As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    [response to NPC's in the General]

Well it is supposed to be tempting.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Grah! Winter planets ftw. Don't click if you want to be surprised.
    Ever watch Dune? Giant sand worms, although... I guess they're... snow worms... or something. But they're huge and awesome!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love Bioware so much, and I love how they absolutely care about their fans, enough-so to congratulate Kobe.

<3

Kami on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You know whats also tempting? Spoiler tags! harglebargle

Shurakai on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just answer me...is this the game of the decade?

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just answer me...is this the game of the decade?

No, not at all.
    It's the game of your lifetime.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh! It seems we have a couple new videos, for those of us still waiting on the release:

Combat Scenario: Adept Class
    Combat Scenario: Vanguard Class

Those videos are really, really making me reconsider what I want to play.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think I'm going to be a Vanguard at first. Keep in mind that supposedly there are 6 more specialization classes down the line as well.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    soldier all the god damn way

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What the Hell? I'm orbiting a gas giant and in one paragraph of the description:

The upper levels of Notanban's atmosphere are inhabited by "shoals" of tiny ammonia-based lifeforms, no larger or more complex than the plankton of Earth's oceans. Held aloft by air pressure and wind, these bioluminescent creatures constantly flee from the approach of the terminator.

D:

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    1938907883_7dde6c2664.jpg

Whose is that?

Che's

Man, if Scarab had gotten ME early after getting Halo 3 early I would have flipped a shit.

bruin on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    What the Hell? I'm orbiting a gas giant and in one paragraph of the description:

The upper levels of Notanban's atmosphere are inhabited by "shoals" of tiny ammonia-based lifeforms, no larger or more complex than the plankton of Earth's oceans. Held aloft by air pressure and wind, these bioluminescent creatures constantly flee from the approach of the terminator.

D:

YAAA CALIFORNIA!

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gaaah, I'm torn.

I REALLY want to get the Limited Edition, however I've always had horrible luck with online ordering.

Kami on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Greeper wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »

D:

YAAA CALIFORNIA!

the terminator is the line between the dark and light sides of a planet!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Gaaah, I'm torn.

I REALLY want to get the Limited Edition, however I've always had horrible luck with online ordering.

Look at it this way; despite what fallout wants you to think, people do not possess an 'attribute' of luck. No man is luckier than another in any way.

However, on the flip side here, your previous bad luck does not increase the chance of good luck this time, either. :(

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gaaah, I'm torn.

You could do what I did and plan to get the regular edition and get the limited edition strategy guide from Amazon.

It's only slightly more expensive than getting the LE of the game with overnight shipping and while you miss out on some of the bonus stuff, you get a 192 page art book from the guide.

Your game box won't look as pretty, though, that is true.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Greeper, you're right. It's really a topic of faith, and faith is a dreadful thing to lack. I need, like, bracers or something, get that stat up real nice.

Pancake, that's a good idea actually. I love me some art books, but I'd be sad to not have the 'behind the scenes'. However, part of me does NOT want a 'behind the scenes', if only because I want to stay completely in awe of the experience. It's much like learning how your favorite magician does a trick: Once you learn it, it's no longer magic. :cry:

Sidenote: Are the 'preorder discs' actually going to be available at retail stores? I've had this preordered for a while, completely paid off, but I'll be a bit mad if I won't get a preorder disc. :cry:

Kami on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sidenote: Are the 'preorder discs' actually going to be available at retail stores? I've had this preordered for a while, completely paid off, but I'll be a bit mad if I won't get a preorder disc. :cry:

Yep, just go to whatever store you pre-ordered it and ask if they have any in. They probably will and will hand it right over. From what I've heard, they aren't really giving them out if they aren't asked about it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

Yep, just go to whatever store you pre-ordered it and ask if they have any in. They probably will and will hand it right over. From what I've heard, they aren't really giving them out if they aren't asked about it.

