As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daredevil] is a Man Without A Tv Show

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    I also get the point that he likes Jessica Jones series better but objectively Daredevil series so far is in another league in quality.
    I'll probably regret asking this, but in what way is Daredevil objectively better? (Or is this something that's only true after S2, which I haven't yet seen?)

They're very different shows; there's no "objective" superiority of one over the other. Some people don't like a couple side characters of JJ or think that the plot is too dragged out, but that's pretty debatable.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I just finished as well.

Opinions:
    Thought it was way better than the first season. Except the end. Which felt kind of tacked on to me. Why didn't the Punisher intervene sooner? It just felt kind of weak that he takes out the last 4 and then is like "ok, see ya round buddy" But, small complaints. I loved the season and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0a3pD5YWsc

Movie Bob didn't like season 2 apparently.

I think you're confusing being a critic with not liking something. He says he definitely places season 2 over season 1.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I think maybe people are confusing Movie Bob with opinions worth listening to

ayyyyyyyy

(I think Movie Bob sucks get it)

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I think a large portion of my issue with the season thus far - and I really, really like it - is that it's kind of obvious they didn't have enough time to consolidate and trim the story.

Remember S2 was announced as a shock like... two weeks after S1 launched? We originally thought it was going to be one season of each of the Netflix shows and then The Defenders, but the success of Daredevil, I believe, pushed them to rush this one out to maintain momentum.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I also get the point that he likes Jessica Jones series better but objectively Daredevil series so far is in another league in quality.
    I'll probably regret asking this, but in what way is Daredevil objectively better? (Or is this something that's only true after S2, which I haven't yet seen?)

They're very different shows; there's no "objective" superiority of one over the other. Some people don't like a couple side characters of JJ or think that the plot is too dragged out, but that's pretty debatable.

I think they are both great because they do what they do interestingly and well.

JJ is very human. It's about what it is to be a person, and it's very personal.

DD isn't really as personal. It's more about ideals, and it's about conspiracies. While there's a conspiracy in JJ, it's by no means central. But DD is wheels within wheels. It's about getting at the truth.

I like them both, because they give me different experiences.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited March 2016

So Movie Bob hasn't improved much. That was 10 minutes of babble to get to the point that he doesn't like Elektra as its not the character he remembers. I also get the point that he likes Jessica Jones series better but objectively Daredevil series so far is in another league in quality. I also found it funny he rags on Daredevil character being this teenage angst character cool for 10 year olds and then go on a love letter obsession on how the Punisher "Fucking Rocks!!1!".
    Series Spoilers
    He dislikes Electra because she has no agency of her own, and for being wholly motivated by what Stick, Matt, and later the Hand think about her.
    He specifically calls out the original character for not being good either, but at least having agency over her actions.

If you think the Punisher in the show is a teenage angst character, you obviously haven't been watching the show.
    Pony wrote: »

ayyyyyyyy

The level of actual critical analysis in MovieBob's reviews is better than what tends to pop up around here, much less what pops up in opposition to his reviews.

I disagree with him on some key points in the review, but the "lol Bob" response is basically why I subscribe to his channel. Because he stands out as someone within the community who actually does competent reviews without the usual internet level of banter which sums up anything as either sucking or rocking only on surface details without bothering to even recognize why they like something.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    So my wife pointed out that all the lead women in this show are painfully skinny (the blonde, lead prosecutor, elecktra). I can't un-see it now and I'm way more aware of the body variation among the dudes.

Damnit.

It's a bit of an issue, but goddamn they all did such a good job I don't know if you could argue they weren't the best casting decisions. Maybe the DA, but she wasn't a waif like Karen and Electra.
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

So Movie Bob hasn't improved much. That was 10 minutes of babble to get to the point that he doesn't like Elektra as its not the character he remembers. I also get the point that he likes Jessica Jones series better but objectively Daredevil series so far is in another league in quality. I also found it funny he rags on Daredevil character being this teenage angst character cool for 10 year olds and then go on a love letter obsession on how the Punisher "Fucking Rocks!!1!".
    Series Spoilers
    He dislikes Electra because she has no agency of her own, and for being wholly motivated by what Stick, Matt, and later the Hand think about her.
    He specifically calls out the original character for not being good either, but at least having agency over her actions.

