As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daylight Satans Time

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't care which schedule we are on, but we should pick one and never swap.
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Dear other 49 states,

uh maybe catch up with the 22nd century, bruh

~your pals arizona

things are fucked up when fucking arizona is blazing the way forward

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Switching between the two is fine. Don't change a thing!
    Dear other 49 states,

~your pals arizona

things are fucked up when fucking arizona is blazing the way forward

Or maybe it's a sign that you should reconsider the wisdom of your own choice.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I am the evil which is pro-DST.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    Psykoma wrote: »

Oh so it's your fault huh?!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Larlar
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    "vegemite tastes like bovril" is a really unhelpful string. I need a Google subsearch.

Bovril is basically powdered beef broth. Add it to some hot water in the wintertime and drink it up and hot damn if it doesn't warm you up.

Beef stock (before dilution) is actually pretty close to vegemite, which is interesting because it contains no beef. ONLY VEGGIES!!!

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    "vegemite tastes like bovril" is a really unhelpful string. I need a Google subsearch.

Bovril is basically powdered beef broth. Add it to some hot water in the wintertime and drink it up and hot damn if it doesn't warm you up.

Beef stock (before dilution) is actually pretty close to vegemite, which is interesting because it contains no beef. ONLY VEGGIES!!!

AKA what beef eats. It's pre-beef.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My watch is going to be right again!

Pretty excited.

• Options
    I never bothered to change the clocks on my microwave or stove last fall, but, ironically, I'll probably change them this weekend anyway because they've become rather significantly desynced and it's starting to bug me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I was shocked. Shocked! To discover that so few people are fine with Daylight Savings.

All my clocks automatically switch over because I am a child of the future.

And I'm lovin' those bright, sunshine-y days.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Oh so it's your fault huh?!

Yup, this whole "sunrise at 5 am and sunset at 6 pm in the summer and sunrise at 9 am and sunset at 4 pm in the winter" was just bullshit that I would not tolerate.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    The clocks on my computer, tablet, phone, ipod, and 3ds all auto-update. The clock on my microwave doesn't, but the only time I ever look at the clock on my microwave is when it's actually not being a clock at all because it's counting down to when my corndogs will be done.

I have super erratic sleep patterns to start with though, so swapping in/out an extra hour every few months doesn't really mess me up all that much more than my marginally-functional default anyway.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Dear other 49 states,

~your pals arizona

48, thank you very much.

-Hawaii

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'm so glad I don't have to worry about this, but North Queensland keeps fighting for it. At this point I kinda don't care if they get a separate time zone for it, as silly as that sounds.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Honestly in a global world, time zones don't make much sense any longer. In the Eurozone for instance, why should Portugal and Spain be an hour apart, especially when Spain's more aligned longitudinally with Greenwich than Portugal is? Why should China be one entire time zone, and that if you're traveling south from Russia you could have a sudden jump of three hours or so?

It's one of the very short list of things that North Korea's done sensibly: they moved their time zone to halfway between China and Japan, because they're halfway between China and Japan (previously, and still true for Seoul, they're all Japan). The next step to that is to just have everyone run on GMT. Which yes, means that lunch in New York starts at 1700 and the work-day starts at 1400, but so?

After that, then you can have your debate about daylight savings, but that would be a policy issue for local areas to deal with (say, the government of New York State declares that after April 1st and until November 1st, the workday starts at 1500 hours instead).

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    All clocks do this automatically now anyway

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Honestly in a global world, time zones don't make much sense any longer. In the Eurozone for instance, why should Portugal and Spain be an hour apart, especially when Spain's more aligned longitudinally with Greenwich than Portugal is? Why should China be one entire time zone, and that if you're traveling south from Russia you could have a sudden jump of three hours or so?

It's one of the very short list of things that North Korea's done sensibly: they moved their time zone to halfway between China and Japan, because they're halfway between China and Japan (previously, and still true for Seoul, they're all Japan). The next step to that is to just have everyone run on GMT. Which yes, means that lunch in New York starts at 1700 and the work-day starts at 1400, but so?

After that, then you can have your debate about daylight savings, but that would be a policy issue for local areas to deal with (say, the government of New York State declares that after April 1st and until November 1st, the workday starts at 1500 hours instead).

