Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    1 frame is about 17ms and humans can detect 2 frames of lag. So yeah less than 3 frames of lag is pretty good, especially at that size.

if the game is running at 60+ fps

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Somethings wrong with my x930c :(. I noticed a weird smudgy patch when playing Bloodborne yesterday and did some digging. I ended up making an image for a black level test here:
    loTiIYo.png

Here's the result, captured with my Canon T2i with the lights off:
    0gJsPvT.jpg

For reference, here is the result of a similar test from rtings.com's review on the black levels (which they gave a 9.5):
    x930c-uniformity-large.jpg

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Have you fiddled with the settings at all? TV's can come out of the factory pre-configured with brightness boosted to a ridiculous degree and the colors over-saturated, something that would look good on a very brightly lit show-room and stand out in a sea of similar looking sets. But in home-viewing conditions toning them down will definitely de-emphasize or remove that clouding, while giving you a more accurate picture quality.

I'd maybe pop into the AVSforum owner's thread for your set and see if someone might have put up their user corrected settings. Assuming you don't want to spend money on an ISF calibrator's services (I never have).

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking about going the opposite direction most folks go and getting a soundbar. I have a 5 speaker system now.

Shadowfire, are you stupid/drunk/dead and replaced with an insectoid?

I love my speakers, but a few things are up:
    We're moving and the living room is a bit smaller.
    I don't want to wire that shit again (This is the least important part).
    The receiver is probably six or seven years old at this point and has broken knobs and buttons on the interface, and the speakers, while nice, aren't top of the line at all.
    We have a little one who will likely be moving around in a few months. I don't want her pulling a tall speaker over into herself, or getting tangled in wires and hurting herself or the equipment (This is the most important part).

So, if I wanted to spend $300 or less on a soundbar, which direction should I look at?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Wirecutter is working on updating their Budget (sub-$400) Soundbar guide, and I think they're pretty much the only place that does comparisons in that price range. If you can wait a month or so, I'd wait and see what they say.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm thinking about going the opposite direction most folks go and getting a soundbar. I have a 5 speaker system now.

The receiver is probably six or seven years old at this point and has broken knobs and buttons on the interface, and the speakers, while nice, aren't top of the line at all.
    We have a little one who will likely be moving around in a few months. I don't want her pulling a tall speaker over into herself, or getting tangled in wires and hurting herself or the equipment (This is the most important part).

So, if I wanted to spend $300 or less on a soundbar, which direction should I look at?

Amazon currently has a very highly rated Vizio 40" with satellite and sub-woofer up for $220 if you have Prime. This is the new version of what was Wirecutters step up in their last round up and addressed the one big issue with inputs.

Mine is currently shipping to me so I don't know if I'll have any comment on it while it's still on sale.

Edit: Or not. I just double checked that link and it seems the deal is dead.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    We went to a store and checked out a bunch of the soundbars, including the Vizio one you mentioned. It... didn't sound incredible. So we kept looking at some Samsungs (which I read have problems with non-Samsung TVs occasionally), LG, and JBL bars. Even saw a Polk one.

Eventually we said "fuck it," splurged a bit, and bought a Klipsch set. We wanted one that would last a while and sounded good, and this one we got at a pretty good discount. Now it sits in the box until we move.

Color me excited!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I need some suggestions for buying a TV. The minimum things I'm looking for are the size to be 32-40 inches (I measured what space I'm using it in) and for the resolution to be 1080p.

I bought a TV I had been eyeing for a while in Bestbuy, but when I took it home and tried out netflix and YouTube (both as smartTV apps and using a HDMI cable with a Laptop and a Desktop) I noticed that the video quality wasn't very smooth. It felt like the videos were slightly more choppy and felt slower even though when I compared my laptop to the TV they both kept the same time, my laptop was consistently more smooth even though the TV much better color. I had tried my lappy with an HDMI on two of my friends TVs and noticed the quality of color and contrast looked much better and games and videos played smoother, but on this new TV I bought the videos just had a little bit of lag which I noticed as I'm sensitive to that. I thought if I wasn't liking how it was looking on video I probably would like it less if I tried a game on it. I know "smooth" probably isn't helpful. When I say "smooth" I mean I am looking for something like the "Soap Opera Effect" some newer TVs have. That might not be right either. I'm returning the TV tomorrow. It was a Vizio model E32-C1. It had a 120hz/240hz refresh rate though that didn't apparent matter because when I checked the TV's system information it hovered around 60 on YouTube vids and 24 on Netflix (which is what movies are shot in so I wasn't worried about that)

I have a budget of $500 including tax.

