Options

[steam] manual says to cut the third wire, but only if it's not blue!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Those Fallout 4 specs are about what I'd expected/hoped. Thankfully it looks like my laptop exceeds all the minimums, albeit marginally in the GPU's case (based on how the 6990M does seem to be able to at least match or possibly even outperform a 7870 in the real world if any other games' minimum specs are to be believed). That said, Bethesda being open about how they didn't want to release specs until they knew and tested everything means that it is possible they're not actually exaggerating anything. Still. We shall see.

That 8GB requirement is a good thing, though, IMO. If anyone is going to make good use of that, it's Bethesda. Plus, let's be honest, RAM is pretty cheap at the moment so is worth the upgrade if you meet the other specs. It's interesting that the RAM requirement is no higher for the recommended spec (mentioning no names, Battlefront). Given that that significantly exceeds the RAM availability in the X1/PS4, both of which sport 8GB but only allow games to access 5.5 to 6GB max, that should give them some good headroom.

Perhaps it's appropriate that I'm at the low-end of the spec, as my Pip-Boy will be powered by my venerable old iPhone 4S. (Bethesda have implied the iPhone 4 as the minimum for the app given what they've said physically fits in the Pip-Boy.)

And aanyway, it's always appropriate for Fallout that any tech should be at least a little bit creaky!

• Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    uif3594rl2wz.png
    Big thanks @Karoz!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    New Weekly Bundle:
    Pay at least $1 for:
    • Silent Storm Gold Edition
    • Chaser
    • Jagged Alliance 1 Gold Edition
    • SuperPower 2
    BTA:
    • Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive
    • Desperados 2: Cooper's Revenge
    • MX vs. ATV Unleashed
    • Black Mirror
    • Black Mirror II
    • Black Mirror III
    • Red Faction Guerrilla Space Asshole Steam Edition
    Pay at least $10 for:
    • The Book of Unwritten Tales 2

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Is it me or is the GPU requirement between Nvidia and AMD out of wack? AMD's is twice as powerfulish.

I finally switched back to nVidia with my last graphics card just because I was tired of things like this and the nonsense with "oh, hey, did we accidentally cripple our game on AMD cards? HOW DOES THAT KEEP HAPPENING, IT IS A MYSTERY".

On principle I'm disgusted with myself.

but off principle: "I want to play games." :razz:

I completely agree with your statement. I really don't like that nvidia seems to be cornering the market on some big-budget titles by virtue of 'proprietary graphics implementations' but I sure as heck am still going to keep using the product that works best and makes the most pretties pictures.

They're not cornering the market. They're perceived to be cornering the market because of bullshit stuff like these supposed system requirements. I don't know if Nvidia pays companies to list shit like this or something, but the cynic in me wants to say there's shenanigans going on. Here we have a case of min-req that lists an Nvidia 550ti or an AMD card a full 5 tiers higher. I guarantee that if the 550 runs the game, so will a much lower tier AMD. But because the BOX SAYS SO, people will assume the AMDs are inferior to equivalent Nvidia cards.

And it just ain't so. Sure, sometimes Nvidia does process X better than AMD and sometimes AMD does process Z better than Nvidia, and sometimes one has a momentary tech advantage of one sort or another, but in general, at every tier of performance there's an entry from either team, and at that tier they tend to be very similar in raw performance.

Bottom line: it irritates the hell out of me when requirements like these are posted and they're blatantly bullshit but make one or the other team (and it does go both ways) look inferior. post honest, real requirements, not marketing bullshit!

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Is it me or is the GPU requirement between Nvidia and AMD out of wack? AMD's is twice as powerfulish.

I finally switched back to nVidia with my last graphics card just because I was tired of things like this and the nonsense with "oh, hey, did we accidentally cripple our game on AMD cards? HOW DOES THAT KEEP HAPPENING, IT IS A MYSTERY".

On principle I'm disgusted with myself.

but off principle: "I want to play games." :razz:

I completely agree with your statement. I really don't like that nvidia seems to be cornering the market on some big-budget titles by virtue of 'proprietary graphics implementations' but I sure as heck am still going to keep using the product that works best and makes the most pretties pictures.

