As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] DEATHRATTLE: POST IN NEW THREAD!

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I had an idea for a 2-drop priest minion:

Angsty Elf

2/3 (red 3)

This minion is always injured.

It's a 2-drop that can always be healed for cards or used to summon a lightwarden. It's also amusing.

Flavor text: CRAAAAWLIIING IIIIN MYSKIIIIIIIN.

Has to start as a 2/1 or 2/2. With CoH that's a 2/7 on turn 2 that can be healed to a 2/9 on turn three, or with a Light of the Naaru to a 2/12 with a 3/2 lightwarden. That's way way too good for its cost. Maybe a 3/1 would be reasonable.

My idea was similar to the Boneyard thingamagigger (2 mana 3/2 inspire: gain +1 health) except it gained +2 health per inspire. Perhaps it can make it in since class cards are generally better than neutrals.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Priest should really have a 0 mana heal 2 (or 3) spell. It's the next logical step in heal spells.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular

Angsty Elf

2/3 (red 3)

It's a 2-drop that can always be healed for cards or used to summon a lightwarden. It's also amusing.

Has to start as a 2/1 or 2/2. With CoH that's a 2/7 on turn 2 that can be healed to a 2/9 on turn three, or with a Light of the Naaru to a 2/12 with a 3/2 lightwarden. That's way way too good for its cost. Maybe a 3/1 would be reasonable.

My idea was similar to the Boneyard thingamagigger (2 mana 3/2 inspire: gain +1 health) except it gained +2 health per inspire. Perhaps it can make it in since class cards are generally better than neutrals.

I don't think he intended for the healing to actually increase its health, just to work for things that triggered off of healing or being injured.

I think a cooler way of doing it would be for the text to read: At the start of your turn, does 1 damage to itself. At the end of your turn, heals itself for 1 damage.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »

Angsty Elf

2/3 (red 3)

I don't think he intended for the healing to actually increase its health, just to work for things that triggered off of healing or being injured.

I think a cooler way of doing it would be for the text to read: At the start of your turn, does 1 damage to itself. At the end of your turn, heals itself for 1 damage.

Oh.

Can we have the other one, too? Maybe a 3 mana 3/1 with "this minion has no maximum health". 2 mana would be too good for that, in hindsight, but with CoH that's a 3 mana 3/5 which is worse than Blademaster but has more potential in the future. Though is also permanently weak to Execute, naturally.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    CesareB wrote: »

Angsty Elf

2/3 (red 3)

Oh.

Can we have the other one, too? Maybe a 3 mana 3/1 with "this minion has no maximum health". 2 mana would be too good for that, in hindsight, but with CoH that's a 3 mana 3/5 which is worse than Blademaster but has more potential in the future. Though is also permanently weak to Execute, naturally.

That sounds cool but I don't think it would be played over Injured Blademaster. The Divine Spirit combos, though.

And yeah, Angsty Elf has a max health of 3, it just triggers on-heal effects even at full health and if you use Light of the Naaru on it it considers it not healed.

Australopitenico on
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Plus, immune to back stab!

Because there is already a knife in the way.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    *Warlock plays Twisting Nether*

Angsty Elf: Oh good, a spell that matches my soul

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Twisting Nether over Shadow Word: Pain?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Someone used Twisting Nether on me yesterday to take out 4 of my minions

it was weird

it was casual

they didn't win

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Oh god, if a mage Unstable Portals Acidmaw their hero power becomes deathtouch.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Twisting Nether over Shadow Word: Pain?

Warlocks don't have SW:P.

Angsty Elf definitely wishes it was a Warlock class card.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Yilias wrote: »
    Oh god, if a mage Unstable Portals Acidmaw their hero power becomes deathtouch.

For the hero?

:biggrin:

:bigfrown:

Edit: Trollden is gonna have a fieldday when this happens with Coldara drake in play.

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIENDS!!!