If you think the Punisher in the show is a teenage angst character, you obviously haven't been watching the show.
    Wasn't that the point of her whole arc? Her final act was breaking all the shackles and ignoring what the Hand, Stick and to a lesser extent Matt wanted from her.

She chose to stop being the tool and established her own agency and future.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    On Elektra
    The whole point is that she's constantly being told what to do by everyone in her life. Even Matt, whose message by the end is basically just "you don't have to do what they want you to do" is still giving her orders. Giving her life for Matt's is really the first time she's done something that literally no one else involved wanted her to do. That's a pretty important moment for her.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    On Elektra
    The whole point is that she's constantly being told what to do by everyone in her life. Even Matt, whose message by the end is basically just "you don't have to do what they want you to do" is still giving her orders. Giving her life for Matt's is really the first time she's done something that literally no one else involved wanted her to do. That's a pretty important moment for her.
    The fact that she changes in the end doesn't change that they made an adult character who has apparently never made any major decisions for herself in her life up to this point. Everything she's done has been dictated by either Stick or Matt, and that's pretty ridiculous for a character we're supposed to accept as both an adult and as a wild, care free woman.

Having her make a decision for herself at the very end before dying because of that decision doesn't help.

• Options
    On Elektra
    The fact that she changes in the end doesn't change that they made an adult character who has apparently never made any major decisions for herself in her life up to this point. Everything she's done has been dictated by either Stick or Matt, and that's pretty ridiculous for a character we're supposed to accept as both an adult and as a wild, care free woman.

Having her make a decision for herself at the very end before dying because of that decision doesn't help.
    I don't think I'm making the case that it helps. Just that it was a point in her arc as a character. If you look at the rest of her behavior as a form of rebellion against the people that are trying to give her orders, teenager style, then her behavior makes more sense.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I think you're confusing being a critic with not liking something. He says he definitely places season 2 over season 1.

I say that from his ranting and raving being from complaints, he barely says what he likes about it. And he had serious issues with season 1 as well.

• Options
    sometimes i think people just dont want to enjoy things.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Finished episode 2 last night.

My review of the first two episodes:
    It's pretty awesome.

:P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

I say that from his ranting and raving being from complaints, he barely says what he likes about it. And he had serious issues with season 1 as well.

I think that's because "Seriously the Punisher guys holy shit" is pretty much all you need to say when it comes to why this season was good.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    So my wife pointed out that all the lead women in this show are painfully skinny (the blonde, lead prosecutor, elecktra). I can't un-see it now and I'm way more aware of the body variation among the dudes.

Damnit.

It's a bit of an issue, but goddamn they all did such a good job I don't know if you could argue they weren't the best casting decisions. Maybe the DA, but she wasn't a waif like Karen and Electra.

I can see where you guys are coming from but I'm not sure you're using the best terminology there.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Loved it all.

Cameo spoiler no seems to have mentioned:
    Madame Gao. I loved how disappointed she was Matt just wanted to talk about heroin, and how she shifts tone from woman of cosmic mystery to "Oh ok, sure, some guy is horning in on my heroin business and I'm super concerned about it because I'm a drug dealer. Good job connecting those threads, Matt. Eye roll."

That was my read on it, anyway.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Loved it all.

Madame Gao. I loved how disappointed she was Matt just wanted to talk about heroin, and how she shifts tone from woman of cosmic mystery to "Oh ok, sure, some guy is horning in on my heroin business and I'm super concerned about it because I'm a drug dealer. Good job connecting those threads, Matt. Eye roll."

Ahaha, that was exactly what I felt too!
    Oh you don't wanna know about the gigantic fucking hole in the city? Or the Black Sky stuff? How these ninjas have no heartbeats? Heroin, sure why not.

In other news I am watching 2004's Punisher, starring Thomas Jane. Yo this movie sucks. How far we've come.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Loved it all.

I was a little surprised that daredevil didn't just grab her by the throat and demand answers like he does with everyone else, until my girlfriend pointed out to me how his doing that would look on screen.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    Loved it all.

I was a little surprised that daredevil didn't just grab her by the throat and demand answers like he does with everyone else, until my girlfriend pointed out to me how his doing that would look on screen.
    Also the fact that she kung fu punked him once, and could very likely do so again.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Loved it all.