• Options
    If you have to stay under 42 inches, the Samsung UN40J5500 is supposed to be good.

Given your specific sensitivities and requirements, you might just have to try a bunch of different sets until you find something you like, though.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Crossposting this here since maybe somebody in here might be able to point me in the right direction...

my 2012 samsung 51" plasma's panel started going bad, so I pulled the trigger on the extended warranty I had. they gave me a samsung 50" LED as a replacement (UN50J6300).

I'm very ambivalent about it right now. Colors seem good (except bright reds are for some reason muted. I have to fuck with the white balance I think). My biggest issue is when there's a lot of black on the screen. Then its a complete crapshoot on what the TV does with this. For instance, Adult Swim bumps? As soon as a mostly black image with single color text appears on the screen, the entire picture's brightness is suddenly dimmed, and goes away once more color appears on the screen (even if its a lot of white. think of movie credits, that's basically when this occurs). The PS4 loading screen however isn't displayed as a solid black with the white PS4 logo, it looks like distilled grays instead of a solid black background (even though its the same kind of black background as the adult swim bumps/movie redits). This is on the same HDMI input channel too, as both the cable box and ps4 go through a receiver into the tv. so the same color settings should be applied. supposedly the dimming thing is tied to the Eco settings, even though I have all of the extra processing and options stuff turned off its still happening. I looked around in the service menu but didn't see any obviously named option to turn it off either (previous models it was something called CE Dimming). If I could just get rid of the dimming nonsense from happening and calibrate it some more I think I could live with it. But honestly, I'm tempted to sell it off and get another plasma, or a better LED.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Crossposting this here since maybe somebody in here might be able to point me in the right direction...

my 2012 samsung 51" plasma's panel started going bad, so I pulled the trigger on the extended warranty I had. they gave me a samsung 50" LED as a replacement (UN50J6300).

I'm very ambivalent about it right now. Colors seem good (except bright reds are for some reason muted. I have to fuck with the white balance I think). My biggest issue is when there's a lot of black on the screen. Then its a complete crapshoot on what the TV does with this. For instance, Adult Swim bumps? As soon as a mostly black image with single color text appears on the screen, the entire picture's brightness is suddenly dimmed, and goes away once more color appears on the screen (even if its a lot of white. think of movie credits, that's basically when this occurs). The PS4 loading screen however isn't displayed as a solid black with the white PS4 logo, it looks like distilled grays instead of a solid black background (even though its the same kind of black background as the adult swim bumps/movie redits). This is on the same HDMI input channel too, as both the cable box and ps4 go through a receiver into the tv. so the same color settings should be applied. supposedly the dimming thing is tied to the Eco settings, even though I have all of the extra processing and options stuff turned off its still happening. I looked around in the service menu but didn't see any obviously named option to turn it off either (previous models it was something called CE Dimming). If I could just get rid of the dimming nonsense from happening and calibrate it some more I think I could live with it. But honestly, I'm tempted to sell it off and get another plasma, or a better LED.

If you have the budget, look out for the LG OLED TV, a 1080p one still costs around $2000+ but for blacks its amazing.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    i'll think about it

i'm just very disappointed is all. I got the colors looking better, but the dimming and inconsistent blacks remain.

Here's what my settings are at for what it's worth:
    Picture Mode: Standard (the only one that has energy star logo next to it. other options are Dynamic, Natural, and Movie.)
    Backlight: 13 (default is 15, out of 20)
    Contrast: 80 (default is 100)
    Brightness: 50 (default)
    Sharpness: 50 (default)
    Color: 65 (default is 50, upping it fixed the red issue mostly)
    Tint (G/R): 50/50 (default)
    Picture Size: 16:9 (default)
    Fit to Screen: Auto (default)

Advanced Settings:
    Dynamic Contrast: Off
    Black Tone: Off
    Flesh Tone: 0 (default)
    RGB Only Mode: Off (default)
    Color Space: Native (default)
    White Balance: 2 Point, RGB Offset and RGB Gain are all set to 0 which is default. (Tried playing with this but it didn't make a huge difference, it just lowered the amount of dimming of the white text on the black)
    Gamma: 0 (default)

Picture Options:
    Color Tone: Standard (other options are Cool, Warm1 & 2) (default)
    Digital Clean View: Off
    MPEG Noise Filter: Off
    HDMI Black Level (disabled, unable to select)
    Film Mode: (disabled, unabled to select)
    Auto Motion Plus: off

Eco Solution:
    Energy Saving (dynamically adjusts brightness to save power): Off
    Eco Sensor (adjusts brightness based on optical sensor): Off
    Motion Lighting (adjusts brightness based motion in image): Off

I tried playing around with the Dynamic and Normal settings and that does stop the auto dimming, Movie does have the dimming as well (its easy to test, I had an episode of Rick and Morty recorded, fast forwarded to a Adult Swim bump, and toggled the picture modes while paused. The image brightens and then immediately dims again.

