As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] thread: Aliens. Superhereos. Mayo. Games for all!

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    xPBtcBB.png

I guess ReverseCreations has finally conceded that I do, in fact, own all the VNs... and has moved on to the next thing on his list. :lol:

Thanks for the Chosen. CorriganX has been hyping this one, so I'm expecting a solid, mature, well-written, deeply involving JRPG here.

<3<3<3

I thought the graphics reminded me of another game I played once before... and I was right. It looks a lot like Doom and Destiny, which I enjoyed mightily on the 360- and it apparently has a sequel, too- Doom and Destiny Advanced. They might be worth checking into, the first one was a really solid RPG for the price.

I don't know if I've been at this vidya thing too long, or not long enough, but I first read Doom and Destiny separately and got really confused.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/318130/ is what I'm talking about. Kind of surprised they want ten bucks for it, though- on XBox Live Arcade, it was a buck.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    dJd6e31.jpg

This warms my heart.

This game is pretty alright.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    More like XCULT2 AMIRITE?
    I'm glad you are all enjoying the xcoms

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Quical wrote: »

So Jealous.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm really trying to do the responsible thing and finish at least one more game before firing up XCOM 2 (graciously gifted to me by my second favorite forumer @Scratchy) because my beaten/got ratio for February needs to be positive and the closest game I have to finishing is Black Mesa and man what a polarizing experience that has been so far!

On the positive side, seeing all of the major setpieces from the original Half Life redone has been a blast. Even though I know what is coming next at any given point it has been a ton of fun seeing them reimagined. Also, something cool happened earlier - there is a part in the original Half Life where you come across a huge weapons cache, but you have to have a living guard with you to open it. When I got to that point in Black Mesa I ran into a guard who told me that he and his friend had heard there was a weapons cache in the area but they had become separated, but that it should be somewhere nearby.

Since I thought I needed him alive to open it I had him stay where he was while I cleared out the area. I got to the cache and his friend was already there, and he had a conversation with me. I wondered if the dialog would be different it I had brought the other guy along, so I reloaded and brought him with me and the entire scene was different. It was a pretty cool little touch and it makes me wonder if there were any other situations like that that I missed.

On the negative side, it's pretty weird playing through what might as well be a Valve game but without the insane amounts of Valve QA and polish. It's not super buggy or anything (although it did crash once or twice so far and sometimes a weird bug kicks in that makes weapons invisible), but there are tons of little things like doors that open into walkways and block them, getting stuck on small props like traffic cones, and environmental glitches (I was jumping on some pipes once and the game shot me straight up into the air and dropped me to 8hp, an ichthyosaur was able to attack me through a gate which teleported me back about twenty feet, and once during a level transition I got stuck in the floor - I had to use noclip to get out which means I had to activate cheats which means I won't get any more achievements for this playthrough). Also, the enemies in Black Mesa feel even more bullet-spongey than they did in the original Half Life.

Also since the enemies do so much damage now the shotgun is worthless outside of some extremely situational scenarios. It's still super powerful and will gib enemies in a delicious spray of chunks and blood, but getting close enough for it to be useful on an enemy with a ranged attack means you're looking at losing half of your health/armor at a minimum. They managed to make a shotgun un-fun to use, which is a cardinal sin in videogames as far as I am concerned.

I'm on Lambda Core right now, which is the last chapter in Black Mesa, so I'm pretty close to "beating" it (I'll consider it beaten until the game is finished and Xen is included), so really I just have to power through a little longer and then I can start throwing people into the alien meatgrinder.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Wandered through Steam and suddenly remembered the fact I really, really liked the few visual novels I had. That turned into a long while of looking at things for the old wishlist and rummaging through possibilities while cramming more and more of my backlog into my external HD.

In the process, I discovered a code that was sent to me- so many thanks to @an_alt for Tales of Maj'Eyal! It looks interesting! I'm not that good at roguelikes, but any opportunity to change that is great!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    UseR2006 wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »

So Jealous.

YOU'RE JEALOUS!

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Well, technically... y'all are envious, not jealous.

Just sayin.

/hides

:lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular

Just sayin.

/hides

Why not both?
    xmx2db53ywbi.jpg

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Well, after several years being stuck at Knoxx-Trapp, I finally beat the last borderlands DLC, Claptrap's Robot revolution. I might try moxie's underdome, tomorrow.
    [img/]http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/305485758895561425/466F987B7228B887E48487AF5319EB3938178649/?.jpeg[/img]

Still the end runs for this DLC were rather lame, really hate hunting the planet for red crates, I mean.....
    giftshop......oh, just some generic spawn crates, that lameness keeps with the story's....
    oh, there's a button, it will lead me down and wow more generic crates and......
    ?.jpeg
    ITS MINE! ALL MINE! MINE!MINE!MINE!MINE!MINE!MINE!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j25q_RcgSmA

Wow, that NFS:MW dlc....bravo, EA. Bravo.