Fantastic. :)

That'll actually make my getting the standard edition a bit easier to swallow.

Kami on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh! It seems we have a couple new videos, for those of us still waiting on the release:

How mayn offensive abilities does the Adept have? It seemed like she didn't have any "blast them in the face" type skills.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    shryke wrote: »

How mayn offensive abilities does the Adept have? It seemed like she didn't have any "blast them in the face" type skills.

Because of the nature of biotics, there isn't much they have in the way of direct damage. Most disable the enemy in some way for a given amount of time and open them up to damage.

Singularity and throw seem to be the few direct damage biotic powers. Singularity sends enemies flying away from the field it creates and throw, well, throws them.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Warp also does damage, as well as reducing the amount of armour the target has, causing them to take more damage from other attacks.

Birudojin on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So basically as an adept your less of a "Mage Type" and more "weaken/incapacitate the enemy, then crush them with your puny weapon skills"?

shryke on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I plan on picking up a 360 (finally) over winter break to get in on this Mass Effect goodness. I have two questions:

1. Will this game be easy to pickup around the holiday season?
    2. I assume it will come out for the PC eventually... do we have any idea when? (I assume 1-2 years)

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    So basically as an adept your less of a "Mage Type" and more "weaken/incapacitate the enemy, then crush them with your puny weapon skills"?

Not exactly, as I'm playing an Adept right now I can fill people in pretty well I think.

Throw
    Throw delivers an amount of force proportional to the number of points you invest in the skill. It basically sends things flying (into guys, killing them) or just knocks shit around. It's more of a disabling skill, but seems like it could be useful.

Lift
    Lift lifts things into the air. Enemies lifted this way can't do anything, so you can pummel them with itty-bitty bullets. The main advantage to this, I'm noticing, is just about every enemy has access to shield boosting abilities, health boosts, disabling skills of their own, or some just damn mean exploding mines that cause all your powers to enter their cooldown state. So Lift is HUGE in big fights. It also has an area of effect so it doesn't just affect the one guy you target but also everyone and everything in the immediate vicinity. The duration they're in the air, the radius of the area affected, and the amount of weight that can be lifted increase dramatically as you dump points into it.

Warp
    If you hit a guy with this, he starts taking damage. It also lowers their defense causing them to take more damage from the bullets you're spraying them with. The amount of damage they take per second, and the duration of the effect, increase as you dump points into it.

Singularity
    When you cast Singularity, everything in the nearby area begins to basically orbit this single point in space. It's like Lift only it doesn't last as long but affects a larger area. It can take out entire crowds of enemies and is quickly turning into an instant win button in my book.

Barrier
    Standard shield spell.

Stasis
    Enemies can't do anything for a short period of time. Good if your weapon's overheated or you just need a few extra seconds to recharge something useful like Throw. Enemies CAN'T TAKE DAMAGE while in Stasis, which blows.

That's pretty much it.
    Also, Lifting something and then using Throw while directly underneath them can send them into the stratosphere. Since enemies take fall damage after Lift or Singularity finish doing their thing. Well... ouch.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    I plan on picking up a 360 (finally) over winter break to get in on this Mass Effect goodness. I have two questions:

2. I assume it will come out for the PC eventually... do we have any idea when? (I assume 1-2 years)

Why wouldn't it be?

And they've said your chances of seeing it on the PC within five years are very slim if they ever do plan to port it, which they might not.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I still haven't opened the prequel novel yet, but I plan to start reading it on the 18th.

<3

Kami on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Why wouldn't it be?

And they've said your chances of seeing it on the PC within five years are very slim if they ever do plan to port it, which they might not.

I dunno, I always think a game should be easy to get but every so often I am surprised. I just wanted to double check to make sure I didn't have to reserve it.

Also, didn't they say the same thing about KoToR and Jade Empire, only to port them in a year or two?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    New (?) stuff up on GameTrailers. Game Head and "Exclusive Trailer."