What really bugs me is that on the same settings the blacks are solid on the cable box for images like that, but then on the PS4 with the same settings there's dithering of the background black so its not solid. I know they're supposed to be because when I was playing on my old plasma they were.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I feel for you, I was looking at replacing my Panasonic 40" Plasma last year and looked at some nice deals on 4K LED sets hearing loads about how colours have improved from a few years ago on LED TV's. I tried a few out and had exactly the same problems in store about black or dark images being inconsistent even though I messed around with the settings in store for a while with staff, we couldn't get a standard setting to work. I never ended up getting a new set and right now hoping the OLED sets drop to a sweet spot price before mine finally dies.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    I feel for you, I was looking at replacing my Panasonic 40" Plasma last year and looked at some nice deals on 4K LED sets hearing loads about how colours have improved from a few years ago on LED TV's. I tried a few out and had exactly the same problems in store about black or dark images being inconsistent even though I messed around with the settings in store for a while with staff, we couldn't get a standard setting to work. I never ended up getting a new set and right now hoping the OLED sets drop to a sweet spot price before mine finally dies.

We're a few years away from 4k becoming the new standard anyway, so if you have a TV that is capable of 1080p, displays a nice picture, and can keep up with your video games without introducing input lag, then you're all set until the 4k revolution truly arrives.

Manufacturers are getting desperate, because consumers have caught on that all the "premium" features they keep stacking on these televisions aren't worth the marked-up price. The 3D thing hasn't really panned out, everyone hates "smart" TVs (especially since they can get it done better with a cheaper, separate, and dedicated device), local dimming is of questionable value and hard to sell (especially since it's blatantly obvious that the best use of dimming is to have a true full array, which literally multiplies the cost of the TV), and every time they try to add "more Hz" people keep seeing that stupid soap opera effect and hate it.

At this point, if they can't get you to buy a 4k TV years before you actually need one at a jacked up price, they are going to move on from curved TVs to polyhedron TVs or something.

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »

We're a few years away from 4k becoming the new standard anyway, so if you have a TV that is capable of 1080p, displays a nice picture, and can keep up with your video games without introducing input lag, then you're all set until the 4k revolution truly arrives.

Manufacturers are getting desperate, because consumers have caught on that all the "premium" features they keep stacking on these televisions aren't worth the marked-up price. The 3D thing hasn't really panned out, everyone hates "smart" TVs (especially since they can get it done better with a cheaper, separate, and dedicated device), local dimming is of questionable value and hard to sell (especially since it's blatantly obvious that the best use of dimming is to have a true full array, which literally multiplies the cost of the TV), and every time they try to add "more Hz" people keep seeing that stupid soap opera effect and hate it.

At this point, if they can't get you to buy a 4k TV years before you actually need one at a jacked up price, they are going to move on from curved TVs to polyhedron TVs or something.

Honestly, I can see why curved displays and OLED TVs are useful, with viewing angles and for better colour reproduction (basically being the proper replacement to Plasma TVs). However, I totally agree with the rest, the Hz, Smart features and to be honest some really poor 4K upscaling seen on a lot of the cheaper displays have really put me off. My Plasma is getting near to 9 years old and the colours are looking tired. Im just hoping that a good OLED Tv will arrive at an affordable price soon.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Now you all have me worried my big "dumb" DLP will fail spectacularly here soon. I love that damn thing.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Now you all have me worried my big "dumb" DLP will fail spectacularly here soon. I love that damn thing.

Well the good thing about DLPs is that they are probably the most fixable of all tv types when they break. As long as you can find parts anyway.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    My Samsung DLP has been going strong for 10 years. No fixes needed at all, not even a bulb. One of these days this thing is going to go down.

• Options
    It might not need a new bulb but, it would probably look a lot better if you got one.

And, since this is the TV thread...