The end of the Claptrap DLC is an apology for the end of Knoxx DLC.

Except that the claptrap boxes are all fairly low level and will never give you anything comparable to the knoxx boxes.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Just sayin.

/hides

I had no idea those words had subtly different meanings. Neat!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    I'm working on my backlog. I figure by the time I get done, XCOM 2 will be ~$5.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Well, after several years being stuck at Knoxx-Trapp, I finally beat the last borderlands DLC, Claptrap's Robot revolution. I might try moxie's underdome, tomorrow.
    ?.jpeg

Still the end runs for this DLC were rather lame, really hate hunting the planet for red crates, I mean.....
    giftshop......oh, just some generic spawn crates, that lameness keeps with the story's....
    oh, there's a button, it will lead me down and wow more generic crates and......
    ITS MINE! ALL MINE! MINE!MINE!MINE!MINE!MINE!MINE!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j25q_RcgSmA

Wow, that NFS:MW dlc....bravo, EA. Bravo.

Moxxi's Underdome is such a bad dlc, one of the worst ever. It's slow and repetitive, no plot, won't give any experience (or any nice loot), and you'll see everything the dlc has got to offer in about 10-15 minutes anyway. And if you want to complete the achievements 100% then just don't, because it's not worth it. You'll have to complete 3 challenges which consists of 20 rounds each, 5 waves every round, so 100 waves per challenge. Even if you find a low level host (to make the enemies easier), you'll still have to spend about 3 hours (or more) per challenge, because it's slow as hell, 3 hours in one sitting, 3 hours of doing the same thing over and over again.

The achievements of Robot Revolution are bad as well, because you have to idle hours for some worthless items but Moxxi's Underdome beats it any day.

Florin on
  • Options
    The "story" quests of Underdome aren't terrible. They're the shorter events and net you a skill point.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Both General Knoxx and Claptrap's Robot Revolution DLC were pretty great. Moxxie's underdome is pretty bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    So close to finishing Fallout 4 (I think).

I'm think I'm seeing a potential ending here...
    So the Institute is rushing the deployment of an experimental nuclear power source? Hm, it would be a real shame if that exploded on you, wouldn't it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Just sayin.

/hides

I feel just a bit more nerdy knowing that they did.

I'm "stuck" on Seath in Dark Souls; not because I can't beat him, I could light him up whenever I wanted. No, I'm stuck because I want to cut off his tail. This may be a place where my obsessive nature needs to take a back seat until NG+.

Also, I may or may not be adding a gigantic new expansion onto my already massive base in ARK. I need a living quarters/trophy room.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    ETS2: Headlight offence?? What is this? Wait, my lights were off?

IRL I have headlights on 100% of the time.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Just sayin.

/hides

I'm "stuck" on Seath in Dark Souls; not because I can't beat him, I could light him up whenever I wanted. No, I'm stuck because I want to cut off his tail. This may be a place where my obsessive nature needs to take a back seat until NG+.

Also, I may or may not be adding a gigantic new expansion onto my already massive base in ARK. I need a living quarters/trophy room.

I know it's not your thing, Kalnaur but you might try going online for the one bit. I don't think that area is prone to invasions so you might find someone to help you without any real threat of invasion. If you do get invaded, and they beat you, then you have 10 minutes of invasion free time so I would try it again. They would probably put their sign down after the crystal caverns invisible bridge or in front of the boss fog. I think it's much easier to get the tail with the help of another person.

EDIT: The other trick I've heard of for getting his tail is:
    let him destroy the crystal himself which stuns him for longer, I think. Then rush over and Great Combustion the tip/last quarter of his tail.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    In fact, @kalnaur, what level are you? I can probably get a character over there to assist and draw his attention for you.

Edit: at some point this weekend, that is. At work now.

Houn on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Just sayin.

/hides

I know it's not your thing, Kalnaur but you might try going online for the one bit. I don't think that area is prone to invasions so you might find someone to help you without any real threat of invasion. If you do get invaded, and they beat you, then you have 10 minutes of invasion free time so I would try it again. They would probably put their sign down after the crystal caverns invisible bridge or in front of the boss fog. I think it's much easier to get the tail with the help of another person.

EDIT: The other trick I've heard of for getting his tail is:
    let him destroy the crystal himself which stuns him for longer, I think. Then rush over and Great Combustion the tip/last quarter of his tail.

. . . I hadn't thought of that second trick. Good to know!
    I have that lined up anyways since Seath hates fire more than my magic damage spells.
    Houn wrote: »
    In fact, @kalnaur, what level are you? I can probably get a character over there to assist and draw his attention for you.

