As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come [Puzzle] With Me

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
So, the Internet's brain has once again been broken, this time by a puzzle out of a math olympiad:
Albert and Bernard just met Cheryl. “When’s your birthday?” Albert asked Cheryl.

Cheryl thought a second and said, “I’m not going to tell you, but I’ll give you some clues.” She wrote down a list of 10 dates:

May 15 — May 16 — May 19

June 17 — June 18

July 14 — July 16

August 14 — August 15 — August 17

“My birthday is one of these,” she said.

Then Cheryl whispered in Albert’s ear the month — and only the month — of her birthday. To Bernard, she whispered the day, and only the day.

“Can you figure it out now?” she asked Albert.

Albert: I don’t know when your birthday is, but I know Bernard doesn’t know, either.

Bernard: I didn’t know originally, but now I do.

Albert: Well, now I know, too!

When is Cheryl’s birthday?

It's not all that difficult, as the form goes, but it's nice to see the attention of the internet captured by logic, as opposed to what normally catches its eye. So, in the spirit of this, I want to open the floor for everyone to put forth their love of puzzles, riddles, and other conundrums of logic, for us to share and beat our heads in with.

Well, with one caveat. There is one logic puzzle that is not welcome here, because it pretty much has derailed any other prior puzzle thread we've had. So, as a rule, discussion of the Monty Hall Problem is verboten. Yes, we know it seems unintuitive. But it's been discussed to death before, so let's let it rest in peace.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    "What is inside out, and all around, upside down, yet can't be found?

It goes backward forward in daylight, left and right then out of sight.

It's hot and cold without a doubt, like sun and moon twirling about.

It's north south east and west, black white and all the rest.

Good luck in solving this little chime, you'll be at it 'til the end of time."

what is it, and why..?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Was that from the last puzzle thread? I recall one of the brain teasers thoroughly confounding the board, and the answer being arbitrary and dissatisfying.
    Was it a dream?

• Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Was that from the last puzzle thread? I recall one of the brain teasers thoroughly confounding the board, and the answer being arbitrary and dissatisfying.
    Was it a dream?

I posted a similar(ish) puzzle in a thread here years ago, which I always thought was called the product-sum puzzle or something similar, but which Wikipedia informs me is inaccurately called "The Impossible Puzzle". The statement is as follows:
    X and Y are two different integers, greater than 1, with sum less than 100. S and P are two mathematicians; S knows the sum X+Y, P knows the product X*Y, and both know the information in these two sentences. The following conversation occurs.

P says "I cannot find these numbers."
    S says "I was sure that you could not find them. I cannot find them either."
    P says "Then, I found these numbers."
    S says "If you could find them, then I also found them."

There are many variations with more statements (and hence different answers, naturally). Also I'm pretty sure Wikipedia's assertion "with sum less than 100" can be replaced by "with each less than 100" and you still get the same solution.

Note the solution (with a long-winded explanation) is available on the Wikipedia article. So, don't look there if you're interested in solving it yourself.

Also note this can be done with pencil and paper (that is how I solved it when I first encountered it), but you can save yourself quite a bit of writing with very basic programming.

EDIT: I'll also say that while I can't guarantee a satisfying answer, I can guarantee that the solutions for this problem and the OP's problem are certainly not arbitrary

EDIT2: Oh dear, I'm gradually realizing you weren't referring to the OP puzzle.

Clipse on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

what is it, and why..?

Oh man I remember this one. Pages and pages of guesses and then the answer was something utterly arbitrary and my memory is hazy but I think we hunted down and killed whoever posted it in a blind rage.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Was it a dream?

Right on both counts.

It is/was literally the worst.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

what is it, and why..?

Salt n'Peppa for obvious reasons

Edit: the alternate form of that reason was pretty good to
    I feature bananas, apples too,
    Sometimes I'm false and sometimes I'm true,
    I might have a giraffe, or a George Foreman Grill,
    And you'll never solve me, because I'm a terrible riddle

For the record the guy said that the riddle was "something specific and not general like love of god" and then that is exactly what the fucking answer was.
    dreams

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    OP puzzle is easy, the internet needs to smarten up.

