Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Screams from My Father

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Solar wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    I gotta say

If Sanders thinks that by using his endorsement as leverage to push Clinton to the economic left will work then hey, why not do that.

If that's his strategy, why drop out? Why not keep pushing it, in order to try and drag her the way he wants?

Because at this point his campaign has unequivocally lost all momentum, and his chances of actually winning the nomination are as close to zero as they could get. And since the primary season is over, there's no point in campaigning further since he won't be in the general, and it's doubtful anybody would pay attention even if he kept campaigning.

And IMO, for all the criticism he's received for letting his campaign devolve into a massive ego trip, Bernie's enough of a progressive to understand a Trump presidency would be devastating for the US, and he absolutely does not want to take that risk.

Well, so what if he can't win? If his objective is dragging her to the left, and staying in despite not being able to win (clearly) will do that (as far as he sees it) while a Trump candidacy is unelectable, then why not? Like, I'm not saying that would be a strategy above criticism at all, just that sometimes your strategy doesn't actually mean you win 100% all out, it means you secure the best possible outcome at the time.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here, because his objective isn't pulling Hillary to the left.

If that were the case, he wouldn't have wasted this much time talking about super delegates while trying to make Hillary sound like a corporate stooge. Bernie has been trying to win the nomination, even after the point where it became impossible for him to do so.

And if it was his objective, he's not going to pull her any farther left than he already has; now that Hillary's the presumptive nominee, Bernie's campaign has ceased to be a threat. There's no reason why Hillary needs to move any further to the left to meet him.

Just because he says that he is still trying to win the nomination doesn't mean that his strategy isn't based around probably losing it but getting the best outcome of that situation.

As for whether you think his strategy is credible, well, that's a fair point. But his endorsement is still worth something, I think, if only because he ran a remarkably successful campaign considering where it began, and got a lot of support. Not enough to win, but enough that it wasn't insubstantial either. He has influence over a group of voters that Clinton wants (because hey, a vote is a vote).

All I am saying is that there seems to be a sentiment of "why is Sanders still in? Can't he see he's lost? Can't he see that it's pointless? Why does he keep on claiming he can win?" to which I say that this is not a win/loss binary state. There are lots of outcomes. It's not pointless to fight a losing battle in order to secure a more acceptable defeat. Saying that he can still win may be just a necessary element of remaining in the "race" (you can't credibly stay in while admitting straight up that you've lost, after all).

Solar on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Because centrism is so kind to disadvantaged folk

Don't get me wrong, I think Hillary's far from the ideal candidate, and I'm dreading what we'll see from her once her platform's solidified.

But she's a damn sight better than risking Trump getting into office.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    people are kind of incredibly wary of "But she's not TRUMP!" as an argument, considering how poorly it went for everyone else it's been said for

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Ah come on guys. You get Jefferson and Democrats get Hamilton and we leave Washington out of it. Those are the rules don't throw a fit just because you chose wrong.

Although I guess Jefferson probably wouldn't be trilled by the recent religious fundamentalism.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Nirya wrote: »
    necroSYS wrote: »
    Ladai wrote: »
    Looks like Sanders is ready to endorse Clinton:
    Bernie Sanders signaled a formal endorsement of Hillary Clinton is imminent, saying in an interview that Republican Donald Trump is “a pathological liar” and that he’ll throw his full support behind electing his rival for the Democratic nomination as president.

“We have got to do everything that we can to defeat Donald Trump and elect Hillary Clinton,” the Vermont senator said in an interview Thursday with Bloomberg’s Albert R. Hunt for PBS’s “Charlie Rose” program. “I don’t honestly know how we would survive four years of a Donald Trump” as president.

I'm just glad it seems this will be wrapped up before the conventions. I admit to having some harsh feelings toward Sanders during the last few months regarding how he's played out the tail end of his campaign, but now, honestly, I mostly just feel relief. I'm ready to move on.

Good grief, I don't know how we would survive four weeks, but Bernie, what the hell has been stopping you from endorsing her for the last 6 weeks?

