Options

[steam] where overly specific genres come to life.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    And Dead Island Epidemic just got announced to be shutting down, with various items and characters on sale at a discount until its imminent closure.

Yeah.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

One of my long running impossible dreams just came true!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/366220

Wurm Offline!

And of course it comes out a month before I can get new games on Steam.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Paging @thorgot

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    And Dead Island Epidemic just got announced to be shutting down, with various items and characters on sale at a discount until its imminent closure.

Yeah.

Aw, that's too bad. I never got a chance to play it much. My brother definitely got into it for a while, though. Looks like he hasn't played it in over a year, but he put 41 hours into the game. I think all I did was play the tutorial. I don't think I was in the mood to try another MOBA at the time.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Is Dead Island Epidemic the one with MAHOGONY SLAMSTACKS?

paging @Khildith, @CorriganX

(That game sucked)

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    To celebrate me getting a promotion to a new job, I think it's only appropriate to do a giveaway of a game that exemplifies changing jobs. Two copies in fact!

signature.png

Open to the PA G&T Adventure Team. Winners must be active in the Steam thread, otherwise I'm going to request a reroll. Ends Friday 9/18.

Reposting for the morning crowd.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think the Slamstack is on the Denny's menu.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    5l8ey78h09xs.png

Well, shit. That wasn't supposed to happen.

Thanks @Antoshka you monster.

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I think the Slamstack is on the Denny's menu.

Some people tried to backdoor me into MOBAs or whatever by getting me to play Dead Island Epidemic with them, and one of the characters is a lumberjack who has a move called "Mahogany Slam" where he smashes the ground with a giant log. The first time I saw it I immediately changed my Steam name to MAHOGONY SLAMSTACKS and used the move as often as possible to irritate the terrible people who got me to play such a terrible game.

The only other time I remember changing my name for a game on a regular basis was when I played CS:GO, where it was JAMES JOYCE'S LOVELETTERS.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    First off, I'm excited to say that I have tomorrow off and it's officially art day where I work on the Summer Dale painting.

Second, has anyone seen anything on a release of Disney Infinity 3.0 for the PC? I have the Wii U version and the frame rate is really inconsistent. I'd like to try it on another platform but buying a used 360/PS3 just for the game feels pretty stupid and a PS4/One isn't happening anytime soon.

• Options
    First off, I'm excited to say that I have tomorrow off and it's officially art day where I work on the Summer Dale painting.

Second, has anyone seen anything on a release of Disney Infinity 3.0 for the PC? I have the Wii U version and the frame rate is really inconsistent. I'd like to try it on another platform but buying a used 360/PS3 just for the game feels pretty stupid and a PS4/One isn't happening anytime soon.

I'm acquaintances with some dude who worked on the game and he gave me the impression the pc version was out already, or at least coming soon.

There's no pc portal, though. You use codes that come with the toys, I think

steam_sig.png

• Options

I'm acquaintances with some dude who worked on the game and he gave me the impression the pc version was out already, or at least coming soon.

There's no pc portal, though. You use codes that come with the toys, I think

Just 2.0 shows up when I search - and yeah, I have a few codes I figured I'd try to see if it at least runs better than the Wii U one.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

disney infinity has always seemed to have inconsistent framerates across platforms. I have the wiiu version and my friend has the xbox and we both complain about the same things :pop:

• Options
    That's good to know actually - I just assumed the Wii U port was slightly half assed.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Autumn means sportsball seasons are starting. In Canada, this period of time is known as "almost hockey."
    0nuXQ41.jpg

I'm so happy that I declare a contest.

PM me the final score of the Packers-Seahawks game next week. You have to get the winning team correct, otherwise the closest score wins. The prize is your choice of Ori and the Blind Forest, This War of Mine, or Darkest Dungeon. Contest is open to any regular Steam threadian and closes at kickoff of the game. Yes, you can transfer the prize or enter just for bragging rights.

If you know nothing of gridiron football, just Google 'NFL scores 201X' and you'll get an idea of likely scores. Apparently Vegas has the Packers as 3 point favourites. Your odds are quite good at this point if you submit an entry.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Okay, I double checked. PC version is apparently coming.

And now I'm trolling him about Amiibos.

steam_sig.png

• Options

paging "Khildith", "CorriganX"

(That game sucked)

It's made of MAHOGANY!

...Mahogany...

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Man, I still haven't opened the 2.0 version I bought for my nephew months ago.

Well, three nights off after tonight so a good time to start.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Two steam games you can play through in under an hour each:

Voices From The Sea:
    A very short (and free!) visual novel with a good amount of feels in it. BE lonesome misunderstood teenage boy. BEFRIEND mysterious and possibly supernatural girl. LEARN important lessons.

