Options

[Super Mario Maker] Create your own Mario levels and share them with everyone!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Literally anything they add, even minor bug fixes, is "hard." Some things are harder than others though. I mean, there is a difference between adding new things that behave like existing objects in the game and adding completely, totally brand new things. Either way, the requirement of work on Nintendo's part is assumed. DLC isn't magical :p I don't think that precludes people from making wish lists tho :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Q&A for this game must've been a nightmare. So many elements interacting with each other in more ways than you can count.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Well and we've already seen they missed some things. Probably shouldn't have made a track-specific way of erasing track, and forced people to use the eraser!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Well and we've already seen they missed some things. Probably shouldn't have made a track-specific way of erasing track, and forced people to use the eraser!

What you're saying is, it's all MNC Dover's fault :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I know you're joking, but I'm pretty sure contractors like him are indeed blamed when these types of bugs get out to the wild.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Just a short silly level. The Chase FAFE-0000-0096-DAC6

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Oh nooooo I've reached complete creator's blooooooock what do I doooooooo

I had a couple ideas but they don't seem worth making a full level around.

- Nobody ever uses tracks underwater from what I've seen. Track "umbrella" with enemies raining down on you from above, and you have to keep pace with the umbrella so they don't fall on you...

- Similar to the huge kitchen level, one that's a mad doctor's lab where you play as Dr. Mario

- Something with the weird enemy vehicles you can make such as bill blaster on top of boo

- Something with a lot of vines, vines on tracks, vines that come out of note blocks going downward

- Another level completely made of pipes because I love them

- Pants

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    please lord UncleSporky, grace us with your boon of visibility and grant us many stars by playing the levels of love

Soufflé Hills
    C614-0000-0081-6963

and with my shameless begging out of the way, for general consumption, a level I feel is enjoyable, though long:

Raspberry Meadows
    ECF7-0000-0096-46F3

the only challenging part in this level is the bit right before the end, and even then it's not too bad. everything else up to that point is your basic Marioing; kicking shells, jumpin on mans.

You have some great levels!

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

That would have been incredibly annoying considering how goddamn fussy that track drawing tool is. If I had to stop what I was doing and use the eraser every time it fucked up, I would have chucked the game pad into a wood chipper.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

That would have been incredibly annoying considering how goddamn fussy that track drawing tool is. If I had to stop what I was doing and use the eraser every time it fucked up, I would have chucked the game pad into a wood chipper.

Both shoulder buttons on one side at the same time brings up the eraser, I always use the eraser to get rid of track instead of drawing it back over itself.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

- Nobody ever uses tracks underwater from what I've seen. Track "umbrella" with enemies raining down on you from above, and you have to keep pace with the umbrella so they don't fall on you...

Shh.

If I could put out a level after 1 whole week, that would no longer be the case. Though, it did not look aesthetically like I had hoped, but I wanted to produce an effect that would only work with tracks because of a couple of enemies who do not follow rules.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I think I may already be past my peak in terms of level design. I've already sunk into the "meta-critical" phase of dying artists.

Roller Coaster Mishap (Auto...?)
    62FB-0000-0097-011D

It "plays" like an automatic level... until something goes wrong. You'll know it when you see it!

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Hey you want to know what's entertaining as hell

tumblr_nvxeugqSGM1svx1aeo1_500.jpg

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I know you're joking, but I'm pretty sure contractors like him are indeed blamed when these types of bugs get out to the wild.

And we shouldn't be. I've been on over a dozen different projects and I can say that a large majority of our testers are good at what they do. I wasn't on the Mario Maker team but imagine that they combed over a lot of stuff during their time.

The bigger problem I've noticed with a lot of games is the amount of things to check in ever-increasingly larger worlds. Like in GTA, MGS, or Xenoblade how do you possibly hope to find every bug that could happen in those vast worlds? Your debug team does work full-time on a game, but isn't usually that big. It's not surprising if things slip through the cracks. While I can't comment on anything I've seen in my testing time, I will say that the games I have tested have all come to us pretty solid.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So, I submitted three levels to the Mario Maker levels google form, but I have two more that I kept for this post because I don't think just about everyone will want to try them.