The dnc hasn't committed to many of the policies and views Bernie is fighting for, he doesn't owe HRC or the DNC any endorsement. He'll use it as leverage and once policy that he can agree with is put in place the endorsement will be made.

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/bernie-sanders-this-isn-t-about-my-ego-719966787657?cid=eml_mda_20160707

He at least owes them a concession speech, which he has yet to give.

Why?

because he lost

... But he hasn't yet The contest isn't over till the convention. Is Hillary going to win? Yes, at the convention.

Which hasn't happened

I too like when the football team down 40 with a minute left in the 4th keeps calling timeout to try and get the ball back one last time.

Your analogy falls flat, how about. "It's always great when the Olympic team in second place during the relay race says "Fuck it" and walks off the field.

Sanders not formally conceding impedes nothing and doesn't delay Hillary's victory.

Holy christ

He lost

It's over

Fucking deal with it

ah yes, the ideal route for political and social progression

Okay, so, you know what? It really fucking is.

Sometimes you lose elections. This is quite possibly the single most important lesson any young progressive could ever learn. The fact that so many Sanders supporters are anywhere from rejection to outright denial of the idea that their guy lost is only outclassed by the stubbornness of Sanders himself on this. I don't have time to coddle Sanders supporters and hand them a participation trophy, and if I don't, Hillary Clinton sure as shit doesn't.

So, when we lose to conservatives, does the same attitude apply? That our ideals aren't popular, we may as well give it up?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    people are kind of incredibly wary of "But she's not TRUMP!" as an argument, considering how poorly it went for everyone else it's been said for

I can't argue with this, and I won't try to convince people otherwise

But, while I can't speak for everyone who says that, the abject fear I have personally of a Trump presidency demands I do everything in my power as a citizen to prevent it

And in a two-party, first past the post system, if that means voting for the only other candidate, that's what I've gotta do

(this election sucks and I want it to be over)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i understand that

but i wish people would stop trotting out the statement so eagerly and freely

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Good thing that's not the argument I'm trying to make.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    What's the over-under on Clint Eastwood showing up as George Washington

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I know I'm exhausted with folk telling me my stances are unobtainable

If it's important enough: never stop fighting

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hillary should tell Sanders and all the people who supported him to fuck off forever, and that they get nothing

That'll show that blackguard Bernie, when the youth turnout that overwhelmingly supported him stays home on Election Day

• Options

Was Washington well known for yelling at empty chairs?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Bernie Sanders signaled a formal endorsement of Hillary Clinton is imminent, saying in an interview that Republican Donald Trump is “a pathological liar” and that he’ll throw his full support behind electing his rival for the Democratic nomination as president.

“We have got to do everything that we can to defeat Donald Trump and elect Hillary Clinton,” the Vermont senator said in an interview Thursday with Bloomberg’s Albert R. Hunt for PBS’s “Charlie Rose” program. “I don’t honestly know how we would survive four years of a Donald Trump” as president.

I'm just glad it seems this will be wrapped up before the conventions. I admit to having some harsh feelings toward Sanders during the last few months regarding how he's played out the tail end of his campaign, but now, honestly, I mostly just feel relief. I'm ready to move on.

Good grief, I don't know how we would survive four weeks, but Bernie, what the hell has been stopping you from endorsing her for the last 6 weeks?

The dnc hasn't committed to many of the policies and views Bernie is fighting for, he doesn't owe HRC or the DNC any endorsement. He'll use it as leverage and once policy that he can agree with is put in place the endorsement will be made.

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/bernie-sanders-this-isn-t-about-my-ego-719966787657?cid=eml_mda_20160707

Why?

because he lost

... But he hasn't yet The contest isn't over till the convention. Is Hillary going to win? Yes, at the convention.

Which hasn't happened

I too like when the football team down 40 with a minute left in the 4th keeps calling timeout to try and get the ball back one last time.

Your analogy falls flat, how about. "It's always great when the Olympic team in second place during the relay race says "Fuck it" and walks off the field.

Sanders not formally conceding impedes nothing and doesn't delay Hillary's victory.

