Options

Work sixteen [Job] and what do you get...

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Standing loudly.

You know when I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if our american sense of comfortable conversational distance and personal space is also translated into how we walk, stand, and interact with the world.

I remember reading something somewhere about americans always spacing themselves out more when standing in conversation than europeans, on account of america just generally being less population dense.

Who knows, may well be pop psychology bullshit anyway.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    In case anyone cares, and I used to do credit card disputes and fraud for my job so I kinda do, here are the liability changes for Counterfeit and Lost/Stolen Cards with the chip, from the EMV Liability Shift White Paper
    de3l21bo335g.png
    3 - Data from a contact chip card.

Beginning in October 2015 for American Express, Discover and MasterCard, the acquirer/merchant may
    also be liable for a chargeback resulting from fraud if:
    1. A PIN-preferring (either online or offline PIN) chip card that has been stolen (not a copy or
    counterfeit) is presented at a magnetic stripe-only POS device/application, and the stolen chip
    card is processed as a magnetic stripe transaction OR
    2. A PIN-preferring (either online or offline PIN) chip card that has been stolen (not a copy or
    counterfeit) is presented at a chip-enabled merchant POS device/application that does not
    support either online or offline PIN, and the stolen chip card is processed as a signature chip
    transaction

oz7vjma61ui5.png

* Magnetic stripe liability shift rules apply.

Magnetic Stripe Liability Rules, according to Visa
    Rule 1: A traditional magnetic stripe card is swiped by the
    customer at a magnetic stripe terminal.
    If the purchase is a counterfeit transaction, the merchant
    is generally not liable, just like today

Rule 2: A chip card is used at a traditional magnetic
    stripe-only terminal.
    If the purchase is a counterfeit transaction, the
    merchant generally holds liability, because the
    issuer has made the investment in chip technology
    to make transactions more secure while the
    merchant did not invest in upgrading to chip

Rule 3: A chip card is used at a chip-enabled terminal that
    has been activated by the merchant.
    If the purchase is a counterfeit transaction, the merchant
    is not liable, and the issuer will continue to bear the
    responsibility of counterfeit fraudulent activity

Esceptions: Liability for automated fuel dispensers and ATM
    transactions shifts in October 2017.
    The EMV liability shift does not apply to
    card-not-present transactions, lost and stolen
    fraud, or Visa payWave transactions. In these
    cases, the liability remains subject to existing
    liability and chargeback rules.

** If PIN was prompted and approved, magnetic stripe liability rules apply.
    *** Lost or stolen liability shift applies to only legitimate cards that are lost or stolen based on issuer determination.
    **** Payment networks have slightly different policies. In the U.S. for MasterCard and Discover, if a merchant decides to
    support PIN, the terminal must support both online and offline PIN. In the U.S. for American Express, the merchant
    terminal can support either offline PIN, online PIN or both. In all three cases, the issuer retains liability if a fraudulent
    lost or stolen PIN-preferring chip card is used at a chip-enabled terminal that supports PIN.

PIN Entry Bypass: In the case where PIN entry bypass is invoked and is properly identified by the
    acquirer/merchant in the authorization message as specified by the EMV specification, liability stays
    with the issuer if the issuer approves the transaction.

So if the investigation determines that a counterfeit card was used, and this determination often rests on the sole fact of whether or not the card holder claims they still possess the card, the merchant is only liable for the transaction if they have not upgraded. If they have upgraded, they can not be held liable for any fraudulent transactions with a counterfeit card.

For fraudulent transactions with a Lost or Stolen Chipped Card, if the merchant has not upgraded they're basically liable every single time, and this is the major change merchants have the biggest issue with. If they have upgraded to a chip reader terminal but it doesn't have the ability to do the tap and pay, and the card is a PIN-preferring CVM card the merchant will be liable unless the PIN was entered and approved. If they did this halfway-upgrade and the card is a Signature-preferring CVM card the issuer is liable

If the merchant upgraded but goes with a CVM service that can NOT accept a PIN purchase and the card used was a PIN-preferring card the merchant is liable every time, but if the card is a Signature-preferring card the issuer is liable every time. If the merchant upgrades and also uses a CVM that does accept pins the issuer is liable every single time.

