Options

Hellgate†London: It's out. Why aren't you playing it?

• Options
    Will998Will998 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I'm still playing my evoker.. Rushed by Dev+friends into act V. Very fun.. Level 24, almost 25.. I'm having nothing but fun.. If any people want some evoker eq or intend to start new chars, send me a PM/Ingame whisper.. Been playing with the ingame name of Memnoch, on shulgoth.

Will998 on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »
    I'm torn. I have somewhat similar feelings, having played WoW for a very long time. While I'm really loving Hellgate so far, there are tons of things I wish the game did. For example, an auction house, more character slots, re-speccing, a better interface for community stuff (channels, etc.), a moddable interface, and being able to link items in chat windows.

Then I remember that many of those features weren't in WoW at the beginning either. It took months, and sometimes years, of work to get a lot of that functionality in the game. Considering how much money the game made for Blizzard, I'm sure they had plenty of developers working on this stuff.

Yes, I'm spoiled and I want all games to have a lot of the same features and conventions that WoW had. I'm sure a lot of developers feel the same way too, but they frankly don't have enough time or money to do all of that. The #1 priority for them is creating the new content for subscribers, which I can totally understand. That's where the bread and butter will be.

... but damn, being able to link items in chat would just make my day.

They've cited intention to have auction houses, mail and better guild support in before December (which is when the first big content patch goes in). They've also been able to start hiring a lot more people for the ongoing content and with the game relatively polished technically, there will be more resources to throw at things like UI improvements.

I know you're not whining, just an FYI based on my following the developer posts.

devoir on
  • Options
    OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just picked this up.

So I got the name Gatling for a marksman and since dual wielding pistols seems pretty cool so I'm going to give all the rapid fire + damage stuff a shot in keeping with the name. I'm level 3 on Shulugoth & would like to group with other PA'ers.

Otaking on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    intelnavi wrote: »
    I would read the thread next time. Its been said many many times that the demo is quite shit. Retail is much much much better.

A quick search didn't bring up anything specific, at least not anything different than what the OP says.

Also, if its just more enemies, more interesting environments, etc. that are added, I don't think my opinion would change much. I'll check out some gameplay videos when they come out.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'll be glad when the fucking stupid Halloween visage helm stops dropping. Next time flagship, make it something crafted. And make the blood and body parts bullshit stack infinitely.

I'm really disappointed with how much 350 luck seems to be doing for me. Apparently all it does for me is give me relics by the truckload for weapons types my class type never uses.

The rosette wheel system definitely needs some fucking quick keys, I spend more time managing my inventory than should be even remotely necessary. Anything to get rid of right click, mouseover, dismantle, click, click yes> repeat eleven hundred times.

This game has taught me the big difference between an MMO and an MMO lobby. This game is an MMO in so much as you can view other people and their gear in a 3D world.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Did you actually search for the word demo in this thread?

Because I'm pretty sure 99% of the posts containing the word demo have the words "is very shit and not representative of the beta/retail game" right after.

We have nothing personal against you, but inherent laziness does not provide incentive to anyone to be helpful especially when the point's been raised over and over again by people like you.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Right, my point exactly. I was looking for more than what the OP says about the demo.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Daemonion wrote: »
    Right, my point exactly. I was looking for more than what the OP says about the demo.

I wrote my post before you edited yours, so that wasn't your point when I read it.

The demo as compared to retail is lacking in:

- Graphical performance
    - Gameplay balance
    - Monsters density
    - Monster AI
    - Diversity in skills
    - Diversity in monsters
    - Diversity in environments
    - Number of classes available (2 vs 6)
    - Multiplayer

The last point is the biggest one.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Daemonion wrote: »

I wrote my post before you edited yours, so that wasn't your point when I read it.

The demo as compared to retail is lacking in:

- Graphical performance
    - Gameplay balance
    - Monsters density
    - Monster AI
    - Diversity in skills
    - Diversity in monsters
    - Diversity in environments
    - Number of classes available (2 vs 6)
    - Multiplayer

The last point is the biggest one.

Thanks for taking the time to list all that out.

I'm curious about the AI changes - that can only be a good thing, I assume.

The game actually ran 40 - 60fps, max everything (except AA), 1920x1200 with DX9 shaders on my 1950pro. I was pretty happy about that, but if they optimized it even more - sweet!

Still, I feel the need to wait for some reviews. Maybe a friend of mine will pick it up.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't buy many games anymore for the PC for the singleplayer component. The last bought game that I played exclusively offline was probably Runaway 2. This is important to note when I do not recommend buying this game if you only plan on playing it singleplayer. The game lends itself to infinitely more enjoyment with played in a group of like-minded people.

