Options

Dumb Things You've Done Recently

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Milk doesn't actually help your calcium it turns out.

Fucking what

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    latest?cb=20150326001930

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Milk doesn't actually help your calcium it turns out.

Fucking what

Well ok it's got calcium and whatnot

But it doesn't make your bones any stronger.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    A Charlie Horse... I get these from time to time, including just a couple of days ago! I didn't know there was a name for it!

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/news/20150929/added-calcium-may-not-help-older-bones-studies

This went round 2 days ago:
    Basically it seems that many countries reccommended calcium intake is too high, there is little evidence that drinking milk or taking supplements really helps.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    That study is strictly about extra calcium intake for seniors, above the recommended amount, not the usual normal recommended amount. Most people do not get enough calcium. Low calcium intake still causes weak bones.

Eat sardines people.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I sometimes get a cramp/Charlie horse type thing in my back if I breath in funny. It's hard to describe.

Also can't breath laying on my back... :(

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Da fuck is a charlie horse? You mean cramp?

• Options
    Well yes but I tend to think of them as triggered by nothing in particular.

So like random spontaneous cramps.

As opposed to cramps triggered by excessive working out our not stretching properly.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Last night, I came home from work and reclined in an office chair in my bedroom.
    I then kicked my legs up on my bed, and I rested in this position for a bit of time. (I'm pretty dumb, don't do this)

As I got out of the chair to go prepare some food. I noticed my left leg had a charlie horse.
    And as I clutched my knee and shouted obscenities, I experienced a charlie horse in my right leg, and collapsed off the chair onto the floor.

Then I just tried to not move for about 15 minutes waiting for things to be less painfull, then awkwardly pulled myself up into a standing position.
    Walked to the closed bedroom door and felt extremely dizzy in this standing position.
    Losing motor control & falling is an interesting experience. There is a blur that envelops the vision outside in, your arms and legs turn to vapor, though sometimes you can will yourself to grip and cling onto something despite this.

Unfortunately, I had opened the door in this dizzyness and sorta fell facefirst into the wood, then across the doornob, and finally, onto the hallway hardwood.

Laid on the floor a bit longer that time, and I decided to make sure I wasn't diabetic. I have meters for when my mother visits.
    My sugar and blood pressure was aces, so it was just matter of extremely bad posture and standing up too quickly.

Wound up with stiff legs, and a scraped bumpy head, but I'm fine all the same.

I get this happen to me ALL the time. At least once every few months, if not more often, and it's been happening for years. So I'm pretty used to the sensation. Luckily being so used to it happening means that as soon as I get that vision darkening, heady fuzzy feeling I immediately drop to one knee and put both hands on the floor to brace myself. That way I don't end up falling face first into anything.

It usually can be prevented or at least mitigated by keeping yourself properly hydrated. Though the one time it happened to me in public, at my dentists office, I learned that an ammonia tablet will cause it to stop IMMEDIATELY.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Da fuck is a charlie horse?
    UEshsJQ.jpg

Bedlam on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    UEshsJQ.jpg
    You stole the show, Bedlam.

You stole the show.

• Options
    Um yeah. the cramping, along with the blurred/darkening vision, sounds a lot like what happens when they take too much fluid off me at the dialysis clinic. basically a sudden severe drop in blood pressure caused by dehydration. Oh and also your heart rate will increase and it'll be tough to catch a breath because your O2 sats go to shit.

So stay hydrated.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Da fuck is a charlie horse? You mean cramp?
    Charley horse is a popular colloquial term in Canada and the United States for painful spasms or cramps in the leg muscles, typically lasting anywhere from a few seconds to about a day.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have to wonder how on earth that term came about.

Did someone called charlie get cramp while riding a horse?

• Options
    Some Googling suggests it may have to do with baseball.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    It appears to have emerged as a baseball term but there are several conflicting stories regarding the exact origin. The most plausible I've read is there was a pitcher named Charlie Radboune whose nickname was "old hoss" and one day he got a cramp and it grew out of that.

Less plausible but more colorful is the story that the Chicago grounds crew used a lame horse named Charlie, and injured players began to be called Charley Horses.

A lot of USA idioms come from baseball.

knitdan on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Where I grew up in Cali a charlie horse was someone kneeing you in the thigh.

• Options
    Yeah I always knew it as a painful cramp caused by the muscle being struck either by accident or on purpose.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I noticed my left leg had a charlie horse.

What's the opposite of hyperbole? Understatement doesn't feel like a strong enough word for what this is.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Dumb things I did up until about 3 years ago: Used to think Charlie Horse meant morning wood.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Hey I just had an example fall into my lap. Colleague's son's birthday is coming up, his son wanted a Kinect for his Xbox One. I'd recently bought a second-hand one for £35 online, showed him where I got it, and said I'd order it for him and he could just give me the money. Ordered it to my work address, he gave me the money, everything went through fine. A week later it still hasn't arrived, so I email them to see what's up, they ask what address it was sent to. I check the address, and see it's all fine apart from one missing digit in the postcode.
    Now I would expect this to not cause a problem as everything else was correct, but it probably means I'm out £35 for the missing Kinect I'll have to reorder and someone out there's enjoying their free Xbox accessory.