It probably needs a new bulb

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular

Amazon currently has a very highly rated Vizio 40" with satellite and sub-woofer up for $220 if you have Prime. This is the new version of what was Wirecutters step up in their last round up and addressed the one big issue with inputs.

Mine is currently shipping to me so I don't know if I'll have any comment on it while it's still on sale.

Edit: Or not. I just double checked that link and it seems the deal is dead.
    Looks like Shadowfire already made his decision, but I'll post this for the benefit of anyone else with a similar question:

I recently switched from an Onkyo AVR + 5.1 speaker setup to the Vizio 40" 5.1 soundbar (2015 model). I'm pretty impressed for <$300 all in. In my multi-use living room, where I also do all my gaming and movie watching, it's a very 'low impact' way of having real surround sound. There's no receiver, the satellite speakers are small, and the wireless sub (that also powers the satellites) means no wire runs from the front of the room to the back (though the satellites DO need to plug in to the sub). The speakers are all covered in a metal grille, so there's no worry of little ones ruining them by mistake/curiosity (also a new concern for me).

I wish it had more inputs, especially for HDMI, as there's only 1 (plus an ARC in/out if your TV supports that). Right now my BD palyer gets the HDMI in, my XBO is connected via optical, and my DVR through digital coax. And I wish the remote had a backlight, as it's necessary to use without a display on the soundbar itself.

The sound is very good, considering it's a 6" sub and 2.5"/3" speaker system. With how much less equipment footprint it takes in the room, I feel like I've given up very little audio quality in return for a lot more family friendliness. The fact that this was less than $250 astounds me; for that price I'm incredibly satisfied.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    It might not need a new bulb but, it would probably look a lot better if you got one.

And, since this is the TV thread...

It probably needs a new bulb

That has crossed my mind. It is in a completely dark room in the basement so it still looks good enough for the little bit we use it. I'm mostly just waiting for it to croak completely so I can get something new.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    If you have to stay under 42 inches, the Samsung UN40J5500 is supposed to be good.

Given your specific sensitivities and requirements, you might just have to try a bunch of different sets until you find something you like, though.

Hey, thanks to your recommendation I got the exact type of TV I wanted. Thanks!

• Options
    Good to hear.

I'm personally not at all sensitive to input lag or motion stuttering, so I can't really give personal recommendations on that kind of thing. It just sounded like you wanted something with higher-level video processing, which is the big area where Vizio still lags behind Samsung.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    So I've been reading TV purchasing threads online and my head is spinning. I'm looking for something to replace my 32" Vizio (which will probably get moved into the bedroom or something when I move). I play games a lot - I don't think I've noticed input lag ever, but I could be wrong, so that's one thing that's making me nervous (that I'll spend $$$ and get something that I can't use to shoot mans in Destiny). I sometimes turn up my nose about picture quality in movies, but I'm not a "buys an HDTV calibration disc" person. Anyone have any tips? I'm willing to splurge since furniture shopping was far, far cheaper than I thought it'd be (say $1000-$1500)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    What size range?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Anyone have any opinions/impressions on Insignia vs. Toshiba? Both have 43" models at Best Buy right now for $300, and that sounds about right for my girlfriend's new apartment.

The usual "Measure the distance between where you're sitting and where the TV will be and cut the number in half" still works as a good indicator of what size to get, right?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    My gut reaction says Toshiba, but I honestly didn't know they made TVs. Equally likely that they are very similar TVs in the ways that matter.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Insignia is best buys in house brand of tv.

I'd lean towards the toshiba.

Also, I think the best way to determine screen size is, the biggest one you can afford.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Alright, here we go. My girlfriend and her sister recently moved into a new apartment and I offered to buy them a television. I was initially going for something in the ballpark of 43", but I'm thinking I'll probably move into the 48" to 50" range instead.

The "Smart" TV stuff isn't terribly important since there's dozens upon dozens of gadgets I can plug in that are capable of Netflix playback, so that's not a selling point.

Ideally I'd like to stay under $500.

These are the four I'm deciding between at the moment:

50" Sharp LC-50LB370U - $429.99

49" LG 49LF5500 - $449.99

48" Samsung UN48J5000AFXZA- $479.99

48" Vizio E48-C2 - $479.99

Thoughts on any of them?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    In the value range, I tend to be partial to Vizio but all of those are probably pretty good. It's hard to tell because no one really reviews $500 TVs :sad:

RTings says the Vizio is the best bet. The Wirecutter prefers the Sharp LC-48LE653U, but they didn't compare it to the Vizio for some reason.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Now that I've said that though, The Wirecutter has updated their $500 TV Guide, with the Vizio M43-C1 as their pick. I'd expect some good deals on this around Black Friday.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Not sure if this goes in Audophile or Here, so I'm taking a shot here first.