The three levels I added to the form are:

Airship Airlock Acrobatics (4E25-0000-0038-3D86), which is a pretty standard Mario level.
    Manic Manor Maze (68E4-0000-0043-EB33) and
    Thwomp Mountainside Puzzle (54D1-0000-004B-8B6B), they're both maze/puzzle-like stages.

I've made sure to test them thoroughly so that you're never stuck or dependent of some bullshit secret ?-block or all the "rookie maker mistakes".

As for the two other levels:

Heinous Hopping, Jittery Jumping (A58A-0000-0028-F98E) - (0.20% clear rate at the moment)
    Pick Your Path (425B-0000-0032-8722) - (0% clear rate at the moment)

They're extremely difficult. Not in the Kaizo "HA I TRICKED YOU" way, but just plain very very hard platforming.
    (I made sure every path in Pick Your Path is possible).

Djiem on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    please lord UncleSporky, grace us with your boon of visibility and grant us many stars by playing the levels of love

Soufflé Hills
    C614-0000-0081-6963

I don't know if it works anymore! Hare Fleet and Sunday Afternoon Garden Picnic have been on my list for a few days without much traffic it looks like.

But I played this and some of G00ba's levels.

Thanks for trying Sporky.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    I submitted my SMMC entry.

Depth Charged
    24B6-0000-0090-EF98

Story:
    The HMS Daisy, a Toadstool class nuclear submarine, has been lost at sea. Help Mario discover the ship's fate.

Ok a few of you have tried it, but nobody bothered to finish it. Is it too hard? Timer too short? Does it insist upon itself?

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular

Depth Charged
    24B6-0000-0090-EF98

Story:
    The HMS Daisy, a Toadstool class nuclear submarine, has been lost at sea. Help Mario discover the ship's fate.

Ok a few of you have tried it, but nobody bothered to finish it. Is it too hard? Timer too short? Does it insist upon itself?

I tried it and couldn't figure out what the hell to do. I got as far as figuring out that I need the spike helmet to break a ceiling to get someplace else, but I lost the fire flower so I couldn't get the bob-ombs after that to explode where I wanted them to, since they kept getting conveyor'd back the other way.

My memory of that attempt is a bit fuzzy so I may not be explaining it correctly. Trying to make my own underwater level at the moment, on the eve of the deadline.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    Conn wrote: »

Depth Charged
    24B6-0000-0090-EF98

Story:

I tried it and couldn't figure out what the hell to do. I got as far as figuring out that I need the spike helmet to break a ceiling to get someplace else, but I lost the fire flower so I couldn't get the bob-ombs after that to explode where I wanted them to, since they kept getting conveyor'd back the other way.

My memory of that attempt is a bit fuzzy so I may not be explaining it correctly. Trying to make my own underwater level at the moment, on the eve of the deadline.

Ohhh you were so close. Once you have the hat you can go to the end and challenge the boss. The fire flower isn't necessary.

Thanks for trying it though.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Donkey Kong Country Jr.:

3F22-0000-0097-2706

Features an interpretation of the classic barrel boosters from DKC. Also has a vine on a track coming out the bottom of a music note - as you talked about earlier @UncleSporky :)

Had one of those implemented in Dungeon Crawler Advanced but scrapped it for clock reasons. Started on this course last weekend but put it on hold for the SMMC. Pretty happy with the resulting course, though I think the kid players that struggled on the Zelda course will also find this too difficult.

Depth Charged
    24B6-0000-0090-EF98

Story:

I found it very difficult. It felt quite crowded with things that can kill you.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    My other levels were too easy. I wanted to take it up a notch. I guess I over did it. Oh well. It was a good learning experience.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Oh nooooo I've reached complete creator's blooooooock what do I doooooooo

I had a couple ideas but they don't seem worth making a full level around.