Also the fact that she kung fu punked him once, and could very likely do so again.
    Oh I'd forgotten about that. Though that's still more caution than he'd shown Punisher and Fisk their second fights. Maybe even with Nobu too.

edit:
    Point is, normally he'll use violence to extract information or bring people in. The people on the receiving end normally are criminals of some sort. He still ought to have a problem with her running a heroin business in Hell's Kitchen and her blinded workers. So going by Daredevil's MO, he should've had no cause for restraint.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Loved it all.

Oh I'd forgotten about that. Though that's still more caution than he'd shown Punisher and Fisk their second fights. Maybe even with Nobu too.
    A fight with Punisher and Fisk is a pretty straightforward affair, but this old woman had somehow knocked him across the room and since he didn't understand it, it makes sense to give her a more wide berth. He probably also noticed her heartbeat, and that she didn't give one shit that he was standing in the room.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Loved it all.

A fight with Punisher and Fisk is a pretty straightforward affair, but this old woman had somehow knocked him across the room and since he didn't understand it, it makes sense to give her a more wide berth. He probably also noticed her heartbeat, and that she didn't give one shit that he was standing in the room.
    That's still more restraint than he's shown anywhere else. She pretty much just sucker punched him. He's not going to assume there's a supernatural element here. He doesn't believe in that. At least not yet. Daredevil has gotten shown up by an enemy in much worse ways than that and not shied away from a fight with them a second time.

On top of that, he still has cause to apprehend her, but sort of just lets her go.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Loved it all.

That's still more restraint than he's shown anywhere else. She pretty much just sucker punched him. He's not going to assume there's a supernatural element here. He doesn't believe in that. At least not yet. Daredevil has gotten shown up by an enemy in much worse ways than that and not shied away from a fight with them a second time.

On top of that, he still has cause to apprehend her, but sort of just lets her go.

No...
    She's a feeble old woman who with one punch knocked Matt across the warehouse.

I think he knows something is hinky.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Loved it all.

No...

Plus
    they have had conversations without the need for violence before.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Loved it all.

No...

There's no evidence of that. In fact only the contrary: he's consistently doubtful whenever Stick talks about anything supernatural. "Hinky" isn't something Matt buys into.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

Series Spoilers

ayyyyyyyy

The level of actual critical analysis in MovieBob's reviews is better than what tends to pop up around here, much less what pops up in opposition to his reviews.

I disagree with him on some key points in the review, but the "lol Bob" response is basically why I subscribe to his channel. Because he stands out as someone within the community who actually does competent reviews without the usual internet level of banter which sums up anything as either sucking or rocking only on surface details without bothering to even recognize why they like something.

I have watched the show quite well thanks, however I was specifically quoting Bob's like on the Punisher as ironic as its exactly what a teenage angst person would say. For him to also state that Matt throughout both seasons is nothing more than this is pretty shallow thinking. I also agree with some of his points in the review and do feel when he is on the ball, Bob can do excellent critical analysis. But his presentation his reviews of late have been so drawn out with half of his reviews reserved to waffle before getting to any of his points through, its getting painful to watch of late.

Jessica Jones the series is fine and has very different themes to Daredevil but when you put them in to comparison, pacing wise is all over the place and seems to have been shot a lot of the time like its an afterthought. When you consider what the character can and has done in the comics it felt like it was playing way too safe even for a Marvel production.

• Options
    edited March 2016

I think that's because "Seriously the Punisher guys holy shit" is pretty much all you need to say when it comes to why this season was good.

I disagree. Punisher's definitely the stand out, he's hardly the only reason the season is good. Kingpin was excellent in season 1 too, and like this he's not the sole contribution to how amazing the show was.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Series Spoilers

ayyyyyyyy

I have watched the show quite well thanks, however I was specifically quoting Bob's like on the Punisher as ironic as its exactly what a teenage angst person would say. For him to also state that Matt throughout both seasons is nothing more than this is pretty shallow thinking.

That isn't what he said at all!
    It probably sounds like I’m ragging on this season and the series in a general and, I should stress, I’m not. Apart from the existing issues with the costuming and the pacing and the lighting (or rather lack thereof) and the huge Elektra-shaped dead weight dragging down the back half I actually really dig and have a lot of fun with DAREDEVIL – including some of the stuff that doesn’t totally work.

