As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red vs Blue: [Republican Primary] Edition

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/torture-becoming-key-campaign-issue-gop-candidates

“And I would approve more than that. Don’t kid yourself, folks. It works, okay? It works. Only a stupid person would say it doesn’t work.”

Trump said such techniques are needed to confront terrorists who “chop off our young people’s heads” and “build these iron cages, and they’ll put 20 people in them and they drop them in the ocean for 15 minutes and pull them up 15 minutes later.”

“It works,” Trump said over and over again. “Believe me, it works. And you know what? If it doesn’t work, they deserve it anyway, for what they’re doing.”

This is the leading contender for the GOP saying america should make people suffer because of crimes they have committed. And the worst part is, he is not alone in his party with these beliefs. THIS PARTY CONTROLS MOST OF OUR GOVERNMENT!

Wow. Even W.'s administration tried to justify it by saying it worked and pretending to care about it being a last resort via Jack Bauer ticking clock. :(

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Every single town in America has its own "Muslims were celebrating 9/11" urban legend.

The local variation here was that a local restaurant had employees celebrating it. The owner had to give a statement to the local news that the store where it supposedly took place at was not even open at the time nor were there any employees on-site.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    What ocean, Trumpy?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    What ocean, Trumpy?

That claim just doesn't make sense to me, unless some passage of the Quran specifically calls for some type of offender to be drowned.

Considering the effort and materials required to fabricate a cage, then some system to immerse it and then pull it back up; compared to simply shooting them or decapitating.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    This is it.

We've reached the point where there's nothing so offensive the republican base won't eat it up.

The leading candidate for their nomination is actively, belligerently espousing torture for people who might be innocent, but they're brown so fuck 'em.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    What ocean, Trumpy?

That claim just doesn't make sense to me, unless some passage of the Quran specifically calls for some type of offender to be drowned.

Considering the effort and materials required to fabricate a cage, then some system to immerse it and then pull it back up; compared to simply shooting them or decapitating.

No; he means that the U.S. government should be building said cages and using them for dunking. Even if it does nothing productive, because fuck it I guess, why not have some sadistic fun at the expense of the unsympathetic?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    What ocean, Trumpy?

No; he means that the U.S. government should be building said cages and using them for dunking. Even if it does nothing productive, because fuck it I guess, why not have some sadistic fun at the expense of the unsympathetic?

that's how i read it at first too, but nope. here's the quote:
    Trump said such techniques are needed to confront terrorists who “chop off our young people’s heads” and “build these iron cages, and they’ll put 20 people in them and they drop them in the ocean for 15 minutes and pull them up 15 minutes later.”

he's attributing these dunkings* and beheadings to the same people.

*which i'm sure don't happen.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Well no, they have actually built cages and done those exact things. Just dumping people into pools of water and drowning them. Or burning them in the cage too. I've seen the IS propaganda videos depicting those things. Its just odd that of all things Trump goes with the Ocean, I guess cause its the biggest.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm sure if people were being forcibly drowned we'd hear about it. Only drownings I've heard of recently have been the refugees drowning trying to escape syria. The same people Trump finds sub human.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3135913/Sickening-new-ISIS-video-shows-caged-prisoners-lowered-swimming-pool-drowned-shot-RPG-blown-explosive-filled-necklaces.html

I'd give Trump a "Half True" on the Politifact scale.
    The statement is partially accurate but leaves out important details or takes things out of context.

Maybe a "Mostly False"
    The statement contains some element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression.
    But I think that while there are differences and he is obviously not being accurate, the reality doesn't really change the impression.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    fair enough, i'll concede that caged drownings are a thing. :(

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/11/16/hardball-questions-for-the-next-debate/

I really want to hear more about this Sword of Chang.

Here you go!

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    This crap boggles my mind.

I'm from NJ.

If this crap actually happened the common knowledge wouldn't just be about the Muslims celebrating, it would be about them getting murdered on the fucking streets afterwards.

This was supposed to have happened in PATERSON for chrissakes.

But apparently not.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

lol

Okay, G.W. Senior, you get a :+1: for today.

