Options

[steam] manual says to cut the third wire, but only if it's not blue!

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Looks like this also came out today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJTBlk6Pu14
    Sublevel Zero is a first-person roguelike(-like) six-degree-of-freedom shooter set in a universe where reality is falling apart. Take control of a lone gunship pilot whose mission is to loot and craft ancient technology. Descend into a vast underground facility, fighting through procedurally generated zero gravity environments to recover the technology you and your clan need to survive.

What sells me is it fully supports HOTAS/Pedals and all controls are remappable. Plus it's inexpensive!

I've got some indie gaming to do.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The package from @Shade reached me. I'll take a proper picture tomorrow when I can clear a spot for the stuff on the table. I will say though that the abomination figurine is hanging out with the Inkling amiibos on my desk, like some sort of children's cartoon with the boy, girl, mascot, and cheesy villain.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    Isorn wrote: »
    Thank you so much to CorriganX for the attempted gift of Moon Sliver! <3 I'm sorry to say that I have to decline though. I decided a few days ago that I'm not currently going to be accepting gifts, for reasons. I was going to wait and start at the new year, but decided I'd rather start now. I had put a little note on my profile, but I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, and maybe it wasn't very noticeable. Anyway, I do sincerely appreciate the thought - thanks for thinking of me! <3

Hm. Clearly that means we just have to make up for it once you start accepting gifts again.
    So many keys.

Define "accepting gifts"
    I think it's pretty straightforward? I feel like if I try to specify, people might try to find some loophole. Again, I sincerely appreciate the generosity of people wanting to send things my way, but I'm choosing to opt out for the time being. <3

Karrde1842 wrote: »
    Ok, it looks like 25 friends own Damned. That's enough for us to try to get a little FNG going. If people like it and it goes on sale for Halloween, we can always do a repeat!

Another idea - @HyphyKezzy suggested to me some Left 4 Dead 2 for my month of spooky games, since neither of us has played it. We might be playing that next Thursday, if anyone would like to join in. Or, if people want to use that for FNG next week, that could also be an option.

Whenever ANYONE wants to play L4D2 let me know. I am totally in. There are a bunch of really neat custom campaigns, including one with Disneyland that is set up almost exactly like the park, including the actual audio files from the Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain.

I've never played any L4D2, but playing it in Disneyland sounds fantastic! <3

Edit: Since there's a decent amount of interest in L4D2, we can tentatively plan for that to be next week's FNG, if that sounds good to people. (I don't want to just starting taking over FNG choices, especially since it's been a while since I've showed up for any. But if people want to play these games, I'd be up for it!) We might also be playing some on that Thursday during the stream, but I'll be sure to post about it in the thread ahead of time.

I will do the same - honestly I must because I have not purchased a single thing, heck can't even play things as much currently with the new job (which is good I love it so far!). Declining all gifts through the new year.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I wonder if I still cannot run miner wars?

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Are there any games that come close the the combination of Open World, ARPG, and Third Person Action mechanics that Kingdoms of Amalur has? I'm mainly asking for my brother, who is looking for something new to get addicted to. :wink:

Tell him to get Dragon's Dogma in January. It'll make Amalur look tame.

He might also enjoy Tales of Zestiria this month, though I've heard the "open world" of that is a bit barren.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BhHkvHcUfo

Yeah, this game looks amazing.

More jobs should use this as a teambuilding stuff rather than holding hands and shit. :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Are there any games that come close the the combination of Open World, ARPG, and Third Person Action mechanics that Kingdoms of Amalur has? I'm mainly asking for my brother, who is looking for something new to get addicted to. :wink:

He might also enjoy Tales of Zestiria this month, though I've heard the "open world" of that is a bit barren.

He played Dogma on the PS3, and said the lack of competent fast travel was the glaring flaw in an otherwise great game.

I'll tell him about Zestria.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I've got tracking info for my Steam Controller, should arrive next Tuesday.

Any requests for things to try out? If there's a lot I'll make a strawpoll and try out the top 5.
    An FPS
    A 2D platformer where precise control is required (Meat Boy maybe?)
    A game designed specifically for controllers like Brothers

I use a controller for any game that isn't mouse only as too much keyboarding gives me carpel tunnel. So most curious how it would stack up to the 360 controller which works great IMO.

Ooooooh use it with a 4X. I like playing Endless Legend on the couch but it's a bit of bear with the wireless keyboard.

I've wanted to take one of those for a test drive for a while, hoping it winds up more fun than the 360.

Oh! Try it with Assault Android Cactus!

Speaking of, I'm like 25th on the Boss Rush leaderboard. Not even a big deal guys.

Pff like my first attempt to finish it and even with a D rank I was in the 70s. :razz:

I'm so close to S+ Medulla. I am starting to consistently get to the final stage now--stages 1-3 are a snooze and 4-7 can be finicky and I still mess up here and there. I just need to find that proper balance of staying alive and shooting stuff to keep up that damnable kill chain up.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Any requests for things to try out? If there's a lot I'll make a strawpoll and try out the top 5.
    An FPS

I use a controller for any game that isn't mouse only as too much keyboarding gives me carpel tunnel. So most curious how it would stack up to the 360 controller which works great IMO.

