As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animation [Chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    The article dude annoys me a bit because he should not be talking about quantum mechanics
    The idea that what we’re doing is measuring publicly accessible objects, the idea that objectivity results from the fact that you and I can measure the same object in the exact same situation and get the same results — it’s very clear from quantum mechanics that that idea has to go. Physics tells us that there are no public physical objects.

it's that super common complete misunderstanding of what "observe" means. The reason you and I can't measure the same electron twice is that it's not in the same situation once I've observed it because I had to do stuff to it.

This is infuriating to me. Particles are changed by observation because to observe them you need to physically interact with them. This is not some magic property of the human mind shaping reality.

The use of "observe" as implying some kind of mind or consciousness is one of the classic blunders.

I have a sneaking suspicion it might be the result of shoddy translations into English.

Some further reading suggests that specific conscious observation is somewhat embedded even in the field. That seems like silly mysticism.

Also apparently no one can even agree what the Copenhagen interpretation, succinctly, is.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    desc wrote: »
    Also no one should ever reference schrödingers cat
    This post is/isn't a reference to schrödingers cat

wandering on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I wish chat was like wikipedia in that I could sub //en. with //simple.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    @Cinders Did you end up getting both those dresses?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    The anthropocentric connotations of our language: singlehandedly holding back the philosophy of science??

Yes

Although for quantum stuff people are generally really reluctant to let go of hidden variable theories

I remember that being one of the things that caused ege to uncharacteristically resort to "nuh uh"

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I am going to eat this entire jar of pickled eggs.

I believe in you

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    The article dude annoys me a bit because he should not be talking about quantum mechanics
    The idea that what we’re doing is measuring publicly accessible objects, the idea that objectivity results from the fact that you and I can measure the same object in the exact same situation and get the same results — it’s very clear from quantum mechanics that that idea has to go. Physics tells us that there are no public physical objects.

it's that super common complete misunderstanding of what "observe" means. The reason you and I can't measure the same electron twice is that it's not in the same situation once I've observed it because I had to do stuff to it.

This is infuriating to me. Particles are changed by observation because to observe them you need to physically interact with them. This is not some magic property of the human mind shaping reality.

The use of "observe" as implying some kind of mind or consciousness is one of the classic blunders.

I have a sneaking suspicion it might be the result of shoddy translations into English.

The texts I used tended towards "measure"

Which isn't really any better

As far as I understand it's simply any event that precludes a given range of outcomes

Usually it is meant that the quantum system being studied, which for practical but not theoretical reasons is probably very small, interacts with something outside that quantum system in a non-reversible way. EG: it interacted with some part of an apparatus or a particle that (for the sake of difficulty of the maths) is not considered to be part of the quantum system in question.

If you expanded the quantum system so you are tracking both the "observed" and the "observer" (and remember both of those might be a single quark) then you can track the whole thing as a quantum system without the need for "measurement". Problem is the difficulty of the math involved increases very quickly with the number of things you are considering in the system.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wish chat was like wikipedia in that I could sub //en. with //simple.
    [chat] is a flat circle.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    circles are inherently flat

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    [chat] has apparently taken over the Boston airport... Bel just ran into ppups, Delmain, and vh going through security. :)

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

or at the very least shoddy translation from scientist to layman

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    if there is one thing that is immune to reductio ad absurdum, it's QM

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Wait, were dresses posted when I was not looking at chat? Please repost as I really like looking at pretty dresses on the internet.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It wouldn't work, all you would get back is "neoliberal butts tip the trigger warning patriarchy"

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    [chat] has apparently taken over the Boston airport... Bel just ran into ppups, Delmain, and vh going through security. :)

Oh coming home from you guys' place I ran into a ton of speedrunners at the airport, because awesome games done quick is in DC in early January.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Speaking up. Police are about a mile down the road with a swat team and negotiator because someone has barricaded themselves inside a home and threatening bodily harm upon themselves.
    Its in a really busy area so it's getting a lot of attention

time to put on the tights again Dewback

Fat guy in tights arrested on ATL Highway near current police situation
    Sent in for psychiatric evaluation

How fat?

*swallows*

How...tight?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    hawke_by_mezamero-d629lwf.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    ain't no man alive can eat 50 pickled eggs

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I think Schrödinger's Cat conversations are my least favourite ones. It's always what johnny drop out wants to talk to you about when he hears you're a physicist. And they always think they understand it so don't fucking listen and decide to argue.