Holy christ

He lost

It's over

Fucking deal with it

Sometimes you lose elections. This is quite possibly the single most important lesson any young progressive could ever learn. The fact that so many Sanders supporters are anywhere from rejection to outright denial of the idea that their guy lost is only outclassed by the stubbornness of Sanders himself on this. I don't have time to coddle Sanders supporters and hand them a participation trophy, and if I don't, Hillary Clinton sure as shit doesn't.

So, when we lose to conservatives, does the same attitude apply? That our ideals aren't popular, we may as well give it up?

so you wait 4 years, build up your support, and try again

this idea was unique to the US parties in 1796, do you know what everyone else was doing instead?

Jars on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Preview of the GOP convention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iclljvDoxFs
    Hey, remember when Adam Carolla was funny instead of a bitter old asshole?

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Hillary should tell Sanders and all the people who supported him to fuck off forever, and that they get nothing

That'll show that blackguard Bernie, when the youth turnout that overwhelmingly supported him stays home on Election Day

No that comes after Bernie endorses her with the beauty of a thousand sunsets and she wins the election

Then she puts the knife in, just like with Vince Foster

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

Sure you're not thinking of Jeb

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

Why?

because he lost

Which hasn't happened

Holy christ

He lost

It's over

Fucking deal with it

so you wait 4 years, build up your support, and try again

this idea was unique to the US parties in 1796, do you know what everyone else was doing instead?

When you get older you tend to filibuster instead

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »

Sure you're not thinking of Jeb

No, no, no, Jeb was the one who asked empty chairs to clap.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    i understand that

but i wish people would stop trotting out the statement so eagerly and freely

It's literally all we've got

There's nothing else that matters nearly as much to us

I can only apologize on behalf of the fearful voting block

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't even dislike Hillary all that much and I feel like her not being Trump ought to be a convincing argument because I see Trump as an existential threat to the Republic itself. People bristle at the idea of voting for the lesser of two evils, but the way I see it, we have one person you may disagree with on some policy issues and the other person is an Actual Fascist.

To me, it's literally like refusing to vote for Mussolini's opponent because you don't agree with them enough.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Not a lot of news sources I trust on this yet, so I'll hold off on links, but appearently yesterday in Atlanta the KKK was in a park handing out fliers for an event and today in that same park a black man was hanged. Before any investigation or autopsy the police have ruled it a suicide.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what if mussolini's opponent was worse than mussolini

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    dont vote for super-Mussolini please

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    dont vote for super-Mussolini please

do you want ultra-mussolini to win

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It's Mussolinis all the way down.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Not a lot of news sources I trust on this yet, so I'll hold off on links, but appearently yesterday in Atlanta the KKK was in a park handing out fliers for an event and today in that same park a black man was hanged. Before any investigation or autopsy the police have ruled it a suicide.

I live a few blocks away from Piedmont Park, biked through it yesterday like I do multiple times a week. The flyers thing is, and let me be explicit here, total bullshit, but it's already impossible to dissuade anyone this on Twitter because Twitter. There is no evidence of flyers being handed out and Piedmont Park is not a "KKK hangout." Pride weekend was held here, like, last weekend. The park's south border is the corner of Piedmont Ave. and 10th street, the historical epicenter of the Atlanta gay community. Midtown Atlanta is probably the most progressive neighborhood in the entire state. There's an alt-right/nationalist presence on occasion at Stone Mountain, due to its historical connection to the modern KKK, but that's thirty miles east of here. There were some rallies a few months back about generally opposing the KKK, the Confederate flag, and racism in general and I have a feeling that's where this rumor about KKK flyers started up.

The rest of the story is, sadly, true. Police found the body of a black man in the park around 6-7 AM today, allegedly hanging from a tree in the park. There were initial reports that it was ruled a suicide, but there is still no official autopsy announced. The Atlanta Police have already turned over the investigation to the FBI.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    who would you vote for in an election between mussolini and hitler

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    It's Mussolinis all the way down.