Salt'n'Peppa will always be the true answer to the bullshit word puzzle.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    OP puzzle annoyed me a bit due to the vague wording, it is hard to tell if Alberts first statement is a deduction or initial condition and it leads to a different answer depending on which one you went with.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The justifications for that dreams riddle were horrendous. "Things can be hot and cold in dreams".

fffffffffffffffffff

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My favourite types of riddle don't really work in forums, as they're the long-form ones where you get given an odd scenario and have to work them out through yes or no questions.

Some people find them annoyingly arbitrary, but they've been lifesavers during long car trips or to keep kids' attention.

My favourites (there's no point trying to solve them here as the thread would be dominated by questions just about these riddles, so I'll just put the answers - feel free to try them out with friends):

A surgeon approaches a tramp in New York City, and offers him $5,000 for his left arm. The tramp agrees, and the surgeon removes the arm, pays the tramp, and they go their separate ways. The surgeon then packs the arm in ice and posts it to Las Vegas, where six men are waiting for it. They open the package, see what's inside, then drive out into the desert and bury it. They then go their separate ways. Why?
    Years ago all seven men were stranded on an island, and the surgeon made a deal that he would cut off the arm of each of them in turn to eat, on the understanding that if they were rescued, any man with a remaining arm would have it removed, including the surgeon. They were rescued in time but all six men had lost their arms, and so expected the surgeon to get his arm removed as per the deal. To avoid losing his livelihood, the surgeon cut the arm off the tramp to pass off as his own.

A man is passing a clifftop restaurant that boasts albatross pie on the menu. He enters and orders it. When the pie arrives, he takes one bite, pays the bill, then goes outside and throws himself off the cliff to his death. Why?
    Years ago the man was stranded on a desert island with two other men. The two other men went hunting for food. One returned with a pile of meat, claiming it was albatross, which was caught on the cliffs but the other guy had fallen to his death. Both men ate it and were able to live long enough to get rescued. When the man saw the albatross pie on offer, he ordered it out of nostalgia, but when he found that it tasted nothing like what he ate on the island he realised the awful truth: he had eaten the dead guy. Racked with guilt, he committed suicide.

No I don't know why my two favourites include cannibalism, shut up

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    My favourite types of riddle don't really work in forums, as they're the long-form ones where you get given an odd scenario and have to work them out through yes or no questions.

Some people find them annoyingly arbitrary, but they've been lifesavers during long car trips or to keep kids' attention.

My favourites (there's no point trying to solve them here as the thread would be dominated by questions just about these riddles, so I'll just put the answers - feel free to try them out with friends):

A surgeon approaches a tramp in New York City, and offers him $5,000 for his left arm. The tramp agrees, and the surgeon removes the arm, pays the tramp, and they go their separate ways. The surgeon then packs the arm in ice and posts it to Las Vegas, where six men are waiting for it. They open the package, see what's inside, then drive out into the desert and bury it. They then go their separate ways. Why?
    Years ago all seven men were stranded on an island, and the surgeon made a deal that he would cut off the arm of each of them in turn to eat, on the understanding that if they were rescued, any man with a remaining arm would have it removed, including the surgeon. They were rescued in time but all six men had lost their arms, and so expected the surgeon to get his arm removed as per the deal. To avoid losing his livelihood, the surgeon cut the arm off the tramp to pass off as his own.

A man is passing a clifftop restaurant that boasts albatross pie on the menu. He enters and orders it. When the pie arrives, he takes one bite, pays the bill, then goes outside and throws himself off the cliff to his death. Why?
    Years ago the man was stranded on a desert island with two other men. The two other men went hunting for food. One returned with a pile of meat, claiming it was albatross, which was caught on the cliffs but the other guy had fallen to his death. Both men ate it and were able to live long enough to get rescued. When the man saw the albatross pie on offer, he ordered it out of nostalgia, but when he found that it tasted nothing like what he ate on the island he realised the awful truth: he had eaten the dead guy. Racked with guilt, he committed suicide.

