As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout 4] 2 Fast 2 Furious

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    After Borderlands ate my save game, I have an auto archiving program backing up my save game folder. It's the only way to be sure.

@jdarksun What program would that be?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Hah. Gamebryo has never done water stuff well. You can still ride a horse across the seas in Skyrim, even with the game fully patched.

Fallout 4 isn't on Gamebryo

its on the TotesnotGamebryo Engine™

GameFetus

or honestly it should be called War because it never changes

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Hah. Gamebryo has never done water stuff well. You can still ride a horse across the seas in Skyrim, even with the game fully patched.

Fallout 4 isn't on Gamebryo

its on the TotesnotGamebryo Engine™

GameFetus

or honestly it should be called War because it never changes

Vault-boy12.jpg

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Somewhat related to this game...but why do games always seem to come out in the middle of the week? Extremely frustrating as someone who can't take off work often. :(

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Games typically come out on tuesdays

nintendo games come out on sundays

movies come out on wed and fridays

its just how shipping/getting items into stores used to be handled. we're alot more digital now but the days have remained

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Well fuck. PC stream was going in sweet 60FPS. Yup. I gotta get it on the PC as well. Ugh.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    After Borderlands ate my save game, I have an auto archiving program backing up my save game folder. It's the only way to be sure.
    @jdarksun What program would that be?
    @Xeddicus I use FileHamster, it came up in a search when I was looking at the time and was free. Pretty easy to use, just tell it a directory to backup and a number of backups to keep. Every time a file changes - automatic backup.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Somewhat related to this game...but why do games always seem to come out in the middle of the week? Extremely frustrating as someone who can't take off work often. :(

november 24th 1992

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    nugamebryo is far less buggy than the old one

it's actually difficult to crash skyrim with most mods and new vegas by contrast will implode if you look at the monitor from the wrong angle

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »

november 24th 1992

Interesting. Thank you!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    This guy is getting his shit pushed in on Hard Mode. I wish they had found a better solution to Hard Mode beyond damage modifiers though.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »

november 24th 1992

I probably would have been perfectly willing to chalk it up to "Blizzard does all their shit on Tuesday, and everyone loves to copy Blizzard", myself.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    This guy is getting his shit pushed in on Hard Mode. I wish they had found a better solution to Hard Mode beyond damage modifiers though.

I wish they had a STALKER/Metro 2033 Ranger Mode.

High lethality, low hp for everyone including you. NPCs do appear to take cover from a stream I was watching

• Options
    ManOHokutoManOHokuto Knight of the Bloody Fist Registered User regular
    Off topic fantasy: I really hope after shenmue 3 comes out sony approaches yu suzuki and says "hey man we'll put up the money for you to make virtua fighter 6 as long it's not on xbone" and it comes out and is fun to play.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular

It is forever the bane of combat RPGs, and many genres frankly. HP bloat is one of the sure-fire means of increasing difficulty. Borderlands becomes unplayable due to this IMO, which is a shame because you need levels unlock abilities that are actually fun.

Occasionally a game will have difficulty that entails making enemies smarter, more reactive, or just generally more on the ball. Bethesda combat AI doesn't scale, it just is, so that's out.

So you end up with many games going with HP bloat. And it's not fun, no.

I think the Metro games have the best difficulty curve. At low difficulties ammo is plentiful, but both you and enemies need a lot of bullets to die. Engagements are longer and therefore forgive moment-to-moment miss-steps. On higher difficulties ammo becomes scarce and everything, including both you AND enemies, die much faster. But you have less ammo. So make shots count and don't make any mistakes. Gameplay is fast and brutal. I beat it first on Easy actually, and then Hard/Ranger and found Hard way better, as well as obviously more challenging.

Like other than damage and HP bloat I have no idea how to make a Fallout game more difficult. AI is a bust. Ammo scarcity? Force players into melee, which becomes just as OP as guns can so its not like that really helps.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I would have preferred the harder modes to simply incorporate more of the hardcore settings of New Vegas than simply do the damage resistance increases they decided on. At least you have a better chance of finding legendary weapons on them.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think the idea of making you more vulnerable as well as enemies is a good one, it would still be a herculean task to balance in a game with as much weapon, enemy and encounter variety as Fallout, but its possible

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    with the way that enemy levels are setup in fo4 with the "rubberbanding" based up zone, ie. each zone has a set level range. then difficulty levels should just be modifier on that scaling. like easy is -5, hard+5.

so then if your playing on harder difficulty your getting more deadly enemies earlier, so instead of pistol raiders, your seeing say shotgun/assault rifle raiders.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I always have adored the creature design from fallout 3 and skyrim so this article was so bittersweet

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/11/the-life-and-creativity-of-a-great-bethesda-artist/

Prohass on
  • Options
    Oh my god. The guy is in a
    Chef Boyarde
    helmet.