Whats a CVM? That stands for Card Verification Method, and it's just what it says it is. Every card issuer determines whether they would prefer their card holders to use a signature or a PIN with each transaction, and then flags it as either a Signature-preferring or PIN-preferring and the new terminals can tell which card needs what and prompts the card holder for a signature or PIN depending on the cards preference. Confusingly, the merchant can get a terminal and card servicer that doesn't accept PIN-preferring CVMs and forces them to act as a Signature-preferring card. This means the merchant assumes full liability from fraud transactions on PIN-preferring cards. If the merchant goes the full upgrade route and gets a CVM that can handle PINs they basically have zero liability for fraudulent transactions.

I'm going to assume the vast majority of cards out there will be PIN-preferring cards, and the merchants that can't afford a full upgrade and service are going to be screwed. All those merchants that use Square or a similar package, or aren't able to/haven't fully upgraded with a PIN-preferring CVM service? Yeah, probably incredibly screwed on any transaction that's ever reported as fraudulent.

So glad I got out of credit card fraud and disputes when I did.

Veevee on
  • Options
    On an unrelated note, the snack vending machine for guests is completely out except for some gum and single pack of lifesavers on the bottom row. Put it in our incident tracking software as "After taking the last lifesaver, Vending Machine Needs Food Badly."

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    On an unrelated note, the snack vending machine for guests is completely out except for some gum and single pack of lifesavers on the bottom row. Put it in our incident tracking software as "After taking the last lifesaver, Vending Machine Needs Food Badly."

That gave me a gauntlet flashback.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I may have been fired! Hooray!

Honestly, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But man is the reason I'm up for dismissal is pure garbage.

*edit angry rant*

I know I will land on my feet, I suppose is it better to quit or be fired? I want unemployment for obvious reasons, but I don't know if I want my tenure at this job to be tainted. I have great references from co-workers and past managers. Was there for a year and a half.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    I have been to a few places with the chip and I don't really get the difference between it and a magslide

the difference is pretty simple

A magnetic strip is only able to hold a tiny amount of data. Specifically the data it holds is the number on the front of your card. All the strip is doing is instantly inputting that number into the reader instead of the store clerk manually inputting it through the touchpad.

The chip, on the other hand, holds an encrypted code. It is not the number on the front, it's a much much larger number, and that number is a) verified by other data on the chip, and b) never actually communicated to the store computer. A chip can't be cloned as simply as a magnetic strip, in fact I don't think they can be cloned at all. If you need a new one, the encoding on the old one is canceled and stops functioning.

Put simply, the mag strip is like a secret code and a chip is like a fingerprint scanner.
    Someone can over hear you speaking a secret code and then use the code themselves, but they can't use your fingerprint unless they have your finger.

It can be cloned. It's an RFID chip, and the utter insecurity of that is mind boggling. Hackers pretty regularly prove it at DefCon and Black Hat, and have played games with cloning/reading RFID at a distance.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular

Honestly, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. But man is the reason I'm up for dismissal is pure garbage.

*edit angry rant*

I know I will land on my feet, I suppose is it better to quit or be fired? I want unemployment for obvious reasons, but I don't know if I want my tenure at this job to be tainted. I have great references from co-workers and past managers. Was there for a year and a half.

I read what you said before you edited out and honestly I don't think it's going to make a whit of difference in the short term. If you made sales and your job was sales then I think that will go a long way.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's crazy because of the cash in I was doing, but again, it's mostly political and that's out of my hands. I'm grateful to have co-workers who will go to bat for me. I truly am thankful for that.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Is there a word for that kind of thinking, where you blithely assume the world revolves around you/other people have access to all the same information you do, not in an entitled way exactly but just as a brain fart? I used to make the same kind of error all the time as a kid, so I assume it's fairly common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind

Usually developed in humans by about 3 years old :P

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    It's pretty rare in my area, but yeah there's quite a few folks who still think NASA money should be used on more useful things like, I don't know, Eagles Stadium or some shit.
    Radiation wrote: »
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    My new litmus test is showing people at work the SpaceX drone ship landing.

"Holy shit."
    "WOah holy shit."
    "That's not real is it? Is this a game video?"
    "The space program is such a waste of tax payer dollars." -Never talk to this person again.

