As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] thread: Aliens. Superhereos. Mayo. Games for all!

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    FNG Folks! This week's game is NEED FOR SPEED: Most Wanted on Origin!

It is currently FREE if you have an origin account.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house

get it, install it, get ready to race this FRIDAY at 9pm Eastern, 6pm Pacific.

Friend CorriganX on Origin if you're playing! <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Question;

Which is better? Need for Speed: Most Wanted or Burnout: Paradise?

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    Question;

Depends really. Most Wanted is strictly closed-circuit during races in contrast to Paradise's open-ended chaos. I personally prefer something more focused, but haven't really played too much of the Most Wanted 2012 myself.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Question;

I haven't played Most Wanted, but I can vouch that Paradise is great if you're looking for an arcade racer. It's no Burnout Revenge, but Revenge is only available as a hard disc for PS2/360, so it'll do.

Also the using Paradise's motorbike DLC (included in the gold edition) in first person is fantastic. Great sense of speed.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    I know that I have Need for Speed in my Steam Library, but do I really need Origin or an make an account for it?

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I know that I have Need for Speed in my Steam Library, but do I really need Origin or an make an account for it?

I believe they're using the fact that Most Wanted is currently free on Origin as the reason to use that particular version.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

The new version of Most Wanted is origin only, I think the original most wanted was on steam before. This version came out in like 2013 or something?

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    about to fire up the stream for some more Valkyria Chronicles. -

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider +DLC 100% completed (at least until they add more DLC)
    still a great game, and oh so pretty.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

30 odd hours in 5 days? You make a convincing argument.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Pity the dollar is so high over here, that means I can currently only gift what I had in my inventory.
    Actually, most game-buying is out of bounds nowadays, especially with the plan of buying our first home this year.

but hey, at least I got to be the cheer-spreader for a couple of days!

BTW, here's the current list:

- Civ IV
    - Portal
    - Nuclear Dawn
    - Cthulhu Saves the World
    - Bit.trip Runner
    - XCOM Enemy Unknown
    - Mighty Quest for Epic Loot x3
    - Gun Monkeys
    - Defence Grid + Containment DLC
    - Nuclear Throne
    - MGSV Ground Zeroes.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Viking wrote: »

30 odd hours in 5 days? You make a convincing argument.

I have about the same number of hours and I'm at like 45% completion. And haven't started the DLC. :razz:

I apparently spend too much time smelling roses, taking screenshots, and admiring the scenery and not enough time murderkilling my way through Siberia. :lol: The game is just too good to rush.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Speaking of rushing a game, I really need to finish up Fallout 4. Can anyone tell me how much longer I have in the main plotline? Here's where I am:
    I just finished The Battle Of Bunker Hill

The game is good and all, but I want to finish it up and get onto something else. Project Zomboid is calling to me, Subnautica is (probably) getting a patch soon that fixes some of my gripes, there are still two zones in The Long Dark that I haven't even made it to, the Beta for Overwatch is firing up again soon (I hope I get in on that), and The Division is probably getting an open beta this month too.

So many good games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »

*snip*

Subnautica is (probably) getting a patch soon that fixes some of my gripes, *snip*

So many good games.

Hopefully the next patch is the Farming update and comes this month. I want the new tools and toys in that one. I've not been watching the trello dev tracker to see if it's nearing completion.

I've been playing an hour a night, just messing mostly. I'm still in love with the graphics/shaders update.

It's also still amazing to me that, even though I know I'm not in immediate danger from Reaper Leviathans anymore, I still get a flash of existential dread and fear when I hear that roar. Whoever did the sound design of that thing deserves a medal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Honestly, if the cords would stop fucking shorting/breaking, I'd be more prone to getting another wired one. The thing circled in red tends to drag on the cord a bit, and that usually makes it dip to around a 90 degree angle. The orange circled area is what seems to cause me grief, though, in that it will basically short and disconnect and then reconnect when that area is just a little bent in a direction the cord doesn't like.

brvao9v1g6fc.jpg

Huh. I've had my wired 360 controller for about 10 years (longer than I owned a 360!) and I've never had it break in that way.

I've definitely had to replace the rubber contacts under the D-pad, though. And it still doesn't work as well as it used to.

Well, the cord usually hangs at this angle for me.

7k629o5qnzc6.jpg

I've owned this one since 2013, November. The other one I had from April of the same year has a really worn left thumbstick and the same cord issue.

Don't fret over the angle of your cord hang. Everyone's cord hangs at a different angle. its what makes them unique

camo_sig.png
  • Options

*snip*

Subnautica is (probably) getting a patch soon that fixes some of my gripes, *snip*

So many good games.

