Options

The sorting [chat]

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I actually kinda dig both Load and Reload by Metallica. Both have some good tracks.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Things I would redo in High School:
    - be WAY WAY nicer to the first girl I ever kissed. Cause man, it wasn't intentional but just completely not ready for a relationship on any level, but I was a huge dick to her.
    - totally done something about the girls in band who years later I would realize would probably have gone out with me if I'd ever actually tried something

- Also, I guess, maybe tell myself to actually try in my last two years cause I could really have used both real study skills and a real work ethic and gotten into a much better school if I'd ever done any work beyond showing up to class

shryke on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I think I was pretty okay in high school? I had more sex there than I had throughout the majority of my university/post-university days, I did well in school, and I had a pretty good group of friends

I guess the only thing I'd really do is choose a different university degree as my initial one

I would've hopefully ended up at roughly the same place I am now, just... better prepared?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    what kind of blows my mind about interpersonal relationships- re losing touch with one of the most important people in your life- is how random shit is. i can choose to try and expend more effort to be friends with or date people i like or find interesting. but sometimes a cool person just doesn't enter your life because one of you was having a bad day or whatever and sometimes a person that you might regard as lame, impartially without a connection, becomes incredibly important to you and you just accept or ignore their shortcomings.

maybe that's kind of cynical but i often reflect on how i strongly dislike a person and then realize- huh, they are actually just like one of my good friends. but fuck them! because of one experience that happened one time. or vice versa.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Oddities abound.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    also @Elki my PSN handle is okamiitto (because I got it when I was in high school), add me up

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    i'm a square, my high-school redo dreams all involve playing the exams better

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I actually kinda dig both Load and Reload by Metallica. Both have some good tracks.

Load has Bleeding Me, Ronnie, Cure and King Nothing. It is an excellent album.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    BTW there was a reddit thread in WTF about my hometown today

https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/3i1px4/meanwhile_in_modesto/

After the OP, most of the comments are along the line of "man, this town sucks" or "yeah, but $NearbyTown sucks more"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_TxZ0IrNPE
    I unironically enjoy this.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    shryke wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Pillars of Eternity had a cool conceit where your character had the superpower to read people's souls, but this was mainly used to let you read the little biographical stories of background characters written by Kickstarter backers.

It turns out that letting Kickstarter patrons write three paragraphs of text in your game goes about as well as you would expect.
    XX-HunterVader-XX stepped into the moonlit forest clearing. his trenchcoat and hat darker even than the night sky above him. The moonlight glinted off his katana, Dragonsoul.

"Stop right there!" the guards said, leveling their spears. "This forest is off-limits!"

"....", said the man in the black cloak.

"Who are you?!", yelled the guard again.

"....", the man replied.

"Oh," the guard said, lowering his spear slightly. "Are you some kind of deaf-mute? This forest is handicap-accessible by order of AAAAAAAAA"

Dragonsoul had awoken! With a flash of silver faster than the eye could see, it drank the guards' blood...and their souls, which were sucked screaming into the void of törment.

Bloodless bodies slumped to the ground around XX-HunterVader-XX, who had not appeared to move an inch. His lip curled upward a single millimeter in an expression some men call "a smile."

"...", he said.

Is ... is this real?

We're well past the Poe's Law line with "written by Kickstarter backers" so you have to clarify.

No, that is what, in the vernacular of the classic tv shows Unsolved Mysteries, Cops, and True Stories of the Highway Patrol, is known as a dramatic re-enactment.

But there is very little exaggeration there. A huge chunk of the stories really are about how the person's character does something incredibly sociopathic while not engaging in any conversation at all.

I think my biggest departure from the truth was in the dude's name. Nobody's character sounds like a Counterstrike clan name, but there are plenty of names that are basically as silly, these "Dave Thunderlord" type things.

Hey man, don't act like it wasn't plausible. That's what made it so good.

I just wanted to mention Unsolved Mysteries and Real STories of the Highway Patrol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vufUyWlupFA

• Options
    feral literally all i know about modesto is that some good looking white couples murder each other there

• Options
    Pillars of Eternity had a cool conceit where your character had the superpower to read people's souls, but this was mainly used to let you read the little biographical stories of background characters written by Kickstarter backers.

It turns out that letting Kickstarter patrons write three paragraphs of text in your game goes about as well as you would expect.
    XX-HunterVader-XX stepped into the moonlit forest clearing. his trenchcoat and hat darker even than the night sky above him. The moonlight glinted off his katana, Dragonsoul.

"Stop right there!" the guards said, leveling their spears. "This forest is off-limits!"

"....", said the man in the black cloak.

"Who are you?!", yelled the guard again.

"....", the man replied.

"Oh," the guard said, lowering his spear slightly. "Are you some kind of deaf-mute? This forest is handicap-accessible by order of AAAAAAAAA"

Dragonsoul had awoken! With a flash of silver faster than the eye could see, it drank the guards' blood...and their souls, which were sucked screaming into the void of törment.

Bloodless bodies slumped to the ground around XX-HunterVader-XX, who had not appeared to move an inch. His lip curled upward a single millimeter in an expression some men call "a smile."

"...", he said.

