As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam]: Her Story, told by Lethargic Corgis dreaming of their Final Fantasy.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I think Borderlands only feels "plinky" at the early levels of the game when you've got like 2 basic weapons and like 1 skill point. Which is admittedly a bit of a problem, though it's something a lot of action-RPGs suffer from. But it's not near the whole experience.

The part where I felt plinky was actually in the DLCs. Especially Tiny Tina's. A lot of enemies in there seemed to take forever and a half to die. It made me unable to finish it despite the dialogue being hilarious.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Holy shit, you guys. Her Story is pretty great. It's the first game since Fez that had me keeping a notebook that looked like the scribblings of a mad man. So amazingly satisfying to piece things together.

It's a better second season of True Detective than the actual second season of True Detective.

I told you!!!! I told you all!

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Borderlands feels more like Halo style
    Noooooope
    nope

I can accurately describe Borderlands.

You know how in MMOs, sometimes you'll go exploring and find an area way above your level, and if you try to kill the things there, all you can do is plink away at them for single digit damage and it takes like 10min to kill a single enemy assuming you don't get splattered while kiting it around?

DCBB63F12562C90021217BF4736C0DABDB4EFFE0.PNG

Except rather than one enemy it's ten enemies and it's not plinking it's rockets and fire and lightning and bullets flying everywhere. Kiting? No, you're dancing through the flame because there's no clean path to run. It is the most glorious chaos. And then it ends and you're standing on top of the pile of the vanquished, and you grab the shiny new toy. And it does something silly like shoot rockets than blow up into chain lightning and to reload you throw the thing at an enemy's face where it explodes and then a new one teleports into your hand ready to do it all again. But since that would be boring, you teleport into the middle of another wave of enemies and phase in and KABOOOOOOM they all go running on fire and you're unloading guns blazing, the middle of a storm of madness and death and awesome. And then you die because you were riding the rush and adrenaline and got in too deep.
    Execept instead of dancing through the flame you're pretty much standing still, getting hit with very little you can do about that. And when you grab the shiny new toy, instead of doing crazy shit it shoots normal bullets and janks all over the place while you do it.
    You did have a gun that shot chain-lightning once, and that was cool, but you had to get rid of it maybe half an hour later because its damage had dropped off and you had to replace it with a gun a lot like the one you picked up. There was also another gun that shot a cloud of explosions that you though was gonna be awesome, but once you tried to use it against enemies you found it did literally nothing.
    If you're willing to play for an amount of time that would leave you a bit past the heat-death of the universe you might get a gun like that chain-lightning gun you had earlier, or you could just play Warframe and get that gun in like, two weeks after you started the game, and instead of getting it through opening a chest over and over and over again or killing a boss far past the point where you got any joy out of using the terrible handling guns you had, you got it by using space magic to turn giant battalions of space nazis into even bigger clouds of pixie dust and by using a rifle that you've modified to the point where it would have an entire section of the geneva convention regarding it if the geneva convention was still a thing that existed, to turn hordes of space zombies into piles of acid-burned explosion giblets.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Viking is the greatest hero of this generation. Not only does he spend all day stabbing oni in the face to collect their body parts to make more stabby weapons and somehow even more badass samurai armor, he takes time out of his monster slaying duties to send me a gift copy of Toukiden: Kiwami. <3<3<3<3<3

Thank you so much. Senpai noticed me. Squeeee.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    @Viking is the greatest hero of this generation. Not only does he spend all day stabbing oni in the face to collect their body parts to make more stabby weapons and somehow even more badass samurai armor, he takes time out of his monster slaying duties to send me a gift copy of Toukiden: Kiwami. <3<3<3<3<3

Your giftbegging paid off!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Noooooope
    nope

You know how in MMOs, sometimes you'll go exploring and find an area way above your level, and if you try to kill the things there, all you can do is plink away at them for single digit damage and it takes like 10min to kill a single enemy assuming you don't get splattered while kiting it around?