The monster AI, density and spawn systems (all of which go hand-in-hand) got a massive improvement (at least from my point of view) over the last 2-3 weeks of the beta during which I didn't play. When I hit retail, monsters were spaced out better, with less noticable, constant gaps between packs. Because of the way the spawns were laid out, you now get attacked more often from multiple directions and it is far more common to see mixed groups of monsters rather than pack of 4 felbore, pack of 4 felbore, pack of 4 felbore.

That said, the game currently has the following headline issues:

1) Skill system needs a revamp to be more interesting, rewarding and relevant to gameplay. It is not as horrible as some people make it out to be, but in terms of quality it does let down the overall product noticably.

2) The engine has issues with certain configurations which can result in memory leaks, crashes to desktop, partial and full system lock, texture corruption, among others. These appear to be relatively rare, but if you are affected by one of them, it can be quite frustrating.

There is also a significant bug which will render all other player models in low-polygon mode with low resolutions.

3) There are a lot of facets of the UI which need polishing and updating, but as noted on the previous page these are unfortunately the things which are focused on post-release. This includes things like a lack of item-linking, poor guild support, poor chat system, unwieldy UI windows, etc.

None of these are issues which the developers have declared non-issues and they have made massive progress since I started testing it in August. All evidence points to them continuing the improvements post-release and working based on player feedback.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    All evidence points to them continuing the improvements post-release and working based on player feedback.

You know, if just that part is true, then there isn't any reason why I shouldn't at least give the game a chance.

I feel that constant feedback-based improvements have been lacking in too many games over the past years, so it's nice to hear that they are promising such.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DudBolt wrote: »
    Do any of you know if it will be possible to bring your single-play characters online?

It won't one, of the big draws of the online portion is everything is server side and secured, so no hacking, it would be too easy to create a single player character, jump it up to level 50 with an editor then transfer it over to online.

That sucks, that kinda makes me wish I started a character online instead of singleplayer then. I'm highly enjoying my Guardian. I don't think hes died once from taking on something he couldn't handle, just stupid mistakes I've done. Also, does anyone know what it means if the shield has splash or direct damage? I haven't noticed any difference other then it hitting just one target with normal shield bash. (Shield spin on the other hand wreaks all kinds of havoc.)

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, when I eventually get this, I was gonna play sniper. So:
    Escape: 1
    Sniper: 10
    Master Sniper: 10
    Deadeye: 7
    Hollow Points: 7
    Sprint 5:
    Flashbang: 10

Yay? Nay? Seems challenging to play. I loved tactical stance in the demo, really enjoyed having to reposition effectively and such. Sniper seems like super tactical stance from the skill description.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    DudBolt wrote: »
    That sucks, that kinda makes me wish I started a character online instead of singleplayer then. I'm highly enjoying my Guardian. I don't think hes died once from taking on something he couldn't handle, just stupid mistakes I've done. Also, does anyone know what it means if the shield has splash or direct damage? I haven't noticed any difference other then it hitting just one target with normal shield bash. (Shield spin on the other hand wreaks all kinds of havoc.)

Start your character online and look out for people to group with. The more people who play online, the more people there are to group with, including for you.

Splash damage means that when you use shield bash and you're standing next to a bunch of enemies, you will hit all the enemies. Look at the detailed info, sometimes shields will have a portion of direct damage and a portion of splash damage. So if you were to do a shield bash on an enemy that's standing next to a friend of his, you'll do all the direct damage to monster A, and the splash damage to monster A and monster B.

devoir on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just wanted to reassure Mono that this is my next game purchase.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So, when I eventually get this, I was gonna play sniper. So:
    Escape: 1
    Sniper: 10
    Master Sniper: 10
    Deadeye: 7
    Hollow Points: 7
    Sprint 5:
    Flashbang: 10

Yay? Nay? Seems challenging to play. I loved tactical stance in the demo, really enjoyed having to reposition effectively and such. Sniper seems like super tactical stance from the skill description.

Sniper stance coupled with a snifle rifle is really slow going when you're by yourself, and almost irrelevant when you are grouped as your group will not be slowed down by slow weapon and even slower stance.

Tactical can be useful in combination with a crit build, especially in the higher levels where you have the time to run into an area, drop to tactical and (re)target several times because of the sheer number of mobs attacking.