They're not cornering the market. They're perceived to be cornering the market because of bullshit stuff like these supposed system requirements. I don't know if Nvidia pays companies to list shit like this or something, but the cynic in me wants to say there's shenanigans going on. Here we have a case of min-req that lists an Nvidia 550ti or an AMD card a full 5 tiers higher. I guarantee that if the 550 runs the game, so will a much lower tier AMD. But because the BOX SAYS SO, people will assume the AMDs are inferior to equivalent Nvidia cards.

And it just ain't so. Sure, sometimes Nvidia does process X better than AMD and sometimes AMD does process Z better than Nvidia, and sometimes one has a momentary tech advantage of one sort or another, but in general, at every tier of performance there's an entry from either team, and at that tier they tend to be very similar in raw performance.

Bottom line: it irritates the hell out of me when requirements like these are posted and they're blatantly bullshit but make one or the other team (and it does go both ways) look inferior. post honest, real requirements, not marketing bullshit!

ivjLIhJ.gif

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Bullshit shenanigans is pretty much the history of the GPU industries business practices. Much like others here, I just had to shrug my shoulders and start buying what works with least hassle for me.

Drake on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Ooookay this sounds like it could be fun while drinking with friends:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/341800/

Only one person needs to own the game. Everyone else can read the manual at:
    http://www.bombmanual.com/
    and tells the other person what to do, without seeing their screen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Bullshit shenanigans defines tech industry in general.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »

Oh yes. That looks like a fun time. For some reason, I'm reminded of Artemis.

And for much the same reasons; Yes, I'd agree drinking could make the experience extra hilarious.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I checked the bombmanual.com site. Holy shitfuck, I forsee a lot of explosions. This shit is crazy complicated haha.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I checked the bombmanual.com site. Holy shitfuck, I forsee a lot of explosions. This shit is crazy complicated haha.

Hello!

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    And it looks like that is version 1 of the bomb manual as well. They could easily mix things up with other versions, change things enough so that people won't get used to it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I would swear visiting that website gets you put on a list somewhere.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »

Hello!

Deezy hit me with a copy, Im going to need you to get on skype and talk me through it Isy. You probably dont even need the manual, just use your racial bonuses.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options

Hello!

Deezy hit me with a copy, Im going to need you to get on skype and talk me through it Isy. You probably dont even need the manual, just use your racial bonuses.

My method of defusing bombs is incredibly q quick. Some might say... explosively fast.

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    New Weekly Bundle:

Pay at least $10 for:
    Oooooo. That's the cheapest this game has been yet. Its usual steam price is $35. I've heard really good things about it, too. So, fellow adventure game fans that liked the first one, this is a really good deal! <3

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Hello!

My method of defusing bombs is incredibly q quick. Some might say... explosively fast.

It makes sense. Explosives are weak to ... other explosions.

Like the Dragon type in Pokemon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    At home with a cold I did wail
    For at choosing a game I did fail
    I asked in the chat
    What to do about that
    And Nik gifted to me Undertale!

Thanks to @Kanden for Undertale!

i97q6a8p3z9r.png

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options

Hello!

Technically this is how explosives are disposed of, by blowing them up with other explosives.

• Options
    I just spent 20 minutes dismantling my clock because I thought it was a bomb. Im ready to play this game now.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Just got back from my interview. Hard to say how it went; I felt I flubbed an answer or two, but did OK otherwise. It's only part time, but better than what I have right now, which is nothing. Here's to hoping!

In the meantime, I got home and saw this on my screen:
    1zfdbn4npfo5.jpg
    Nice! Thanks, @Karoz, although I would argue that Danzig is the wolf. He sure likes saying it in this hokey video, at least:

• Options
    Battlefront beta apparently does not want to work on my machine. Hangs on title screen after the first "Press Start" type message and then crashes my graphics driver. That's cool, I wasn't going to pick it up anyway, I was only curious as to how it would run. And if.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

Hello!

Technically this is how explosives are disposed of, by blowing them up with other explosives.

Exactly right. That's why I phrased my comment the way I did. :smile:

And it makes perfect sense, why try to disarm this device that you don't know how it's built (or how well it was built), don't know how it's triggered, or even it's explosive yield if it goes off when you can instead use a smaller controlled explosive charge to blow the internal structure to smithereens.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Hello!

