Options

Red vs Blue: [Republican Primary] Edition

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    DevKimiko wrote: »

That's like...the political version of the Home for Infinite Losers. Or "ascending to a higher plane."

It's just...bravo, CNN. Bravo.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DevKimikoDevKimiko Registered User regular
    What is the context here? Is it the tweet on violence statistics?
    I honestly wish I knew actually so CNN could maybe redeem themselves, but I haven't seen them outside these tweets.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    That's an edited image, right? Right?

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Yes, Donald Trump does transcend the truth. Next question.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Trump vs. Clinton, the first shots:
    Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump is calling out Hillary Clinton for supporting a protective border wall around Israel while also opposing a protective wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“It is clear that the former Senator from New York and former Secretary of State has had a change of heart when it comes to walls and securing borders,” Trump tells Breitbart News.

“She supported a wall for Israel when it was politically expedient,” he said. “Now, she is for open-borders and flooding the country with unvetted refugees from countries that are exporting terrorism.”

“It’s bad enough that she lied to the American people about Benghazi, but now she wants to pander to those who might jeopardize our very homeland security,” he said. “This is hypocrisy at the highest level.”

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I'm kinda stymied why Trump is going so hard on the disprovable BS when it's not going to do anything for a base that's already in the bag.

Everyone who isn't a nutbag is over the Benghazi witch hunt and isn't enticed by racist pandering, and everyone who is already agrees with Trump.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I'm kinda stymied why Trump is going so hard on the disprovable BS when it's not going to do anything for a base that's already in the bag.

Everyone who isn't a nutbag is over the Benghazi witch hunt and isn't enticed by racist pandering, and everyone who is already agrees with Trump.

It's because he doesn't have anything unique to say. He's just the dumb of the GOP given form.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Because he needs to keep them in the bag.
    Or he might lose them to other condidates going hard for easily disprovable shit, that GOP primary voters believe anyway.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Ben Carson, who wrote a book about Thomas Jefferson just very recently, went on C-Span to extol the authorship of Jefferson's Constitution.

Jefferson, during the drafting of the constitution, was fairly busy as an envoy in France at the time.

Look have you ever seen Madison and Jefferson in the same room at the same time?

latest?cb=20141210105810 "Well, since you asked..."

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    On Candidates for Public Office

I would like to see more physicians, scientists, engineers serving in public office because they are taught to make decisions based on evidence as opposed to on ideology.

And we have so many ideologues now, and it makes it very difficult to get things done because an ideologue will just assume that their belief is correct.

There's no way he said this. There's no FUCKING way, there isn't enough potential cognitive dissonance in the WORRRRRRRRLD TO COVER THIS STATEMENT!

He then follows it up by saying that we should inject politics into the vaccine schedule (which is out together by doctors) because the experts don't mnow everything! It is frankly staggering

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Like, I dunno.

Is there some kind of WHMS-relevant chemical that Dr. Carson inhales on a daily basis while being a brain surgeon that, like, maybe fucked up his brain?

I have to admit that it's kind of difficult to reconcile his CV & vocational record with the stuff that comes out of his mouth.

It's tempting to say that maybe he just does it for show on the campaign... but there he is, on an advertising campaign for snake oil, saying more or less exactly the same shit many years before this presidential bid.

I know that being 'smart' doesn't mean anything... but give me a break. He's an actual brain surgeon. He works on brains, with success.

FFFFFFfffffffffffffffffff

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Trump wants to treat Clinton like his current opponent because if people start buying that it means that the primary is basically over.

Plus, Clinton bashing is a pretty good way to maintain support for Republicans.

And beating up on anyone else in the primary means less potential to pick up their voters when they drop out.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    And beating up on anyone else in the primary means less potential to pick up their voters when they drop out.

Common wisdom says that, but Trump just got a bunch of points out of Carson's hide after attacking him.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    It's tempting to say that maybe he just does it for show on the campaign... but there he is, on an advertising campaign for snake oil, saying more or less exactly the same shit many years before this presidential bid.