DAREDEVIL is the most “serious” Marvel production so far, which, paradoxically, often makes it the silliest Marvel production: I mean, we’re supposed to laugh during ANT-MAN, but as much I enjoyed ANT-MAN none of the *intentionally* funny parts in it were anywhere near as funny as watch Cox’s Daredevil seethe and glower and clench his fists and grit his bloody teeth with all the turgid solemnity of an angst-ridden middle schooler determinedly etching Pantera lyrics into his Alegbra textbook while the soundtrack thunders and rages with funereal self-importance while up onscreen he’s… doing rhythmic Cirque Du Soliel kick-flips with a bunch of ninjas straight out of a Godfrey Ho movie against the backdrop of a cartoon anachronism of Hell’s Kitchen circa-1982.

Intentional or note, that kind of mismatched tonal whiplash is right the hell up my alley. The great thing about the Marvel productions in general is that they afford so many different entertainment experiences: JESSICA JONES made me think, AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. is a nice mellow distraction, the AVENGERS movies are (at their best) inspiring and I fully expect CIVIL WAR to be a fucking emotional rollercoaster. DAREDEVIL, two seasons in, feels mostly like a weird, nasty, lurid footnote of a thing, but a generally well made one that occasionally (as in the case of The Punisher this season) manages genuine greatness. I really wish they hadn’t tried to force Elektra in this time around – or, rather,

• Options

Series Spoilers

ayyyyyyyy

I have watched the show quite well thanks, however I was specifically quoting Bob's like on the Punisher as ironic as its exactly what a teenage angst person would say. For him to also state that Matt throughout both seasons is nothing more than this is pretty shallow thinking.

It probably sounds like I’m ragging on this season and the series in a general and, I should stress, I’m not. Apart from the existing issues with the costuming and the pacing and the lighting (or rather lack thereof) and the huge Elektra-shaped dead weight dragging down the back half I actually really dig and have a lot of fun with DAREDEVIL – including some of the stuff that doesn’t totally work.

DAREDEVIL is the most “serious” Marvel production so far, which, paradoxically, often makes it the silliest Marvel production: I mean, we’re supposed to laugh during ANT-MAN, but as much I enjoyed ANT-MAN none of the *intentionally* funny parts in it were anywhere near as funny as watch Cox’s Daredevil seethe and glower and clench his fists and grit his bloody teeth with all the turgid solemnity of an angst-ridden middle schooler determinedly etching Pantera lyrics into his Alegbra textbook while the soundtrack thunders and rages with funereal self-importance while up onscreen he’s… doing rhythmic Cirque Du Soliel kick-flips with a bunch of ninjas straight out of a Godfrey Ho movie against the backdrop of a cartoon anachronism of Hell’s Kitchen circa-1982.

Intentional or note, that kind of mismatched tonal whiplash is right the hell up my alley. The great thing about the Marvel productions in general is that they afford so many different entertainment experiences: JESSICA JONES made me think, AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. is a nice mellow distraction, the AVENGERS movies are (at their best) inspiring and I fully expect CIVIL WAR to be a fucking emotional rollercoaster. DAREDEVIL, two seasons in, feels mostly like a weird, nasty, lurid footnote of a thing, but a generally well made one that occasionally (as in the case of The Punisher this season) manages genuine greatness. I really wish they hadn’t tried to force Elektra in this time around – or, rather,

Having never listened to one of his reviews, i can't form a total judgement. I will say, however, that the above reads like someone i'd describe as "a real stick in the mud".
    Spends one sentence saying "no i had fun" and then 2 paragraphs word vomitting and trying to sound complex with his damning praise.
    ".....near as funny as watch Cox’s Daredevil seethe and glower and clench his fists and grit his bloody teeth with all the turgid solemnity of an angst-ridden middle schooler determinedly etching Pantera lyrics into his Alegbra textbook while the soundtrack thunders and rages with funereal self-importance"

Eye.Fucking.Roll.

Give me a break man. Its Daredevil. Its a comic book tv show. Just....this isn't The Wire man.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    For those that have finished it.
    Did they ever address Matt going deaf for that one scene? It seemed like they were gonna make that into a thing. I binged this season, so I was a little out of it by the end and might have missed it if it was mentioned.

