Options

The sorting [chat]

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    in NYC no less

$30k in NYC can get you a really nice cardboard box under a bridge in Astoria

You'll still probably have enough for an MTA card and three meals a week

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    in NYC no less

you quality for public housing and food stamps at 30k/yr, I am pretty sure.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if, as a nation, we just decided that there is a subset of college degree tracks that we aren't interested in funding anymore.

who gets to decide

I hope it's me

cutting out all theoretical math majors cuz good god nerds do something with your life

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    you can tell that youth doesn't deserve a living wage because of his backwards cap and sunglasses and the rap music he is probably listening to

and they're definitely the target demo here

certainly not the scores of minority workers who actually scrape by working at these places

nope

definitely jerk-ass white kids

with their hip hop

and dan fogelberg

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    the best burger conversation is so awful

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    When Summer's family was in town from Sweden and doing the touristy thing here in NYC, they had lunch at a burger king.

They were horrified at how terrible and expensive it was. Apparently Burger King over in Europe is nice? Like, something we would consider a Five Guys?

They thought our Burger King was a knockoff.

i say this literally every time the awful burger conversation comes up, but BK here is genuinely nice

it's so weird because the name "Burger King" implies like, some goofy chain restaurant, about as respectable as the name "Taco Bell"

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    you can tell that youth doesn't deserve a living wage because of his backwards cap and sunglasses and the rap music he is probably listening to

I bet it's going to make a buncha anthro majors upset though.

Coming out of school with no better prospect than a fry cook and 50k in debt makes for some vicious class warfare.

It is one of the inherent risks of those degrees though.

But I am not really sure how this is an argument against it, considering if they had to work fast food after graduating in order to pay the bills it would be good if that was a living wage.

The stereotype this ad is playing up is important

The people who will benefit most from (and desperately need) that $15 minimum wage is not your shiftless, lazy middle class white son who doesn't care about school, MAN. It's not the 15 year old kid who you out the fear of God into for SAT prep by yelling about how they're going to end up as a McDonald's worker.

Like, literally not a single worker at the times
    Square McDonald's even remotely fits this profile. I'll give you one guess how they're different

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    #liberalArtsDegreesMatter

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

and they're definitely the target demo here

certainly not the scores of minority workers who actually scrape by working at these places

nope

definitely jerk-ass white kids

with their hip hop

and dan fogelberg

tbf, if that ad showed a black kid we'd all be screamin' bout the 'cisms

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Only acceptable engineering degree is in being a train engineer.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    in NYC no less

wait really?

this is deffo not the case in CO

sig.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    (That's a generalized "you" although cleric might agree with me considering how younger siblings are the worst right cleric)

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I wonder what would happen if, as a nation, we just decided that there is a subset of college degree tracks that we aren't interested in funding anymore.

Bad things. We need people to continue in the track of historical preservation, arts, philosophies, etc. such that we continue to evolve our understanding of the past an maintain a continued and ever expanding chain of knowledge from one generation to the next.

Maybe we should be a bit more selective in how many of those need to exist at any given time and make it competitive such that we do not have a glut of graduates fighting over a very small number of very real and essential positions, but there absolutely should be governmental support for these degrees.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So, starting tomorrow I'm a student again.

Elaboration to come, now I am sleep.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

who gets to decide

I hope it's me

cutting out all theoretical math majors cuz good god nerds do something with your life

No it's my idea I get to decide.

sorry "science", you're gone. We're only funding Chicago school economics and "liberty studies".

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @jean that suuuuuuuuucks

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

who gets to decide

I hope it's me

being a math major sort of blows

it would be doing them a favor maybe

sig.gif
  • Options
    in NYC no less

wait really?

It depends on household size and local income thresholds and asset/resource tests

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    When Summer's family was in town from Sweden and doing the touristy thing here in NYC, they had lunch at a burger king.