Are you a Survivor Type @Rhesus Positive ?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I get that reference!

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yeah the OP puzzle is pretty weak. Basic deduction and sets, no logic leaps

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Yeah the OP puzzle is pretty weak. Basic deduction and sets, no logic leaps

It's meant for kids. That the Internet was enthralled by it is interesting, because if you've got any experience with logic or math, it should be solvable it seconds. Provided you don't get caught up quibbling over wording.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The sad thing about the Cheryl puzzle is that it's really just a weaker version of the Zebra/Einstein puzzle.
    • There are five houses.
    • The Englishman lives in the red house.
    • The Spaniard owns the dog.
    • Coffee is drunk in the green house.
    • The Ukrainian drinks tea.
    • The green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house.
    • The Old Gold smoker owns snails.
    • Kools are smoked in the yellow house.
    • Milk is drunk in the middle house.
    • The Norwegian lives in the first house.
    • The man who smokes Chesterfields lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
    • Kools are smoked in a house next to the house where the horse is kept.
    • The Lucky Strike smoker drinks orange juice.
    • The Japanese smokes Parliaments.
    • The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
    Now, who drinks water? Who owns the zebra?

In the interest of clarity, it must be added that each of the five houses is painted a different color, and their inhabitants are of different national extractions, own different pets, drink different beverages and smoke different brands of American cigarets [sic]. One other thing: in statement 6, right means your right.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    We all know the one about the blue eyes, right?

Here are a pair that my dad got from a coworker:

A guy has two bottles of seemingly identical pills, each with the same number currently in them. He has to take exactly one pill from each every day, no more and no less, otherwise he dies. One day, he drops the bottles and three pills fall out (edit: two from one bottle and one from the other). What does he do?
    also he lives in a hellish dystopia and can't afford to just toss the pills or something, i dunno
    edited: Count the pills remaining in the bottles. Take a pill from the bottle that didn't lose two pills, cut all four pills in half, take one set of halves.

A gal wants to paint the area between two concentric circles. What is the smallest number of measurements she needs to make to find the area of what she'll be painting?
    One. The area between two concentric circles can be found using a chord of the outer circle tangent to the inner circle.

The derivation is left as an exercise for the reader.

edit: Also, in the birthday problem, it is kind of super important that A and B both know that C told one of them the month and the other the date. It's not made explicit in that version.

edit edit: Apparently it's not explicit in the original version either, but the revised one makes it even LESS clear. So good job NYTimes or whomever.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Khan Academy has some pretty good puzzles.

Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNhxkpmVQYw

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The sad thing about the Cheryl puzzle is that it's really just a weaker version of the Zebra/Einstein puzzle.
    • There are five houses.
    • The man who smokes Chesterfields lives in the house next to the man with the fox.

In the interest of clarity, it must be added that each of the five houses is painted a different color, and their inhabitants are of different national extractions, own different pets, drink different beverages and smoke different brands of American cigarets [sic]. One other thing: in statement 6, right means your right.

I don't think the two puzzles are wholly similar. The puzzle you are giving is just a logic grid puzzle, which only requires information you know. The puzzle in the OP specifically requires you to consider what other people know and what they know the other person knows. That is, at the very least, a lot harder for people to understand than solving a large grid based solely on what they know.

Surfpossum wrote: »

A guy has two bottles of seemingly identical pills, each with the same number currently in them. He has to take exactly one pill from each every day, no more and no less, otherwise he dies. One day, he drops the bottles and three pills fall out. What does he do?
    also he lives in a hellish dystopia and can't afford to just toss the pills or something, i dunno
    Take a pill from the bottle that didn't lose a pill, cut all four pills in half, take one set of halves.
    While I suppose it should be obvious since he should count the pills, it doesn't make it clear that two pills fell out of one bottle and one pill fell out of the other. Without that information, the solution should actually just be "he takes all the pills and cuts them in half."