Except rather than one enemy it's ten enemies and it's not plinking it's rockets and fire and lightning and bullets flying everywhere. Kiting? No, you're dancing through the flame because there's no clean path to run. It is the most glorious chaos. And then it ends and you're standing on top of the pile of the vanquished, and you grab the shiny new toy. And it does something silly like shoot rockets than blow up into chain lightning and to reload you throw the thing at an enemy's face where it explodes and then a new one teleports into your hand ready to do it all again. But since that would be boring, you teleport into the middle of another wave of enemies and phase in and KABOOOOOOM they all go running on fire and you're unloading guns blazing, the middle of a storm of madness and death and awesome. And then you die because you were riding the rush and adrenaline and got in too deep.
    Execept instead of dancing through the flame you're pretty much standing still, getting hit with very little you can do about that. And when you grab the shiny new toy, instead of doing crazy shit it shoots normal bullets and janks all over the place while you do it.
    You did have a gun that shot chain-lightning once, and that was cool, but you had to get rid of it maybe half an hour later because its damage had dropped off and you had to replace it with a gun a lot like the one you picked up. There was also another gun that shot a cloud of explosions that you though was gonna be awesome, but once you tried to use it against enemies you found it did literally nothing.
    If you're willing to play for an amount of time that would leave you a bit past the heat-death of the universe you might get a gun like that chain-lightning gun you had earlier, or you could just play Warframe and get that gun in like, two weeks after you started the game, and instead of getting it through opening a chest over and over and over again or killing a boss far past the point where you got any joy out of using the terrible handling guns you had, you got it by using space magic to turn giant battalions of space nazis into even bigger clouds of pixie dust and by using a rifle that you've modified to the point where it would have an entire section of the geneva convention regarding it if the geneva convention was still a thing that existed, to turn hordes of space zombies into piles of acid-burned explosion giblets.

Are we actually saying that Warframe is less of a grind than Borderlands?

Because I played Warframe for five straight hours, and not only did I still have absolutely no idea of what I was doing by the end, it did not even feel like I was advancing. It seemed to be samey missions in samey corridors obtaining some "drops" that I didn't know the use of and not even knowing what I was trying to accomplish other than following the quest markers and the people who actually knew what we were supposed to do, and I don't even remember changing weapons in that time (or if I did the new guns were so similar that they have blended together in my brain by now months afterwards).

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    @Durandal is too classy and maybe even a little evil. Gifting me Gone Home, while I'm still recovering from the feels from watching Inside Out. :biggrin:

N0UF2KQ.png?1

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Big thanks once again to @Antoshka
    this time for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords

now to plan my revenge

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I think Borderlands only feels "plinky" at the early levels of the game when you've got like 2 basic weapons and like 1 skill point. Which is admittedly a bit of a problem, though it's something a lot of action-RPGs suffer from. But it's not near the whole experience.

The part where I felt plinky was actually in the DLCs. Especially Tiny Tina's. A lot of enemies in there seemed to take forever and a half to die. It made me unable to finish it despite the dialogue being hilarious.
    Okay yeah, I can see this. The DLC scales big time, and most of the enemies have not-obvious weaknesses (I'm looking at you, Skeletons). It can absolutely be a slog in parts, but keep at it, because the dialog is worth it, especially the stuff you haven't heard yet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I really liked the first Borderlands. I thought it had a pretty decent mix of surris biznes and ridiculousness, and the story kept pulling you along and giving you reasons to fight whatever next bandit camp/cave/whatever you were headed to.

I thought Borderlands 2 was pretty solid mechanically but fuck me if I wasn't cringing 90% of the time from the worst writing I have ever seen in any medium whatsoever in my entire life. It was nothing but terrible forced "comedy" that would be right at home on a shirt a teenager who was equal parts angsty and ironic was saving up to buy from Hot Topic. I can't decide if it was awful or offal.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Drascin wrote: »
    Noooooope
    nope

Are we actually saying that Warframe is less of a grind than Borderlands?

