As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] DEATHRATTLE: POST IN NEW THREAD!

• Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I don't think they will change Warsong Commander (or Patron or whatever) this close to a new expansionrelease as they want to see if the new cards help in nerfing the deck.

Keep in mind they nerfed Gadgetzan Auctioneer, Soulfire, and Flare right before GvG launched. Or maybe right after? It was pretty much around the same time though. It could very well happen.

That is true, those did happen fairly close together. Maybe they will do the same to Patron right at release to promote trying some new decks out. Otherwise people might stick to the obvious #1 Patron deck while everyone else flounders around with the new cards.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    so what are people going to cook up on release?

I'm hoping to get enough cards to try out

Beasty Druid
    Spellpower Magey
    Murlockin' Pally
    ARRRRR ROGUE

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Beasty Druid
    Spellpower Magey
    Murlockin' Pally
    ARRRRR ROGUE

Right now the dream is dragon control warrior featuring varian.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

Speaking of...

@MNC Dover
    Can you please, PLEASE, for the love of all that is holy and pure, fix the lowercase L in the thread title?

PLEASE GOD DAMN IT!!!!!

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Like seriously, I'm texting you right now.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Speaking of...

@MNC Dover
    Can you please, PLEASE, for the love of all that is holy and pure, fix the lowercase L in the thread title?

PLEASE GOD DAMN IT!!!!!

"[hearthstone] let the grand tournament begin!"

Like that, right? :rotate:

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Can I just rephrase that I'm not saying Patron isn't OP, I'm just saying it isn't the instant win button some people have suggested it is (much in the same way the original Miracle Rogue wasn't).

I agree with this. Patron needs a certain board state to blast off with the speed of light, and the more minions on the board the more chance they have of winning.

Depending on the board state, it's better to play only one (big) minion lategame instead of hoping to win next turn with a big rush of small creatures. Otherwise you are fueling the Patrons or 'the 2/3 that grows with damage but can't recall its name' minion.

Late game, it helps to count the amount of minions/ 1 damage spells he can play to see if you die to the 2/3 if you even play one minion.

Problem, sometimes it just cannot be helped and RNGesus was in need of salt.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Speaking of...

@MNC Dover

PLEASE GOD DAMN IT!!!!!

"[Lhearthstone] Llet Lthe Lgrand Ltournament Lbegin!"

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Dragon priest if I can get the 3/6 taunt dragon, beast/tempo druid (fuck Innervate/Wild Growth forever), C.R.E.A.M. warrior feat. Dr Wrynn.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »

Whenever this damn expansion kicks off... you know... one of these years.

Wow... I remember when Blizzard would say "Soon" and mean it was sometime in the next decade. They get it down to a month and people still complain.

:)

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    ShadowofVT wrote: »
    I don't think they will change Warsong Commander (or Patron or whatever) this close to a new expansionrelease as they want to see if the new cards help in nerfing the deck.

Keep in mind they nerfed Gadgetzan Auctioneer, Soulfire, and Flare right before GvG launched. Or maybe right after? It was pretty much around the same time though. It could very well happen.

That is true, those did happen fairly close together. Maybe they will do the same to Patron right at release to promote trying some new decks out. Otherwise people might stick to the obvious #1 Patron deck while everyone else flounders around with the new cards.

Keep in mind that all 3 of those were from the expert set, so they'd already been through one expansion.

The Flare nerf was pretty much directly addressing that -- they tried to push secrets with Mad Scientist in Naxx, but Mage (and Pally) secrets were pretty much still dead because Hunter was super popular and Flare was an easy filler to include. Pally secrets are still pretty much dead, but that's more because they're 1 mana cards and thus relatively weak.

The Gadgetzan nerf was tied to the spare part mechanic that they were introducing in GVG -- miracle rogue was still a solid deck after the Leeroy nerf, and adding a bunch of 1 mana spells would have been pretty crazy. It also may have spawned a bunch of other Miracle Class decks.

Soulfire was most likely just the response to Zoo's continued strong position in the meta after Naxx. And keep in mind this is pre-Undertaker nerf, so we're talking Deathrattle Zoo with Undertaker. Being able to protect your board without losing any tempo was just too good.

Also, looking back on nerf timing -- the Undertaker nerf was about 7 weeks after the launch of GVG (Dec 8th launch, Jan 27th nerf).

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Also let's talk shop about potential underrated/undervalued cards.

I think Gormok the Impaler is going to be seriously good in say, Zoo Lock. Zoo typically has plenty of other small token-y minions on board, Gormok is a pretty huge swing card (4 damage battlecry to kill a dude, and put a 4/4 in play!) and like NO ONE has been talking about it. I think it's going to fly under the radar. Might be good in other aggro decks as well (Aggro Pally maybe? tends to flood the board, Muster for Battle puts 3 dudes out).