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Salt'n'Pepa is one of my proudest forum moments. It am delighted that it is remembered so fondly.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

I had a game called Mindtrap as a kid that had a lot of riddles like this

they always did, and still do, give me the fucking chills more than almost anything I've ever read. I'm not sure why. But I also like them and will read straight through to the answers without even trying too hard because I find them super satisfying.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

does it also explain the interaction between a hypothetical airplane and treadmill?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

That Salt N Peppa answer is forever burned in my mind as the best answer to any riddle of ALL TIME.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Here's a Marvel Themed puzzle that I made up just now. It is loosely based on an old Dungeons and Dragons puzzle that I had a couple decades ago.

Here are some heroes and villains from the Marvel Universe. Can you identify the character, and place all of them in the correct order? Explain why you think the order is correct in a spoiler.
    t2hwzvlvh2ja.jpg

pnugp13zd5wu.jpg

usceamajw0rm.jpg

0okcz10iykqt.jpg

jf3qglsemlai.jpg

nc4rrsic6opz.jpg

d10cbc7crztg.jpg

Hint: I took the pictures directly from the Marvel website character listings, if you are having problems identifying the characters.

EDIT: Put the pictures in a spoiler. I'm anticipating quote trees, and it might get a little messy if these pictures are quoted a lot.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Characters in order of appearance: Mandarin, Moon Knight, Phoenix, Klaw, Cyclops , Thor, Sunfire.

Possible ways of arranging giving it 10 seconds of thought:
    Alphabetical.

Order of appearance.

Power level.

Some sort of creation myth or cycle that has some author-specific permutation of Phoenix -> Sun(fire) -> Moon (knight) -> Lightning (Thor) -> Klaw (sound) -> Cyclops (Concussive) -> Mandarin (Man)

EDIT: If it has anything to do with the latter one, I'm really not interested in solving it further because that either involves a made up cycle or searching through a creation myth that contains all of those, and none of the ones I can think of (Judeo-Christian, Islamic, Babylonian, Shinto, Voodoo) include all the pieces.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Characters in order of appearance: Mandarin, Moon Knight, Phoenix, Klaw, Cyclops , Thor, Sunfire.

Possible ways of arranging giving it 10 seconds of thought:
    Alphabetical.

Order of appearance.

Power level.

Some sort of creation myth or cycle that has some author-specific permutation of Phoenix -> Sun(fire) -> Moon (knight) -> Lightning (Thor) -> Klaw (sound) -> Cyclops (Concussive) -> Mandarin (Man)

EDIT: If it has anything to do with the latter one, I'm really not interested in solving it further because that either involves a made up cycle or searching through a creation myth that contains all of those, and none of the ones I can think of (Judeo-Christian, Islamic, Babylonian, Shinto, Voodoo) include all the pieces.
    You have the right characters, but not the right order. It does not have to do with a creation myth.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Surfpossum wrote: »

A guy has two bottles of seemingly identical pills, each with the same number currently in them. He has to take exactly one pill from each every day, no more and no less, otherwise he dies. One day, he drops the bottles and three pills fall out. What does he do?
    Take a pill from the bottle that didn't lose a pill, cut all four pills in half, take one set of halves.
    While I suppose it should be obvious since he should count the pills, it doesn't make it clear that two pills fell out of one bottle and one pill fell out of the other. Without that information, the solution should actually just be "he takes all the pills and cuts them in half."
    Whoops, you are right, I forgot to add that detail. And I screwed up the answer! But seems like you read it the way I meant to write it.
    I'm not sure what you mean by your solution of cutting all the pills in half. I don't think there's any solution if you can't tell which bottle has more pills left (which is true whether the ratio was two to one or three to zero; with three from one bottle, tho, he can just put them back in).