Hopefully the next patch is the Farming update and comes this month. I want the new tools and toys in that one. I've not been watching the trello dev tracker to see if it's nearing completion.

I've been playing an hour a night, just messing mostly. I'm still in love with the graphics/shaders update.

It's also still amazing to me that, even though I know I'm not in immediate danger from Reaper Leviathans anymore, I still get a flash of existential dread and fear when I hear that roar. Whoever did the sound design of that thing deserves a medal.

From Trello, it looks like the Cyclops will require you to find and scan a bunch of parts to unlock it, and then you'll be able to either put a solar charging upgrade on it, or build a charging station where you can recharge power cells. No more scrounging copper to power the Cyclops!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    @Iolo are you still doing cartoon edits? I would love to see you do something with this one?

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/12/08/santas-little-helpers

Ha, that is a classic, @DyasAlure. I think I did work with that one back in the Edit thread glory days (when SabreMau ruled us all.)

Sadly, sitting here in the Atlanta airport, I have access neither to my old edit files at home nor my muse for any comic editing at the moment. You can imagine that I am Tycho and the dog is my missing my direct flight this morning and unexpectedly detouring through the Peach State... (I'm fine. Five bars of internet, cup of coffee and a corner seat by an outlet. As travel woes go, this one hardly rates at all.)

On topic, I have a bunch of Amazon promotional credit good for software/video games. If the somewhat meandering, cryptic customer service email response to my inquiry is correct, that credit will apply to a preorder purchase of an XCOM 2 code. Hmm... I'm not even sure I want to dive into a game like that whole hog right now, coming off 130 hours of Fallout 4 and a 25 hour Borderlands Pre-Sequel reunion fling.

Why do they keep making more shiny things that are shiny?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

*snip*

So many good games.

From Trello, it looks like the Cyclops will require you to find and scan a bunch of parts to unlock it, and then you'll be able to either put a solar charging upgrade on it, or build a charging station where you can recharge power cells. No more scrounging copper to power the Cyclops!

Yeah. I see that. Also abandoned seabases and destroyed lifepods coming soon too. Spooky. I'm a little sad that the O2 base resource isn't planned until the march update. But farming will be good to have. I'm also liking the way they changed fragments and the way it looks like they will be changing the bland white safe fragment model, if the flood light in the explorable large wreck fragment is any indication.

Subnautica is looking pretty good right now and will only be getting better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Because children are monsters.

Grown adults did it far more often.

Wrapping the cord like that takes time. Children would never take the time to do that.

source: was a child. Although I did do plenty of stupid things as a kid that I still regret to this day, like ripping open my SNES games and throwing the boxes away. :(

When I had an N64 as a kid that's exactly how my little brother and I put away our controllers.

Source: we were monsters.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Speaking of rushing a game, I really need to finish up Fallout 4. Can anyone tell me how much longer I have in the main plotline? Here's where I am:

The game is good and all, but I want to finish it up and get onto something else. Project Zomboid is calling to me, Subnautica is (probably) getting a patch soon that fixes some of my gripes, there are still two zones in The Long Dark that I haven't even made it to, the Beta for Overwatch is firing up again soon (I hope I get in on that), and The Division is probably getting an open beta this month too.

So many good games.

I feel like I still had a lot of game left after that point. But then I tend to take a very meandering path through every game ever so that might be affecting my perception of it. If you just rush the main, it may not be too long?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

So many good games.

I feel like I still had a lot of game left after that point. But then I tend to take a very meandering path through every game ever so that might be affecting my perception of it. If you just rush the main, it may not be too long?

Hm, maybe I'll just put it in my "come back to it later" pile, rather than rushing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

So many good games.

It depends how you resolved that quest. If you're with the Minutemen, you have two quests to go after that. The others will have more.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to see if they patched the issue I was having in Fallout that bugged out the main quest

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    The new Chapter 10 story in Marvel Heroes was pretty cool but nowhere near long enough to bring my interest back to that game. I'm still mostly just playing Trove. Other than playing the Hearthstone Tavern Brawl every Wednesday just to get my free pack, Trove is pretty much the only game I play anymore. I'm boring.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options

So many good games.

It depends how you resolved that quest. If you're with the Minutemen, you have two quests to go after that. The others will have more.

I'm with:
    The Railroad. I killed the courser and freed the synths. So now I have to go back and talk to Father, next.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

So many good games.

I'm with:
    The Railroad. I killed the courser and freed the synths. So now I have to go back and talk to Father, next.

If you just do the quests, you're close to finishing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Talus9952 wrote: »

So many good games.

I'm with:

Skip all the side play and just focus on the task at hand... you'll finish quickly... but will it be satisfying?

>.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    FNG Folks! This week's game is NEED FOR SPEED: Most Wanted on Origin!