That story is brilliant.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I actually have played Trump: The Game! It's kind of not awful, somehow. In fact, my cousin and I had a lot of fun playing the game (that we got on clearance for a pittance) in like 1990-1991.

The card really should have been called The Trump Card, though. It's just so blindingly obvious (and I want to say we called it that anyway, but man that was a long time ago).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Fiorina's question is pretty great.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    how the fuck was ted cruz ever considered the best debater in the country

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Because he was a master debater in college.

And people think high school/collegiate debating is just like political debates.

• Options
    also goddamn these are some great fucking questions

• Options

And people think high school/collegiate debating is just like political debates.

I mean, I know they have very little to do with each other

I'm talking more about, say, literally any time he has had to lay out an argument in public, ever

this is the dude who publicly misunderstood green eggs and ham

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

I'm talking more about, say, literally any time he has had to lay out an argument in public, ever

He says he was a champion debater or something. People just believe for some reason.

• Options
    oh wait it seems he was good at parliamentary debate, which is just bullshit artistry

okay that makes sense

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

That if you harrass someone for long enough, they'll eventually give in?

I thought that was a pretty standard part of their playbook.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    This is it.

We've reached the point where there's nothing so offensive the republican base won't eat it up.

The leading candidate for their nomination is actively, belligerently espousing torture for people who might be innocent, but they're brown so fuck 'em.
    Lanz wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    As long as there is an Other to fear, the people will not question our policies, as long as our policies are presented as a way to protect them from the Other.

Well. . .

Winter is coming.

Reminds me of something more chilling
    ‘And remember that it is for ever. The face will always be there to be stamped upon. The heretic, the enemy of society, will always be there, so that he can be defeated and humiliated over again. Everything that you have undergone since you have been in our hands — all that will continue, and worse. The espionage, the betrayals, the arrests, the tortures, the executions, the disappearances will never cease. It will be a world of terror as much as a world of triumph. The more the Party is powerful, the less it will be tolerant: the weaker the opposition, the tighter the despotism. Goldstein and his heresies will live for ever. Every day, at every moment, they will be defeated, discredited, ridiculed, spat upon and yet they will always survive. This drama that I have played out with you during seven years will be played out over and over again generation after generation, always in subtler forms. Always we shall have the heretic here at our mercy, screaming with pain, broken up, contemptible — and in the end utterly penitent, saved from himself, crawling to our feet of his own accord. That is the world that we are preparing, Winston. A world of victory after victory, triumph after triumph after triumph: an endless pressing, pressing, pressing upon the nerve of power. You are beginning, I can see, to realize what that world will be like. But in the end you will do more than understand it. You will accept it, welcome it, become part of it.’

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

To Carly Fiorina: As an admirer of the Ottoman Empire, you’d be in a uniquely good position to import some of the advantages of the millet system into the modern Western world. Obviously this would be complicated given all the conflicting identity claims and the close quarters in which everyone is intermingled, but there are already some visions of what it could look like – including my own Archipelago – and if it were raised to the level of a national discussion, people could no doubt come up with many more.

So my question for you is – weren’t you a pretty crappy CEO?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The Ben Carson one is fucking horrifying.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    and thankfully not true from a neurology perspective
    severing the corpus callosum doesn't cause half your consciousness to disappear

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

lol

Okay, G.W. Senior, you get a :+1: for today.

That story is brilliant.

Bush the Greater doesn't get enough credit. He was one of the best post-war Presidents. Same with Carter.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »
    Bush the Greater doesn't get enough credit. He was one of the best post-war Presidents.

I know I've said that history will be kinder to him in the long run, but this might be pushing it.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bush the Greater doesn't get enough credit. He was one of the best post-war Presidents.

I know I've said that history will be kinder to him in the long run, but this might be pushing it.