Exactly right. That's why I phrased my comment the way I did. :smile:

And it makes perfect sense, why try to disarm this device that you don't know how it's built (or how well it was built), don't know how it's triggered, or even it's explosive yield if it goes off when you can instead use a smaller controlled explosive charge to blow the internal structure to smithereens.
    Presumably you try to disarm the bomb because you're stuck (I assume the game doesn't let you just walk away, at least) in a room with it and it is actively ticking down. I guess if you were walking around with a full bomb disposal kit maybe.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

i remember reading about that in some release about the occulus. looks awesome and after going through the manual a ton of the stuff looks obtuse enough to be tricky, especially i fyou are dealing with @CorriganX

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Jazz wrote: »
    Battlefront beta apparently does not want to work on my machine. Hangs on title screen after the first "Press Start" type message and then crashes my graphics driver. That's cool, I wasn't going to pick it up anyway, I was only curious as to how it would run. And if.

The Battlefront beta told me that I needed an updated NVidia driver. Looking at the NVidia driver website, apparently the "GeForce Experience" update software stopped downloading any drivers newer than the Windows 10 launch driver. The Battlefront version of the driver was released yesterday.

Frem on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

i remember reading about that in some release about the occulus. looks awesome and after going through the manual a ton of the stuff looks obtuse enough to be tricky, especially i fyou are dealing with @CorriganX

It seemed like the original release was going to be VR-only, so it's really awesome that it's no longer that 'exclusive.'

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I've got tracking info for my Steam Controller, should arrive next Tuesday.

Any requests for things to try out? If there's a lot I'll make a strawpoll and try out the top 5.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    If you want to see the bomb disposal game in action, here's the Game Grumps trying it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DVDXK0shB8

Looks fun!

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    @destroyah87 should check his mail box.

• Options
    Hmm, with Shade's packages, I can sort of guess at where RC and Destroyah are located relative to the origin by what day they arrive.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Any requests for things to try out? If there's a lot I'll make a strawpoll and try out the top 5.

Any of the more recent releases. I just wanna know how it handles button prompts. Severely disappointed with the lack of DS4 support on pc.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    New Weekly Bundle:
    Pay at least $1 for:
    • Silent Storm Gold Edition
    • Chaser
    • Jagged Alliance 1 Gold Edition
    • SuperPower 2
    BTA:
    • Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive
    • Desperados 2: Cooper's Revenge
    • MX vs. ATV Unleashed
    • Black Mirror
    • Black Mirror II
    • Black Mirror III
    • Red Faction Guerrilla Space Asshole Steam Edition
    Pay at least $10 for:

That bundle's completely awesome by the single inclusion of Silent Storm Gold.

What's not to like about a game where bullets can ricochet off surfaces, you can blow up buildings (doors, windows, walls, floors), which open up new routes in a fight (they expect you through the door? make your own!)

Seriously love this game, and if I wasn't playing XCOM right now, I might have to reinstall it again.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Keep talking and nobody explodes is an amazing game. Its super fun, and if you have friends on skype its fucking hilarious. GET IT.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

I would really like to know how it does in the hands of someone who is generally gaming-incompetent.

To that end, I think you should send it to me to test out. I'll send it back. Really.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Try an RTS. That seems to be where it can really differentiate itself from the field.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I would swear visiting that website gets you put on a list somewhere.

Yeah, it doesn't warn you that the URL will change when you click for the PDF link. So glad that is on my work list now.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

An FPS
    A 2D platformer where precise control is required (Meat Boy maybe?)
    A game designed specifically for controllers like Brothers

I use a controller for any game that isn't mouse only as too much keyboarding gives me carpel tunnel. So most curious how it would stack up to the 360 controller which works great IMO.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oh sweet, they made Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes not a VR exclusive game anymore?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

An FPS
    A 2D platformer where precise control is required (Meat Boy maybe?)
    A game designed specifically for controllers like Brothers

I use a controller for any game that isn't mouse only as too much keyboarding gives me carpel tunnel. So most curious how it would stack up to the 360 controller which works great IMO.

I remember the Meat Boy dev trying out the prototype a year ago (the old one before the face buttons + stick) and playing Meat Boy with it and liking it.

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.