They were horrified at how terrible and expensive it was. Apparently Burger King over in Europe is nice? Like, something we would consider a Five Guys?

i say this literally every time the awful burger conversation comes up, but BK here is genuinely nice

it's so weird because the name "Burger King" implies like, some goofy chain restaurant, about as respectable as the name "Taco Bell"

yeah, it's a chain restaurant but it's not shit tier like McDonalds or whatever

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    god damn it, @Vanguard

now I'm getting 8 CITIES EVERY HIPSTER SHOULD VISIT

it's all your fault

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Only acceptable engineering degree is in being a train engineer.

Well then. Next time you want refrigerant for your air conditioner you can ask Mr tophat for it.hmmmf

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

This anti-monarchist impertinence

• Options
    edited August 2015
    in NYC no less

wait really?

The average studio apartment in colorado doesn't cost 1500/mo.

New York City is weird.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

who gets to decide

I hope it's me

No it's my idea I get to decide.

sorry "science", you're gone. We're only funding Chicago school economics and "liberty studies".

Wait I was wary when you first suggested this idea but now I'm 100% behind it

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    the best burger conversation is so awful

one more mention and we get to talk about the value proposition of wendy's. I am real excited.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    these cells seem to have discovered how to read ayn rand
    they really like objectivism and have decided to no longer take my free nutritional supplements in the culture media
    instead they make their own and distribute it at a predetermined and reactionary market value

please fund me koch brothers
    please fund me

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Bad things. We need people to continue in the track of historical preservation, arts, philosophies, etc. such that we continue to evolve our understanding of the past an maintain a continued and ever expanding chain of knowledge from one generation to the next.

Maybe we should be a bit more selective in how many of those need to exist at any given time and make it competitive such that we do not have a glut of graduates fighting over a very small number of very real and essential positions, but there absolutely should be governmental support for these degrees.

No i agree totally that all those things are needed as a society, but do we need to fund unlimited numbers of that kind of skillset?

I don't really think so.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Also I'm not even sure I get the criticism of that ad.

So some people will decide they don't want to go to college and will instead happily enter the workforce?

I fail to see a problem.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    in NYC no less

wait really?

The average studio apartment in colorado doesn't cost 1500/mo.

New York City is weird.

in denver it's up to like 1100

p hard to make ends meet on 30k there if you have a car payment or student loans

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

On the other hand, imagine you're from another country and see a place called "Five Guys." You look inside and see boxes all over the place and, for some reason, peanuts.

Meanwhile that restaurant is endorsed by royalty.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Or just fund them based on employment rate. Not in-field employment, just generally employment. No need to cut off funding, just provide it in a sensible, non-vindictive proportion.

• Options
    In America, you can be anything, as long as it's IT, compsci, or engineering

• Options
    As of May 2015, average apartment rent within 10 miles of Boston, MA is $2489. One bedroom apartments in Boston rent for $2085 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $2597.
    ;_;

• Options

I remember my mom telling me I could be president someday

oh yeah mom well where the fuck is my Super PAC and meticulous PR team huh

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

On the other hand, imagine you're from another country and see a place called "Five Guys." You look inside and see boxes all over the place and, for some reason, peanuts.

Meanwhile that restaurant is endorsed by royalty.

Not to mention that if nobody told me five guys was good, the incessant wallpaper of smug self satisfaction of how good their stuff is is actually kind of a turn off and I would probably just leave.

Their decor is blustery self-promotion, and peanut shells.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

No i agree totally that all those things are needed as a society, but do we need to fund unlimited numbers of that kind of skillset?

I don't really think so.
    I could make the same argument for the majority of STEM degrees.
    The jobs aren't there for anyone.

• Options
    America would lose quite a bit of its creative and cultural output, which we depend on to maintain a cultural lead, in Civ-speak

• Options
    Coincidentally all three professions are on my no date list.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Did nerd ever show up? @spacekungfuman

• Options
    edited August 2015
    As of May 2015, average apartment rent within 10 miles of Boston, MA is $2489. One bedroom apartments in Boston rent for $2085 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $2597.
    ;_;

I didn't use a real average for NYC because there is a certain strata of apartments in this city that ruin the numbers for everyone else.

Like, basically anything along central park east, west, south is going to run a minimum of 10-15,000 a month, and probably closer to 50-60k a month.

edit: I am positive Boston has some "whale" areas that break the average too.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
This discussion has been closed.