Because the middle of the day, 1200 hours, is approximately when the sun is above your head. In my day to day life, what time it is halfway across the world doesn't really matter. Sure there's times where it's convenient but most people still only primarily care about what time it is locally, and that time should make sense. Having "noon" occur at 5 PM does not make sense.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I mean if you want to destroy time zones that's fun but making everything GMT seems weird since that's neither the most populous time zone or the most important business center.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Also it's way easier to orient yourself to a new time zone than it would be to the time not corresponding to the same part of the daily cycle. Like, figuring out what time it is right now in England (English forumers, pretend there's a "New" in front of that) is as simply as typing a question into Google or pulling up a second clock on your phone/computer. But going to a new location and having to wake up at 6 PM because that's what time sunrise is there would be confusing and disorienting as hell and way more confusing for you to figure out what time things are happening at.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Larlar
    so, these threads are fallout from all the civil war hype right? trying to pit as many opinions against each other until we start fighting and then Goliath dies?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Daylight savings doesn't even save daylight. It was originally thought up to help out farmers, when it turns out farmers didn't give a fat fuck what time it was. They got up when the sun rose. The arbitrary numbers on their sundial didn't make any difference to the animals or the corn.

Pretty much no matter what you do, there are going to be days where you either drive to work in the dark or drive home in the dark, ain't shit you can do about it. The only difference is for school kids, waiting for the bus in the daylight is MUCH SAFER than in the dark.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    Whoops, I meant to vote that I like the change. But the change in light (both ways) is my favourite part. I mean, it's arbitrary and there's no practical benefit. But I like the sudden change and it's fun for planning night events.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also it's way easier to orient yourself to a new time zone than it would be to the time not corresponding to the same part of the daily cycle. Like, figuring out what time it is right now in England (English forumers, pretend there's a "New" in front of that) is as simply as typing a question into Google or pulling up a second clock on your phone/computer. But going to a new location and having to wake up at 6 PM because that's what time sunrise is there would be confusing and disorienting as hell and way more confusing for you to figure out what time things are happening at.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about it this way

Like, the primary way I run up against time zones is when dealing with other people I work with

My company has offices in London and Brisbane, as well as a lot of remote employees

And I have to work with people in all of the offices, oftentimes scheduling specific things for specific times, which can be kind of irritating

Also I've known people who live on one side of a line and work on the other side

And boy does that ever suck

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    apparently I'm the only person that likes DST, but that's okay because we use DST

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I really wish we could just pick one and stick with it. Tbh my feelings of what it sticks to have changed over time. When I was younger I wanted it to be night all the time so I could play video games. Now, I want the light in the evening so I can go do yard work. What the hell.

Sauerkraut is delicious on Reubens or with brats. Terrible alone.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    Where's BranninganSepp?

• Options
    Where's BranninganSepp?
    Banned for making bad threads.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    And, you know, supporting eugenics.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    so, these threads are fallout from all the civil war hype right? trying to pit as many opinions against each other until we start fighting and then Goliath dies?

We're trying to bring larlar back

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Melding wrote: »

We're trying to bring larlar back

with forumer blood sacrifices?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Where's BranninganSepp?
    Banned for making bad threads.

Oh dang
    And, you know, supporting eugenics.

Oof
    Fuck that

I just meant these far out things- such as standard global time- were pretty out there

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Time is all bullshit, just let me sleep.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    Oh good the time of year where I wonder if my phone will glitch out and not correct for DST. Only caused me to be late once when I had an Iphone years ago but the fear is still there.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    My phone/pc are pretty good at changing time. Last year I didn't even realise that time had changed. I just carried on as if it had always been the new time.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Fuck mornings, they suck. More light for the not horrible part of the day!

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Let's all get on metric time!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Let's all get on metric time!

What is that measured in, parsecs?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    We should make it so that 6 AM is always when the sun comes up and 6 PM is when it goes down. If we're gonna fuck with time, let's really show it who's boss.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    TIME...
    wounds all heals.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Over here in somewhat northern Europe (I live around the 52nd degrees latitude, the same as Vancouver ) DST makes more sense.

In the winter there simply aren't enough hours of sunlight to go around but once more hours become available spreading them to the evening is way more preferential than having the sun come up at 04:30.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    I AM AN ANIMAL OF LIGHT(or the dark, if you prefer), YOUR CLOCKS HOLD NO SWAY OVER ME(except that I'll still go to work on time)!!!!!