Ooooooh use it with a 4X. I like playing Endless Legend on the couch but it's a bit of bear with the wireless keyboard.

I've wanted to take one of those for a test drive for a while, hoping it winds up more fun than the 360.

Speaking of, I'm like 25th on the Boss Rush leaderboard. Not even a big deal guys.

Pff like my first attempt to finish it and even with a D rank I was in the 70s. :razz:

I'm so close to S+ Medulla. I am starting to consistently get to the final stage now--stages 1-3 are a snooze and 4-7 can be finicky and I still mess up here and there. I just need to find that proper balance of staying alive and shooting stuff to keep up that damnable kill chain up.

Wait, what? The steam controllers are out now? Apparently I wasn't paying attention.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Finished Episode 1 of The Detail, a Finnish-developed noir police story which is largely told through comicbook-style cutscenes. Ostensibly going to have branching paths ala Telltale games (albeit with maybe more impact?) but I'll have to wait and see what future episodes are like to see if it holds up on that promise. I'd been watching this for a while before I won the first episode, so they're released slooooooowly, so you may want to wait until you can buy them all as a pack.

It's pretty good! The art style/presentation works for it. Quite dark in some of the subject matter, to the point of being borderline depressing. Some poor choices where I wouldn't have made ANY of the presented choices, but seems kinda par for the course for these sorts of games.

I will complain that the achievements for it are all based off choices, so you have to play through three times to get them all (maybe it's possible with two, but I couldn't seem to find the option). That being said, once you know the story, there's a "skip cutscenes" option and a "speed dialogue" option, so it doesn't take much time to work through it all again.

Anyway, yeah. Worth a look.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Shade wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »

An FPS

Wait, what? The steam controllers are out now? Apparently I wasn't paying attention.

Early orders are shipping.

I think some people in Europe might have them? My shipping info says Tuesday, and the person who won my giveaway is showing Wednesday. So yeah, they'll be around.

So the list is now:

Shadow of Mordor
    RTS - I'll need to look into what I've got that's realtime. I've definitely got a few, but I don't know which (if any) would actually SUPPORT controllers. I'll do some digging
    FPS - Left 4 Dead 2 will be my goto, as I'm curious about this myself. I've always been KBAM for FPS, and I'm not sure whether the controller will change that.
    2D Platformer - Super Meat Boy will fill in nicely, although I may see what a shorter game on my "to beat" list is and try to play the whole game with it
    Brothers - I've beaten the game already, but it'd make a good testing ground
    Civ V
    The Witcher
    Endless Legend

I'll stream my playing, but please note that I may suck at the games :V This will obviously be over a period of time, and I may not be free to play on Tuesday itself. I'll post in-thread whenever I'll try something out.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, just finished Assassin's Creed: Revelations! I had quite a bit of fun with it and ended up enjoying it more than Brotherhood. Istanbul was a very fun city to run around in and getting to see sort of an epilogue for both Ezio and Altair was really neat. After punching out two AC games back to back, I figured I'd take a gaming break this weekend and watch some anime, but @Antoshka saw to it that no, I will indeed be gaming this weekend by gifting me Celestian Tales: Old North! Thanks a lot, I've been eyeing that game since it launched on Steam! Can't wait to dive into some turn based JRPG goodness :>

gkZdtUm.png

Thanks again <3

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    So the list is now:

Shadow of Mordor
    RTS - I'll need to look into what I've got that's realtime. I've definitely got a few, but I don't know which (if any) would actually SUPPORT controllers. I'll do some digging
    FPS - Left 4 Dead 2 will be my goto, as I'm curious about this myself. I've always been KBAM for FPS, and I'm not sure whether the controller will change that.
    2D Platformer - Super Meat Boy will fill in nicely, although I may see what a shorter game on my "to beat" list is and try to play the whole game with it
    Brothers - I've beaten the game already, but it'd make a good testing ground
    Civ V
    The Witcher
    Endless Legend

I'll stream my playing, but please note that I may suck at the games :V This will obviously be over a period of time, and I may not be free to play on Tuesday itself. I'll post in-thread whenever I'll try something out.

that's kinda the point of the Steam controller, the game doesn't have to support a controller to use it, you can remap any of the controls to mouse and keyboard inputs. I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of it once you've tried different genres, I'm really close to just ordering one but it won't hurt to wait a while longer

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    People.

I am really bad at reading bomb defusal manuals

So many failures.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    The venn diagram stuff never works right for me, I think its my natural weakness. Stupid overlapping lines.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    YhrrEc1.png

I.. don't.. what.. You can tell this game is amazing because theres a dude with a bicycle helmet. Thank you @Viking im sure this isn't some kind of master plan to send me the worst games you can find, and is instead a heartfelt gift. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Whoa whoa, who's talking shit about FMV games?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

Viking. But mainly @CorriganX.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Everyone since about 1998.

• Options
    Looks like the massive Witcher 3 patch prior to the Xpac was announced for today. Supposed to be in the 6-15 gig range.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Yeah, FMV-centric isn't generally a positive indicator of game quality. I remember that FMV Star Wars game. I was so excited.
    And it was so bad. Gun fights are much better when they're not the same activity as clicking on low resolution video clips overlaid on a static image.