And while not necessarily undervalued/underrated, I think Effigy is going to be crazy good. Insanely good. People also haven't really been talking about this one either but holy crap.

Other considerations:
    King's Elekk - I think a lot of people aren't realizing how much potential this card has. Play a 3/2 beast, draw a card sometimes. That's good, for a 2 drop.
    Mulch - Most Constructed decks have a game plan, tossing a random creature in their hand isn't going to cause them to deviate from that plan. Unless it's a really good creature. Still, 3 mana hard removal Druid card and it seems pretty good.
    Stable Master - I'm not entirely sold on this one yet? But there's a possibility of having a pretty big swing turn. Imagine dropping King's Elekk on 2, then using Stable Master to let King's Elekk kill off a Knife Juggler or even a 3 drop.
    Spellslinger - Sure, you might give yourself Totemic Might and your opponent a Flamestrike. But the opposite could happen too. Gonna keep an eye on this one, there's potential here. Plus it's a 3 mana 3/4.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Speaking of...

@MNC Dover

PLEASE GOD DAMN IT!!!!!

Dont you love how the guy whos most grammar nazi on these threads is the guy who spells his name with 3 Upper case M's?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Speaking of...

@MNC Dover

PLEASE GOD DAMN IT!!!!!

Dont you love how the guy whos most grammar nazi on these threads is the guy who spells his name with 3 Upper case M's?

I SEE NOThing WROng WITh THAt...

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular

Wow... I remember when Blizzard would say "Soon" and mean it was sometime in the next decade. They get it down to a month and people still complain.

I just take issue with saying it's coming in August and (seemingly) only releasing it in the last week of August.

It's technically correct. I know that's the best kind of correct, but it's also the most irritating kind of correct.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Beasty Druid
    Spellpower Magey
    Murlockin' Pally
    ARRRRR ROGUE

I'm going to make the slowest paladin in the universe. Tuskarr Jousters, some dragons, Enter the Colosseum. It'll be terrible probably but I don't care.

And definitely some sort of ramp Druid.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    El Skid wrote: »
    Speaking of...

@MNC Dover

PLEASE GOD DAMN IT!!!!!

I SEE NOThing WROng WITh THAt...

It's actually Blizzard's fault for that.

Loaded up Starcraft back in 1998.
    Create an account!
    Cool...
    Mig.... taken

MMig... taken... damn it...

and thus the world created MMMig, not out of desire, but out of necessity
    and lo did regret ever share such a vast audience

It's also dumb that Facebook thinks names with 3 consecutive letters aren't real and thus won't let you use that.
    Everyone there spells it as MMig and it's very irritating

-_-'

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    That's why you should have made it xXx_Dark_Mig_xXx instead

then there would be no confusion!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Did you try Mlg?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Also let's talk shop about potential underrated/undervalued cards.

I think Gormok the Impaler is going to be seriously good in say, Zoo Lock. Zoo typically has plenty of other small token-y minions on board, Gormok is a pretty huge swing card (4 damage battlecry to kill a dude, and put a 4/4 in play!) and like NO ONE has been talking about it. I think it's going to fly under the radar. Might be good in other aggro decks as well (Aggro Pally maybe? tends to flood the board, Muster for Battle puts 3 dudes out).

And while not necessarily undervalued/underrated, I think Effigy is going to be crazy good. Insanely good. People also haven't really been talking about this one either but holy crap.

Other considerations:
    King's Elekk - I think a lot of people aren't realizing how much potential this card has. Play a 3/2 beast, draw a card sometimes. That's good, for a 2 drop.
    Mulch - Most Constructed decks have a game plan, tossing a random creature in their hand isn't going to cause them to deviate from that plan. Unless it's a really good creature. Still, 3 mana hard removal Druid card and it seems pretty good.
    Stable Master - I'm not entirely sold on this one yet? But there's a possibility of having a pretty big swing turn. Imagine dropping King's Elekk on 2, then using Stable Master to let King's Elekk kill off a Knife Juggler or even a 3 drop.
    Spellslinger - Sure, you might give yourself Totemic Might and your opponent a Flamestrike. But the opposite could happen too. Gonna keep an eye on this one, there's potential here. Plus it's a 3 mana 3/4.

I think Gormok will do well in several decks. I could see him going in my Shaman deck for sure (lots of sticky minions).

Yes, I think mulch will see a lot of use, and replace naturalize in a lot of decks for just the reason you state, that a random minion, more often than not, will be of much, much less use than making them draw two of their own cards.

King's Elekk, might be good, but I don't see hunter being a class that lends itself to jousting well (I guess control hunter could become a thing?) so, while true, 3/2 and a card for 2 mana is good, I'd imagine the chance of winning the joust might be in the (pretty wild guess here) 20% area. So just keep that in mind.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options

I just take issue with saying it's coming in August and (seemingly) only releasing it in the last week of August.

It's technically correct. I know that's the best kind of correct, but it's also the most irritating kind of correct.