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    • There are five houses.

I don't think the two puzzles are wholly similar. The puzzle you are giving is just a logic grid puzzle, which only requires information you know. The puzzle in the OP specifically requires you to consider what other people know and what they know the other person knows. That is, at the very least, a lot harder for people to understand than solving a large grid based solely on what they know.
    Yeah, it's more similar to the old one about the logicians at the coffee shop.
    A waitress walks up to a breakfast table with five logicians and asks, 'Does everyone here want coffee?'
    The first logician says, 'I don't know.'
    The second logician says, 'I don't know.'
    The third logician says, 'I don't know.'
    The fourth logician says, 'I don't know.'
    And the fifth logician says, 'No.'
    To whom did the waitress bring coffee — and why?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    *snip*
    A waitress walks up to a breakfast table with five logicians and asks, 'Does everyone here want coffee?'
    I think I have it:
    Any logician who does not want coffee will answer the question with 'No, everyone here does not want coffee' because it only takes one logician not wanting coffee to give a negative answer. So the fact that the first four logicians said "I don't know" tells the waitress that each one wants coffee, but couldn't say for sure that all of the others did, and so couldn't say yes. The only way the 5th logician could say "no" is if he doesn't want coffee, so the waitress brings a steaming cup to each of the first four logicians.

I feel like I'm missing something, but that's where I'm at. Close? Far?

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    What starts with E, ends with E, and contains one letter?

Answer:
    envelope

sig.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    OP puzzle
    If Albert knows that Bernard can't know, then the month can't be May or June

If it was, then the date could be the 18th or the 19th, in which case it would be possible for Bernard to know because each of those dates only shows up once in the list

Eliminating those two months erases the ambiguity of the date Bernard was given. So the date must be one that was in either July or August, but NOT both, and which was in either May or June or both

The only date that fits the criteria is August 17.

Therefore her birthday is August 17.

Right?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Nope. The first bit is right about 18/19, A knows that B doesn't know it, so it must be a month with non-unique dates - may/june eliminated
    B knows it now, so it can't be the 14th - July 16, Aug 15/17 left.
    However because A also knows it after that, and A wouldn't be able to if it was august, only possibility is July 16

• Options
    OP puzzle

If it was, then the date could be the 18th or the 19th, in which case it would be possible for Bernard to know because each of those dates only shows up once in the list

Eliminating those two months erases the ambiguity of the date Bernard was given. So the date must be one that was in either July or August, but NOT both, and which was in either May or June or both

Right?
    Close, but not quite.
    A says he knows that B can't know.

The only way A can know that B wasn't told 18 or 19 (which would let B know the month as well, since both those only appear once) is if A was told July or August.

B now knows that A was told either July or August.

B now knows the date and month, and says so. This means that B wasn't told 14, otherwise he couldn't be sure of the month. He was either told 15, 16, or 17, and can match any of those to the appropriate month.

Now A also knows the date and month. The only way A can know the date is if there is only one option available to B given the date. If the birthday was August 15th or 17th, A wouldn't be able to know which one. He would know what he was told (August) and that B was told either 15 or 17, but not which.

Therefore, A had to have been told July, and B had to have been told 16.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    • There are five houses.

Herself: She's no logician and the table of assholes gave her a headache so she poured herself a cup of coffee and wept at the futility of her job and life in general.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    OP puzzle

Right?

I've been thinking on this all day and I had similar thinking

• Options
    And here's a logician being too cute for his own good. Because he's actually wrong in his own logic.

In his arguments for what's wrong with the logical argument that the treasure is in the red box, he says this:
    "If the treasure is in the green box, the red label (exactly one of the labels is true) is inconsistent."
    It could be. Nothing in the puzzle statement ruled this out. But actually it's not inconsistent, it's just irrelevant.

