As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

1939495969799»

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    edit: nevermind

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Update for those interested, the, uh, "gentleman" in question actually paid his $89.74 balance in full. While I was at the bank having the coinage counted a very pretty, very sweet young teller informed me that she thinks she's the one that fulfilled the gentleman's request for $89.74 in pennies, that she was incredibly sorry, that people who do that are the worst, and also, that she likes my beard.

So, hey, fuck you, guy. Pretty teller lady thinks you're a jerk and that my beard is nice. What a lovely day.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Pt on a 5150 hold (we keep you prisoner by police order until you're transferred to a psych place). A lot of people abuse the system to get out of going to jail as is this dude. Dude says he's gonna walk out if I don't give him food now.

https://youtu.be/mevxenJ6Mtc

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »
    Pennies, it's my understanding, are not legal tender, however. That's the reason you're allowed to destroy them in those engraving machines. So the bucket of pennies on the floor is still refusable...

No, pennies are legal tender (and I've seen quarter smashing machines too).

Yea, those machines are technically illegal just like it's technically illegal in NY to cheat on your spouse. Neither is gonna be prosecuted anytime soon.

This is also false. It's illegal to fraudulently mutilate coins, which means things like breaking them down for their base metal or trimming down pennies to pass them off as dimes in coin machines. Making souvenirs with them isn't fraudulent mutilation.

from 18 USC 333:
    [w]hoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

it would seem that pennymashers are illegal

There's a "fraudulently" in the previous clause or something. Basically if you're not doing it to sell the base material or pass it off as some other coin it's kosher.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »
    Pennies, it's my understanding, are not legal tender, however. That's the reason you're allowed to destroy them in those engraving machines. So the bucket of pennies on the floor is still refusable...

No, pennies are legal tender (and I've seen quarter smashing machines too).

Yea, those machines are technically illegal just like it's technically illegal in NY to cheat on your spouse. Neither is gonna be prosecuted anytime soon.

This is also false. It's illegal to fraudulently mutilate coins, which means things like breaking them down for their base metal or trimming down pennies to pass them off as dimes in coin machines. Making souvenirs with them isn't fraudulent mutilation.

from 18 USC 333:
    [w]hoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

it would seem that pennymashers are illegal

There's a "fraudulently" in the previous clause or something. Basically if you're not doing it to sell the base material or pass it off as some other coin it's kosher.

actually yeah it looks like this would fall under 331, not 333:
    Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States....Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Update for those interested, the, uh, "gentleman" in question actually paid his $89.74 balance in full. While I was at the bank having the coinage counted a very pretty, very sweet young teller informed me that she thinks she's the one that fulfilled the gentleman's request for $89.74 in pennies, that she was incredibly sorry, that people who do that are the worst, and also, that she likes my beard.

So, hey, fuck you, guy. Pretty teller lady thinks you're a jerk and that my beard is nice. What a lovely day.

Adding this to my collection of forumer anecdotes to steal when writing the Great American Romcom. It's in good company with, like, half a dozen Grey Ghost stories.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    And thus every child in America was arrested and thrown in prison for 5 years.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    'Pennysmasher' sounds like a Gotham villain where Batman just kinda shrugs and says, 'Fuck it, I'm bored and I haven't beaten anyone to a pulp all night. Robin! Bust out the Bat-Jumper Cables and don't skimp on the Jagermeister.'

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Pt on a 5150 hold (we keep you prisoner by police order until you're transferred to a psych place). A lot of people abuse the system to get out of going to jail as is this dude. Dude says he's gonna walk out if I don't give him food now.

https://youtu.be/mevxenJ6Mtc

Invol psych holds are such a PITA.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    'Pennysmasher' sounds like a Gotham villain where Batman just kinda shrugs and says, 'Fuck it, I'm bored and I haven't beaten anyone to a pulp all night. Robin! Bust out the Bat-Jumper Cables and don't skimp on the Jagermeister.'

Where do you think that giant penny in the batcave came from?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    So I guess my company is going Lean.
    We were bought 6 months ago by a large conglomerate. We get told this this week, and get less than a week to put together a group of people to get it all started. We're short staffed as it is, but 4 people must be in these weeks long meetings.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Starting to go lean with week long meetings is just amazing.

It's like going vegetarian by ordering the foie gras.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    "We're going lean. We need 4 people to attend these week long meetings."

