Options

We are all tired, poor, huddled masses yearning to breathe free of this [Election]

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Interesting ...

McCain: GOP would be 'foolish' to ignore voters
    Responding to comments from House Speaker Paul Ryan and Sen. Lindsey Graham, both of whom have refused to back Trump thus far, McCain said there's a disconnect between party leaders and the electorate.

"You have to draw the conclusion that there is some distance, if not a disconnect, between party leaders and members of Congress and the many voters who have selected Donald Trump to be the nominee of the party," McCain said.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I keep saying it
    There is a good chance they are not going to pick him as their candidate
    who they are is a good question

But overall flushing the party and rebuilding is a better strategy in the long term as it helps shakes the out of touch old white man image the party has

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Interesting ...

Responding to comments from House Speaker Paul Ryan and Sen. Lindsey Graham, both of whom have refused to back Trump thus far, McCain said there's a disconnect between party leaders and the electorate.

"You have to draw the conclusion that there is some distance, if not a disconnect, between party leaders and members of Congress and the many voters who have selected Donald Trump to be the nominee of the party," McCain said.

That's pretty much what everyone has been saying. Even talk radio is saying this, and they're still denying Climate Change is a thing.

I don't see how it could be more obvious.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Interesting ...

Yeah John that's been there a long time, they elect you guys to do stuff about fiscal responsibility and you guys spend on wars and put up new abortion restrictions.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Interesting ...

That's pretty much what everyone has been saying. Even talk radio is saying this, and they're still denying Climate Change is a thing.

I don't see how it could be more obvious.

Yeah, but can we be sure Donald Trump isn't a hoax made up by China to scare us?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It is vanishingly unlikely at this point that the Republicans find a way to subvert Trump

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean technically they could but that would just tear the party apart. It would cripple them.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think the number of high-profile republicans who have done an about-face and are now declaring support for the guy shows they're going to grit their teeth and ride this out to the bitter end.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    There's no way they'll stand up to Trump. They'll swallow their pride and fall in line. And I doubt they'll give up on the election and let Hillary win to protect the status quo of their party. They'll do their damnednest to get him in the Oval Office.

What's harder to predict is what they'll do when he loses. I saw someone speculate that they'll respond by nominating a somewhat more subtle version of Trump in 2020. Sort of like a fusion between Trump and your standard GOP dog-whistlers. I think that's a good prediction.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    The Trump is a one-off. You're not going to find someone with his charisma in the GOP for the next ~20 years.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    There's no way they'll stand up to Trump. They'll swallow their pride and fall in line. And I doubt they'll give up on the election and let Hillary win to protect the status quo of their party. They'll do their damnednest to get him in the Oval Office.

What's harder to predict is what they'll do when he loses. I saw someone speculate that they'll respond by nominating a somewhat more subtle version of Trump in 2020. Sort of like a fusion between Trump and your standard GOP dog-whistlers. I think that's a good prediction.
    I kinda want Ryan to continue not endorsing Trump, or at least not until he extracts a ton of promises from people like he did for the speakership

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular

FOX ran this opinion piece: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/05/03/any-republican-who-thinks-its-better-to-elect-trump-than-hillary-needs-their-head-examined.html

Basically it says anyone voting for Trump over Hillary for any reason is insane, and they only stand to lose by backing a candidate they all know isn't going to win the election. Hell, even if he does somehow win, I think people like Paul Ryan believe Hillary would be better for them in the long run.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    The Trump is a one-off. You're not going to find someone with his charisma in the GOP for the next ~20 years.

Trump is a very specific combination of shamelessly narcisisstic with tons of name recognition, appeal to the anti-establishment side that has been riled up thanks to the Tea Party, and the ability to pander his ass off to a crowd. Yes, when you watch a video or read a transcript his speeches are rambling nonsense, but he's playing to and reacting to the crowd there and they eat that shit up.

It would be hard to deliberately replicate what he has been doing.

I still think the GOP is just going to double down for 2020 if they lose this year. "Trump wasn't a real Republican" they'll say. He's an easy scapegoat, and there's nothing the GOP likes more.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think it's less of a case of Trump having lots of qualities as a politician which make him very successful as a candidate and more the Republican base essentially wanting someone to say a lot of heinous shit that they believe but none of the other candidates are willing to say quite so openly and loudly, and Trump being willing to say anything that will make him more popular amongst the base.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Aistan wrote: »

Trump is a very specific combination of shamelessly narcisisstic with tons of name recognition, appeal to the anti-establishment side that has been riled up thanks to the Tea Party, and the ability to pander his ass off to a crowd. Yes, when you watch a video or read a transcript his speeches are rambling nonsense, but he's playing to and reacting to the crowd there and they eat that shit up.

I still think the GOP is just going to double down for 2020 if they lose this year. "Trump wasn't a real Republican" they'll say. He's an easy scapegoat, and there's nothing the GOP likes more.

After Romney everyone thought they were going to try to become more inclusive, because they saw how stupid it is to double down on the white vote. I don't know how it's even possible to double down on the white vote even harder than Trump, when he loses by a bigger margin than Romney did and they lose the seats in 2018, they will literally be forced at gunpoint to reform the party.

Uhtred on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Uhtred wrote: »

FOX ran this opinion piece: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/05/03/any-republican-who-thinks-its-better-to-elect-trump-than-hillary-needs-their-head-examined.html

Basically it says anyone voting for Trump over Hillary for any reason is insane, and they only stand to lose by backing a candidate they all know isn't going to win the election. Hell, even if he does somehow win, I think people like Paul Ryan believe Hillary would be better for them in the long run.