edit: bonus irony - entering addresses correctly is about 90% of my actual job. It's what I do all day.

bonus good news: I've heard from the site I ordered from, and they include a return address, and would expect it back by the middle of next week. So that's maybe a relief.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    One time during high school, I was riding my bike home from school. I was with a friend, and we were coming up to the intersection where we had to split up. The light on my side of the street was green, so I turned to say goodbye and kept pedaling. I turned back, partway through the intersection, to see a bunch of cars heading right me, and one clipped my back tire and sent me sprawling,

To this day I still have no idea how it happened. I am 100% positive I had the green light to go, and there were no cars going through the intersection. But I somehow ended up crossing the street right in the middle of traffic. No idea.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    One time during high school, I was riding my bike home from school. I was with a friend, and we were coming up to the intersection where we had to split up. The light on my side of the street was green, so I turned to say goodbye and kept pedaling. I turned back, partway through the intersection, to see a bunch of cars heading right me, and one clipped my back tire and sent me sprawling,

To this day I still have no idea how it happened. I am 100% positive I had the green light to go, and there were no cars going through the intersection. But I somehow ended up crossing the street right in the middle of traffic. No idea.

When you turned to your friend you accidentally turned the bike the same direction?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

When you turned to your friend you accidentally turned the bike the same direction?

Nope, I was still on the road to home.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

What's the opposite of hyperbole? Understatement doesn't feel like a strong enough word for what this is.

Hypobole.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    hi-poh-bowl

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    hi-poh-bowl

hhh.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Bathos.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    hi-poh-bowl

hhh.jpg

Wow they made a board game out of my family's Thanksgiving? They could have at least asked permission...

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Back in the Windows 95 times I tried to remove Internet Explorer, because I was a cool kid using Netscape Navigator.

After the hard drive was wiped and Windows re-installed, I was still a cool kid using Netscape but IE remained on the system.

When I was in 7th grade, my best friend from elementary school moved to New Zealand for a couple years because his dad got a gig with an orchestra there. While they were gone, we got their minivan, and I got his computer.

This was a big deal for me, because his computer not only had a CD-ROM drive, but also an actual sound card with speakers and a joystick.
    During the time I had it, I decided I'd upgrade the version of DOS on our old computer, since his was newer.
    I attempted to do this by copying config.sys, command.com, autoexec.bat from his to ours, because I knew those were Important System Files.

Our computer stopped booting.

Fortunately, I still had the boot disc the guy who installed TIE Fighter on our computer made that enabled it to play, so it just booted off of that for next 3 or 4 years until we gave it away.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I once spent like three hours trying to figure out why a new pc wasnt starting.

I kept taking things out and back in...

Then I plugged in the four pin connector.

*raises hand* ooh, ooooh! Me me me! I got one!

Not recent, but I was reformatting (I was in high school and didn't have any of that fancy "image" software) a Win98 box to give to my sister. Had everything set, powered it up.

No OS found.

Huh....that's weird, it should be good to go. I look in the case and ooooh, hey I forgot to plug the power into the harddrive.

Well here let me just go ahead and

*SPARKS*

...oops.
    turns out all I did was fry the power supply. Western Digital harddrive was fine, Asus motherboard was fine. Both got a customer for life out of me that day.

Frankly, the company that made your power supply probably should have too, since it did its job of sacrificing itself to save the other components.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Back in the Windows 95 times I tried to remove Internet Explorer, because I was a cool kid using Netscape Navigator.

After the hard drive was wiped and Windows re-installed, I was still a cool kid using Netscape but IE remained on the system.

When I was in 7th grade, my best friend from elementary school moved to New Zealand for a couple years because his dad got a gig with an orchestra there. While they were gone, we got their minivan, and I got his computer.

This was a big deal for me, because his computer not only had a CD-ROM drive, but also an actual sound card with speakers and a joystick.
    During the time I had it, I decided I'd upgrade the version of DOS on our old computer, since his was newer.
    I attempted to do this by copying config.sys, command.com, autoexec.bat from his to ours, because I knew those were Important System Files.

Our computer stopped booting.

Fortunately, I still had the boot disc the guy who installed TIE Fighter on our computer made that enabled it to play, so it just booted off of that for next 3 or 4 years until we gave it away.

I remember those old computers and their MASSIVE 256MB hard drives that you'll "never need to replace". Lemmings 2 was a 3 meg game and that was ENORMOUS.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    UEshsJQ.jpg
    Holy shit this post is incredible

This needs to be framed

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I miss Lamb Chops Playalong. That song was never supposed to end, dammit!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    It did though Joel

It did

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Words failed me. No comedic remark. No explanation. No nothing. I mean, how nuts does it sound? "Oh yeah, I was killing time by being really super bad at singing 'Layla'?" Right, that's something people do. Instead I just gave the weakest oh-did-you-hear-that response. I was probably the weird neighbor kid to her. Doesn't matter now, didn't matter then, but I consider myself a better than average singer and that stung a bit.

I was really thinking this story was going to end with you marrying the girl and having Odd Father-in-law

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    we let our cats come and go as they please

when i left the house the other day, i saw one of our cats walking around on the other side of the street

and i called out and waved to him

and then stood there for a second, lowered my arm, jumped in my car and drove away as fast as i could