Options

Metal Gear: V Has Come To

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    buddies
    can you upgrade Walker Gear's stealth mode speed? I am ALL about this thing

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Guys can we not do the whole THERE IS AN IMPORTANT THING THAT HAPPENS AT THIS PART OF THE GAME REGARDING THIS PERSON THAT YOU WONT LIKE talking around spoilers thing please?

Because, while it's not explicitly a spoiler in itself

it does affect the experience for people and is super annoying

Veldrin on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm glad I unlocked the gun customization. Now I have an underbarrel grenade launcher on my rifle.
    How is the PC version of this, anyway?

It's great. Other than the emblem editor being fucked, it runs flawlessly.

So I've got this weird ass situation where when I am not playing a game my video card will throw up a "nividia driver has stopped responding" where it blacks out the screen. I get little green dots on stuff just before it happens.

This is the complete reverse of the situation where a graphics card is dying, because it does not happen in a game.
    Only outside of games.

I have tried basically everything and its dog to fix this, everything. Reseating it, cleaning dust, driver rollbacks, upgrades, down grades, side grades, tweaking, every. single. thing.

I have hit upon a guaranteed workaround.
    I boot up a copy of an older game (from around 2008) that doesn't take too much to run that isn't tied to steam. It boots up as soon as the computer starts and doesn't affect anything else on my computer since I have 16gigs of ram.
    When I start another game I close that one.
    Never have any issues when I do this. Don't ask me why I don't know, it's freaking weird, and I can't find any solutions on the web cos nobody knows.

Why is this relevant? Well sometimes I forget to turn it off.

MGS5 was giving me some frame rate hitches, but otherwise playing perfectly fine. And the hitches weren't frequent or big, just like dipping to the 20's probably, just on visual, whenever something complicated was happening.
    I have most of the settings turned up Extra High except SSAO and post processing effects, which are set to high.

I was a bit confused, until I realised I hadn't turned off my default game. I turned it off and went straight back to the silky smooth 60fps which is the default play.

I bought my computer two years ago now. gtx760.

This game is really well optimised.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Guys can we not do the whole THERE IS AN IMPORTANT THING THAT HAPPENS AT THIS PART OF THE GAME REGARDING THIS PERSON THAT YOU WONT LIKE talking around spoilers thing please?

well it sounds like this may be a thing that people would be happier knowing than not before hand

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

I perfectly understand what you are saying, and I thought really hard about a different way to introduce it, but it is something that is really important.
    I basically risked that the annoyance for knowing there is something important to be less than the annoyance at not knowing. I honestly feel that this is the case here.
    If you still think this is inappropriate I will delete all references outside spoilers immediately.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm glad I unlocked the gun customization. Now I have an underbarrel grenade launcher on my rifle.
    How is the PC version of this, anyway?

It's great. Other than the emblem editor being fucked, it runs flawlessly.

That awesome. Cos the GMG voucher totally works for TPP and it's really really tempting right now, hahaha

This is what I did, and yeah the game runs at v high textures/high everything on my aging computer

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hahaha
    Medical platform
    what

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yes I have made a bad purchasing decision

Blaming it on the 100 dollar check I found uncashed from my birthday

My birthday from last year

• Options
    bad decision? Or best decision?

Steam ID
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So I have a couple of quick questions about Mission 11:
    1.I did the Quiet fight just using my crappy non-lethal tranq gun, but can you still bring Quiet back alive even if you use lethal weapons?
    2. If the answer to the above question is 'yes', is the sniper rifle design I got a reward for defeating Quiet using non-lethal weapons?
    3. Is killing vs not-killing Quiet a real choice? (Without spoiling anything, just 'Yes' or 'No.')

Anyway, the cutscene right after the mission made me feel pretty good about not killing Quiet. She's pretty cool. Terrible fashion sense though. Gotta get her a proper uniform. Also as far as Boss fights go I liked it but I do think The End was a better execution of the same concept. Also killing her with just the Tranq pistol is a pain. (CQC didn't seem to work even when I snuck up right behind her.)

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    no it's pretty bad, all things in my life currently considered

but it also gives me something else to do on my vacation next week to help take my mind of other things so it can actually be a vacation

• Options
    I don't know if you guys have picked this up already naturally, but I like to explicitly bring these kinds of things to peoples attention anyway just in case.

