As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Every [chat] a Painting

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I should pull out my inner Italian more often.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    a friend of mine got suckered into a door-to-door window replacement

i don't understand why people even answer their doors when they aren't expecting anyone

in my last building i nearly got suckered into switching to semi-scam power provider because the building doesn't let people in and i assumed they were just building staff doing some kind of switchover process

i signed the papers on autopilot (was home sick) and then five minutes later went "DAMMIT" and chased him down the hall and got my papers back

he seemed chill about it, probably not the first time it's happened

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I've even had one or two attempts just asking me to hand the username over. :rotate:

who are these people offering to buy a username, though

unless it's a business or website or something

About half of them are random "gamers" or people with a youtube channel that want it. Some of them are actual companies that want the name for a product.

Of course, selling an account is against Twitter's TOS.

The two could be unrelated.

"I'd like to donate 250k for the release of your twitter handle" etc.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

it's a nice thing to have

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

Until you need to have a conversation around fragile things.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I don't know what's wrong but I am sick. I'm cold as fuck, I'm a bit dizzy my belly hurts a lot. I've got the trots, and I may puke.

I'm dying squirtle.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    it's the mob ties that must be really nice

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Automation isn't scary. We adjust. We always have.

The end result, in the long term? We have so much stuff. Like, holy shit, the abundance we live in.

automation is great and I've never screamed DEATH TO THE MACHINES. HUMANITY UBER ALLES, but we shouldn't disregard the social implications.
    If your widget factory can produce $billions while directly employing only 7 people, including the janitor and widget social media manager, that's fantastic. However, we are going to have to tax you to pay for good paying government infrastructure jobs.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    I don't know what's wrong but I am sick. I'm cold as fuck, I'm a bit dizzy my belly hurts a lot. I've got the trots, and I may puke.

I'm dying squirtle.

lupus

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    peace out [chat] I gotta go install a new ubi router at a remote office, catch you guys on the flippity flip.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

My dad still is awkward as fuck about my being trans. im not even bothered by it, its mostly just funny at this point. He has NO idea how to talk about it with me.

Neco on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

I'm dying squirtle.

Rotavirus?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I've even had one or two attempts just asking me to hand the username over. :rotate:

who are these people offering to buy a username, though

unless it's a business or website or something

About half of them are random "gamers" or people with a youtube channel that want it. Some of them are actual companies that want the name for a product.

Of course, selling an account is against Twitter's TOS.

The two could be unrelated.

"I'd like to donate 250k for the release of your twitter handle" etc.

I wonder how that would even go down if twitter got mad about it.

like ok they shut down the account, so the buyer gets screwed

can the buyer sue the seller to get their money back?

can twitter try to sue the seller? TOSes generally have all sorts of crazy shit that isn't really enforcable

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Penguin glass did a door to door window replacement pitch at my old place.

I looked at the sheet, "seventeen hundred for new windows? I'll run it by wife please leave your number."

PG "you misread the amount it is..."

Me seeing 5 figure estimate instead of 4, "you can let yourself out, now"

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Last time I ordered pizza when I heard the doorbell I was surprised to see 2 women at the door. Thought they were salespeople until I saw the pizza box. I guess lady pizza drivers are doubling up for safety now?

• Options

My dad still is awkward as fuck about my being trans. im not even bothered by it, its mostly just funny at this point. He has NO idea how to talk about it with me.

Haha. So, I was going for the "hands always moving when Italians talk" angle but yep, fragile subjects are met with silence and grunts also.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Last time I ordered pizza when I heard the doorbell I was surprised to see 2 women at the door. Thought they were salespeople until I saw the pizza box. I guess lady pizza drivers are doubling up for safety now?

We all have that DVD

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Xbox One will drop to $300 for a “limited time” next week, Microsoft said today. In other words, don’t ever plan to spend more than that on the console.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Sounds about right. $300 price, with occasional $2xx sales.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    navgoose wrote: »

I looked at the sheet, "seventeen hundred for new windows? I'll run it by wife please leave your number."