I've personally dropped all my points into Beacon, Napalm Strike, Deadeye and Hollow Points. I don't know yet which other skills I will take, but I'm looking into the Phase Grenade. I'm level 27 at the moment.

devoir on
  • Options
    UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man I'm still on my Beta account, trapped on the EU servers. Should be getting this this weeek though and then I can roll statesside with you wonderful people. I've had some really weird/annoying issues though lately:

When in a hub/town, get snapped back to the spawn point at seemingly random times (this seems to happen to everyone else in the hub at the same time)
    Get stuck (at least you have /stuck now but still, it happens far too often)
    Sometimes, I will fire off my pet's enrage and... nothing happens. No taunt, no self-heal. Cooldown still starts though.
    Sometimes my tank pet will be summoned but not visible in the minion health-bar area, on the top left-hand side of the screen. He's still there, but the game doesn't seem to register that as I can continue (trying) to summon him and can't use his taunt skill (button is red as if he wasn't summoned). This can be fixed by zoning back to town.
    Certain type of sewer/accesway (the places that can randomly pop up in maps, where you climb down and pick up treasure/fight elite mobs) will trap my summonlings. The one which is like a mineshaft or something, then leading to a long bridge over an abyss to get to the chest at the end. The guys just get stuck at the first archway, have to zone back to town and summon them back in the right places if I want to use them for a while.
    The engineers gun drone. For reals, I'm not playing engi again till this is fixed.

Now don't jump down my throat, I love this game and trying to get all my friends to buy it so we can play it together. Seem to be succeeding too. But I'm honest with them when I say that at the moment, there's a lot of potential in the game which makes it easy to look past some of the (sometimes rather large) flaws. Just like a lot of people here I find it very easy to compare this game, and my feelings about it, to D2 (in a good way). But then again, I wasn't playing D2 at launch.

tl;dr: the game has some pretty stupid bugs, here's hoping they fix it so I can love it even more than I already do

Super special ninja-edit PS: I would check the status of these bugs out on the forums, but I still can't login to them. I log in to eu.hellgatelondon.com, click forums and am asked to log in on the US site which then says I don't exist D: If my login still doesn't work when I've actually bought the game, I'll be sure to complain but atm I feel they have more important work ;)

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I didn't like how the napalm strike grenade thing worked.
    I planned out a full tactical strike build instead of sniper as well, with 10 TS and 10 in Shield Boost. I just liked the concept of sniper.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Unicron wrote: »
    When in a hub/town, get snapped back to the spawn point at seemingly random times (this seems to happen to everyone else in the hub at the same time)

It's apparently the result of splitting you into a new town instance.

As I've noted previously, they've polished the game an ass-tonne since alpha and there's no reason they're going to stop now, so I'm sure you'll see all your issues addressed as launch becomes a distant memory.

I have to say that I'm very impressed with how the servers have been running. Aside from the planned downtime, they've been up, stable and lag-free. For me (as an Australian) to have constant 200ms pings as opposed to the 350+ I 'enjoyed' when playing WoW, it is fantastic.

devoir on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Spectre45 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to get parts for the Zombot. I need a ticker and I think 6 more blood. Anyone have any spare? PM me or send me a message in game, Spectre40

I got a spare ticker and like 6-7 spare blood in the bank if you still need them.
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    stryker116 wrote: »
    I'm asking again to those dick posters that aren't replying;

WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU FIND THE GAME FOR $15 or $25?!

How about you calm down and not be a dick.

No U!

Actually I wasn't really freaking about it, just being a showman. I still want to know where they got it cheap though.

I'm guessing they traded in something or used some store credit somewhere.
    Maybe, I just know that a couple of pages back one guy said that he picked up the game for like 25 bucks and another proudly announced that he got it for 15 and then when asked where they got it both of them promptly stopped posting.

Maybe that was because I wasn't on the site anymore, you shit.

Circuit City has the game for $40. My friend has one of those cards where you get 15% off from them on games, or something, and then a $10 gift certificate.
    Settle down, and thanks for the info.

Wow I'm a dick now?

Sorry some people actually have a life and have to go to work.

Next time you might actually consider sending a PM to the person whose post you have a question about instead of just calling them names and freaking out.

I got it for $15 because I found a edge card on it with $40 credit i didn't know i had.

fucking happy now?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there a european PA guild up and running? Or currently just a US one?

Prime on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there any reason at all to play Singleplayer rather than just starting immediately with Multiplayer? Are the stories different at all?

Cause if the stories are the same, get all the cutscenes, etc, but doing it in Multi would get me a decent multiplayer character at the end, well, even one of my customers could handle that.

KiTA on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For me, the only really amazing thing about this game is that no matter the server, Eu or US, I get the same ping and never ever have any lag. Barrels blow up the moment they are hit, monsters get hit just like they should.

This is much better than most other games.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    A couple of stupid questions I can't seem to find online.

1. How do you know a weapon will work in the second hand? My evoker will only equip certain items in the offhand for some reason. I was hoping to equip 2 focus weapons.

2. When I hit ctrl for boost, am I using an item in my inventory or is it more like a power or trait?

TY guys

Oh my evoker's name is Corruptus, and im down for the killings

FingerSlut on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    A couple of stupid questions I can't seem to find online.

1. How do you know a weapon will work in the second hand? My evoker will only equip certain items in the offhand for some reason. I was hoping to equip 2 focus weapons.