I have 4 items, Cable Box, BluRay player, Xbox One and a Wii that I want to plug the Video into my TV which has RCA and HDMI ports, but.. here's the interesting part. I want the sound to go to RCA inputs on my old as hell stereo. How do I accomplish this in reality, not in theory? I was looking online for a 5 port HDMI to 1 HDMI out, thinking I could then get a HDMI to RCA cable to go to the TV but can't seem to find what I need.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Your TV miiiiiight have some kind of stereo audio out on it. It's usually a 3.5mm headphone-style jack somewhere on the input panel, near an optical out for the same purpose.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Or buy a receiver/HDMI switch that has an aux out.

Shouldn't be too hard to find

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Your TV miiiiiight have some kind of stereo audio out on it. It's usually a 3.5mm headphone-style jack somewhere on the input panel, near an optical out for the same purpose.

I do have Red/White RCA outs so that'll work. Now to just pull the trigger on a 5 hdmi to 1 hdmi box as I can't make my mind up.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    So it looks like our TV is being replaced. We had the panel replaced in August and it's burned in again.

Plasma screens seem to not be available anymore, and I don't know that we would want one anyway that isn't a Panasonic. Is the Visio that people seem to like about the best we're going to get in the sub $1k range?

• Options
    So it looks like our TV is being replaced. We had the panel replaced in August and it's burned in again.

Plasma screens seem to not be available anymore, and I don't know that we would want one anyway that isn't a Panasonic. Is the Visio that people seem to like about the best we're going to get in the sub $1k range?

Vizio M series seems to be the undisputed king right now. You can get a 55" C3 (latest iteration) for under a grand. 4k, local dimming, great set overall apparently (we're likely picking up one this Christmas)

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    A honest inquiry, sages of the HDTV thread:

I've decided that, come this Black Friday or Christmas Sale or whatever sale excuse comes up, I'm going to replace my 6-year-old 35" LG HDTV with something newer, thinner, and hopefully with at least as many HDMI ports (three). Something in the 55" to 60" range, given the distance I sit from it (my apartment living room is just small enough that the couch pretty much has to be up against the wall, and that's much further than you'd want to ideally sit for a 35" HDTV).

I'm a little surprised how much 4K televisions have gone down in price, even if you do end up trapped with a "smart" TV with "smart functions" that you will "never use." But I really have no idea about 4K televisions, and I have no idea if I'd use one.

I have decently-fast internet (cable model with 60 mpbs down at least, far faster than my unlucky DSL-using friends). I have a few old consoles, the newest being an Xbox One. Obviously, most of my gaming will be at 1080p or below. I also have an arrangement where I can directly feed in video from my PC, which is equipped with a GTX 970, certainly capable of handling things at 1080p. Sometimes its fun to switch over to my living room and play a game with an Xbox One gamepad there.

Would I even use 4K? I used to think of myself as a resolution whore--I bought a 1080p HDTV when most of my friends were content with 720p or CRT (the price of living in Athens, Georgia). From what little experience I have, I'm sure I'd love watching a little Cosmos or other visual treat in 4K. But would I even ever get to do so, short of loading up some 4K Youtube on my PC and outputting it to the new TV? My digital cable package taps out at 1080p (if that). I don't think either of the new consoles do anything in 4K (obviously not gaming, but probably not streaming video either?). I might need to replace my old Monoprice cables with something I know that does 4K, but that's honestly a pretty reasonable expense.

Would it be worthwhile just for the occasional joy of Youtube or Netflix on my PC (once I got the right cable), and some degree of future proofing? Or am I better off putting that aside and taking that saved money towards a better quality image/larger screen/more badass TV overall. Is it even that much savings now? The price difference on Amazon is much less than I would have expected.

• Options
    Eh, given the price of the Vizio M series (if that's what you're going with), there's little reason NOT to go 4k.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Eh, given the price of the Vizio M series (if that's what you're going with), there's little reason NOT to go 4k.

That, or an LG, just because I was really happy with my last six years with them considering the price I paid (the only problem was that the remote sensor went bad twice, but both times it was within Best Buy's warranty). I imagine Sony Vizio's quality is higher overall though.