Nah (episode 2 spoilers)
    that was just a side effect of Punisher shooting him in the head. It doesn't happen again, far as I remember.
    My roommate mentioned that temporary deafness can be a side effect of concussions.
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Ok something I'm a little confused about
    Did they ever explain the MASSIVE FREAKING HOLE?

Nope.

There's also
    Black Sky, which is still extremely unexplained what it is.

And the
    creepy blood donating, ichor incubating kids.

And "the Rising."
    Black Sky was their leader back in the day, they think Elektra is the reincarnation of this person.

I figured "The Rising" was just what they call their ressurction process that Stick was on about.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Series Spoilers

ayyyyyyyy

Having never listened to one of his reviews, i can't form a total judgement. I will say, however, that the above reads like someone i'd describe as "a real stick in the mud".
    Spends one sentence saying "no i had fun" and then 2 paragraphs word vomitting and trying to sound complex with his damning praise.
    ".....near as funny as watch Cox’s Daredevil seethe and glower and clench his fists and grit his bloody teeth with all the turgid solemnity of an angst-ridden middle schooler determinedly etching Pantera lyrics into his Alegbra textbook while the soundtrack thunders and rages with funereal self-importance"

Eye.Fucking.Roll.

Give me a break man. Its Daredevil. Its a comic book tv show. Just....this isn't The Wire man.

Yeah. It's just comic book kids stuff. It's not real art and thus not worthy of real critique.

Right?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The Ender wrote: »

Series Spoilers

ayyyyyyyy

Eye.Fucking.Roll.

Yeah. It's just comic book kids stuff. It's not real art and thus not worthy of real critique.

Right?

In some respects, being overly critical of iconic camp in a comic-derived IP is like criticizing a fresco for employing plaster.

Are there better things to paint on than wet plaster? Sure, but it wouldn't be a fresco, it would just be some painting.

Standing on a rooftop mugging angrily at the sky is practically a required genre element here. A little cheesy, perhaps, but not out of place.

E: I'm not sure saying it amused you is being overly critical; just making the point that allowing for comic book cliches in your critique is not the same as placing them beyond criticism.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options

Series Spoilers

ayyyyyyyy

Eye.Fucking.Roll.

Right?

It's worthy of critique, it's weird how DD isn't impressing him. It's better than many Marvel movies, for instance. I'm not sure exactly what he wants from it. Did he like Nolan's Batman? And if he does like it, why doesn't he barely talk about what he enjoyed?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Ok something I'm a little confused about
    Did they ever explain the MASSIVE FREAKING HOLE?

Nope.

There's also
    Black Sky, which is still extremely unexplained what it is.

And the
    creepy blood donating, ichor incubating kids.

And "the Rising."
    Black Sky was their leader back in the day, they think Elektra is the reincarnation of this person.

I figured "The Rising" was just what they call their ressurction process that Stick was on about.

Except Elektra
    wasn't the only Black Sky. There was that kid the Hand were trying to smuggle into New York from last season. After he killed the kid, Stick said that Black Sky wasn't a threat, for now. And Nobu called Elektra "it," which implies that Black Sky is not a person.

It's implied that "the rising" is something that is coming, not something they're already doing.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Episode 5

One episode in and Elektra's hella annoying, and I think I know why:

They're mixing her with Typhoid Mary, because Mary had some characterization beyond the fisticuffs. So instead of this happy woman turned cold and bitter by life, they're making her manic pixie sociopath girl.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

Series Spoilers

ayyyyyyyy

Eye.Fucking.Roll.

Right?

It's worthy of critique, it's weird how DD isn't impressing him. It's better than many Marvel movies, for instance. I'm not sure exactly what he wants from it. Did he like Nolan's Batman? And if he does like it, why doesn't he barely talk about what he enjoyed?

I'm not sure, but I think it's cheap to discount his criticism because it's detailed / long-winded or because of the nature of the subject. Yes, even if he's addressing a genre trope, that's still perfectly legitimate critique (an artist should absolutely be expected to think about why they are using genre tropes, and if one cannot really defend it aside from, "Well, that's just what happens in [genre] so it happened in my work," it's fair to call it lazy, IMHO).

