles for a hair under $30k.

jgeis on
  • Options
    if you're going to pay 40 grand for a car it might as well have a BMW logo on it

• Options
    I'm pretty sure my Dad is not looking for a fun car, but primarily something that has comfortable seats, AWD, a good stereo, and nicer than an Accord or Camry. Luckily, he has no brand loyalty so I'm free to push him towards what I think is the best car (if it comes to that).

There a bunch of CPO entry level luxury sedans like the A4, C300, 328xi, S60, and more locally between $26-35k. He might prefer one of those to the Chrysler or Subaru.

A Genesis 3.8 with AWD starts at 41k before any trim packages. Granted the base level comes with a lot of stuff, but 35k+ for a Hyundai is not something I'd ever realistically consider even for myself. I'm sure that you get a lot of car for $35k compared to a Audi/BMW/Merc/Lexus at that same price, but for that kind of money I'd much rather not have a Hyundai badge on the car.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'm sure that you get a lot of car for $35k compared to a Audi/BMW/Merc/Lexus at that same price

I actually don't know if this is true at all. What's happening in the low end market is all the makes are jamming tons of tech packages and not-quite-luxury-but-also-not-hard-plastic-materials into their cars and charging out the ass for them.

So where a Genesis used to be a fine mid-ranged 6 cylinder coupe starting at 29 grand, they added Bose speakers, fake leather, and a touchscreen to it and now its magically 40 grand.

At least when you buy a BMW M235 you're getting an engine made directly by God himself

just look at the Mazda 3. The cheapest Mazda3 rolls off the lot for 17 grand. The deluxe is 30. Do you really think that there's 13 grand worth of electronics and leather in that thing?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Consider Acura TLX as well.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Yeah Subaru has been doing the same shit. You used to be able to get a nicely spec'd hoon car for under $40k in this country. Now it's almost $50k. Even the most basic WRX is a hair over $30k once freight, PDI, and taxes are factored.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    cars in the US have to be so heavy now for regulations that you can't have a car be fast with anything less than an NA 6 cylinder

and you can't sell an NA 6 cylinder for less than 30 grand now

like... there are turbo 4s all over the damn place. 20 years ago, a utopia. but now federal law requires that turbo 4 to hulk around 3500 pounds of steel

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Good point. I'm not even sure he wants all the tech stuff either. I really have only asked him what his price range is, and what the main things he's looking for in a car. The main things were AWD, a good stereo, and a sedan so anything beyond that is going to become apparent once we start looking at cars and seeing how far things have come from his 98 Camry. He's never had a really nice, new car, so this is going to be a whole new experience for him. I'd like him to test drive anything that's in his price and preference range, but I'll also put together a list for him of what his options are and see if we cant narrow things down.

Cormac on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    If he's looking for comfort, look at Volvo's. Best seats I've been in.

• Options
    Yep, the sticker price on an S60 T6 AWD R-Design is just under $44k, but you should be able to talk them down closer to $40k with a little haggling and shopping around.

Then you have a very comfortable and well-built sedan with a plush luxury interior and great stereo, AWD, and 325hp and 354ft-lb for happy fun times...

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    My mother had a Genesis for a few years and despite being a ludicrously gigantic car it was very comfortable. Good older person car.

• Options
    I'm concerned that BXJM 494 just isn't that catchy so I've gotten to brainstorming:

r9svxkE.png

NZVgkpA.png

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Mayhaps you draw inspiration from this?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Kill the Rabbit won't fit. Plus they've gone back to calling them Golfs again in Canada.

If I were a more terrible person who put bumperstickers on their vehicles I would entertain the idea of a "Kill the Rabbit" sticker on my Mazda though.

Bear is Driving on
  • Options
    Oh God, I have a sickness now and the only cure is a 1973 Toyota Century.

Fun fact: they were telling me about that Luce when I was working on getting the Figaro and I started coveting that too until I found out how much it cost.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    See, I want a Figaro, but to get one in the States would probably cost more than just buying and restoring an actual 2000S

• Options
    I'd love a "mustang" Celica, but I'd swap a 3UZ-FE with an Eaton MP90 and intercooler bolted on top into it with a 6 speed manual gearbox and go Porsche hunting.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    There is a Figaro that lives a few blocks from our place in Vancouver that I'm always excited to see. It belongs to the owner of a sushi restaurant, has custom paint and detailing, and is actually one of 5 owned by the same guy.

Nissan_Figaro_feature_8.jpg
    Nissan_Figaro_feature_4.jpg

#pipe on
This discussion has been closed.