Options

Captain America: Civil War [OPEN SPOILERS, BEWARE!!!]

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Just got back from this.
    Man, that airport fight scene. I already had the Giant-Man bit spoiled because I'm a huge Lego nerd, but it was still incredible. I really, really want Spider-Man's movie and Ant-Man and the Wasp right now. Really interested to see where Cap's team goes from here now that they're on the lam, or if they'll show Cap hanging out in Wakanda in the Black Panther movie.

Also, because some people might find this entertaining, some thoughts from my 60ish-year-old dad:
    - Loved Spider-Man, loved Ant-Man (he's a HUGE fan of Ant-Man, I think that's the only one he's watched several times)
    - Was surprised when T'Challa/"the king's son" was Black Panther
    - Didn't quite understand what happened to Bucky in the credits scene
    - Was excited to hear that there would be a Black Panther movie after this

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Just got back from this.
    Man, that airport fight scene. I already had the Giant-Man bit spoiled because I'm a huge Lego nerd, but it was still incredible. I really, really want Spider-Man's movie and Ant-Man and the Wasp right now. Really interested to see where Cap's team goes from here now that they're on the lam, or if they'll show Cap hanging out in Wakanda in the Black Panther movie.

Also, because some people might find this entertaining, some thoughts from my 60ish-year-old dad:
    - Loved Spider-Man, loved Ant-Man (he's a HUGE fan of Ant-Man, I think that's the only one he's watched several times)
    - Was surprised when T'Challa/"the king's son" was Black Panther
    - Didn't quite understand what happened to Bucky in the credits scene
    - Was excited to hear that there would be a Black Panther movie after this

Third hyphen:

Bucky is put on ice again by his own free will, and catching some zzzz's in Wakanda until someone later magically fixes his brainwashing codewords.

My theory is he'll be reawakened likely after Steve dies in Infinity War and becomes Cap 2 and that's what fixes his brain or something because it will be a callback to Winter Soldier and its the Russos running the show.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @ElJeffe

Can we stop using spoiler tags in here now that the movie has been released?

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZ1rnJWk3c

Kevin Smith is on the new Movie Fights which is all Civil War related.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm still fresh from seeing this, so I still think it is the best movie ever made. Which makes it hard for me to decide where I would place it among my favorite Marvel films. I do feel confident in saying that Civil War has the best fight scenes of any Marvel movie, though. Hulk shoulder checking a giant space whale was hard to beat, but that airport scene... my god it was glorious

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    All I need to know is: At some point does Spider-man flip through 5 enemies while someone mutters "Amazing" and gets kicked in the throat by Spider-man while he declares, "Spectacular."

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    All I need to know is: At some point does Spider-man flip through 5 enemies while someone mutters "Amazing" and gets kicked in the throat by Spider-man while he declares, "Spectacular."

The answer will amaze you!
    no

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Boo to this movie and everyone involved! Next you're going to tell me that clone Thor doesn't murder Giant-man!

• Options
    To be fair, he didn't murder Giant Man in the comics either.

He murdered Goliath.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Movie spoiler, maybe? I dunno, spoil'd to be safe:
    They kinda pussed out on their Goliath moment in the movie.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Movie spoiler, maybe? I dunno, spoil'd to be safe:
    They kinda pussed out on their Goliath moment in the movie.

The changes from the comic were improvements. If they'd kept that and replace the accords with the original Civil War stuff, it'd be one depressing movie.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Finally saw it yesterday. FUCKAWESOME YEA! There a lot I want to talk about, but I wanted to read the thread first, because I'm sure most of it has already been covered. But goddam, 24 pages? I'm just gonna put my stuff out here, apologies for any repeats.
    Steve absolutely lied by omission by not telling Tony that Bucky killed his parents. He did it because he figured Tony would go ape shit about it, and he wasn't wrong. Still, I can't judge this moral or unmoral. Doesn't Tony have a right to his feelings and reaction to this, good or bad? But, if Tony succeeded and killed Bucky, the ramifications of that would be bad, too. I just don't know.

Come to think of it, I don't think Cap was ever wrong about anything in the move. He was right that Bucky would fight authorities and people would die (probably Bucky included) when Bucky fought back. He was right that the authorities were being manipulated to get to Bucky for some nefarious purpose. Even though Cap was right about all of this, I don't know if he always made the right decisions.