Proteus:
    Walk around a low-poly procedural-generated landscape while listening to soft and beautiful music that adapts to your surroundings. See the same world through all four seasons, then experience a very bizarre ending. If Dear Esther is just Too Damn Much Game for you, this is less game and more art.

Dear Esther wasn't a game. It was someones burning abstract poem obsession sprinkled around a random island.

And it was damned beautifully done too!

Agreed. Dear Esther is a screenshot-to-wallpaper tool, especially once you get off the island's surface.

Having had a night to think on Proteus, it kind of reminds me of why I play bullet-hell shooters, and I realize that is a very odd comparison but I'm going to stick with it. There's a visual-and-aural overload component to it that puts you into a light trance state if you let it. I could totally see it being an "I just want to chill out for an hour or so" experience.

• Options

Voices From The Sea:
    A very short (and free!) visual novel with a good amount of feels in it. BE lonesome misunderstood teenage boy. BEFRIEND mysterious and possibly supernatural girl. LEARN important lessons.

Proteus:
    Walk around a low-poly procedural-generated landscape while listening to soft and beautiful music that adapts to your surroundings. See the same world through all four seasons, then experience a very bizarre ending. If Dear Esther is just Too Damn Much Game for you, this is less game and more art.

Dear Esther wasn't a game. It was someones burning abstract poem obsession sprinkled around a random island.

Agreed. Dear Esther is a screenshot-to-wallpaper tool, especially once you get off the island's surface.

Having had a night to think on Proteus, it kind of reminds me of why I play bullet-hell shooters, and I realize that is a very odd comparison but I'm going to stick with it. There's a visual-and-aural overload component to it that puts you into a light trance state if you let it. I could totally see it being an "I just want to chill out for an hour or so" experience.

One time I went home for the holidays and just wanted to chill with a game. I couldn't get Proteus to run on the family computer, so I chilled in the dark to the only thing I could get to run: the FTL title screen

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    One Christmas I was back home and fiddling around with my old PC. Managed to get Steam installed and was even able to play Dungeons of Dredmor on my 550Mhz machine, which had a whopping 4MB graphics :)

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular

Yeah.

Apparently the motto of the MOBA genre is "Unless you are LoL, DOTA or Smite GTFO!"

RIP Infinite Crisis and Dead Island Epidemic even though you were terrible.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options

Yeah.

Apparently the motto of the MOBA genre is "Unless you are LoL, DOTA or Smite GTFO!"

Heroes of the Storm I think would like a word with you. You can find it sitting on its golden throne surrounded by stacks upon stacks of money.

• Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    One Christmas I was back home and fiddling around with my old PC. Managed to get Steam installed and was even able to play Dungeons of Dredmor on my 550Mhz machine, which had a whopping 4MB graphics :)

Running (or attempting to run) Steam on underpowered machines is always a riot

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

Yeah.

You forgot Heroes of the Storm. :wink: (fake edit: beat'd)

Really this is the issue is with any multiplayer game heavily dependent on quick and/or good matchmaking. The market gets oversaturated and, since there aren't infinite players, the culling begins.

RIP SMNC. But that one was partly self-inflicted.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Yeah.

Heroes of the Storm I think would like a word with you. You can find it sitting on its golden throne surrounded by stacks upon stacks of money.

The problem with Infinite Crisis was that it pretty much was just LoL with a DC comics skin. Just having all your characters and items named for comic book stuff isn't going to convince anyone to switch over from LoL and the LoL mechanics meaning you can equip Batman with the gun used to kill his parents for the damage buff isn't going to convince the dedicated comic fans.

Each of the 4 currently significant ones is notably different from the others. Even LoL and Dota2 have enough meaningful mechanical differences to play distinctly to say nothing of the customizations that go beyond just skins for DotA2. This isn't a genre where clones survive if for no other reason than needing 10 people for a non-AI game so a lack of a good mechanical hook to draw people in isn't going to give you the critical mass of players needed. LoL kind of sets the standard, DotA2 has the fine technical details for grognards, Smite changes the perspective, plays closer to an action game and is the first to hit consoles, Heroes of the Storm streamlines mechanics and then adds distinct maps with their own mechanics. Any serious contender has to throw something new in as well.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular

Yeah.

HotS isn't doing all that well if stream viewership is anything to go by.
    We'll see where it's at in a year or two.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Voices From The Sea:

Proteus:

One time I went home for the holidays and just wanted to chill with a game. I couldn't get Proteus to run on the family computer, so I chilled in the dark to the only thing I could get to run: the FTL title screen

Don't feel bad, Proteus has terrible optimization.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

Yeah.