Edit: Embed just in case you haven't seen this yet:
    https://youtu.be/sYmQQn_ZSys

Holy shit those people are real?

Yeah, they are. They also refuse to listen to any cogent explanation of how research funding is actually a good thing and led to the creation of most of the modern conveniences they take for granted.

... aaaannnd SpaceX is a private company. It is not NASA.

They do get paid by NASA though. I'm not sure what the specifics are, but they won't stop some blowhard from going, "See! We pay the government taxes, the government gives the money to NASA, and then NASA gives money to SpaceX! THOSE ARE MY TAX DOLLARS!"

Yeah, I guess you could swing it that way. NASA did put in a chunk (mostly as pre-launch contracting services though), but if they hadn't Musk would have tried to fund it from other sources. Course, it's still an asinine argument.

edit: now I wonder what's the Venn diagram for people who think we shouldn't fund space travel and people who think we shouldn't fund the EPA/conserve planetary resources. I would bet there's a significant overlap, and I would bet the cognitive dissonance doesn't bother them a whit.

"Fuck you, got mine"

"Rapture is coming"

"All scientists are liars"

Roll 2d6. If you rolled 2-8, turn to page 5 to start your adventure. If you rolled 9-10, turn to page 7...

• Options
    ICUb wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

That gave me a gauntlet flashback.

That gave me a simpsons flashback.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I love the conversion to chip cards, and how salty card thieves get when you tell them no, we can't just run it as credit.
    The other day at CVS I had a cashier get salty at me about the chip reader. I put my card in, and I waited, and I waited, and I waited, and I eventually commented "Wow this chip reader is really slow" and he shoots back "All chip readers are slow".

No, dude, your chip readers take about 3x as long as any other I've ever used.

not in other countries :whistle:

Quit lording your fancy internet infrastructure and secure financial transactions and free healthcare over us.

Oh wait, you live in the US now. Jokes on you!

"fancy internet infrastructure" bwa ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HAH!!

You're 14th.

We're 31st...

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    how did they pick you out as american in the queue

were you wearing sneakers and a baseball cap

I was literally wondering this the whole time I was there.

I saw a group of three in the park today and when I was walking towards them I thought, "those guys sure look and move like Americans"

And as I walked past them, they were indeed talking to each other with American accents

True story
    Seriously.

I spent a week or so in Vienna and could absolutely tell the Americans from the Europeans. It was fuckin' weird when I realized it, but there it was.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I've been hearing rumblings about how many stores do have the chip machines but they can't actually get them functioning until they're certified, which the credit companies have been dragging their feet on because it'll put the onus of responsibility on them when fraud occurs instead of the stores.

It's not so much dragging their feet because of change of onus of responsibility, so much as a change of onus on responsibility has made every fucking supermarket, cornerstore, and retailer in the country try to upgrade at once and they only have a handful of people qualified to certify. They just can't get around all the locations fast enough to keep up with the rate of change that occurred in the past couple years leading into this.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The good news is that I've gotten plenty of rest after my late night shifts this week. The bad news is that I'm now wired exactly 12 hours off from my next shift. :sad:

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So the smoke from the prairie fires in Kansas/Oklahoma reached us. Jesus. We are pretty far away from them but it is super smoky everywhere outside like a medium fog. Just driving to work in my car and I am coughing. I feel sorry for people with lung problems.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I had that last year with Washington's wildfires blowing in the wind into Seattle, unsettling to think of that being someone's home.....or pet.....or livestock.

Oh, and I've gotten a facebook blurp that might mean an coworker I tried to get closer to has died. It was something from his sister tagging him and nothing mentioning his name. I discovered father is facebook friends with a lot of my family so this makes things more dreadful if true. I actually put in the effort when he was here and never got a text back when moved to Cali.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

*edit angry rant*

Quitting means no unemployment most places and usually delayed unemployment if any. Keep that in mind.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Right. Last assignment for my Children's Lit class is done. Just have the final class on Friday.

Next up for my Library Grad courses is Storytelling. It meets four days a week but only for the month of June.