Yeah best post war presidents is pushing it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Ike is responsible for most of our foreign policy establishment's fucked-upness.
    Kennedy didn't really get to accomplish much before the bullet, so I always default to just sort of grouping him in with LBJ.
    LBJ is the greatest post-war President so far.
    Nixon is Nixon.
    Ford didn't do a whole lot, plus...Nixon
    Carter is someone I consider a great President. Peace in the Middle East, legalizing craft beer, and letting Volcker fix the economy even though it meant he was probably going to lose the second term.
    Reagan is Reagan.
    Bush the Greater basically saved Reagan's ass (which is why he should get the runway crumple zone at DCA named after him), managed the collapse of the Soviet Union while avoiding both a Third World War or runaway fissile material. Broke his campaign promises in order to be responsible, and arguably setting up some of the 90's boom, which likely cost him the second term.
    Clinton was, to me, good but not great. If it weren't for the impeachment he'd be one of the President's you skim over in high school history.
    Bush the Lesser is Bush the Lesser.
    Obama is the only one who can give LBJ a run for his money.

Yeah, I'd say Bush the Greater is tied with Carter at 3 out of 11.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

"The connection between the transfer of the sword and the sudden switch in both your fortunes is so striking that even the Huffington Post, not normally a source for magic-sword-related journalism, wrote about it" is just the best sentence I've read in quite some time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Ike is responsible for most of our foreign policy establishment's fucked-upness.
    Kennedy didn't really get to accomplish much before the bullet, so I always default to just sort of grouping him in with LBJ.
    Nixon is Nixon.
    Carter is someone I consider a great President. Peace in the Middle East, legalizing craft beer, and letting Volcker fix the economy even though it meant he was probably going to lose the second term.
    Reagan is Reagan.
    Bush the Greater basically saved Reagan's ass (which is why he should get the runway crumple zone at DCA named after him), managed the collapse of the Soviet Union while avoiding both a Third World War or runaway fissile material. Broke his campaign promises in order to be responsible, and arguably setting up some of the 90's boom, which likely cost him the second term.
    Clinton was, to me, good but not great. If it weren't for the impeachment he'd be one of the President's you skim over in high school history.

Yes, if you ignore that whole "up to his neck in subverting Congress explicitly telling the Executive to not fund Latin American death squads, then pardoned everyone to save his neck" thing.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

Nixon is Nixon.
    Reagan is Reagan.

Yes, if you ignore that whole "up to his neck in subverting Congress explicitly telling the Executive to not fund Latin American death squads, then pardoned everyone to save his neck" thing.

Ehhh, American foreign policy has been shady since Eisenhower. Oh sure, lets overthrow Iran, that will end well. Fuck if you really want to trace it back you have to go to Wilson. Maybe earlier.

I can't think of a single President since (maybe Carter) that did not get neck deep into some shady ass shit.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Ah yes, the fabled sword of General Chang, who held on to conservative values and opposed peace between China and the Federation. He could not handle the idea of old enemies becoming friends. He assassinated the Emperor of China to sabotage the negotiations with the Federation and later died in the plot to assassinate Captain Kirk. He is remembered for his fondness for quoting Shakespeare in its original Chinese.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular

Ah yes, the fabled sword of General Chang, who held on to conservative values and opposed peace between China and the Federation. He could not handle the idea of old enemies becoming friends. He assassinated the Emperor of China to sabotage the negotiations with the Federation and later died in the plot to assassinate Captain Kirk. He is remembered for his fondness for quoting Shakespeare in its original Chinese.

Whut

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »

Whut

It was rumored that Deforest Kelley would have paid good money if he would shut up.

General Chang did talk a lot.

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »

Nixon is Nixon.
    Reagan is Reagan.

Ehhh, American foreign policy has been shady since Eisenhower. Oh sure, lets overthrow Iran, that will end well. Fuck if you really want to trace it back you have to go to Wilson. Maybe earlier.

I can't think of a single President since (maybe Carter) that did not get neck deep into some shady ass shit.

Iran-Contra went far beyond that, though. The Executive told Congress to go get fucked after Congress (over an Executive veto) passed a law prohibiting funds to be sent to right wing paramilitary groups in Latin America, due to that whole "death squad" thing. It was a blow to how our system of governance works, and Bush 41 was involved in covering it up, most notably in his act of pardoning all major individuals involved with the matter on Christmas Eve of 1992.

This discussion has been closed.