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Someone used Twisting Nether on me yesterday to take out 4 of my minions

it was weird

it was casual

they didn't win

I have lost a couple of times to Twisting Nether. I have seen two hellfires and two shadowflames. A-ha! Feel the might of my dudes! Wait, what is that card? WHO PLAYS THAT?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    People have been shitting on the hunter legendaries...but I am pretty sure they are intended to be used both at the same time. even without dropping a heal on acidmaw on the second turn, you are giving yourself two turns of complete board dominance.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    azith28 wrote: »
    People have been shitting on the hunter legendaries...but I am pretty sure they are intended to be used both at the same time. even without dropping a heal on acidmaw on the second turn, you are giving yourself two turns of complete board dominance.

I kinda like them for being different, they work almost like spells with a body.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I'm at just over 1K dust. I want to craft a Legendary, but I can't decide who to craft.

I have: King Krush, King Mukla (got 2 in 10 or so packs, heh), Hogger, and Sylvanas Windrunner.

I figure Dr. Boom would be my best bet since he can go into a bunch of decks. I like that Foe Reaper 4000 card (not that I care if it is good or not). I know Sneed's Old Shredder and Ragnaros the Firelord are staples.

As for Hero Legendaries, I like running Paladin, so I was always looking at Tirion Fordring. I know what other ones are typical for other Heroes, so I guess I don't need many suggestions there.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Dr. Boom, Ragnaros, or Tirion. Those three are significantly better than all the other ones you mentioned

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I'll really wind up going Dr. Boom and then have regrets of not doing the other two.

Hopefully with me getting the Grand Tourney deal, I will get a legend or two from there (or a bunch of dust).

edit: A friend suggested two gold Annoyotrons. Haha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Well, have to say switching to Patron Warrior has done wonders for me. I was stuck at rank 16 for a while with my Druid, now I'm down at rank 12 without having lost since switching.

At some point I'm going to have to settle down and just grind at ranked for a couple of hours.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Well, have to say switching to Patron Warrior has done wonders for me. I was stuck at rank 16 for a while with my Druid, now I'm down at rank 12 without having lost since switching.

At some point I'm going to have to settle down and just grind at ranked for a couple of hours.

You've gone to the dark side!

I think this is part of the reason I'll never get lower than rank 10. I always try (much to my detriment) to try and play unpopular decks. Am I some kind of Hearthstone hipster? Been trying to get a quirky "egg shaman" deck to work. Its based on using sticky low cost minions (Dragon Egg, Nerubian egg, Haunted Creeper) as buff targets for Flametongue totem, Argus, etc. I've gotten down to rank 11 with it, but now I'm up to 14. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I'll really wind up going Dr. Boom and then have regrets of not doing the other two.

Hopefully with me getting the Grand Tourney deal, I will get a legend or two from there (or a bunch of dust).

At this point, if you can wait 2-3 weeks to see the new legendaries in action, I recommend doing so.
    Boom is good, but everyone and their mother runs BGH. He's still good, but who knows what will change.

Whenever this damn expansion kicks off... you know... one of these years.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options

2JuNhBW.jpg

In all seriousness though, I don't think of Patron Warrior as the 'dark side'. Yeah, burst damage is harsh, but it's not as if the deck is easy to play. You've got to pull off some nice neat board clears early on without wasting key cards so that you can make it to the turn where you have enough mana and the right combo to pull off the bullshit.

Sort of reminiscent of the original Miracle Rogue in a way.

• Options

At this point, if you can wait 2-3 weeks to see the new legendaries in action, I recommend doing so.
    Boom is good, but everyone and their mother runs BGH. He's still good, but who knows what will change.

I've seen less and less of BGH lately. Isn't everyone (i.e. about half the peeps I've faced over the weekend) running face hunter or patron warrior? I don't think either one runs BGH.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options

Yea, it is tough sitting on dust. We will see.

I am hoping the 24th rumor is true so I can get to opening those 50 packs.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I drafted an arena deck.
    Kqtxv9i.jpg

I probably made all sorts of mistakes in the drafting, but I'm amazed at being given two legendaries.