- Similar to the huge kitchen level, one that's a mad doctor's lab where you play as Dr. Mario

- Something with the weird enemy vehicles you can make such as bill blaster on top of boo

- Something with a lot of vines, vines on tracks, vines that come out of note blocks going downward

- Another level completely made of pipes because I love them

- Pants

Now that you're out of ideas it's time to remake your own stuff, a true Don't Eat the Mushroom level.
    I don't know how to do the burger king but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Djiem wrote: »

I read this as Maniac Mansion... and now I reaaaally want to make a Maniac Mansion course :D haha

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Yay, I got a nice comment on one of my levels. I like making things that my kids would find fun. But every level so far has just been to test how things work. I'm guessing practice will help me come up with more cohesive designs.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

Soufflé Hills
    C614-0000-0081-6963

and with my shameless begging out of the way, for general consumption, a level I feel is enjoyable, though long:

Raspberry Meadows
    ECF7-0000-0096-46F3

the only challenging part in this level is the bit right before the end, and even then it's not too bad. everything else up to that point is your basic Marioing; kicking shells, jumpin on mans.

d'aww

I played the Waluigi Wall of Doom this morning and it was aces

and Kai's magic hop level frustrated me until I realized what the doors did and it made the puzzle solving and jump practicing way more fun so shoutout to him

EDIT: also Sporky's magic totally worked, I got an avalanche of plays on my levels

praise to Sporky's divine influence!

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    I used my last upload slot on a course that I think (hope) is pretty easy and is fun as well. Hoping to push toward those 50 stars so I can finish up my Cave of Monsters levels.

You can wall jump?
    7408-0000-0097-4248
    WVW69idpYVohplqmgM

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    submitted my SMMC entry for the week, it made me weep for the limitations of the game, but it was a fun concept to play around with:

[SMMC] Flip It & Drain It!
    5502-0000-0097-45ED

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I guess I'll post a couple of my levels. They don't fit the theme, so they're not entries.

WVW69iZinDghWZuHvI
    Wear a Helmet! (F30B-0000-004B-AB46)

WVW69iYSZg4iNdW8k6
    Let's Get Started! (7B54-0000-0026-7FA5)
    This was my first level. I didn't even realize where you were in the editor while saving mattered for your thumbnail.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    My entry for this week's SMMC!

Shoddy Submarine Squadron

FDAB-0000-0097-4BFD

HUGNtGQ.jpg

Fun with tracks and overcrowded goomba submarines. More on the concept side, very easy, but a moderate length auto scroller, and it sucks to have to do those over again. Enjoy the ride.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    So, I submitted three levels to the Mario Maker levels google form, but I have two more that I kept for this post because I don't think just about everyone will want to try them.

The three levels I added to the form are:

Airship Airlock Acrobatics (4E25-0000-0038-3D86), which is a pretty standard Mario level.
    Thwomp Mountainside Puzzle (54D1-0000-004B-8B6B), they're both maze/puzzle-like stages.

I've made sure to test them thoroughly so that you're never stuck or dependent of some bullshit secret ?-block or all the "rookie maker mistakes".

Heinous Hopping, Jittery Jumping (A58A-0000-0028-F98E) - (0.20% clear rate at the moment)

They're extremely difficult. Not in the Kaizo "HA I TRICKED YOU" way, but just plain very very hard platforming.

Airship Airlock was fun but I LOVED Thwomp Mountainside Puzzle (though I had to keep retrying due to small little mistakes).

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    My contest entry for the week:

The Sea-Word (Tee-Hee-Hee)
    7BBB-0000-0097-5508

This was my first time learning how to use tracks. Can you tell? Starts above ground but takes place mostly underwater, as per the theme.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    New Courses! Sequels! Contest Entry!

Following after Shoot 'Em Up! (CEFD-0000-005F-7D49) are:

Shoot 'Em Up: Take to the Skies
    E1CC-0000-0097-477B
    1qgslyao7jg2.jpg

After being blasted with fireballs, stomped on, and bombarded with Bomb-ombs by Mario and Yoshi on land, Mega Bowser Jr and Mega Bowser take to the skies for refuge. But while they had hoped to slink away and recover from their third degree burns in peace, the vengeful and murder bent Mario and Yoshi (both fed up with the Koopa King and his cohorts shit) take flight in pursuit, with copious amounts of ammunition in tow, to try and finish things once and for all.

