Options

PWG puts on best show of the year, surprising no one [WRESTLING]

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    there's a tremendous amount of difference between being black and not being white

Just to be clear I've never bought the idea of Vince being racist.

He's a petty, insecure, vindictive bully who's insensitive to stereotypes. But if he thinks you can make him money he'll get behind you.

AustinTEgivesup.gif

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    to be fair the comic feuds are dope

agreed and the art's amazing

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    also the idea that vince isn't racist because he is willing to make money off of black people is laughable

there is a long history of white men exploiting black people for profit

He exploits everyone.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Brockle Snar is being advertised for January 11th's Raw

Ugh

God dammit please do not do Brock winning the Rumble and fighting Roman at Mania again

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

oh my gosh

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    also the idea that vince isn't racist because he is willing to make money off of black people is laughable

He exploits everyone.

that doesn't mean he isn't racist

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm currently in the mindset of "fuck raw, call up no one"
    But then we have situations like Adrian Neville having jack shit to do in NXT for like 4 months except fight Kevin Owens one time

and now he has jack shit to do on raw except fight stardust a couple of times

I refuse to believe Vince will look at Crews and say "I don't see anything in him".

He can't be that far gone.

I saw you quote this and was reminded of that time you thought Neville wouldn't be MIghty Mouse or a comic character when he was called up

And then they gave him a cape, had him fly in his entrance, 1341093-ptmm71.jpgAdrian-Neville-Entrance-Awesome.jpg and then had him do literal comic feuds complete with art

The super hero thing was never in question, the Mighty Mouse part was made up and fed to Reddit.

• Options

He exploits everyone.
    This is like South Park saying they aren't offensive because they equally go after everyone

A) it isn't true and B) being exploitative of everyone doesn't mean that you aren't also exploitative and demeaning to specific ethnicities and cultures

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    If everyone here thinks he's racist I won't argue.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

He exploits everyone.

that doesn't mean he isn't racist

I'm of the opinion that you can't do stuff like the HHH/Booker angle and get the benefit of the doubt

• Options
    Crews is also not that short.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Vince cares mainly about crowd reaction leading to t-shirt sales

it's not that complicated

• Options
    Xehalus wrote: »

If this was true we would have a very different line up of people fighting for the belt

Like Roman has a sizable amount of fans

But Ambrose is way more popular at almost every show and Cesaro got some pretty consistently huge reactions for a while before being shoved into the midcard and dragged out again for the tournaments

Crowd reaction don't mean shit until it's the very last moment judging from the past two Wrestlemanias

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

He might let her kick out of the Pedigree, but only because he's scared of what will happen if he didn't.
    She'd cry adorably.
    And then feed him his sledgehammer.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »

If this was true we would have a very different line up of people fighting for the belt

Like Roman has a sizable amount of fans

But Ambrose is way more popular at almost every show and Cesaro got some pretty consistently huge reactions for a while before being shoved into the midcard and dragged out again for the tournaments

Crowd reaction don't mean shit until it's the very last moment judging from the past two Wrestlemanias

and going back into the annals of history, you can look at how he kept pushing hogan in the early 90s even though the crowds were very clearly sick of hogan

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFSEPBCXaeo

this is like watching an alternate reality

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Vince can equally exploit everyone and still be racist.

Conversely, he can also simply be incredibly racially insensitive and/or ignorant and not be a racist.

However, as we usually come back around to in this thread, none of us actually know him. So, either way, we can't really pinpoint which he is.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    I don't think the distinction between "racist" and "racially insensitive" is very large or important

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

oh my gosh

As as side note here, my grandmother thinks all of the New Day Members are fine individually (she liked Big E as IC champ and really loved Xavier during the ESPN special, talking about going to school and all that) but she's always hated the New Day. She always tries to get up to make a snack or something when they're on.

I, of course, pause it and make sure she has to watch everything once she gets back.

Every time E starts dancing she groans and pleads with him to please stop doing that. Literally every time. It is hilarious.

She still loves Dean Ambrose, though.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I feel way more comfortable calling the WWE and Vince and whoever for racist/sexist things they've actually done than for things they might do in the future

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    Then you and I see those terms in a very different way.