The problem is that if the treasure is in the green box, the label isn't just inconsistent, but out and out paradoxical. If the treasure is in the green box, then the label on it (the treasure is in this box) is true. Which means that there's no way to get a logical value on the label on the red box that doesn't go and turn around (If we hold that this means that BOTH labels are true, then the statement of the red label is then false, which in turn means that only ONE label is true, which means that the red label is actually true, which means that BOTH labels are true...you get the point.) Since the rules of the game mean we cannot have a paradox, we can safely eliminate the green box. Only by placing the treasure in the red box do we enter into a fully logically consistent state.

The same sort of argument is used as the proof that the halting problem cannot be solved.

• Options
    A dream

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Since this thread currently is a thing that exists, I think I've figured out what's wrong with the usual inductive explanation to the Blue-Eyed Islanders problem.
    The inductive solution only works because it leaves out information that is universally known, which we tend to overlook because we're not trained to deal with that sort of thing when performing induction. If there are 100 blue-eyed islanders, then all of them can themselves see 99 blue-eyed islanders, and know that their neighbors can see at least 98 blue-eyed islanders. This is not an inductive step, it's a universal truth. Any inductive hypothesis that theorizes the existence of fewer than 98 blue-eyed islanders is therefore inherently false and doesn't need to be evaluated any further.

Taken another way, the first step of induction isn't to look at a single neighbor and predict what that neighbor is thinking looking down a chain of neighbors. The first step is to look at what all of the neighbors are thinking, and then what all of the neighbors are thinking all of their other neighbors are thinking, and then what all of the neighbors are thinking all of their other neighbors are thinking all of their other neighbors are thinking, and so on. You can't act like an actor deep in the chain is ignorant when evaluating the chain in a different order would indicate that it's much better informed.

Edit: Eh, adding link.

jothki on
  • Options
    Meet Monty Hall v2: The Sleeping Beauty Problem:
    We plan to put Beauty to sleep by chemical means, and then we'll flip a
    (fair) coin. If the coin lands Heads, we will awaken Beauty on Monday
    afternoon and interview her. If it lands Tails, we will awaken her Monday
    afternoon, interview her, put her back to sleep, and then awaken her again
    on Tuesday afternoon and interview her again.

The (each?) interview is to consist of the one question: what is your
    credence now for the proposition that our coin landed Heads?

When awakened (and during the interview) Beauty will not be able to tell
    which day it is, nor will she remember whether she has been awakened
    before.

She knows the above details of our experiment.

What credence should she state in answer to our question?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    And here's a logician being too cute for his own good. Because he's actually wrong in his own logic.

In his arguments for what's wrong with the logical argument that the treasure is in the red box, he says this:
    "If the treasure is in the green box, the red label (exactly one of the labels is true) is inconsistent."
    It could be. Nothing in the puzzle statement ruled this out. But actually it's not inconsistent, it's just irrelevant.

The problem is that if the treasure is in the green box, the label isn't just inconsistent, but out and out paradoxical. If the treasure is in the green box, then the label on it (the treasure is in this box) is true. Which means that there's no way to get a logical value on the label on the red box that doesn't go and turn around (If we hold that this means that BOTH labels are true, then the statement of the red label is then false, which in turn means that only ONE label is true, which means that the red label is actually true, which means that BOTH labels are true...you get the point.) Since the rules of the game mean we cannot have a paradox, we can safely eliminate the green box. Only by placing the treasure in the red box do we enter into a fully logically consistent state.

The same sort of argument is used as the proof that the halting problem cannot be solved.
    The issue is that we are not given "only one label is true" we infer it because that is how lots of those logic puzzles work.

It doesn't matter what is written on the box because which box the treasure is in is not tied to the labels. Which is why there isn't enough info.

And of course Monty hall question has Monty hall answer. Though I feel this one is easier than the original.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Uh.
    Isn't the whole point of that post the fact that you have to assume the labels are worthless because they were never specified as being useful (true statements)? So them being paradoxical is "fine."