He reeks of the kind of person that's been surrounded by yes men too long. But with the Mannatech stuff, at least to me, it seems like nothing more than a sweet opportunity to scam some money off of the desperate and the foolish. (And he also claimed Mannatech donated to his John Hopkins chair before recently saying they didn't.) It's in the same vein of how he's been fleecing evangelicals forever.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I wish so badly that we lived in a universe where false equivalences like that didn't land, but it probably will.

He might as well have just called her a hypocrite for living in a house that has walls.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    “She supported a wall for Israel when it was politically expedient,” he said. “Now, she is for open-borders and flooding the country with unvetted refugees from countries that are exporting terrorism.”

I don't think Trump understands what any of those words mean.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Based on the past couple months, I'm pretty sure he knows the word "Wall" at least!

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    Like, I dunno.

Is there some kind of WHMS-relevant chemical that Dr. Carson inhales on a daily basis while being a brain surgeon that, like, maybe fucked up his brain?

I have to admit that it's kind of difficult to reconcile his CV & vocational record with the stuff that comes out of his mouth.

I know that being 'smart' doesn't mean anything... but give me a break. He's an actual brain surgeon. He works on brains, with success.

FFFFFFfffffffffffffffffff

How are you liking the insight into the medical profession

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Based on the past couple months, I'm pretty sure he knows the word "Wall" at least!

Maybe he thinks she didn't go far enough with the wall support.

Sure, she was in favor of it when it just meant puny sandbags & impotent checkpoints... but where's the passion? Where's the call for 20' tall solid steel Walls to protect Israeli interests all up and across the Gaza Strip?

Anything less is obviously just equivalent to an open border la dee dah flower power policy.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hillary didn't even call Palestinians a bunch of murderers and rapists.

Mediocre.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    On the safety of football:

WSJ: This is the opening weekend of the NFL season. From a brain surgeon’s perspective, is football safe?

Mr. Carson: The human body was not made for that type of abuse, there’s no question about that. But do human beings love to see carnage, yes. They always have and they always will. So that may be one of the safer forms of carnage to satisfy the human desire.

WSJ: Did your sons play?

Mr. Carson: No. One of my sons wanted to wrestle and my wife went to a couple of matches and she said, “Nope!”

WSJ: Would you recommend other parents keep their sons out of football?

Mr. Carson: No, not at all. It’s part of our culture. And the same thing with boxing. It’s part of our culture. I don’t particularly like the idea of people getting their brains pounded and a large number of people in the professional boxing arena end up with brain damage and if that were animals the humane society would be all over you, but we do allow it. And hopefully we’ll find safer ways to allow it to be done.

Ben Carson, Actual Brain Doctor, says contact sports are dangerous and abusive but, hey, fuck it, they're pretty cool to watch, right?

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Those answers don't actually seem that unreasonable? The wording for the carnage stuff is kind of weird and off putting I guess

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I mean it's kind of obvious he is trying not to offend / offput football fans by saying "this sport is barbaric and should not be allowed" and he might not even believe that it should be banned. He might believe that since the people playing football, or stepping into the boxing ring, do so willingly that everything is fine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Trump: Not only enthusiastic about bringing back torture, but ready and willing to do it just to be a dick. Rather astounding, this. He's taken yet another step down the road toward real fascism.

• Options
    Actually many neurosurgeons would say that football gets a bad brain injury rap for a sport that has protective headgear

Now football, on the other hand

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Trump: Not only enthusiastic about bringing back torture, but ready and willing to do it just to be a dick. Rather astounding, this. He's taken yet another step down the road toward real fascism.

Nah, he's just expressing what alot of people really think. He's not taking a step anywhere, he's just publicly declaring "We all know we're already here".

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    shryke wrote: »

Nah, he's just expressing what alot of people really think. He's not taking a step anywhere, he's just publicly declaring "We all know we're already here".

I don't think he's saying anything that radical either. Surveillance of mosques and Muslim groups has gone on for a long time in NYC, and the US has a pretty strong history of seeking retribution for retribution's sake.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I don't think he's saying anything that radical either. Surveillance of mosques and Muslim groups has gone on for a long time in NYC, and the US has a pretty strong history of seeking retribution for retribution's sake.