Because I played Warframe for five straight hours, and not only did I still have absolutely no idea of what I was doing by the end, it did not even feel like I was advancing. It seemed to be samey missions in samey corridors obtaining some "drops" that I didn't know the use of and not even knowing what I was trying to accomplish other than following the quest markers and the people who actually knew what we were supposed to do, and I don't even remember changing weapons in that time (or if I did the new guns were so similar that they have blended together in my brain by now months afterwards).
    It does take a few days, with an hour or so put in each day, to get past the less exciting early game of Warframe. That early game is still decent, even if it's not as awesome as the late game.
    And I'm not saying it isn't grindy, it's just that grinding in Warframe is actually fun, unlike in borderlands. It's not a thing I don't enjoy doing but have to do if I want to get cool stuff, it more just feels like a way to help decide what missions to play because they're all generally pretty fun.

cB557 on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed playing through the campaign of both Borderlands 1 and 2, once each. They're fine games in that regard, I like the look, I'm actually ok with most of the writing (I liked Handsome Jack) even if it did go a bit far into meme land from time to time.

But I have said it before, I just don't agree with their progression curve. Their game keeps the same enemy placements, but makes them deadlier, with more hp and defensive stats, as you level up. The same enemy at level 1 will die in 1-2 shots will take 3-4 at 30 and 5-6 at 50, specced well and geared well. Maybe if you hit the true endgame this reverses, but I never got that far. Even though numbers are getting bigger, I feel like I'm weaker.

This is not fun to me. I really love the Diablo 3 model instead: More enemies, with ever escalating elites / escalating affixes, that you move through quicker. You feel like you gain power.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Well, I got through about half the tournament games, I'm really not sure if after work tonight I'll have a chance to finish everything up, but I'll give it a try. At the very least it introduced me to Spelunky, a game I've had in my library a very long time but never booted up and now want to keep playing it over and over again. Also, it showed me the Trackmania games, which I believe I'll have to add to my wishlist for the next sale.

One Way Heroics though makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Borderlands 2 is a master class in video game writing. The first game, as awesome as it is, had nearly mute protagonists moving murderously along Macguffin 101 for a storyline (with a famously disappointing ending.) There was good writing (esp. Tannis), but aside from interesting characterizations it was more of a tone poem for the looting and the shooting.

Borderlands 2 retconned those sociopathic mutes into legitimate characters baked into a framework with actual emotional hooks. Roland in BL1: "It's like Christmas!" "Like having another soldier on the battlefield!" Roland in BL2: [-Spoiler-]!!!

Obviously it's still a shooter and the writing is subject to the limitations of moving the gameplay forward. But by comparison to BL1 and most other shooters (especially that came out before it), it's positively Homeric.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Well, I got through about half the tournament games, I'm really not sure if after work tonight I'll have a chance to finish everything up, but I'll give it a try. At the very least it introduced me to Spelunky, a game I've had in my library a very long time but never booted up and now want to keep playing it over and over again. Also, it showed me the Trackmania games, which I believe I'll have to add to my wishlist for the next sale.

One Way Heroics though makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

You're stuck moving in just one-way while being heroic. Its all in the name man.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Borderlands 2 is a master class in video game writing. The first game, as awesome as it is, had nearly mute protagonists moving murderously along Macguffin 101 for a storyline (with a famously disappointing ending.) There was good writing (esp. Tannis), but aside from interesting characterizations it was more of a tone poem for looting and the shooting.

Borderlands 2 retconned those sociopathic mutes into legitimate characters baked into a framework with actual emotional hooks. Roland in the BL1: "It's like Christmas!" "Like having another soldier on the battlefield!" Roland in BL2: [-Spoiler-]!!!