<Meeting 1>

"OK, everyone else has been fired. You're the new lean team."

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

One of the best stories I've read on these forums in weeks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    LTM wrote: »
    "We're going lean. We need 4 people to attend these week long meetings."

<Meeting 1>

"OK, everyone else has been fired. You're the new lean team."

More like, since the company can work without you for these weeks long meetings, you are fired,

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So, apparently my line lead (who can be a major goose but is overall a very decent person) went to bat for me with my department manager. Department manager said he was gonna move me to another line, line lead basically put his foot down and said No you're not he's a good worker and a good kid and I guess that was just that.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Finished up my summer grad class today. Felt a bit listless as I now have a bit over a month till I have to go back to work.

Started watching the Wire again.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Sheeeit.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So, apparently my line lead (who can be a major goose but is overall a very decent person) went to bat for me with my department manager. Department manager said he was gonna move me to another line, line lead basically put his foot down and said No you're not he's a good worker and a good kid and I guess that was just that.

By god you buy that man/woman a beer.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Strange day.

I got to tune up my sales and service manager, the guy who was my superior when I started a little over a year ago, for not crossing off/redacting bad or irrelevant info on invoices... After I've asked him 3 times to "just cross it off if it's wrong. Don't make me guess which is correct, or force me to refer to a totally different paper I never see until we print the shipping label."

Then my assistant got pulled to help with the owners pet project (not a big deal, just means I do operations and shipping).

Then I got to give a guy a job.

I've never given a job before. Interviews? Yes. A say in final hire? Sure. This time I did everything short of posting the ad.

Really feels like I made the big leagues.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh boy. So yesterday the slackers on morning shift screwed up, BIG TIME. Basically they ignored some big warnings and didn't care enough to say anything so shit hit the fan and after that it was found that hours before shit hit said fan these guys could have stopped it. Of course they got chewed out but that was it. I got the brunt of my boss's anger because I was around when they weren't. That was super fun but I know he was just venting. Today they missed 8 tickets in our system. 8. I had to tell the boss and his smile immediately disappeared and he just said "I need to get the hell out of here for the weekend" sure boss, enjoy your 4 day weekend. I'll be here all weekend including on the 4th, my third Holiday I have had to work in a row. Oh also I'll be cleaning up after them all weekend since I guarantee that even if the guy scheduled showed up on the 4th (he won't, I'll have to come in early) he won't be doing any work.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    We got bought! (Sort of) (It's complicated) (But we're still public!)

Now to check my stock options...

oh well, most of them are being cancelled, that's bullshit, but at least the ones I have left actually have value, that's nice.

How much value?

*does math*

OK I have an answer in which I am 99% confident and which I believe is 99% accurate:

My stock options are worth somewhere between $310 and $44,000

What? I didn't say how precise my estimate was.

• Options
    I also had a stress dream last night in which I resigned via email without warning.

Had to check my sent mail folders like ten times on the way to work this morning to get it out of my head.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Wait they can cancel stocks on you? That seems like bullshit

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    So with less than a week of design and build time I launched a website that is objectively 1000x better than the previous website for the entire school district.

I am now off for four days so I won't have to see what a flaming mess this turns into until Wednesday. Also hopefully they pay me sooner than later.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Stock options, basically there was the chance to buy stock at a certain price, but it was withdrawn with the buyout.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I also had a stress dream last night in which I resigned via email without warning.

Had to check my sent mail folders like ten times on the way to work this morning to get it out of my head.

You didn't give a reason to your conscious self?

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Welp didn't get the amazing job I wanted & was actually pretty qualified for. Sigh. Guess I gotta keep looking.

(As an aside why did I get this email at 11:30 pm of all times?)

• Options
    Zoel wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »

You didn't give a reason to your conscious self?

Oh no I didn't need to leave one. My conscious self has a whole rant written out to deliver during my exit interview.

that was what was so scary; I have every reason to bug off because of how they've treated me but I don't want to lose out on these sweet sweet stock grants
    Nobody wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

Stock options, basically there was the chance to buy stock at a certain price, but it was withdrawn with the buyout.

This is accurate but it's still (probably?) bullshit.

They are planning on delivering an equity plan that might make up for the bullshit but we haven't seen word one of the terms.

This discussion has been closed.