697353d3329a45690f5d543002f1db0c63278da0e1bfb1f76ef870ba30d552f2_product_card_screenshot_600.jpg

At least Hot Wheels Stunt Driver was cool.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    At least Hot Wheels Stunt Driver was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J5TfggJc5g

Woooooooow, I have such fond memories of that game. I don't remember it looking like that at all, damn.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    In case you're not aware, Super Meat Boy recently came out on PS4/Vita. The soundtrack is completely different in that version. Danny Baranowsky apparently had a falling out with the guys in Team Meat and wouldn't relicense his music for the new games. A lot of the new music is done by the same guys who did the updated Binding of Isaac Rebirth soundtrack, and it really doesn't sound anything like the original soundtrack.

Anyway, I didn't think this would have any effect on the Steam version, but I noticed this exchange on twitter this morning between fans and Edmund McMillen of Team Meat:

I didn't notice the last two tweets until I was in the middle of this post, so I guess this is less alarming to me now. Whew. I'm a huge fan of the original soundtrack and Danny Baranowsky does amazing work. I would have hated to see it erased from the PC version.

• Options
    The new music isn't very good, so yeah, better retain the option if it happens.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I will bare knuckle brawl anyone who besmirches FMV.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

Heck, now I want to play Rebel Assault 2 again.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Heck, now I want to play Rebel Assault 2 again.

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebel_assault_1_2

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

It's easy to dig up crap FMV games but man, there were some classics. The Tex Murphy series and Megarace* come to mind. Recently we've had Contradiction, Tesla Effect to continue the Tex legacy, and the widely-admired Her Story.

FMV can be great, it just needs to be used right.

* - Yes, I liked Megarace. The first one, at least.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Anyone remember Sewer Shark for Sega CD? I used to really like that one though really it just came down to a game of Simon

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Anyone remember Sewer Shark for Sega CD? I used to really like that one though really it just came down to a game of Simon

With a very rudimentary shooting element! As a teen, I thought the game was pretty cool.

But I also thought Night Trap was pretty cool. I even made my own handwritten schedule for the game to get the perfect ending. That took a lot of trial and error. That's what happens when you're 15 years old with no real social life, I guess.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

With a very rudimentary shooting element! As a teen, I thought the game was pretty cool.

But I also thought Night Trap was pretty cool. I even made my own handwritten schedule for the game to get the perfect ending. That took a lot of trial and error. That's what happens when you're 15 years old with no real social life, I guess.

Ahhh the good old days. I used to go and rent some RPG most weekends with my friend and we would pretty much spend the entire weekend playing it. Now it's rare if I have even 1 full hour to play anything.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Man I frigging loved Rebel Assault as a kid, despite the fact that it was definitely horrible. Couldn't get any of the actually good Star Wars games on a Mac.

Well, I guess I did get to play Dark Forces, that was nice.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Man I frigging loved Rebel Assault as a kid, despite the fact that it was definitely horrible. Couldn't get any of the actually good Star Wars games on a Mac.

Well, I guess I did get to play Dark Forces, that was nice.

X-Wing and TIE Fighter were on Mac too. What else do you need? :wink:

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    What

wait are you joking I... I never got those. I didn't get them! I thought they were PC exclusive! CURSE THE PRE-INTERNET ERA.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

It's easy to dig up crap FMV games but man, there were some classics. The Tex Murphy series and Megarace* come to mind. Recently we've had Contradiction, Tesla Effect to continue the Tex legacy, and the widely-admired Her Story.

Lance Boyle was great!

Yeah, there was some crap and FMV got shoehorned into everything, but man if I don't have some great memories from it.

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    what are peoples experience with the steam controller? i personally use the 360 controller any time i can, often times coming up with interesting controller configurations. like for elite dangerous. i have the L and R shoulder set up as function/shift buttons so that every other button can be used three times, which may sound crazy but it works really well and control stick flying is far superior to mouse flying

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    what are peoples experience with the steam controller? i personally use the 360 controller any time i can, often times coming up with interesting controller configurations. like for elite dangerous. i have the L and R shoulder set up as function/shift buttons so that every other button can be used three times, which may sound crazy but it works really well and control stick flying is far superior to mouse flying

I think we've already awarded @Kalnaur the award for Crazy Controller Setups, but thanks for playing! :razz:

As for the Steam controller, I'm not sure anyone here has laid hands on one yet? They should start hitting next week.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    -
    Jazz wrote: »

Lance Boyle was great!

Yeah, there was some crap and FMV got shoehorned into everything, but man if I don't have some great memories from it.

Lance Boyle was amazing. Even his name was amazing. And the cool cyberpunky aesthetic of the tracks was very atmospheric, the car designs were awesome, and I remember the soundtrack being good too. The actual game was very simple, but it was still fun.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

He played Dogma on the PS3, and said the lack of competent fast travel was the glaring flaw in an otherwise great game.

I'll tell him about Zestria.

Witcher 3. Hits all the checkboxes and has a story to blow your brains out to boot.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.