I want to say I'm somewhere in the low 70s. I can try the other trick first though; my pyro flame is level +11.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    so tired
    should work
    but wanna play xcom 2 so much

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    so tired
    should work
    but wanna play xcom 2 so much

Yeah, It is stupid hard to sit at work today.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Huh. There is a surprise big sale, Lunar New Year Sale.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Oh, neat way to walk you through the sales. Clever!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly/p/february_2016_monthly

Humble Monthly is out. Pretty good games in it.

Alien Isolation
    Volume
    Dropsy
    Titan Souls
    Broken Age
    Penarium
    Elephant in the Room (a game exclusive to Humble it appears)
    and a demo for the Cortex Command guy's next game.

The next month's early unlock is ARK Survival Evolved, and given it is 12 bucks for a month that seems like a really good deal given I'm not sure the game has hit that price alone yet, let alone with 5+ other games.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Huh. There is a surprise big sale, Lunar New Year Sale.

Is it just Sleeping Dogs and phone game ports?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I don't have money for Rise right now and don't want to old ones, but I'm a little salty that Rise of the Tomb Raider is not included in the Tomb Raider Collection. Raise the price and put it in there - it's a Tomb Raider game!

Also, I'm glad Disgaea is not on sale. This way I don't have to return it and re-buy it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/346940/announcements/detail/859428513061182505

Shadowrun Hong Kong extended cut is out. Has a "6 hour" epilogue story as far as new content goes

Busy day today.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    If you like 4th wall fuckery and/or horror games you should definitely check out imscared. There was a free version released back in like 2012, but the steam version has a ton of new stuff and it's definitely worth the $3

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Happy New Monkey Year!

Kind of an unexpected sale, I point out a potential price mistake (65% off at the moment, released 3 days ago) in chat and @Shade strikes instantly!

HerRcZg.png

I remember reading a bunch of CYOA books by Steve Jackson when I was a kid and they were pretty cool, so this looks awesome! Thank you! <3
    Also, did you guys know it's Hug a @Shade Day?!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    @Kanden begins the sale hostilities! IT HAS BEGUN!

lrmkhd7tjhqw.jpg

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Oh. Good. A big sale event.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    I really like Chinese New Year. I took my kids to a celebration last weekend and they got to try Lo Mein, we all really dug the kung-fu demonstrations, the same kung-fu group performing as cool dancing lions, and our local Chinese cultural organization bringing in other Asian stuff as well. Our taekwondo (Korean martial art) studio had their demonstration team perform, and my daughter and one of the performers made each other's day when my daughter ran up to her after the demonstration and told the performer that she's my daughter's hero. And the kids and I got to see my wife perform taiko (Japanese drums) with her group. Super cool day.

And I'm taking my kids to a dance at their school tonight in honor of Chinese New Year as well.

And now I realized I won't be XCOM 2ing tonight since I'll be at their dance and then playing Infinity with the 2 that didn't "earn" an early bedtime tonight. I've already got the shakes. Thankfully my wife is out of town tomorrow so I will be XCOM 2ing while the kids are awake.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Just a reminder that tonight's FNG is Need for Speed: Most Wanted which is FREE ON ORIGIN RIGHT NOW!

I probably won't be there but I'm going to try. @CorriganX is planning to be there so be sure to add him to your Origin friends (he's CorriganX there too). You can add me as well (EdGruberman1).

I think the plan is to start up around 9PM EST. Probably use Teamspeak as well.

So get your game installed and get ready to play. Apparently there is some stuff you can unlock in singleplayer that unlocks things in multi so if you have a chance beforehand or you are ready early, it might be worth it to fire it up in advance.

EDIT: It's too bad one can't subscribe to a tag like @FNG on the forums

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    I was hanging out in group chat when @destroyah87 popped in. He pointed out that Subnautica was on sale for it's lowest price yet and I mentioned that I had been looking at it but I had just grabbed Elite Dangerous: Horizons. I immediately realized I shouldn't have said that. Because then this happened:

8arwtOg.png

Lesson learned, destroyah. Lesson learned
    Thanks again. It really does look great

steam_sig.png

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    Ok, Dishonored is finished! It was maybe not the sneakiest of runs, but I'm happy with it.

My favourite part of that playthrough was the bit when you tried to knock out that guard on the higher ledge. I saved a clip of it.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Someone mentions Knoxx boxes and I start researching and honestly contemplate doing a loot run for a game I've already finished.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    @destroyah87 has goddamn impeccable timing and huge amounts of class!

865ka5ctjdsq.jpg

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I was just saying that I wished Batman Arkham Origins was on sale, and today it's 5 bucks. I fear I have inadvertently wasted a hitherto unknown malevolent power on a trivial wish, but the upside is that my life will be slightly battier when I get home so I guess it was worth it.

This discussion has been closed.