How big of a house do you have? For us with 20 windows and a 2 story house, every quote we got came in around $14k. I ended up doing it myself and just the windows were around $5k.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Yeah but I bet it's not an Elite

if you get a non elite xbone

well...

ever had to eat a store brand snack in front of kids that have fruit by the foot?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    So girl chatting with me on okc turned out to be also trans.

Which is totally fine! I have zero problems dating a trans person, but it has alerted me to an observation: I only seem to attract other trans women. I think I might be cis kryptonite.

i've heard a lot of trans girls say this

it's not really that surprising though a lot of trans people wanna date someone who knows what it is to be trans, it makes them more comfortable

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Man, "good paying jobs" is such an awkward phrase I can only read it in Bernie Sanders voice.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    a friend of mine got suckered into a door-to-door window replacement

i don't understand why people even answer their doors when they aren't expecting anyone

in my last building i nearly got suckered into switching to semi-scam power provider because the building doesn't let people in and i assumed they were just building staff doing some kind of switchover process

i signed the papers on autopilot (was home sick) and then five minutes later went "DAMMIT" and chased him down the hall and got my papers back

he seemed chill about it, probably not the first time it's happened

When I was first living in my house I had those guys come along.

I listened to their whole savings thing for a few min then they asked me to sign the paper.

To which I said "I'm not signing anything right now but give me your contact info and I'll look into it."

Of course they got extra pushy saying how the deal might not be there at which point you just go "If you can't give me the deal unless I go in blind you're obviously hiding something so LOLNO get off my porch."

• Options
    My father in law works sales for a rail refurb company (train rail).

He never calls anyone to pitch a sale. He writes up a quote once and endures customer negative response with a semi-polite, "keep my name and number just in case". Almost always gets called back/ repeat customers and even customers of other rail suppliers calling him for help.

Low pressure competent sales people are undervalued.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

The end result, in the long term? We have so much stuff. Like, holy shit, the abundance we live in.

automation is great and I've never screamed DEATH TO THE MACHINES. HUMANITY UBER ALLES, but we shouldn't disregard the social implications.
    If your widget factory can produce $billions while directly employing only 7 people, including the janitor and widget social media manager, that's fantastic. However, we are going to have to tax you to pay for good paying government infrastructure jobs.

the really scary thing IMO is if automation starts to extend to policing and security

if wealth and production are monopolized, and violent power is monopolized, well... the revolution is pretty dead

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I'm dying squirtle.

Have you been bitten by a werewolf lately?

• Options
    My father in law works sales for a rail refurb company (train rail).

He never calls anyone to pitch a sale. He writes up a quote once and endures customer negative response with a semi-polite, "keep my name and number just in case". Almost always gets called back/ repeat customers and even customers of other rail suppliers calling him for help.

Low pressure competent sales people are undervalued.

real sales jobs are about building relationships, not about catching people off guard to rope them into a commitment for short-term gain through exploitation

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

I'm dying squirtle.

Have you been bitten by a werewolf lately?
    That would make my weekend interesting.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

I'm dying squirtle.

Salmon mousse

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Man.

I was just going through a "best league of legends gifs" thread and I recognized way too many of them by their gfycat links without clicking.

I need re-evaluate everything.

• Options

How big of a house do you have? For us with 20 windows and a 2 story house, every quote we got came in around $14k. I ended up doing it myself and just the windows were around $5k.

It was a 1,800ish square foot single story needing only 8 ish new windows (2 were already new). Penguin wanted 17k, a regular window company did it for less than 4k.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    real sales jobs are about building relationships, not about catching people off guard to rope them into a commitment for short-term gain through exploitation

Yeah, it's those pushy commission-based early-20s salescreatures that ruined sales for everyone.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    the really scary thing IMO is if automation starts to extend to policing and security

if wealth and production are monopolized, and violent power is monopolized, well... the revolution is pretty dead

Remember the right to armed bears

what I'm saying here is bear cavalry

• Options

Remember the right to armed bears

what I'm saying here is bear cavalry

I'm not sure bears lay eggs though. Or what eating bear eggs would do to promote revolution.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It appears to be almost time.

• Options
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Will police drones looking for crime to stop in the panopticon have racist algorithms?

This discussion has been closed.