For Tony's part, lot's of people point out how much of a mess Tony is. He has PTSD from The Battle of New York, and I don't think that has ever been addressed in a healthy manner. His past arrogance has come back to bite him before. He was the primary force behind Ultron's creation. After Ultron, after Pepper separates from him, after that lady in the hallway with the picture, he agrees he needs to have some checks and balances placed on him. This is a far cry from the Tony Stark we got in the courtroom in IM2. He wants to do the right thing for Pepper, himself, their relationship, and the Avengers, and that right thing presents itself as the Sokovia Accords. So what happens when he does the very thing everyone tells him he needs to do and checks his ego? What happens when he decides to cede some authority to a neutral third party? Half his team goes against him, in particular the person who has most criticized him before! His frustration and true angst shows itself just before the airport fight. I really felt for Tony. He was emotionally wrecked by what he feels is betrayel, by his best friend nearly dying, and then he gets shown a graphic video of his parent's murder, and snaps. Then he gets the shit beat out of him. The good guys lost in this movie, and Tony has lost the most.

I thought it was the 10 foot pallets of 100,000 dollar bills were what has kept RDJ doing this role, and I figured even that would not work much longer. Now I see that it is the opportunity to play an interesting character and show his growth.

Vision stuff: Vision doesn't understand the Mind Gem. That I found intriguing. The gem lights up red when Wanda takes over Vision, indicating that it is his brain or something. However, Vision gets distracted, something he and everyone else did not think was possible, meaning he is not just a vessel for the gem. Vision is his own... person, for lack of a better term.

I really liked it when they showed a closeup of Scott's eyes when he went giant. I think it was Ebert (goddamn I miss him) in his Iron Man review who pointed out that it was a stroke of genius to show RDJ's face in the mask. Similar thing here. The expression in his eyes sells the emotion of going big for the first time. It feeds into the "WTF!?" moment, perfectly capped of by Spidey's Precision-F Strike of "Holy shit!".

Pepper, Laura Barton, and Maggie Lang need to get together to make a support group for the family members of superheroes. Cooper and Lila Barton could have playdates with Cassie Lang and her pet ant.

I got more, but I'm at work, have to post it later.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    For the most part, I agree with you about Tony, however
    This was a case of a single friend going vegan/alcohol abstinence, and trying to force the entire friend group to follow suit. It also feeds into Tonys ego, where because he wasn't smart enough to tell right from wrong in all cases, then neither is anyone else.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »

The answer will amaze you!
    no

Spectacular!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    SO HEY THERE GUYS AND GALS

We have a request to open up this thread for spoilers. If anyone has any compelling reasons to keep using tags, now is the time to make them.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    So I just got home from seeing this and it was pretty great. Spider-Man was really good, better than I'd hoped for. I still thought the costume looked kinda fake but whatever, it didn't detract much.

I feel sorry for all the #teamtony people
    because in the end it was really just Tony who was all "Rah I just want to murder a guy I'm a superhero" and this after all the cries of "Cap's not even a hero anymore he turned his back on the law omg". But Cap was, of course, trying to keep people from getting murdered all along. Was not thrilled with Black Panther until the end when he made the correct heroic decision and redeemed himself. Loved Ant-Man but did not love the new helmet. Bring back the old helmet. I thought Rhodey was kind of a dick in this and I subsequently didn't really care when he got injured. And then it wasn't even Cap's team that did it which made me chuckle.

I went into the film being Team Cap and nothing in the film caused me to waver on that.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I don't think I liked Civil War as much as everyone else

it mostly just made me upset

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't think I liked Civil War as much as everyone else

it mostly just made me upset

Some people are allergic to good things. I'm sorry you have to watch exclusively DC movies.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Several people have mentioned how good lookin' Marisa Tomei is, and it reminded me of what Ebert said in his The Lincoln Lawyer review:
    When Tomei walks into a movie, it's like the Queen came into the room. I want to stand up. I know why Lady Gaga wants Marisa to play her in a biopic. It's not because they look like sisters. It's because every woman, and many men, would love to have a smile like Marisa Tomei's.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Anyone else curious about what was in the Accords?
    I mean, we know that part of it was "Avengers don't act unless the committee says 'Go!'", and from AoS we know that registration of enhanced individuals was in there. But the packet they dropped on the table seemed awfully thick, even before any amendments. Even if it's stuffed full of legalize in a few dozen different languages.