We get this kind of rant every time a new expansion/game is released.
    People are excited.
    People can't wait.
    I get it.
    I always give the same advice to help fight the disappointment.
    Start assuming they mean 'at the last possible day of release, at 23:59:59'. Every second it's sooner is just a bonus.

As long as we cannot see in the inner workings of Blizzard we cannot know why there is no exact date yet. It may be last minute changes, problems with code, milking more preorders, etc.
    This is how they work. We cannot do anything but wait. Sooooooon.

See my profile here!
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Did you try Mlg?

... o0o

anyway, enough about being mistaken for a Marylin Manson Russian Jet fighter...

I truly do wish the meta gets all kind of effed up with this expansion.
    Tired of seeing the same deck types over and over again.

It doesn't seem like hero powers and inspire are too strong but well, we'll see.
    I crafted Galywix some time ago while possibly drunk... I want a reason to use him!!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Did you try Mlg?

... o0o

It doesn't seem like hero powers and inspire are too strong but well, we'll see.
    I crafted Galywix some time ago while possibly drunk... I want a reason to use him!!

It's tough to see where the meta will end up this far out. It took months before we felt the full extend of GvG's effects. That said, I'm a lot less impressed by the cards so far compared to GvG. I am however a pretty awful deckbuilder for anything meaningful and joust or inspire doesn't fill me with deck ideas the way mechs did.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

Just wanted to post this.
    Nice!

See my profile here!
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Given that, I'm guessing that the patch to add the TGT cards and support for the ranked mode changes is coming tomorrow when they do maintenance, expansion live on the 25th?

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I know conventional wisdom is not to use dust to create rares or epics, but I'm getting pretty sick of my rogue not having a second blade flurry. I have 2000 gold and 400 dust saved up for this expansion, but I am sorely tempted to use some of it on basic cards.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    Okay, so I know conventional wisdom is not to use dust to create rares or epics, but I'm getting pretty sick of my rogue not having a second blade flurry. I have 2000 gold and 400 dust saved up for this expansion, but I am sorely tempted to use some of it on basic cards.

Meh, I'd say use it if not for TGT coming out soon. I crafted one Ancient of Lore waaaay back (might have been last year?). I still haven't gotten another one in a pack, so I'd say it was worth it. However, with TGT coming out, I'd save it just for the new stuff coming out, though blade flurry is still gonna be good, so /shrug.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited August 2015

You should imo. A lot of them are staples. Especially if you won't be buying classic cards for a while.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    Did you try Mlg?

... o0o

It's tough to see where the meta will end up this far out. It took months before we felt the full extend of GvG's effects. That said, I'm a lot less impressed by the cards so far compared to GvG. I am however a pretty awful deckbuilder for anything meaningful and joust or inspire doesn't fill me with deck ideas the way mechs did.

It's also tough to predict how good cards will be before they're released. Think back on GVG and remember the predictions for:
    Antique Healbot
    Shield Maiden
    Imp-losion
    Dr. Boom

Or Naxx with Sludge Belcher and Webspinner.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Jesus, @mmmig, did you really text me for a thread capitalization?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Jesus, mmmig, did you really text me for a thread capitalization?

Don't give in! He's not the boss of you!

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular

You should imo. A lot of them are staples. Especially if you won't be buying classic cards for a while.

That's what I wanted to hear :)

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Dover you are a monster.

Australopitenico on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Jesus, @mmmig, did you really text me for a thread capitalization?

That's it. I'm usurping the thread next time.

I think it's fine to craft epics, because a lot of the epics are really important and pretty rare.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

There are still blues I am missing from the base set. I think I got my first Aldor 2 weeks ago. When going the pure f2p model you should craft whatever you need. There is no telling how RNGsus will treat you.

• Options
    Yeah, core tech rares and epics will give you a LOT more than some legendary no matter how OP (because they're not THAT OP).

Key cards are crucial to making decks work. The fatties just do whatever fatties do.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Yeah, core tech rares and epics will give you a LOT more than some legendary no matter how OP (because they're not THAT OP).

Key cards are crucial to making decks work. The fatties just do whatever fatties do.

Agreed. Here's my list of class epics/rares/legendaries that are a must:

Druid: Ancient of Lore.
    Hunter: Eaglethorn Bow, Highmane.
    Mage: Antonidas.
    Paladin: Equality and Tirion.
    Priest: Soulpriest and Cabal.
    Rogue: Blade Fury.
    Shaman: Ummm...
    Warlock: Doomguard, Jaraxxus, Mal'Ganis.
    Warrior: Armorsmith and Garrosh.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Preparation needs to be on that list. As does Shield Slam.

admanb on
  • Options

I wouldn't say you need Jarax or Malganis if you're playing zoo (which zoo is legend-worthy already).

They're only really for demonlock.

Malylock doesn't use them either.

l4lGvOw.png

wra