It's making enough money to be profitable even this early on though which is pretty important for longevity. It's still technically pretty new too, which I sometimes forget since I played through alpha and beta for about a year before the actual release.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Someone find out if this works:

Metro 2033:
    Loading...?

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Ok, ok I get it. It forgot HoTS. In all fairness I forgot I even had it installed. It's been a while since I played it. I didn't like some of the Nova changes and haven't gotten back to it.

Also, surprisingly, the CoD games are on a decent sale this weekend. How was Blops 2? I didn't like the first Blops (don't remember exactly why) and totally skipped the second on. The under 20 price tag is tempting.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Ok, ok I get it. It forgot HoTS. In all fairness I forgot I even had it installed. It's been a while since I played it. I didn't like some of the Nova changes and haven't gotten back to it.

Also, surprisingly, the CoD games are on a decent sale this weekend. How was Blops 2? I didn't like the first Blops (don't remember exactly why) and totally skipped the second on. The under 20 price tag is tempting.

Blops2 tried some surprisingly different stuff in the campaign. It has multiple decision paths that you can take and wind up with different endings. It also has side missions that have you both commanding troops as an omniscient eye-in-the-sky sort of thing, while also being able to zoom in to the battle and take command of units directly.

The future-war stuff is near-future enough not to be over-the-top crazypants like Advanced Warfare while still being futuristic enough to be pretty neat.

Really, it's the design was designed to point a middle finger in the general direction of people who say that CoD doesn't take any risks or make any changes from year to year.

I don't do multiplayer, so I can't comment there, but it's probably my second favorite single player campaign. It'd take a lot to top MW1.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Grats @Jaunty !
    signature.png
    These are ongoing!
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

Zavian on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

(That game sucked)

It's made of MAHOGANY!

...Mahogany...

Better to go the other direction...

MahAGONY SLAMSTACKS

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

(That game sucked)

It's made of MAHOGANY!

...Mahogany...

Better to go the other direction...

MahAGONY SLAMSTACKS

I don't think King Yemma want to use his mahogany desk for slamming people.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    New Weekly Bundle:
    Pay at least $1 for:
    • YoYo RPG
    • Foliage Pack and Items Pack
    • Another Perspective Another Perspective
    • WizardWizard + Source Code and Documentation
    • Spoiler Alert
    • Death Ray Manta
    Pay at least $6 for:
    • GameMaker: Studio Pro
    • Stealth Bastard Deluxe
    • Savant - Ascent
    • Another Perspective Source Code
    • Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in The Hotel Lisbon
    • Death Ray Manta Source Code
    • 10 Second Ninja
    • Spoiler Alert Source Code
    • Super Crate Box + Super Crate Box Source Code Super Crate Box
    Pay at least $12 for:
    • GM:S Android Export Module
    • Stealth Bastard Deluxe Source Code
    • Savant - Ascent Source Code
    • Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in The Hotel Lisbon Source Code
    • 10 Second Ninja Source Code
    • Wasteland Kings + Wasteland Kings (Source)

FREE Games! (non Steam)
    Get L'Abbaye des Morts and Spelunky Classic (plus the source code to both games) for FREE! (just enter your email in the box)

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Blops2 tried some surprisingly different stuff in the campaign. It has multiple decision paths that you can take and wind up with different endings. It also has side missions that have you both commanding troops as an omniscient eye-in-the-sky sort of thing, while also being able to zoom in to the battle and take command of units directly.

The future-war stuff is near-future enough not to be over-the-top crazypants like Advanced Warfare while still being futuristic enough to be pretty neat.

Really, it's the design was designed to point a middle finger in the general direction of people who say that CoD doesn't take any risks or make any changes from year to year.

I don't do multiplayer, so I can't comment there, but it's probably my second favorite single player campaign. It'd take a lot to top MW1.

I enjoy their commercials a great deal.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

Yeah.

They do have Hearthstone though, which is consistently only behind League and CSGO on Twitch. That seems strange to me, but hey, people like what they like I ain't gonna judge.

The best they can hope for really is that is just remains a modest, but steady, success, because they got into the game too late and aren't going to hang with League's juggernaut or Dota's insane multi-million dollar tournament shenanigans.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    wow, Steam really will allow any old crap these days

http://store.steampowered.com/app/390220/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    wow, Steam really will allow any old crap these days

http://store.steampowered.com/app/390220/

flush gordon

This discussion has been closed.