Well of course Fox would say that, with a new Clinton admin they can expect massive ratings for their old men gripe at the future shows.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

After Romney everyone thought they were going to try to become more inclusive, because they saw how stupid it is to double down on the white vote. I don't know how it's even possible to double down on the white vote even harder than Trump, when he loses by a bigger margin than Romney did and they lose the seats in 2018, they will literally be forced at gunpoint to reform the party.

Yeah but they'll say the problem was Trump, not the people he specifically appealed to. That the people he specifically appealed to are now the Base of the GOP won't come into it at all.

We'll see with 2018 sure, but never underestimate the Democrats' ability to pull defeat from the jaws of victory, especially in a midterm.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    A steak! wrote: »
    A steak! wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Looks like the Maine Democratic party is making it so Superdelegates are assigned based on vote percentage as opposed to whomever they feel like supporting

http://usuncut.com/politics/maine-democratic-party-just-got-rid-superdelegate-system/

The thing is even if every state did this Hillary would still win, so what is the point? It's just Bernie having sour grapes over losing and blaming it on how the party functions rather than accepting the loss.
    There's a lot of attention on the injustice inherent in the Superdelegate system and there are a lot of people who will leave the Democratic Party over a perceived misappropriation of that system to deny their candidate, regardless of who it is.

Some parts of the Democratic Party seem to be aware they are fighting for the continued relevance of the party. Some are in denial.

I wasn't aware that your guy losing would set you into permanent histrionics mode.
    I am not, nor have I ever been, a registered Democrat. Because I have long had issues with the party.
    Oh well yeah it's going to wither and die without you. I think if it can survive 2004 it'll probably weather just about anything.
    I mean sure. But the parties are overwhelmingly populated by older voters. So uh.
    Tube wrote: »
    The idea that the democrats are in trouble because of Bernie losing is asinine. They're on the cusp of scoring a sixteen year shutout
    Yeah, the trends are certainly bearing that out. Oh wait. I mean you could be right. But that's not how the US political system works. In fact whoever wins will have a higher chance of being the target of an assassination attempt than winning a second term, based on the trends.

What the hell are you even talking about right here?
    Based on historical trends there's a 100% chance that the next President will be the target of an assassination attempt. Similarly, based on historical trends there's a 6% chance of a party winning back-to-back second terms. The only time a party has won more than two consecutive multiple terms since the Democratic-Republicans pulled off their three-peat is FDR-Truman.

Look, you guys love to argue "the trends bear this out!" But freak out when the trends indicate you're wrong. Pick one stance and stick with it, please.

There are probably around zero 20/21st century presidents that have not potentially been the target of an assassination attempt because people are dumb.

It's just that most of them are by crazy people who think we're due for an assassination, and not really worth reporting on unless something goes horribly wrong or they do something other than put them in the looney bin.

Like that fence jumper thing where the news story was that the SS messed up

also Donald trump was arguably already the intended victim of an attack that was captured on television and then they let the guy go and arrested him later because whatever, people gonna lunge at presidential candidates, but people forgot because nothing really came of it.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    people like Paul Ryan believe Hillary would be better for them in the long run.

And as long as they market themselves as the outsiders who would love to fix things if only those evil lefties would stop stealing elections with their illegals, they will continue to benefit more from being "out of power" than in.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    people like Paul Ryan believe Hillary would be better for them in the long run.

And as long as they market themselves as the outsiders who would love to fix things if only those evil lefties would stop stealing elections where their illegals, they will continue to benefit more from being "out of power" than in.

That, and Trump just can't be trusted for anything. They know what to expect with Hillary, but Trump is a complete loose canon who could burn it all down.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

Ya know, I don't agree with any of his policies or actions during his time as president, but I'd probably have a lot of fun hanging out with George W. Bush.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Well, that is why he was elected

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    He never really seemed like a bad person. Surrounded and advised by bad people maybe.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    He never really seemed like a bad person. Surrounded and advised by bad people maybe.

Are you saying he's US Grant

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Are you saying he's US Grant

US Grant was a badass before he was President. George W. Bush was not and never will be a badass.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I would gladly vote for bush over any republican presidential nominee of the past few years

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Are... are you doing a thing? That's Will Ferrell in a comedy bit, not actually George W. Bush. He isn't even eligible for a third term, under the 22nd amendment.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think he knows that's not really W dude

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    now palin is calling to primary paul ryan, the only guy they could get to accept the speaker position. all according to plan

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Are... are you doing a thing? That's Will Ferrell in a comedy bit, not actually George W. Bush. He isn't even eligible for a third term, under the 22nd amendment.

Ummmm...

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    now palin is calling to primary paul ryan, the only guy they could get to accept the speaker position. all according to plan keikaku

*Translator's Note: keikaku means plan

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    A reenactment:
    ix0yhycpfugu.jpg
    (no-one saw anything inaccurate here)

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Tal was

very obviously doing a joke of his own by pretending like he didn't understand the joke

• Options
    This suit is black not

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think we've been over how obvious anything -tal does actually is before

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I would gladly vote for bush over any republican presidential nominee of the past few years

You'd prefer W to Romney or McCain?

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Don't give George W. Bush a pass.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    The only credit I can give W is that I get the impression that, the last few years, he seemed to have understood how badly he fucked up. That's probably why he's stayed so far away from politics ever since he left.

That didn't stop him from doing bad shit though, right up until the last day in office, but I think at least he got burned off of doing any more big stuff like the Iraq war. So with that experience, maybe he'd be better than McCain or Romney.

He'd certainly be better than most of the losing candidates. He was much less scary than a President Palin, if something had happened to McCain.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »

Ya know, I don't agree with any of his policies or actions during his time as president, but I'd probably have a lot of fun hanging out with George W. Bush.

he is by all accounts extremely charming and fun to be around

I'd talk baseball with him

This discussion has been closed.