For example, a racially insensitive person thinks saying the N-word on TV is ok not because "fuck black people", but because they imagine it to be edgy.

I think there is a world of difference between ignorance and hatred. One needs education. The other doesn't give a shit about your education or your opinions.

These two people can still end up saying and doing some of the same things, but I think the mindsets are distinct.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Then you and I see those terms in a very different way.

For example, a racially insensitive person thinks saying the N-word on TV is ok not because "fuck black people", but because they imagine it to be edgy.

I think there is a world of difference between ignorance and hatred. One needs education. The other doesn't give a shit about your education or your opinions.

These two people can still end up saying and doing some of the same things, but I think the mindsets are distinct.

So here's the thing

"Fuck black people" is not the sum total of all the possible ways to be racist

Turns out you can believe black people are totally fine and equal to white people and still do racist things!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Intent doesn't really matter when you're talking about the impact an act actually has on someone.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Intent doesn't really matter when you're talking about the impact an act actually has on someone.
    Stilts wrote: »
    Turns out you can believe black people are totally fine and equal to white people and still do racist things!

"These two people can still end up saying and doing some of the same things, but I think the mindsets are distinct."

I pretty blatantly said that there isn't a difference in the end result. Ignorant racism and intentional racism are both still racism and are both still wrong in the end. I'm only talking about mindset, which again, I blatantly stated.

I don't need you to re-state my points and throw a dash of unnecessary sarcasm on top when I simply read a couple of phrases differently than you. But thanks for doing that, anyway. It was totally awesome.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    holy moly, asuka is a policenauts fan AND an RDR fan????????/

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Anyway, racism is dumb bullshit. We can all agree on that.

I just hope WWE isn't planning on pushing out anything else with Reid this evening, considering Ric will be in attendance.

Let's not do that, ok?

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2015/11/30/9817332/ric-flair-wwe-raw-tonight-pittsburgh-report

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    Mick Foley wrote:
    WWE is at a real crossroads. Allow me to paraphrase Albert Einstein, who said "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results". Wrestling historians can argue about when the ‪#‎AttitudeEra‬ in wrestling officially began. But for me, it will always be at a meeting called by Mr McMahon in the Spring of 1997, where he admitted that what had worked for them for so long in the past (I interpreted that to mean one-dimensional characters that tended to be job-related) was no longer working, and that if they were going to survive, the wrestlers themselves were going to have to step up, and help create those dimensions that would establish the emotional bond between the wrestlers and the fans - part of the lifeblood of professional wrestling.

Today's WWE Superstars (I'm including the women here, since the term "Diva" had its time, and that time is done) are at a distinct disadvantage in some ways. They can't flip birds, and use the colorful language. They can't bleed - even when the situation seems ripe for it. Man, Roman Reigns's life would be so much easier if he could survive vicious assaults the way guys in my era did. But all the blood, the language and the violence paled in comparison to the real secret weapon of the Attitude Era; the FREEDOM TO CREATE...THE FREEDOM TO TRY...THE FREEDOM TO FAIL - the idea that going down swinging (I hope I'm not losing you guys in all the non-baseball playing countries) was almost as important as hitting the ball out of the park - as long as you took your best swings. There's a difference between playing to win, and playing not to lose: one breeds confidence, the other breeds fear.It's the difference between cutting the type of promos Stone Cold Steve Austin and Dwayne The Rock Johnson gave, and the cookie-cutter approach all too often employed these days by WWE creative. One style allowed for creativity and emotion. The other calls for memorization and recitation.

I hope I don't sound like I'm picking on WWE. There is a big part of me that loves this company, and always will. Why else would I be up at 4:15 am, writing things that are likely to banish me deeper and deeper into the WWE doghouse? One of my favorite wrestlers proposed a storyline that would allow me a four of five week storyline that would allow me to dig in deep, and swing for the fences - and in the process, maybe advance a few of the super-talented but underutilized athletes on the roster. I would love to do it....but I doubt it's going to happen. After all, I might want to do something crazy like go out there without a script, and try to create some real emotion - in other words, the type of thing that saved WWE in the late 90's.
    The talent pool has never been deeper. But the creative flow is stagnant...and it's been stinking for a while. I quoted Einstein to begin this thing. Let me conclude with the immortal words of Owen Heart: "Enough's enough: it's time for a change!"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    This is the day after the ECW PPV December to dismember