Obviously it's still a shooter and the writing is subject to the limitations of moving the gameplay forward. But by comparison to BL1 and most other shooters (especially that came out before it), it's positively Homeric.
    A6pIKqj.png

Just needed to get that out of my system. Anyway, I'm going to take another shot at Back to Bed before actually going to bed. I hope those alarm clocks don't give me nightmares. :P

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Borderlands 2 is a master class in video game writing. The first game, as awesome as it is, had nearly mute protagonists moving murderously along Macguffin 101 for a storyline (with a famously disappointing ending.) There was good writing (esp. Tannis), but aside from interesting characterizations it was more of a tone poem for looting and the shooting.

It was all about looting and shooting. Borderlands was literally "Diablo with guns". Borderlands 2 was "Diablo with guns and forced memes disguised as writing".

Imagine if you were playing Diablo 2 back in 2000 and NPCs said stuff like "WHERE'S THE BEEF?" and "HAVE MERCY!" and there was a secret Dancing Baby bossfight that you beat using your Crocodile Mile sword.

If Borderlands 2 is a master class in anything it'll be "That thing we look back at fifteen years from now with the same sort of bored derision that we currently have reserved for 'The X best things about the 90s' articles on Buzzfeed".

SmokeStacks on
  • Options

It was all about looting and shooting. Borderlands was literally "Diablo with guns". Borderlands 2 was "Diablo with guns and forced memes disguised as writing".

Imagine if you were playing Diablo 2 back in 2000 and NPCs said stuff like "WHERE'S THE BEEF?" and "HAVE MERCY!" and there was a secret Dancing Baby bossfight that you beat using your Crocodile Mile sword.

If Borderlands 2 is a master class in anything it'll be "That thing we look back at fifteen years from now with the same sort of bored derision that we currently have reserved for 'The X best things about the 90s' articles on Buzzfeed".

Smokestacks: Master of being wrong about everything.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I really liked the first Borderlands. I thought it had a pretty decent mix of surris biznes and ridiculousness, and the story kept pulling you along and giving you reasons to fight whatever next bandit camp/cave/whatever you were headed to.

I thought Borderlands 2 was pretty solid mechanically but fuck me if I wasn't cringing 90% of the time from the worst writing I have ever seen in any medium whatsoever in my entire life. It was nothing but terrible forced "comedy" that would be right at home on a shirt a teenager who was equal parts angsty and ironic was saving up to buy from Hot Topic. I can't decide if it was awful or offal.

I had pretty much the exact opposite experience. I thought Borderlands 1 was a meaningless slog full of desperate attempts to distinguish itself somehow and I never could drag my way through it - I got maybe halfway and gave up.

Borderlands 2 I adored from beginning to end. The writing was fresh and fun and kept me going for well over 100 hours of lulz and bullets and Gaige-centric mayhem. And Handsome Jack is high on my list of "villains done right."

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I guess I just like my writing a hair less pedestrian than "hahaha, he said bonerfart".

Different strokes for different folks I guess 8-)

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I guess I just like my writing a hair less pedestrian than "hahaha, he said bonerfart".

Hahaha, he said strokes!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    More like Strokestacks.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

you say that like giftbegging doesn't ever not pay off

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Holy shit, you guys. Her Story is pretty great. It's the first game since Fez that had me keeping a notebook that looked like the scribblings of a mad man. So amazingly satisfying to piece things together.

It's a better second season of True Detective than the actual second season of True Detective.

Well, that is a hell of an endorsement.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »

you say that like giftbegging doesn't ever not pay off

Don't never not stop un-giftbegging?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »

Not really. The second season of True Detective has Vince Vaughn in it.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

This is how Borderlands felt from start to finish for me; I ran through it once, as Roland. Maybe I never found any good weapons, but then, that's part of the problem with the game. If RNG doesn't bless you, you're gonna have a bad time.

BLands 2 was largely the same; so much so that I never finished it. Everything is such a gorram slog in those games, every enemy is a bullet sponge, and it's just not fun to run out of ammo constantly because it takes everything you have to kill single mobs.