• Options

2JuNhBW.jpg

In all seriousness though, I don't think of Patron Warrior as the 'dark side'. Yeah, burst damage is harsh, but it's not as if the deck is easy to play. You've got to pull off some nice neat board clears early on without wasting key cards so that you can make it to the turn where you have enough mana and the right combo to pull off the bullshit.

Yeah, maybe the "popular side"? I don't hate losing to patron the way I do losing to the billionth face hunter I faced because I drew poorly at the beginning.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

2JuNhBW.jpg

I was watching some of the archon league games this weekend, and in one game, Trump (playing control warrior) and Sjow (playing patron warrior) have both decided to push to the late game to win.

Trump has been holding a brawl all game, and has put himself at 49 health by armoring up every turn. He's also played really well, and has avoided playing minions so that Sjow can't burst him out with Warsong + Patron + Double Frothing + Whirlwind effects. His gameplan was to force Sjow to burn his entire combo, and survive at like 1-2 health, then brawl and kill off the remaining creature with taskmaster + execute. This would have immediately won the game as Sjow would be out of threats and would die to fatigue.

And this was a really good plan! Well...until Sjow drew the last card in his deck, slammed his combo onto the board and did 50! damage to trump in one turn, killing him.

After watching that game, I'm fairly convinced there will be a change. Blizzard has repeatedly hit OTK combos and this is by far the best one that's ever existed in the game. The board states it wins through are absurd, and the strategy of "don't play minions at all, so you don't feed the frothings" is loathsome.

I remember when they nerfed Warsong Commander the first time, and this combo is more reliable, easier to dig for, harder to play around, and the individual pieces are stronger on their own. It's bonkers.

Roz on
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular

I think this is part of the reason I'll never get lower than rank 10. I always try (much to my detriment) to try and play unpopular decks. Am I some kind of Hearthstone hipster? Been trying to get a quirky "egg shaman" deck to work. Its based on using sticky low cost minions (Dragon Egg, Nerubian egg, Haunted Creeper) as buff targets for Flametongue totem, Argus, etc. I've gotten down to rank 11 with it, but now I'm up to 14. :(

That's how I play the game, and how I encourage anyone who will listen to play. Think about it, unless you're one of the top 0.01% of the players, you will eventually settle in to a place on the ladder where you win 50% of your games, no matter what deck you play. People go into try hard mode with the best deck they can pull off a website and depending on their skill end up going 50% at rank 10, 5, low legend. Would you rather win half of your games at rank 5 with someone else's deck or win half of your games at rank 15 with your own genius invention? It just doesn't matter man, nobody cares what rank you are. Of course I'd also encourage taking a proven deck and testing yourself by seeing how far you can take it, once in a while. It's also useful to try popular decks to understand what makes a deck good. Other than that though, just forget the grind and have fun.

• Options
    Roz wrote: »

2JuNhBW.jpg

I was watching some of the archon league games this weekend, and in one game, Trump (playing control warrior) and Sjow (playing patron warrior) have both decided to push to the late game to win.

Trump has been holding a brawl all game, and has put himself at 49 health by armoring up every turn. He's also played really well, and has avoided playing minions so that Sjow can't burst him out with Warsong + Patron + Double Frothing + Whirlwind effects. His gameplan was to force Sjow to burn his entire combo, and survive at like 1-2 health, then brawl and kill off the remaining creature with taskmaster + execute. This would have immediately won the game as Sjow would be out of threats and would die to fatigue.

And this was a really good plan! Well...until Sjow drew the last card in his deck, slammed his combo onto the board and did 50! damage to trump in one turn, killing him.

After watching that game, I'm fairly convinced there will be a change. Blizzard has repeatedly hit OTK combos and this is by far the best one that's ever existed in the game. The board states it wins through are absurd, and the strategy of "don't play minions at all, so you don't feed the frothings" is loathsome.