Kinda wish I had more money so I could take a second class over the summer and get this masters faster.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So the smoke from the prairie fires in Kansas/Oklahoma reached us. Jesus. We are pretty far away from them but it is super smoky everywhere outside like a medium fog. Just driving to work in my car and I am coughing. I feel sorry for people with lung problems.
    It's been pretty crappy for sure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Hey guys.

When writing a cover letter, would you recommend addressing why I got fired in my last job. The online application requires me to put my work history and put why I'm no longer there, so they would already know I was fired.

Kinda thinking of trying to meet the question head on.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Hey guys.

When writing a cover letter, would you recommend addressing why I got fired in my last job. The online application requires me to put my work history and put why I'm no longer there, so they would already know I was fired.

Kinda thinking of trying to meet the question head on.

Don't say you were fired, say that you left because the job was a poor fit for you. Or some other phrasing that doesn't paint you in a bad light but highlights the job requirements weren't in your strong areas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Nope.

Don't give them reasons to not interview you. If you got a good reason for being fired, great, but until anyone asks that's your business.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I was lucky that the one job I was fired from was a government contractor position, so I just say that the contract wasn't renewed. I mean, the reason I was fired was because the government person working with us wanted another contractor, and keep hounding the contractor (who then fired half of its workers to try to keep him happy)(when the contract went up for bids, they still lost it).

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Nope.

Don't give them reasons to not interview you. If you got a good reason for being fired, great, but until anyone asks that's your business.

Yeah, especially given that unless they're itching for a lawsuit, all they'll say when people call them is "Yes, this person worked for us from X date to Y date"

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Workplace Drama IV: The Aftermath

When K was leaving yesterday, he apologized again, to J personally, then to me, then to the office group. However S and the new CEO were behind closed doors and didn't hear it. For what it's worth, I thought the apologies were honest and sincere, and touched all the appropriate areas.
    When I got in this morning, J and I had a quick conversation about it, and she said that she didn't feel safe around him, that she didn't know if he was going to go get his gun or what, a thought that had crossed my mind as well. But J also told me that when K has gone off on her in the past, there wasn't anyone around, and that S knew all this, it had been going on for years, but that S had never done anything about it.
    K is on vacation for the next two days, and S is out of town from Monday to Thursday next week.

I like K as a person, I think he's a pretty good, fun, funny guy, and get that he and J don't get along. I also like J and she's been a real ace as far as I'm concerned. But nobody should have to be in fear in the workplace, and her fear is well-founded. I don't see how K can be allowed to continue to work here, but I kinda don't think S is going to fire him.

DRAMA!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I know asking medical advice of randoms on the internet is probably dumb, but I'm not getting to a doctor until Tuesday at earliest, and I know some people here are knowledgeable in medical/pharmacological stuff

Spoilered for ickyness I guess and also irrelevance to a job thread, though to me everything is kind of work related because I live at work
    so I have this stupid toe I have mentioned before. Lost the nail, which has been growing back and now gone ingrown and gotten infected. I was just treating it with antiseptic and it got a bit better, but now has gotten worse. Bad enough that I think maybe I should get it looked at.

I can get to a doctor on Tuesday maybe and I'm guessing they'll give me antibiotics, but I already have all these doxycycline tablets that I was taking as an antimalarial until I stopped bothering. Apparently doxycycline isn't ideal for staph infections but can be somewhat effective. So I was thinking of taking them at least until I get to the doctor because I don't want septiciemia and horrible toe death. So my question is will taking less effective antibiotics somehow make the situation worse than if I didn't take them at all?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Don't take antibiotics you haven't been prescribed for the specific thing they were prescribed for.

You can try soaking your foot in an Epsom salt bath. That's what they had me do to help clear out the infection before they dealt with my ingrown toenails when i was a kid.