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Well, I played BL2 as Turret and her action skill Axton. Never had an issue with ammo.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »
    Well, I played BL2 as Turret and her action skill Axton. Never had an issue with ammo.

Same! I should pick this back up again and finish it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Congratulations, you know how to pick the worst example of something while ignoring all the better examples.

• Options

Congratulations, you know how to pick the worst example of something while ignoring all the better examples.

You have to take the whole bonerfart thing in context:
    If I remember correctly, he's doing research on these mobs so that he can put it in a book or something, right? So he's proposing all these different names that are being rejected by his publisher, and then he's like "Ah to hell with it, just call them bonerfarts". It's deliberately stupid.
    And I thought it was funny, so there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I like to think that was equal parts a compliment to Her Story and a jab at True Detective season 2.

But seriously, it's a really great mystery that uses some incredibly unique non-linear storytelling, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular

I like to think that was equal parts a compliment to Her Story and a jab at True Detective season 2.

But seriously, it's a really great mystery that uses some incredibly unique non-linear storytelling, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I've only seen the first episode of season 2 and I always like to give shows/seasons a couple episodes before I pass judgement on them, but I guess this isn't the True Detective thread :D. (But really, what caught my eye was more along the lines of "hey, this is on par/better than [this TV show]" which gives me, the unconverted, something to compare it to than just saying that it's a great game and there are things to talk about)

I'll be allocating some of next month's funds for Her Story.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »

You have to take the whole bonerfart thing in context:
    If I remember correctly, he's doing research on these mobs so that he can put it in a book or something, right? So he's proposing all these different names that are being rejected by his publisher, and then he's like "Ah to hell with it, just call them bonerfarts". It's deliberately stupid.
    And I thought it was funny, so there.

My favorite line in Borderlands 2:
    I've been wracking my head thinking of a name for that diamond horse I bought. I was thinking of naming it "Piss-For-Brains" in honor of you, but that just sounds immature. Maybe "Butt Stallion"? Nah, that's even worse. Tell you what, I'll think about it. Oh, and just to clarify, that diamond horse? It's not a statue or something, it's an actual living horse made of - you know what, I'll show you. Come here, Butt Stallion! Come here! Say hello, Butt Stallion! (horse whinny) Butt Stallion says hello.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

You're right, I should probably list some better examples.

Read some of these if you haven't actually played Borderlands 2 I guess and see how they hilariously included such cornerstones of quality comedy as "I'm chargin mah lazer" and the "arrow to the knee" reference and the times when Zero says that you just "activated his trap card".

If anything, "bonerfart" is probably one of the slightly less stupid examples of the stupid writing in Borderlands 2.

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    SmokeStacks is the life of the party confirmed.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options

You're right, I should probably list some better examples
    Only like, two percent of those are jokes, dude. And those that are jokes are usually out of the way and not part of the main dialogue.

• Options
    Only like, two percent of those are jokes, dude. And those that are jokes are usually out of the way and not part of the main dialogue.

I say this not as an insult, but I'm pretty sure you don't think 98% of them are jokes because you are too young to "get" them. You might not have been around for Darkman or Captain Planet or Major League, for example.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Well, I mean those technically aren't jokes, because references are not the same thing as jokes....but they're trying to be, so it kind of proves smokestack's point.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Like I said, mechanically it's a fun game (especially in co-op, although that is true for pretty much any game), it's just that I guess I prefer it when my games don't have have so many "references" that they can fill up an absolutely enormous webpage.

If you're aiming for comedy, I think that providing entertainment by relying on the user's knowledge of obscure to overplayed pop culture references is lazy. If you're looking at action games with comedic elements than compare a game like Borderlands 2 to a game like Psychonauts (which I thought was fucking hilarious) with their significant differences in tone and you'll see what I mean.

This discussion has been closed.