Is ... is this real?

We're well past the Poe's Law line with "written by Kickstarter backers" so you have to clarify.

No, that is what, in the vernacular of the classic tv shows Unsolved Mysteries, Cops, and True Stories of the Highway Patrol, is known as a dramatic re-enactment.

But there is very little exaggeration there. A huge chunk of the stories really are about how the person's character does something incredibly sociopathic while not engaging in any conversation at all.

I think my biggest departure from the truth was in the dude's name. Nobody's character sounds like a Counterstrike clan name, but there are plenty of names that are basically as silly, these "Dave Thunderlord" type things.

Hey man, don't act like it wasn't plausible. That's what made it so good.

I just wanted to mention Unsolved Mysteries and Real STories of the Highway Patrol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vufUyWlupFA

Oh my god I watched this show so much.

• Options
    Hosted by Ultra Magnus.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

it is because I was a square that my redo dreams involve getting it in!

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    feral literally all i know about modesto is that some good looking white couples murder each other there

chu says, nodding approvingly at the map pinned to his wall

• Options

chu says, nodding approvingly at the map pinned to his wall

some men like the low cost of living in southeast asia

i myself have different retirement aims

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

it is because I was a square that my redo dreams involve getting it in!

is a square

that dreams of not being a square

really square

Screenshotfrom20130722005602.png

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    i definitely wish i'd have tried harder in school- if i'd gone to a more competitive college i might have been more driven to perform well when mom dukes passed

as it was no one around me gave a fuck about school which i think might have aided my apathy

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

It is hard for me to separate my experience of high school from my experience of Modesto.

At the very least, it is a town where you need a car (the bus system is notoriously terrible) and I didn't have the money to buy one as a teenager so even if I had tried harder to get laid, I would have had anywhere to actually do the deed.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    is a square

that dreams of not being a square

really square

it is the yearning that defines us

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_TxZ0IrNPE
    I unironically enjoy this.

I... well... that is sure some noise.

• Options
    My favorite songs off of Reload are Devil's Dance and Bad Seed.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Guy selling his i5 4460 for 150 bucks has now backed down even more and is settling for 110.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    I also think Death magnetic was pretty good. There was only one stinker on that album (Unforgiven III)

• Options
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Guy selling his i5 4460 for 150 bucks has now backed down even more and is settling for 110.

Do eet

• Options
    I should not have had Coffee two hours ago. I got major heartburn from it :(

• Options
    I think this is my favourite Metallica song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfbkwc2krL4

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

Carpe Diem Baby and The Memory Remains aren't bad either

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Zampanov wrote: »

Carpe Diem Baby and The Memory Remains aren't bad either

Low Man's Lyric is the only stinker. Album already had a slower. mellow song and it is just bad.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    I also think Death magnetic was pretty good. There was only one stinker on that album (Unforgiven III)

yeah no one should do sequels to songs pls

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    but St. Anger is a trashcan full of flaming poo

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I am trying to think if there is one song I liked. I don't think so. To their credit, Metallica doesn't play any of those songs anymore.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Dare to be ugly.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Ya done good with OP @Apothe0sis

• Options

I am trying to think if there is one song I liked. I don't think so. To their credit, Metallica doesn't play any of those songs anymore.

The Unnamed Feeling is almost salvageable

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I maintain the only reason Metallica fans hated Load and Reload is because Metallica was getting older but more importantly so were their fans

And getting older sucks

So fuck Metallica for actually being human beings who age

• Options

I maintain the only reason Metallica fans hated Load and Reload is because Metallica was getting older but more importantly so were their fans

And getting older sucks

The worst Metallica fans are the ones who wanted Metallica to just do Master of Puppets forever.

• Options

And getting older sucks

well the thrash metal fans saw the black album and were like alright you get ONE experiment

when they kept doing not thrash things they lost it because some people just don't allow themselves to like multiple kinds of music even after they stop being teenagers

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

It is hard for me to separate my experience of high school from my experience of Modesto.

At the very least, it is a town where you need a car (the bus system is notoriously terrible) and I didn't have the money to buy one as a teenager so even if I had tried harder to get laid, I would have had anywhere to actually do the deed.

One of the nice ways in which age has brought perspective and serenity is in the realization of how some of the stuff I wanted back then was out of my hands because of factors I didn't have a huge amount of control over. Like, I was lucky enough to have a few close friends, many pleasant acquaintances and no enemies, but I didn't date and I wasn't getting invited to parties, and that burned. But in retrospect, how could I have? I was a poor kid in a rich suburb where everyone else got a car on their 16th birthday; I had to drive the family van until I was almost nineteen. I didn't have money to go out with, and I didn't have a job to get money, because I spent four nights a week halfway across town with a controlling mother who would lock me in the house sometimes.

So I've learned to forgive myself a lot of these "regrets." If I could go back, I'd basically want younger me to learn to study harder and not stop exercising, but mainly because of how those would help me in 2015 than because they would have been a life-changer in 1996.

The thing I would do, though? I'd explain to myself that not getting laid in high school isn't a referendum on one's worth as a human being. That sure would have cleared up a lot of confusion.

This discussion has been closed.