And my SMMC entry for this week:

Shoot 'Em Up: Into the Water
    3591-0000-0097-4C32
    mn68ou7rvo1q.jpg

Koopa Corpses rain from the sky. An even more charred Mega Bowser Jr and Mega Bowser plummet to the ocean beneath them. All manner of once airborne enemy types find their destination in a watery grave. Meanwhile Mario and Yoshi save and quit. They take a nice relaxing break in which they visit Toad Houses, play some tennis, ride some go karts, and of course afterward its . . .

back to killing! Deprived of most of their forces, the severely battered Koopa King and cohort must mostly rely upon the creatures of the deep to thwart the attack of their cunning and remorseless enemies. Unfortunately for the Koopas, the Mushroom Kingdom heroes seek to have their vengeance, desires, and subjects all checked off.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options

Just became the second person to beat Heinous Hopping!

Now to work on Pick Your Path...

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Some things I'd like to have:

Shake Mushrooms into Poison Mushrooms from SMB: The Lost Levels.
    Shake Vines to become chains or ropes (works the same as vines, just looks different)
    A way to make something appear when certain enemies are defeated, like a P-Switch when you beat Bowser so you can make Boss Fight Rooms.
    Shake Mario to play as Luigi, Wario, Toadstool, or Peach without the mysteryshroom. (I don't like that the Mysteryshroom acts as an item upgrade but keeps them small. Plus, you're stuck with SMB style and nothing changes gameplay.)
    Shake Yoshi for different colors.
    More Enemies.
    Slopes.
    That Water Idea a few pages back.
    More Themes.

• Options

Soufflé Hills
    C614-0000-0081-6963

Raspberry Meadows
    ECF7-0000-0096-46F3

d'aww

I played the Waluigi Wall of Doom this morning and it was aces

and Kai's magic hop level frustrated me until I realized what the doors did and it made the puzzle solving and jump practicing way more fun so shoutout to him

EDIT: also Sporky's magic totally worked, I got an avalanche of plays on my levels

praise to Sporky's divine influence!

Thanks for the comments on that level. Yeah I wanted to do a thing that was able to be mildly challenging but completely fair. The doors plus the respawning feathers were supposed to make the whole thing possible without losing a life unless you run out of time. Even the final part to run from the ghosts you can always go back and get a feather if you get hit.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Glad you liked the puzzle, @TDawg. Took quite a while to make, surprisingly, because items sometimes reset position when you go too far off-screen, so I had to completely redesign it a few times over.

And good luck, @Conn!

Djiem on
  • Options
    GrainGrain Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So I picked this game up on a whim yesterday because I had some extra gift card $$$ from a Best Buy card that was burning a hole in my pocket. Boy am I glad I did. This is the most fun I've had with the Wii U since Mario Kart. The level creation tool is soooo very good. I wasn't sure how much fun I would have with level design. Quite frankly, it seemed intimidating and I didn't think I would have that much fun with it because I thought I would get analysis paralysis. Instead...here I am at work drawing out levels on paper and trying to come up with somewhat challenging, but fun levels that are easy to moderate difficulty.

Now I need Metroid and Zelda maker. DO EET NINTENDO DO EEET

edit: and the SMB2 tile set and mobs.

Grain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

White: 1721-3651-2720
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, I feel this needs to be posted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/3o3u3t/dusty_cartridge_a_throwback_to_the_good_old_days/

Some guy made a level that emulates a messed up cartridge read on the NES from the old games. This just felt so right and even the way he made it so you purposely try to find a path through the garbage made sense.

Its just a really good idea.

• Options
    Riptor did a similar thing! Not exactly but the idea of a slightly glitchy game.
    I gotta say my most popular stage is So you Blew in the Cart huh? (2ABE-0000-0056-B342)

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I need to play that when I get home then. I may have missed it before I got the game or just in general if it was after -_-

Think my kids have claim to the SMM before their bed time. I got a lot done on my SMMC entry but will likely be finishing that up tonight too.

Kai_San on