Edit:i need to somehow fix the first sentence, but I'm having trouble navigating the negatives. I think you know what i mean.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what Epsom salts are but I am 110% positive we do not have them

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what Epsom salts are but I am 110% positive we do not have them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_sulfate might be labeled as that?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Seconding the don't take the antibiotics till the doctor gives them to you - there may be a possibility of drug interaction that you won't want.
    I'd try to soak my toe in hot water a few times a day, keep it wrapped in sterile cotton or guaze if you have it (I've used toilet paper as well, but would hesitate to recommend it to anyone), and do your best to keep it clean, dry, and not locked up in shoes or boots.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Seconding the don't take the antibiotics till the doctor gives them to you - there may be a possibility of drug interaction that you won't want.
    I'd try to soak my toe in hot water a few times a day, keep it wrapped in sterile cotton or guaze if you have it (I've used toilet paper as well, but would hesitate to recommend it to anyone), and do your best to keep it clean, dry, and not locked up in shoes or boots.

I did this for my ingrown toe.

• Options
    I guess I can try regular salt and hot water. Avoiding boots and keeping things very clean is tricky but I'm sure I'll survive until Tuesday. Maybe.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Smof, soak your foot in hot water to help clean out the infection; since you don't have epsom salts, regular table salt can fit the bill partway to help kill any bacteria on your skin but it will leave the actual ingrown part dry and chapped. For that, use an antibacterial ointment and keep it wrapped with gauze and then athletic tape.

I had a really bad ingrown toenail in seventh grade that ended up infected for a sustained period of time because my mother wouldn't take me to the doctor; I ended up in a podiatrist's office ...

(spoilered for gross)
    and having my toe anesthetized, both sides of the nail clipped down to the root and the infected area irrigated.

While my right toenail is permanently narrower than the left, I was perfectly fine within one hour of the anesthetic wearing off and the infection was null and void. Keep in mind, this infection was one I had for months without antibiotics or any kind of medical treatment at all and everything still turned out ok. You should be fine when you can get into town and grab the epsom salts and a little antibacterial ointment after your visit to the doctor. Just keep in mind that they're probably going to snip your nail.

On the plus side, you will have a really neat battle scar from your time chasing leopards in Africa.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    And when I say I had the infection for months, I mean like six goddamned months. You'll be a-ok, Smof.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Standing loudly.

This is probably the number one thing I'm insecure about with international travel. People here give me shit for being too loud, I'm going to come off as the most obnoxious person ever.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Ah that's good to hear Darth. I was worried cos it looks like the infection has spread and it just generally started looking a bit grody. But it's not that painful and the grodyness is possibly because I've been putting neat Savlon liquid on it repeatedly and I think it's messing the skin up.

Ok I'll stop grossing the thread out now, sorry!

• Options
    Smof, soak your foot in hot water to help clean out the infection; since you don't have epsom salts, regular table salt can fit the bill partway to help kill any bacteria on your skin but it will leave the actual ingrown part dry and chapped. For that, use an antibacterial ointment and keep it wrapped with gauze and then athletic tape.

I had a really bad ingrown toenail in seventh grade that ended up infected for a sustained period of time because my mother wouldn't take me to the doctor; I ended up in a podiatrist's office ...

(spoilered for gross)
    and having my toe anesthetized, both sides of the nail clipped down to the root and the infected area irrigated.

While my right toenail is permanently narrower than the left, I was perfectly fine within one hour of the anesthetic wearing off and the infection was null and void. Keep in mind, this infection was one I had for months without antibiotics or any kind of medical treatment at all and everything still turned out ok. You should be fine when you can get into town and grab the epsom salts and a little antibacterial ointment after your visit to the doctor. Just keep in mind that they're probably going to snip your nail.

On the plus side, you will have a really neat battle scar from your time chasing leopards in Africa.

This is almost exactly what happened to me, except it was both big toes, and it was my fault, not my mom's, because i tried to hide it as long as possible. It wasn't until she was doing laundry and noticed a lot of my socks had blood that anything got done about it.

Spoilered for weird/gross
    Funny thing, the chemical they used to kill the nail bed didn't quite work on one side of one toe, so i have a narrow strip of toenail that grows detached from the main one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    That's all good advice. If you get a fever that's when you wanna head to your nearest ER. But the soaking in salt water/keeping it clean should hold you over.

Darth Waiter I had the same thing done on both sides of both big toes. I used to get ingrowns all the time and knew they would give me hell in the army so I just had then snipped and he used something to kill the root. Now I have weird skinny big toenails but I've never had a problem since

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    To be honest with the amount of hassle this has been I wish it had never grown back

This discussion has been closed.