So when you dive and want to dive again, all you have to do is tap the stance button once then start hammering dive and you will raise up a tiny bit then dive again. You can buffer this, so you can start tapping the stance button during the dive then start tapping the dive button during the brief stand up. If you do it fast enough you don't raise all the way to crouch walk height, you only get about a 1/3 of the way up before he dives again. The dives come out really quickly in succession with practice.
    You can use this to do a sort of weird low level frog hop that is super evasive, travels pretty far at decent speed and keeps you really low to the ground the whole time. It has gotten me out of a lot of shit. A lot of shit.
    I also use it a lot to quickly snap over to the other side of a piece of cover, since it all happens low enough you wont get seen or shot even behind waist high cover.
    I had this one point where I was completely trapped behind sandbags and being V pincered (I was on the bottom of the V) and was using this to frog dive from one side of the low sandbags to another to take the top points of the V apart, without getting totally shot up as I would have if I tried to crouch walk or sprint.

It's not as stealthy as crawling of course, but its not going to get an instant alert unless you are really close to them. At close to medium distance they'll just go "hmm?" and torch/crane to look. At the same distance going to a full crouch walk before diving will often make them do a double take and call in people to check out that location, or walk over to me. At longer range, where crouch walking would make them go "hmm?" but not get an instant alert, you wont get seen, which is super fucking useful for getting over that tiny rock or ledge or sandbag you can't crawl over, without raising to a crouch walk and drawing attention. You can just dive straight over it without anyone batting an eye.
    If I've got people coming over to me or I'm in a position where I need to get over behind that piece of cover right the hell now but its a little too far to sprint and dive, I'll dive, then do this to dive again. Then start crawling away behind the cover. Saved my bacon so much.

Mission 11 spoilers
    I had no sniper at all for quiet, that mission took me by surprise. I used this technique behind low cover + timed sprints to high cover to get all the way up to her, then when she moved back to where I started I just sprinted straight out of the mission. She only shot me once at the start when I didn't know what was going on.
    I'll come back for her now that I've got a tranq rifle.

It also looks hilarious, as if BB's doing the butterfly stroke on land. Hup yah hup yah.

Episode 11
    you can actually beat her without any guns at all

if you use your binoculars to place a marker right on top of her, you can call in a supply box. it'll bonk her on the head and do 50% damage to her. Wait for her to run around a bit, do it again, and badda bing badda boom
    Re: my previous post this is amazing

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man Episode 11 was amazing.
    I didn't even have sniper rifle, just my tranq gun, which made that fight super intense. I got lucky with a couple sandstorms which let me creep up on her, too.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

I perfectly understand what you are saying, and I thought really hard about a different way to introduce it, but it is something that is really important.
    I basically risked that the annoyance for knowing there is something important to be less than the annoyance at not knowing. I honestly feel that this is the case here.
    If you still think this is inappropriate I will delete all references outside spoilers immediately.

I mean, if it's a technical issue, then I can totally understand letting people know.

But if it's story/character related and important, then some people still prefer to experience the ups and downs of the game organically, rather than knowing that A Bad Thing happens around a certain point.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I didn't get in on this while it was being discussed, but I thought episode 12 was pretty easy
    The only part I had any trouble with was the part with Sah...Sahala....Sahalamandthropus? Sal, just Sal and that was mostly because I thought they didn't explain what the hell you were supposed to do very well

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Man Episode 11 was amazing.
    I didn't even have sniper rifle, just my tranq gun, which made that fight super intense. I got lucky with a couple sandstorms which let me creep up on her, too.

This is how I did it. So fun.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Seriously this game is the best and is also messing up my sleep schedule.

Also, one other thing about Mission 11: DD is pretty useful if you don't cheese it out.

• Options
    edited September 2015

I mean, if it's a technical issue, then I can totally understand letting people know.

But if it's story/character related and important, then some people still prefer to experience the ups and downs of the game organically, rather than knowing that A Bad Thing happens around a certain point.

It's a permanent but purposefully hidden from the player game mechanic issue, tied up into a plot point. It's really hard to define in terms of "obviously should not be spoiled" versus "should be spoiled".

I'm honestly pretty pissed that this is even a problem. I am a stickler for people not spoiling stuff but...man...I'm really glad I found out before hand or I would have really raged.
    I could have said nothing but...then I would have known that people might have wanted to know and when they were pissed later I would have said nothing, and I'd feel so bad. I don't know what I should do about something like this and that's the truth.
    So I thought it'd be better to take the risk of being the bad guy to help those who would rather have known.
    I don't really think there's a correct choice for this one.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

Also, one other thing about Mission 11: DD is pretty useful if you don't cheese it out.