Did the comics provide a more in depth look at what the Accords said?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I know what you mean, I feel the same way about #TeamCap. Blanket rejection of oversight only works while you agree with your despot.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I know what you mean, I feel the same way about #TeamCap. Blanket rejection of oversight only works while you agree with your despot.

You really can't say Cap didn't at least give oversight the ol' college try.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I mean, we know that part of it was "Avengers don't act unless the committee says 'Go!'", and from AoS we know that registration of enhanced individuals was in there. But the packet they dropped on the table seemed awfully thick, even before any amendments. Even if it's stuffed full of legalize in a few dozen different languages.

Unless they released new movie specific comics, the original civil war wasn't about accords but super hero registration like admitting to the government who each hero really was. Unless I'm misremembering Civil War, it was a huge plot line.

And Cap wasn't really on board with the new oversight when they immediately put a kill order on Bucky without even attempting to arrest him.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Unless they released new movie specific comics, the original civil war wasn't about accords but super hero registration like admitting to the government who each hero really was. Unless I'm misremembering Civil War, it was a huge plot line.

And Cap wasn't really on board with the new oversight when they immediately put a kill order on Bucky without even attempting to arrest him.

And then when Cap went all out to make sure Bucky got arrested instead of murdered team tony and their U.N. overlords laughed at the very idea of due process.

So I guess oversight only works if you're comfortable with your despots too.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Ass covering and pointless belaboring of every single minor point.

And probably something totally unrelated to the Avengers and related subjects tacked on, but since no one read it (most realistic bit of the movie) we'll never know!

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

You really can't say Cap didn't at least give oversight the ol' college try.

And the other option is super-gitmo.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    What seemed unfair from secretary ross is pointing out the aftermath, but not the obvious "You saved us from some seriously bad shit." Hell in the case of Winter Soldier it was even the US governments fault that was necessary at all.

Only real thing that could be blamed on them was the events of Avengers 2 fast 2 Ultron and that's really just Tony Stark under the influence of evil scarlet witch.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    It pretty much always comes back to the fact that Tony's the one who should be locked up for everyone else's safety.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I'm Team Cap pretty much 90%, but I did think they kind of fucked up Tony's side at the end.
    When, after the whole movie he was trying to take Steve in for processing and so that he would sign the accords, once he found out Steve was right, he went, "Well, time to go do that thing that this super thick document that I stand behind 100% tells me is illegal and will put me in an underwater superjail."

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Everyone forgets Wanda is the one who needs to be watched, killing humans left and right now, killing innocent mutants in the next film.

You'll be watching X-Men Apackagifts and then some red magic wave appears onscreen and everyone there dies and there's a blank screen for thirty minutes. And you sat in the theater for those thirty minutes wondering if this was some super secret ending tag and then you feel like an idiot.

• Options
    What seemed unfair from secretary ross is pointing out the aftermath, but not the obvious "You saved us from some seriously bad shit." Hell in the case of Winter Soldier it was even the US governments fault that was necessary at all.

Only real thing that could be blamed on them was the events of Avengers 2 fast 2 Ultron and that's really just Tony Stark under the influence of evil scarlet witch.

Even then, Minus Avengers there, it would have had Hydra unleashing Ultron.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Watched it this past weekend

Fight scenes were awesome and it was a fun ride.
    Not that much happened, though? End of Ultron had Cap&Team being the new Avengers while Ironman and others were on the outside. We end this movie with Ironman and others being the new Avengers while Cap&Team are on the outside. Weird to waste an entire movie just to flip that around.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Not that much happened, though? End of Ultron had Cap&Team being the new Avengers while Ironman and others were on the outside. We end this movie with Ironman and others being the new Avengers while Cap&Team are on the outside. Weird to waste an entire movie just to flip that around.

Stuff happened.

Black Panther directly got involved with the world at large helping Cap and his new avengers hideout in Wakanda.