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27725.html

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also, didn't they say the same thing about KoToR and Jade Empire, only to port them in a year or two?

Not quite. It was pretty well known that KotOR was getting a PC version for quite a long time. It just took almost half a year for the PC version to come out. Jade Empire was more similar, but it still took three years, giving the project to another developer, and a new publisher.

It's hard to say what will happen with ME, but they said the chances of seeing it within five years are slim (and they're hoping to have the entire trilogy out within five years) and that's more than they've done before. They still have said that a PC port may happen. But I wouldn't wait half a decade to potentially be disappointed, myself.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sweet baby Jesus! New trailer was the best one yet. Relinking due to bottom page'd.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27725.html

EDIT: Okay, so I didn't know the trailer debuted yesterday on Game Head on Spike TV, but it's "new" to me.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, how well-written is the dialogue?
    And I'm not meaning in comparison to the gibberish most games seem happy with.
    How does it compare to, say, a well-written book? Something like Ian M Banks or David Brin, given the context?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    I thought I'd pass this along...

It comes from Chris Priestly at Bioware (PM to me on the Bioware forums):
    We have checked and you are absolutely correct. It does look like you were the first person to purchase a copy of Mass Effect here in North america (or anywhere really). I did have to check out the situation, but we do see that it is completely true.

The store shouldn't have been seeling the copies yet, but that isn't any fault of yours. So, congratulations, you made a little bit of BioWare history.

We would please ask that you respect everyone else having to wait to play the game and not spoil any story elements or suprises for people.

If you did take pictures of the box, booklet and disc, I'l love you to send me a link to them. I haven't seen teh retail copy myself yet and am dying for a peek.

I hope you enjoy Mass Effect.

Also...
    At least one of them is true.

We have had one confirmed store in the US erroniously sell Mass Effect well before it was supposed to. Both BioWare and Microsoft have been in touch with the store and they immediately pulled the extra copies they had before any more could be sold. It was an accident on the store's part and they will work out the situation with Microsoft.

Who got the lucky copy? Well, on these boards they go by the name of Kobeblackcat. Yes, they weren't supposed to get the game yet, but they did indeed get a legitimate copy of the game. They posted earlier, including a copy of their reciept, but I had to remove the posts until we could prove their claim was real and look into how it could have happened.

Basically, Kobeblackcat gets bragging rights as the first owner of Mass Effect and the future trivia question of "Where was Mass Effect first purchased in the US, goes to Springfeld Virginia.

I love Bioware.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks to everyone who has posted spoilers/game impressions! It's helped reassure me and whet my appetite :D

Janson on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I knew you guys were being too hard on BioWare when they banned Kobe. Chris and the crew are really classy fellows.

Now I have to go check my local Wal-Mart, even though it will be pointless, just because. Maybe I'll get lucky, and it'll be some French kit stocking the shelves who can't read the English stickers.

I must gird myself for disappointment.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I know there's a fucking countdown in the title, but it didn't click that it's so far away still. I was thinking for a moment that it's nice you all got it early, I'll just pick it up on tuesday and it'll be awesome...

and then the painful truth hit me.

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

CJTheran on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's only 10 days. :o

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    It's only 10 days. :o

That's eleven days too long!

CJTheran on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not gonna spoil anything, but I am going to make a strong suggestion for those who are a little bit impatient and decide to jump right into the pre-made Shepherd when they first get the game.

DON'T DO IT.

Take the time to customize your character from the start. It's pretty fuckawesome how some of your choices affect the storyline and dialog.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just watched a clip on gametrailers where they interview the lead writer. Says it's 15 movies worth of dialogue.

I think I found a plot spoiler.
    Playing "dark side" I think you side with Saren (main bad guy). The lead writer said "only you can stop it....if you want to." I still think the name Shepard has a hidden meaning.

Dirty Drawers on
    Fools shall not be pitied.
This discussion has been closed.