The next day, December 4, Heyman and McMahon among those flying to Charleston, South Carolina, Heyman pitched opening the December 5 ECW show with Ariel and Kelly in a match, telling viewers interviews with Lashley, Van Dam, and Punk were going on right then and would be seen later in the show. McMahon didn’t like the idea, fearing fans in the arena would chant for Punk. Heyman asked why that was a bad thing, as it showed the fans cared about someone on the flagging ECW show. McMahon reportedly threw his glasses on the floor and shouted, “Get this through your thick fucking head—my focus is on Bobby Lashley and only Bobby Lashley! That man is the brand's icon, the brand's superhero. He is ECW and he will be, at the expense of Rob Van Dam, CM Punk, Test, and everyone else, and you can hit the door if don't like it!”

TL;DR: McMahon wanted Lashley as the ECW Main star regardless of all the negative feedback he was getting from the crowd and people backstage.“

Source: Hardcore History: The Extremely Unauthorized Story of ECW

If that's true, and watching how WWECW was booked I have little doubt it is, then I really don't think Apollo's race will block him from a push. His height, however...

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I had another big weekend.

ldr1qlpxtoz7.jpg

lxcn5gcyw7dr.jpg

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    This is the day after the ECW PPV December to dismember

The next day, December 4, Heyman and McMahon among those flying to Charleston, South Carolina, Heyman pitched opening the December 5 ECW show with Ariel and Kelly in a match, telling viewers interviews with Lashley, Van Dam, and Punk were going on right then and would be seen later in the show. McMahon didn’t like the idea, fearing fans in the arena would chant for Punk. Heyman asked why that was a bad thing, as it showed the fans cared about someone on the flagging ECW show. McMahon reportedly threw his glasses on the floor and shouted, “Get this through your thick fucking head—my focus is on Bobby Lashley and only Bobby Lashley! That man is the brand's icon, the brand's superhero. He is ECW and he will be, at the expense of Rob Van Dam, CM Punk, Test, and everyone else, and you can hit the door if don't like it!”

TL;DR: McMahon wanted Lashley as the ECW Main star regardless of all the negative feedback he was getting from the crowd and people backstage.“

Source: Hardcore History: The Extremely Unauthorized Story of ECW

If that's true, and watching how WWECW was booked I have little doubt it is, then I really don't think Apollo's race will block him from a push. His height, however...

It would also explain why Heyman quit right after December 2 Dismember.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    I'm also pretty sure WWE wanted to push Ahmed Johnson to World title status back in 1996 before injuries derailed that.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I'm posting this here, because I don't really have a lot of places to tell this story where people would understand what I'm talking about.

I've been playing a lot of WWE 2K16. My Universe has two shows with around 26 wrestlers each. Out of that 52, 40 of them are characters I created. They aren't based on anyone, just people I've been making for years. Four of them were first made back in WWF Warzone. Over the years the number of people I make every game grew and grew. I have horrible amounts of backstory in my head for most of them.

I have a 3 year old at home. He was acting like a wrestler last night, saying he was the champ and stuff. I figured he was pretending to be Finn Balor. He loves Balor, mainly because my son is also obsessed with Venom. He's do the ground crawl and pose as he pops up, the whole 9 yards. When I ask if he's being Finn he quickly tells me, "No, the Ninja!". It took me a moment to register what he said. That's the announce name of Ninja-X, one of the created wrestlers that he's seen me play. Later he's asking me about Señor Bones, a different CAW that he really likes because he has a skeleton mask and a lot of the silly move animations. So he's all into my fake wrestlers and pretends to be them.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Dude, who the fuck wouldn't want to be Señor Bones.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Can someone recommend me some wrestler autobiographies? Like, which of Mick Foleys books and who else? (it's gonna be a gift)

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »
    Can someone recommend me some wrestler autobiographies? Like, which of Mick Foleys books and who else? (it's gonna be a gift)

Jericho's first book definitely.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I'll get some screen shots tonight. Señor Bones wears a black suit and tie with a skull mask. His impressive arsenal of moves includes the Ravishing Neckbreaker and the Booty Popping Moonsault.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
This discussion has been closed.