DD was my super wolf-bro in Mission 11. He was on-point at all times. Wish there was a "Give DD a steak for his next dinner" prompt, because he earned it.

Post Mission 11 spoilers
    Also I may have squeeed a little seeing my wolf-bro sitting in the copilot chair of the helicopter while me and my newfound sniper-bro took care of goddamn bidness.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

I don't even have DD yet! He's still a puppy for me.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    When he shakes himself I squee every time.
    He's so goddam fuzzular.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Just got the most important upgrade: maximum fultons

Steam ID
  • Options
    I have actually been finding it hard to get to sleep because even when I quit playing Metal Gear the only thing my brain can do is keep thinking about Metal Gear

• Options
    That happens to me anytime I get really into a game. It drives me completely batty.

• Options
    I'm like 23 hours in

If this was any other MGS game I would have finished it by now and be halfway through New Game Plus

Not here

18% is what that gets me here

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Mission 11
    Some of you people seriously used the tranq pistol to take out Quiet? I shot her with it once and saw how little damage it did and decided to try CQC after that, which took off way more health in one go.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Bears: pretty bad at climbing rock faces
    zjns1qkxepd9.png

bear.png 130.1K
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I don't think I'll ever get tired of the flight back to Mother Base
    This last time I came in at night but there was still kind of a glow on the horizon and all the lights were on and gosh it just looked so cool

Also I took a ride out from command to one of the other platforms and the chopper actually goes below the strut at one point and kicks up spray from the sea and I thought it was just the best damn thing

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't think I'll ever get tired of the flight back to Mother Base
    This last time I came in at night but there was still kind of a glow on the horizon and all the lights were on and gosh it just looked so cool

Also I took a ride out from command to one of the other platforms and the chopper actually goes below the strut at one point and kicks up spray from the sea and I thought it was just the best damn thing

I recommend taking the drive between platforms and spinning the camera around so it's parallel with the car from the side, looking at the ocean

it's p. cool

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    You can summon D-horse while sprinting and you can just mount it when it runs past you
    I have been doing it wrong all this while

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    You can summon D-horse while sprinting and you can just mount it when it runs past you
    I have been doing it wrong all this while

This is the only way I get on the horse

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Mission 8
    I uh

I stole an armored rocket truck and blew up the Russian colonel with it

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    So why can't I form my own units for combat deployments and why does it never use my top ranked people for missions?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I feel bad for D-Horse now

(episode 12)
    Cause it sure seems like Walker Gear just does what he does but like, waaaaaaaay better, with rockets

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    What do I need to do to actually get Quiet as a Buddy?

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    haha, welp (second area open spoilers, i have no idea??)
    i sure wasn't expecting soldiers or skulls or something with stealth camo on a side op

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Boss fight strats for mission 11:
    Pop out of cover, scope target. Mark.
    Pop back into cover. Call supply drop on target.
    Watch half of their stamina drop.
    They run off. Repeat tactic.

Beat a boss for 10,000 gmp and no real risk to my personal safety

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Renzo wrote: »

I'm assuming you don't care about mild mission related spoilers, so this will contain a few.
    Mission 11. Beat her in it. You do not need to worry about lethal weapon usage, the cutscene where you get to choose for her to live or die is completely unaffected by how you take her out. Choose to keep her alive, naturally.
    Make sure to visit her in MB where she is being kept just like you visit Ddog.
    Then after a while she will become available just like Ddog.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Holy shit, mission 18 was a clusterfuck of a mission,
    and an incredibly messy extraction full of really intense running gunfight, where I relied on my helicopter to kill just about everyone.

Also, ooft. Miller nearly had me going there for a second. I mean, he seems like the sort of person who would kill a bunch of kids for money, but christ.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

I'm assuming you don't care about mild mission related spoilers, so this will contain a few.
    Mission 11. Beat her in it. You do not need to worry about lethal weapon usage, the cutscene where you get to choose for her to live or die is completely unaffected by how you take her out. Choose to keep her alive, naturally.
    Make sure to visit her in MB where she is being kept just like you visit Ddog.
    Then after a while she will become available just like Ddog.
    Huh, OK, I guess I just need to wait more. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.