Also the game seems to be running pretty well on a 960/2GB.

And CHM Intimidation Perk
    has specific dialog for the type of enemy. "Stop. human is friend" the guy says to Super Mutants.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Chef Boyarde
    helmet.

has specific dialog for the type of enemy. "Stop. human is friend" the guy says to Super Mutants.
    He keeps calming the Super Mutants, then immediately shooting them, which just makes them hostile again. What's the point of even taking the perk if you're going to do that?

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    nugamebryo is far less buggy than the old one

it's actually difficult to crash skyrim with most mods and new vegas by contrast will implode if you look at the monitor from the wrong angle

You and I have very different experiences playing modded skyrim.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chef Boyarde
    helmet.

He keeps calming the Super Mutants, then immediately shooting them, which just makes them hostile again. What's the point of even taking the perk if you're going to do that?

We've mentioned people are idiots who early stream...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    btw. is there something along the lines of NV's hardcore mode? You know, the whole food and drink survival spiel?

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    So is it not a global release at the same time?

No, it's midnight local time. So New Zealand gets it first, as its Tuesday first there.

North America may work differently, if on of its timezones is the 'real' launch time.

I'm in the UK so if I trick my PC into thinking it lives in New Zealand, I can play 12 hours earlier.

Mind you, I won't be home from work until 7pm at the earliest, or later if I do some shopping to stock up of food for the next 72 hours.

Mental note - buy fruit, not just beer and pizza...

I assume by a VPN...does that trick steam? I thought your actual location was saved and could only be changed every few months...maybe that's a different service for games, there's quite a few.

It redirects your IP via the country in question, so your PC tells steam your computer is physically in that country, hence local Steam.

Using this to buy cheap games is a bannable offence, but not to unlock games you've already bought locally.

I have heard that this CAN be a bannable offence, but they haven't banned anyone for it yet. Are people gonna do this? When's the earliest you can? I obviously want to play asap but don't want to lose my Steam account.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    btw. is there something along the lines of NV's hardcore mode? You know, the whole food and drink survival spiel?

Nope.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote:
    I always have adored the creature design from fallout 3 and skyrim so this article was so bittersweet

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/11/the-life-and-creativity-of-a-great-bethesda-artist/

Man, after reading that you really appreciate just how much passion and work these folks put into the stuff we play.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Has anybody checked if bobbleheads still cap at 10?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Why did nobody tell me that the .45 auto submachine gun was this awesome?

Oh, Mr. Caesar - have you met my friend, Mr. Thompson? He's from Chicago.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Making enemies deal more damage is less boring than making enemies take less damage. At least it doesn't drag everything out.

But it's fun to have some enemies that don't just fall over when you look at them, too.

Weapons.
    Huh. There's syringe-based ammo?

And
    S0mx8ju.png.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    As I'm mot petriculalrly fond damage sponge enemies I like when lethality is enhanced. I'd rather have low hp and the bad guys too. Make people drop in a couple shots.

I just had shivers of that boa fly in old world blues..

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I'd be up for more frailty if Fallout had a decent cover system but playing the Dust mod (where everything can practically kill you in 1-3 hits and vice versa) just makes me think its a bad idea.

Don't think it works particularly well with the current combat style of the series.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Any word on when console pre-loading starts?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm going to start on hard just to test it out.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm going to start on hard just to test it out.
    Are there difficulty level achievements?

• Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    For those watching the streams, how does the PS4 version look?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Kadoken wrote: »

I wish they had a STALKER/Metro 2033 Ranger Mode.

High lethality, low hp for everyone including you. NPCs do appear to take cover from a stream I was watching

Yeah, I liked how Stalker did it - damage modifiers for difficulty level works both ways.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I did like the way Mass Effect 2/3 did it.

As enemies got more powerful their resistances got stronger and taking them out in a quick manner involved proper use of skills.

That said ME is also a party based game so you can cover all your bases.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    But we're pretty much guaranteed to get mods that make difficulty overhauls anyway. And a ton of "realism" mods.

I actually liked adding a handful of those to Skyrim, living off the land.

• Options
    Skyrim had mods adding dodging and stuff.

This discussion has been closed.