Rhodey is paralyzed

The avengers are effectively at odds with each other, which is different than Ironman just taking a break

Bucky was Found, lost his arm, and is now in stasis while they seek a cure for his weird russian training.

The governments of the world are also now effectively in the super hero game to manage their threat in theory, but we know from super hero gitmo its more to imprison all of them as threats/disposable soldiers when they really need them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Speaking of, the weird Russian training, was that perfected by the Hypno-Doc from Season 1 of Agent Carter?

Also, had me curious if that Russian secret bunker/base/lab was possibly part of Leviathan.

Oh Agent Carter, why couldn't you stick with Leviathan instead of going all Hollywood with Darkmatter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Stuff happened.

Black Panther directly got involved with the world at large helping Cap and his new avengers hideout in Wakanda.

Rhodey is paralyzed

The avengers are effectively at odds with each other, which is different than Ironman just taking a break

Bucky was Found, lost his arm, and is now in stasis while they seek a cure for his weird russian training.

The governments of the world are also now effectively in the super hero game to manage their threat in theory, but we know from super hero gitmo its more to imprison all of them as threats/disposable soldiers when they really need them.
    I mean, yeah, so we got:

- New Superhero
    - Hurt Superhero
    - Escalated conflict between two superheroes already in conflict
    - Hurt Superhero
    - Slight change in worldview of superheroes

I guess I was expecting something a bit more major than those. Something like a permanent loss, more steps towards Thanos coming, new major villain emerging.

I don't know, it felt very small potatoes in terms of MCU universe development compared to the other movies.

It was worth seeing just for the fights and the greater interaction between all the new and old MCU heroes, though.

• Options
    Still though, The Raft is a step up from Reed's Negative Zone super max. Also no evil clone Thor, which means no dead size-changing superhero which would have been Lang here, which would have sucked, so that's good.

They did keep all the "no due process" and "throw people in prison forever" parts from the comic book though.

• Options
    I'm Team Cap pretty much 90%, but I did think they kind of fucked up Tony's side at the end.
    When, after the whole movie he was trying to take Steve in for processing and so that he would sign the accords, once he found out Steve was right, he went, "Well, time to go do that thing that this super thick document that I stand behind 100% tells me is illegal and will put me in an underwater superjail."

Totally understandable in context. This is Tony after he has been emotionally battered and bruised. His nerves are frayed to the breaking point. He's lost Pepper, he's lost his superhero family, he nearly lost his best friend, he's lost almost everything. Tony is vulnerable. He's put his faith in Steve again because of new evidence. Then he's treated to the scene of his parents (unknown to him until now) murder. He's shattered. Then he gets the coup de grâce: he finds out the person he trusted lied to him about his parents murder in order to protect the murderer! Tony fucking snaps. His actions are not an endorsement of any ideology. There are no sides here. This is raw, emotional anguish. He gives zero fucks for anything except revenge (there's that word again). This is all due to machinations of Zemo, who successfully took his anguish and need for revenge and put in Tony.

That scene of Tony lying there beaten, broken, and alone, after suffering intense emotional trauma left me heartbroken. Dude needed a hug.

And probably a Klonopin.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Really the key part of the movie is just throwing everything into chaos to prepare for the coming invasion. If Earth had its shit together, I don't think even Thanos would be that huge of a threat without the stones. Especially with GoTG also kind of chasing him.
    Skrulls though...

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Even then, Minus Avengers there, it would have had Hydra unleashing Ultron.

That doesn't absolve Tony doing it first, though.

• Options

Stuff happened.

Rhodey is paralyzed

I mean, yeah, so we got:

- New Superhero
    - Hurt Superhero
    - Escalated conflict between two superheroes already in conflict
    - Hurt Superhero
    - Slight change in worldview of superheroes

I guess I was expecting something a bit more major than those. Something like a permanent loss, more steps towards Thanos coming, new major villain emerging.

I don't know, it felt very small potatoes in terms of MCU universe development compared to the other movies.

It was worth seeing just for the fights and the greater interaction between all the new and old MCU heroes, though.

Don't forget:
    Premier superhero team is now shattered, with half of them now fugitives from the world's governments, and who knows what happens if the two sides run into each other.

That was kind of the main takeaway.