Fortunately as a registered physicist if I beat somebody to death on those grounds I'm not chargeable with any offence

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Oh, I never got to meet Bel (or exchange more than like 3 words with spool...) next year I need to actually schlep out to the hotels I guess...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    apart from her gorgeous art the best thing about Mezamero is her nickname because it just looks and reads so cool

ME
    ZA
    ME
    RO

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Coinage wrote: »
    It wouldn't work, all you would get back is "neoliberal butts tip the trigger warning patriarchy"

The best kind of butts?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Some further reading suggests that specific conscious observation is somewhat embedded even in the field. That seems like silly mysticism.

Also apparently no one can even agree what the Copenhagen interpretation, succinctly, is.

Yeah. Arguing about interpretations is dumb anyways. By definition an interpretation is just putting a thin layer of fluff onto an existing physical theory. If the fluff made any difference whatsoever to reality then it would be a different theory.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    that page all about estranged parents is terrifying and fascinating to me. i can't help but reread it over and over from time to time. the ability to self justify and instantly warp any narrative/ignore what happened just blows my mind. if only i could harness this power and my horrible decisions weren't my fault and everyone else was at fault...

it is both my definition of evil and incredibly seductive as a possible means to escape this daily wish to not exist. though i know they're not actually happy, more like the furthest thing from it, whereas i have lots of happy moments.

*taps chin, lays down under desk*
    There is a happiness about self awareness that most people do not really try to grasp, I think.

i had a coworker before who was in her mid 50s and it was all nonstop drama and nothing was ever her fault

it was breathtaking to behold
    I have a co-worker like this. Not like, super bad, but very "why is drama always around me" and joking that she is cursed because weird things keep happening to her.

the one constant through life is you

Yeah.

Again, there are totally outliers, but if everyone is X, where X is a personality trait or social interaction, apply Occam's razor.

though sometimes you do just go on a series of increasingly crazier dates

>_>

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Right

You can be totally unlucky or whatever, but if we assume you create relationships in the same way as everyone else, random sampling over large numbers should create relatively even drama distributions. If you are played by drama, either you got super unlucky in your pool and everyone else got super lucky, or you are not operating in the same manner as low drama individuals. One of those is much easier to swallow than the other, though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFGAp6Ip40

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    As a johnny drop out

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Oh dang some sweet insert coin bundles on sale. Go run and hide wallet.

I don't really like gamery stuff but they've got some damn cool stuff that somehow doesn't scream yo this is a videogame t-shirt. Fuckin' love my dumb Solaire of Astoria t-shirt so much.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

as official scribe and herald of cinders, yes. yes, she did.

• Options
    that page all about estranged parents is terrifying and fascinating to me. i can't help but reread it over and over from time to time. the ability to self justify and instantly warp any narrative/ignore what happened just blows my mind. if only i could harness this power and my horrible decisions weren't my fault and everyone else was at fault...

it is both my definition of evil and incredibly seductive as a possible means to escape this daily wish to not exist. though i know they're not actually happy, more like the furthest thing from it, whereas i have lots of happy moments.

There is a happiness about self awareness that most people do not really try to grasp, I think.

i had a coworker before who was in her mid 50s and it was all nonstop drama and nothing was ever her fault

I have a co-worker like this. Not like, super bad, but very "why is drama always around me" and joking that she is cursed because weird things keep happening to her.

Yeah.

Again, there are totally outliers, but if everyone is X, where X is a personality trait or social interaction, apply Occam's razor.

>_>

Yes

But you know rad people exist, at least

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    4iRfyqF.png

hahaha. You almost got me, IT Security. I've been waiting for my financial documentation for FY 2015.

• Options

omg what are the odds

glitch in the matrixxx

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    does that say r noody's corporation

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hidden variables are appealing because it would match the pattern of previous discovery in physics, and people like the idea that reality continues to function in a deterministic, logical fashion but the quantum level is simply a threshold for measurement behind which we have not managed to go.

I don't know enough about quantum mechanics to even make up some bullshit theory, but I think both positions are understandable in the abstract.

• Options
    she also makes the best Warframe fan art out there

volt_prime_by_mezamero-d8rssxp.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Yeah.

>_>

Yes

yes, i've also had lots of excellent dates and relationships. nod nod.

• Options
    Warframe-%D0%98%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B-deviantart-Mag-Prime-1385410.jpeg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have, after several days, defeated this giant chocolate panettone.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I have, after several days, defeated this giant chocolate panettone.
    i always believed in you

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

Yeah.

>_>

Yes

yes, i've also had lots of excellent dates and relationships. nod nod.

Can you really call them excellent if you didn't choke a stranger?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    One of the things about being on the receiving end of gaslighting is that it's pretty terrifying how easy it is in the situation. It's usually paired with other attacks on self-confidence so they tend to amplify things. I kept a journal for a while but that ended up being more harm then good.

This discussion has been closed.