It is currently FREE if you have an origin account.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house

get it, install it, get ready to race this FRIDAY at 9pm Eastern, 6pm Pacific.

Friend CorriganX on Origin if you're playing! <3

at first i didnt feel like i was too impressed with need for speed most wanted as i was playing it, but then still managed to play it for like 4 hours straight on the first sitting. i think it was just that i had been missing that racing game fix for awhile. i really only like the street racing style racing games with the tricking out the cars and would really love a new underground to come out. tokyo extreme racer, nfs underground, midnight club. even that one where you had a calendar and could race for pink slips that im forgetting the name of. those were my favorite racing games and the only ones ive ever really gotten into. so id be up for playing that sometime, no idea how the multiplayer works in it though as its a lot of driving around the city avoiding police

• Options
    Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012) is a really fucking outstanding game to get for free. Lot's of people like Paradise City better, but MW is still very fun and IT'S FREE.

Origin is a perfectly harmless service. You won't die or be abused in any way. Don't let this offer pass just because it's on Origin.

(i'm not being paid by EA or getting any games for free.)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

yet...

also i may not have been clear that the game is actually enjoyable, not my favorite, but its a decent racing game. if you compound the fact that its free right now, not a demo, full version for free. then you cant lose

• Options
    Talus9952 wrote: »

So many good games.

I'm with:

Skip all the side play and just focus on the task at hand... you'll finish quickly... but will it be satisfying?

>.>

I've done a LOT of side quests up to this point, so I'm pretty comfortable pushing through.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

So many good games.

I'm with:

You're probably between 2 and 4 quests away from finishing the main plot though. The exact count is hard to tell as there are so many ways to approach some of the different endings because of all the ways you can betray the non-Minutemen factions to advance the plot in different ways.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012) is a really fucking outstanding game to get for free. Lot's of people like Paradise City better, but MW is still very fun and IT'S FREE.

Origin is a perfectly harmless service. You won't die or be abused in any way. Don't let this offer pass just because it's on Origin.

Origin is pretty good, actually, however uncool is might be to say that in this thread. It does what it has to do, does it unobtrusively, doesn't bug out constantly like UPlay does every single chance it can, and is backed by some solid customer service that Valve could learn a few dozen lessons from.

For that matter, you can mostly just ignore it. Add your Origin games to your Steam library and launch them from there and you won't even have to mess with Origin at all - it'll just quietly do its thing in the background if you want.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

So many good games.

Hm, maybe I'll just put it in my "come back to it later" pile, rather than rushing.

Hum, This made me think.

A story of pictures:
    When I came to this thread, I had a few games:
    civ4-german-big.jpg

Than I threw a gift, a small little DLC at @Pixelated Pixie . When I turned around, my library and grown somehow.
    GgGnI9o.jpg

Now it wasn't big yet mind you, just a few. But after I experienced my fist sale that summer.
    781368-9685_1.jpg

It was ok, because I didn't have a backlog like some.
    1_vgc_original_main_large.jpg
    @Big Classy

And now I feel like this trying to decide what to play
    dog-chasing-own-tail.gif
    The video games in this story are just actors
    No video games were harmed in the writting of this post

I think I might go play ETS2. You can beat that game right?

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options

The only real complaint I had against Most Wanted (2012) in my short playtime with it is that it wasn't Most Wanted (2005). I loved the first Most Wanted so much, the cop chases were amazing. Though I feel I should play Most Wanted '12 more. Maybe tomorrow morning, as I'm off work that day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »

yet...

also i may not have been clear that the game is actually enjoyable, not my favorite, but its a decent racing game. if you compound the fact that its free right now, not a demo, full version for free. then you cant lose

I don't know if I need more car upgrades, but I preferred the handling in Paradise. The Porsche you start with goes from full-on under-steer to complete over-steer, and very rarely in-between. Other than that, it does look nice.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    i found a countach like a minute after switching to the porsche, and just stuck with that the rest of my playtime

• Options
    OMG Pixie quoted me
    Is that how it feels to be hip and famous ?? :bzz:

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    My big problem with Paradise was that there were no Crash scenarios. Made the game a lot less enjoyable to me.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Origin is pretty good, actually, however uncool is might be to say that in this thread. It does what it has to do, does it unobtrusively, doesn't bug out constantly like UPlay does every single chance it can, and is backed by some solid customer service that Valve could learn a few dozen lessons from.

For that matter, you can mostly just ignore it. Add your Origin games to your Steam library and launch them from there and you won't even have to mess with Origin at all - it'll just quietly do its thing in the background if you want.

Can confirm. Have needed to call Origin customer service twice, have not yet been locked out of my library for six months as punishment.

This discussion has been closed.