Bob appreciates things in Marvel films that I personally don't and forgives things I think are flaws (Sorry Bob, but no, the Green Goblin costume really was terrible, and yes, it really did look like a low rent Power Ranger villain piece. Nothing wrong with the Power Rangers, but it was out of place & looked cheap). That's fine, because critique pieces & critics themselves are as subjective as the artwork being examined.

I don't think that's a good reason to roll your eyes at a deeper look at any piece of art. You don't like the criticism / don't feel it's fair / don't feel that the reviewer's opinion is consistent? Cool. There's no reason to denigrate the art or the whole practice of critiquing art by saying, "Well it's just comic books anyway," instead of just saying you don't enjoy the opinion of the reviewer and / or think the review is wrong.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    What I'm saying personally is that his style of review really, really irritates me. He's very negative about stuff he likes, which tends to be the opposite of what I look for in a review, and the self-satisfied way he goes about making a handful of points using a rant-like myriad of sentences seems to simply be a smokescreen to cover the fact that like a box of unsharpened pencils, he really doesn't have very many at all, which is fine and a good way to mine humor out of this particular approach to criticism, but it doesn't lend itself well to coming across clearly.

That's all.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I'm not sure, but I think it's cheap to discount his criticism because it's detailed / long-winded or because of the nature of the subject. Yes, even if he's addressing a genre trope, that's still perfectly legitimate critique (an artist should absolutely be expected to think about why they are using genre tropes, and if one cannot really defend it aside from, "Well, that's just what happens in [genre] so it happened in my work," it's fair to call it lazy, IMHO).

I'm not discounting everything he said, since I don't have all of it. I don't know what he liked about it, and since it didn't seem like a big priority for him to share with his audience it mustn't have been that amazing.
    Bob appreciates things in Marvel films that I personally don't and forgives things I think are flaws (Sorry Bob, but no, the Green Goblin costume really was terrible, and yes, it really did look like a low rent Power Ranger villain piece. Nothing wrong with the Power Rangers, but it was out of place & looked cheap). That's fine, because critique pieces & critics themselves are as subjective as the artwork being examined.

True, but I appreciate critics who go into detail with what he likes, and he primarily does that with things that he hates. He goes to town on Fan4tastic, and Pixels - yet for things he supposedly likes he prefers not to go into detail about the good stuff? I feel like I'm getting half an opinion here, or he doesn't like it as much as he claims to.
    I don't think that's a good reason to roll your eyes at a deeper look at any piece of art. You don't like the criticism / don't feel it's fair / don't feel that the reviewer's opinion is consistent? Cool. There's no reason to denigrate the art or the whole practice of critiquing art by saying, "Well it's just comic books anyway," instead of just saying you don't enjoy the opinion of the reviewer and / or think the review is wrong.

I'm not writing off all critics and I didn't do the eyeball, that was someone else. The good critics do what he did, and so much more - like Red Letter Media. By the time I'm finished watching their reviews I know where they stand with everything on what they're watching. The good, the bad, the mediocre, I know all of it. Nor am I saying this show deserve lesser analyzing since it's based on a comic book - I'm saying this show deserves better acclaim because it's better than most tv shows I watch, and I watch a lot of tv shows. And movies too. This goes double for Jessica Jones.

Unfortunately all I know about Bob's opinion is what things he hates about this show, and a shred of what he liked about it. Maybe. He wasn't interested in discussing that aspect in his review.

I will say a sympathize with the argument that he's a hypocrite about adoring Punisher while finding Daredevil lame. Daredevil did all that shit in season 1. Ep 3 spoilers
    He was on the other end of the super-hero argument with Nelson too. Which was a spectacular episode.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    episode 6

Elektra's still annoying as all get out. Plus the whole pretend to be having sex to get out of being caught seemed rather forced.

The entire Frank/Karen/Foggy stuff was aces, especially the family stuff topped off with Frank being Frank and just going fuck you. Bernthal needs to be nominated for an Emmy.

I just want to say more than anything I love Frank's theme. It has taken that terrible bwaaaaaaam from all the trailers always and made it more menacing like he's Pyramid Head or something. Best piece of music in the Netflix stuff by far.