...wait, you're using the NYPD Demographic Unit (which not only surveiled mosques within the 5 boroughs, but over a number of states) as justification for this?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

...wait, you're using the NYPD Demographic Unit (which not only surveiled mosques within the 5 boroughs, but over a number of states) as justification for this?

Let's hold on a sec because SKFM's post does not say he approves of the behaviour. It simply says it's not radical or unheard of. Which it isn't.

Whatever you wanna say about Trump's rhetoric, it's not unheard of or unpopular with alot of people.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    yeah, SKFM has a habit of posting things, not necessarily with an intent to endorse, but to say "this is just how things are". We might wish they were not so, might say that it is wrong that they are so, and some might even work to change them... but for now at least, that's the stark, unpalatable reality.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Those answers don't actually seem that unreasonable? The wording for the carnage stuff is kind of weird and off putting I guess
    He's speaking as a politician here, not a doctor. And nobody in America ever got elected on a platform of "fuck football".

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Yes, he's saying that because it's their bodies, it's their choice, and we, and the government, do not have the right to make that decision for them.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Yes, he's saying that because it's their bodies, it's their choice, and we, and the government, do not have the right to make that decision for them.

Unless they're women. Apparently.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

It's because he doesn't have anything unique to say. He's just the dumb of the GOP given form.

he really is a youtube comment come to life

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    God, it feels like Rand Paul is consistently the least crazy person in this primary.

Well, besides Jim Gilmore, who has 8 supporters.

Agreed, Paul is probably the most consistent with not-crazy talk.

He's still unfit, but he's far from the worst choice in this field.

Probably why he doesn't have more support.

The hate the Fed goldbug nonsense has become a giant albatross for Libertarians.

That and the strong strain of white supremacy

I wouldn't say that's done them harm.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    On Candidates for Public Office

I would like to see more physicians, scientists, engineers serving in public office because they are taught to make decisions based on evidence as opposed to on ideology.

And we have so many ideologues now, and it makes it very difficult to get things done because an ideologue will just assume that their belief is correct.

There's no way he said this. There's no FUCKING way, there isn't enough potential cognitive dissonance in the WORRRRRRRRLD TO COVER THIS STATEMENT!

I know I'm late to this party, but I'm not very good at photoshop//making meme pictures.

Could someone make me an meme with this quote over one of the people from the commercials from that jet website, or whatever? I need more ammunition for facebook. I'd be super appreciative!

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Actually many neurosurgeons would say that football gets a bad brain injury rap for a sport that has protective headgear

I do not believe that is the case. Professionals in the neuroscience field have spent a lot of time and effort convincing people that constant harm to the brain is a bad thing.

I could maybe buy that surgeons in particular don't care as much because they're not required to look at the big picture and individual events aren't usually spectacular in the sport.

But both soccer and football have been under a lot of scrutiny for unnecessarily destroying the lives of players due to a policy of ignoring the effects of the sport on the brain.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    yeah, SFKM has a habit of posting things, not necessarily with an intent to endorse, but to say "this is just how things are". We might wish they were not so, might say that it is wrong that they are so, and some might even work to change them... but for now at least, that's the stark, unpalatable reality.

Exactly. This is not a step towards fascism. It's just a public endorsement of things we already do. Saying he wants surveillance of mosques and to engage in quasi torture regardless of what the statistics say on its effectiveness in intelligence gathering is just continuing the status quo or rewinding things back a few years.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    yes but BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, TACKLES FOR THE TACKLE THRONE

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »

I do not believe that is the case. Professionals in the neuroscience field have spent a lot of time and effort convincing people that constant harm to the brain is a bad thing.

I could maybe buy that surgeons in particular don't care as much because they're not required to look at the big picture and individual events aren't usually spectacular in the sport.

But both soccer and football have been under a lot of scrutiny for unnecessarily destroying the lives of players due to a policy of ignoring the effects of the sport on the brain.

Soccer? Why, because of headers?

This discussion has been closed.