2. When I hit ctrl for boost, am I using an item in my inventory or is it more like a power or trait?

TY guys

Oh my evoker's name is Corruptus, and im down for the killings

Well, there is a skill you need to take, but beyond that they will pretty much say by way of what kind of weapon they are... focus items I've seen have all been one handed.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i just got this recently on my marksman, pretty good?
    sniper.jpg

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    For me, the only really amazing thing about this game is that no matter the server, Eu or US, I get the same ping and never ever have any lag. Barrels blow up the moment they are hit, monsters get hit just like they should.

This is much better than most other games.

That is good to know. I live in Sydney so both places would be laggarific if it was a normal mmo.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh god. OH GOD!

sawslolja6.jpg

That is the most inappropriate name ever.

It fires bouncing saw blades.

IT FIRES BOUNCING SAW BLADES!

s3rial one on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wait, so are the character models supposed to look as sup-par as they do? I've got everything cranked to high, but I find the players (particularly my own) to look a little lackluster. Is this by design? Or is it a bug?

Edit: Ha ha! And now when I tried to launch the game to take some screenshots for display, the launcher won't even start. It's a CTD before the game even gives me the option to play. Hillarious.

Seriously, this game is tons of fun, but these bugs are really inexcusable. Ballance issues I can understand, but so many of these are game-breakers.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am having zero luck with drops so far. Fighting Shulgoth he dropped a legendary sword which my Engineer can't use at all and then in the Mind a fucking unique sword for Templars dropped.

Give me a gun damnit!

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Unicron wrote: »

It's apparently the result of splitting you into a new town instance.

As I've noted previously, they've polished the game an ass-tonne since alpha and there's no reason they're going to stop now, so I'm sure you'll see all your issues addressed as launch becomes a distant memory.

I have to say that I'm very impressed with how the servers have been running. Aside from the planned downtime, they've been up, stable and lag-free. For me (as an Australian) to have constant 200ms pings as opposed to the 350+ I 'enjoyed' when playing WoW, it is fantastic.

I have to agree. After the debacle of launch day they really pulled it together. Also while the game still has plenty of bugs it does run at least twice as good as it was in beta. I will still get a ctd once every 3 hours or so but in beta it was like once every 20 minutes. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long while. Running this game in DX10 and the graphics are stunning.

corin7 on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KiTA wrote: »
    Is there any reason at all to play Singleplayer rather than just starting immediately with Multiplayer? Are the stories different at all?

Cause if the stories are the same, get all the cutscenes, etc, but doing it in Multi would get me a decent multiplayer character at the end, well, even one of my customers could handle that.

Anyone?

KiTA on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ^^
    I'm also wondering this before I crack level 10.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm guessing not. Multiplayer is the exact same game, only with the inherent option of teaming up, even if you don't want to.

I assume the main purpose of singleplayer is essentially to be able to play without lag and/or potential server shutdowns.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Another Important Note: a US subscription gives you membership benefits only on the US server. Likewise, an EU subscription gives you membership benefits only on the EU server.

Keep this in mind guys.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    cordlessmodemcordlessmodem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Anyone?

Well, there's no lag for one. Also the server never goes down in single player. Other than that, I'd say no.

Edit: Beaten

cordlessmodem on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    man I have gotten like, six server error messages since i started playing today, and each one was when I was like, ten feet away from the gate into Charing Cross Station, I have to go through all three of those dungeons and I keep crashing just before I get into the station. :(

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wait, so are the character models supposed to look as sup-par as they do? I've got everything cranked to high, but I find the players (particularly my own) to look a little lackluster. Is this by design? Or is it a bug?

Edit: Ha ha! And now when I tried to launch the game to take some screenshots for display, the launcher won't even start. It's a CTD before the game even gives me the option to play. Hillarious.

Seriously, this game is tons of fun, but these bugs are really inexcusable. Ballance issues I can understand, but so many of these are game-breakers.

Regarding the bugs, I would try a clean boot or maybe a reinstall, as most people aren't having that problem.

You may be experiencing some kind of bug regarding the character models, they look fine to me:
    hellgatero8.jpg

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fartacus, that character model is your own, yes? The "bug" has to do with OTHER player characters, for the most part (I've never had any issues with the quality of my own, nor have I heard anyone else say they do aside from TetraNitroCubane). Your character model will look fine, while everyone else's looks like a character model/texture quality from Doom. I hope they fix it soon, because it's so jarring.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Fartacus, that character model is your own, yes? The "bug" has to do with OTHER player characters, for the most part (I've never had any issues with the quality of my own, nor have I heard anyone else say they do aside from TetraNitroCubane). Your character model will look fine, while everyone else's looks like a character model/texture quality from Doom. I hope they fix it soon, because it's so jarring.

No, I know about that bug (have it myself), but he specifically referred to his own character as having poor graphics. Maybe it's a variation of the same bug.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
This discussion has been closed.