I remember when they nerfed Warsong Commander the first time, and this combo is more reliable, easier to dig for, harder to play around, and the individual pieces are stronger on their own. It's bonkers.

Yeah, the Frothings can be a pain in the ass. I haven't actually drawn into one for the last couple of games though, which is probably altering my viewpoint. With just Warsong and Patron I'm having to manage the game a bit more carefully because I know I'll need to last a few turns to get all the damage from just Patrons.

I also haven't played against many decks that are happy to go to the late-game just yet. Pretty much everyone I'm facing is trying to aggro me out early. Think that's more a sign of the meta right now.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It wasn't actually a very good plan if Trump had been tracking what cards Sjow had played and if he assumed that Thaussarian had triggered on the majority of the combo (and I think Thauss was on the board). He had a 50/50 kill with yolo boombots and that was 100% the better plan.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I think the most obvious reason Patron Warrior needs to be addressed is the simple fact that it's been top of the meta for what, months now? Like, there's literally no other deck out there that can tech to beat it enough that it can overtake it for any realistic period of time.

Face Hunter is boring to see a bunch of, but you can build around it, which discourages it, which means you see less of it, which means the anti-tech is less popular, which means Face Hunter comes back for a bit, which means, hey, an interesting and fluid meta. Patron Warrior is just ALWAYS there and ALWAYS the best, which is just, well, boring.

Oh, and my PERSONAL biggest peeve about it is that in formats where you can ban a class, people almost ALWAYS ban Warrior, which means if you ever come up with an interesting Warrior deck, it doesn't matter! You'll never be able to use or see it in a competitive setting, because people will ban your Warrior out of fear of Patron. That whole taunt-Warrior with Varian thing people (including me) are salivating over? As long as Patron Warrior remains the monster it is, it'll never have a chance at competitive play.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    My arena deck posted above didn't do that well and I ended with just 3 wins.

• Options
    Class banning is a trash format anyways.

I'm guessing they'll wait about a month after TGT is out.

• Options
    I don't think they will change Warsong Commander (or Patron or whatever) this close to a new expansionrelease as they want to see if the new cards help in nerfing the deck.

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Can I just rephrase that I'm not saying Patron isn't OP, I'm just saying it isn't the instant win button some people have suggested it is (much in the same way the original Miracle Rogue wasn't)
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I don't think they will change Warsong Commander (or Patron or whatever) this close to a new expansionrelease as they want to see if the new cards help in nerfing the deck.

Pretty much. You can't balance something when you're changing the entire context in a couple of weeks.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »

Keep in mind they nerfed Gadgetzan Auctioneer, Soulfire, and Flare right before GvG launched. Or maybe right after? It was pretty much around the same time though. It could very well happen.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Playing my demonlock...

Priest drops injured blademaster on turn 3. No heals.

OK, I dark bomb it on my turn 3.

Priest turn 4: double revive
    FML.

Turn 5 he drops that legendary that gives you a spare part on summon and deathrattle.

Later he drops the 6-8 that does dmg to adjacent minions.

At least, I managed to survive into the super late game... somehow...
    He killed me by shadow maddening my void caller and dropping aucheani + hero power.

This is after I had gotten 3 or so turns with Jaraxx up.
    Tough game.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I drafted an arena deck.
    Kqtxv9i.jpg

I probably made all sorts of mistakes in the drafting, but I'm amazed at being given two legendaries.

I got two legendaries last night in a pretty good paladin deck and went 1-3

GOOD LUCK

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I spectated MNC Dover for the spectate quest and he played Warrior.

Upon his winning, I opened my pack and got Garrosh.

So if you ever want a class legendary, get the spectate quest and ask him to play that class for you.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I spectated MNC Dover for the spectate quest and he played Warrior.

Upon his winning, I opened my pack and got Garrosh.

So if you ever want a class legendary, get the spectate quest and ask him to play that class for you.

Hmmmm I have that quest.

What does he have to play so I can get a Dr. Boom? ;-)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Mech Mage?