Please don't insult turtles by proxy.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I would vote for stockpiling petrol and instructions for destroying bridges and derailing trains

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

I live a few blocks away from Piedmont Park, biked through it yesterday like I do multiple times a week. The flyers thing is, and let me be explicit here, total bullshit, but it's already impossible to dissuade anyone this on Twitter because Twitter. There is no evidence of flyers being handed out and Piedmont Park is not a "KKK hangout." Pride weekend was held here, like, last weekend. There's an alt-right/nationalist presence on occasion at Stone Mountain, due to its historical connection to the modern KKK, but that's thirty miles east of here. There were some rallies a few months back about generally opposing the KKK, the Confederate flag, and racism in general and I have a feeling that's where this rumor about KKK flyers started up.

The rest of the story is, sadly, true. Police found the body of a black man in the park around 6-7 AM today, allegedly hanging from a tree in the park. There were initial reports that it was ruled a suicide, but there is still no official autopsy announced. The Atlanta Police have already turned over the investigation to the FBI.

Thank you for clearing the details up. I live in NW Indiana, and where I grew up was about 20 minutes away from one of the bigger KKK spots in the state, and they have like offices a bit south of me in South Bend. Kind of everywhere around here and its scary.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Ah come on guys. You get Jefferson and Democrats get Hamilton and we leave Washington out of it. Those are the rules don't throw a fit just because you chose wrong.

Although I guess Jefferson probably wouldn't be trilled by the recent religious fundamentalism.

Especially considering Washington really hated political parties.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    who would you vote for in an election between mussolini and hitler
    I just found the limit to my political pragmatism

Good to know!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I would vote for neither but join the nearest resistance cell.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I'd have to go for il duce since he was slightly less racist

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Hey, remember when Adam Carolla was funny instead of a bitter old asshole?

He's pretty much always been a spiteful misogynistic crank; he just hid it better when he was working with funnier and less repulsive comedians, instead of being given free rein to wallow in his own filth.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The fact that manufacturing output continued to increase while employment dropped significantly (as a result of technological improvements) actually more than anything implies that tariffs on manufacturing goods probably propped up an otherwise inefficient industry. That industry in the US was already dying, and the tariffs slowed its death. The fact that output increased while labor decreased so significantly is in the end a net positive and is how economies advance in the long-term at both the industry-wide and national scales. Manufacturing is a low-skill job that can be automated and made more productive through technology because it's routine. Manufacturing jobs aren't coming back, and I'd say complaining about the fact that it reduced manufacturing jobs in the short-term ignores that it increased US intra-bloc trading by about 40%. This is an increase in national and international demand for US products and services, which inevitably put more people into jobs.

Free trade is in general a pretty good thing (and I'm pretty fucking leftist by the by). The problem is when not everyone plays by the same rules and things touted as free trade aren't actually free trade and instead prop up other industries/firms thanks to lobbying powers.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular

I live a few blocks away from Piedmont Park, biked through it yesterday like I do multiple times a week. The flyers thing is, and let me be explicit here, total bullshit, but it's already impossible to dissuade anyone this on Twitter because Twitter. There is no evidence of flyers being handed out and Piedmont Park is not a "KKK hangout." Pride weekend was held here, like, last weekend. There's an alt-right/nationalist presence on occasion at Stone Mountain, due to its historical connection to the modern KKK, but that's thirty miles east of here. There were some rallies a few months back about generally opposing the KKK, the Confederate flag, and racism in general and I have a feeling that's where this rumor about KKK flyers started up.

Thank you for clearing the details up. I live in NW Indiana, and where I grew up was about 20 minutes away from one of the bigger KKK spots in the state, and they have like offices a bit south of me in South Bend. Kind of everywhere around here and its scary.

I'm going to be honest, it's sad and frustrating, because I'm smart enough to know that as some white dude, going into the hashtag and explaining how everyone's wrong is not going to be helpful or productive, and at the same time it's very frustrating to watch the misinformation spread. There's a palpable attitude of anger and stress in Atlanta's black community right now because this story has melded into the stories of the police shootings and there's already massive rallies being planned the rest of the week. There was actually one just at the Park a few hours ago. And of course it should go without saying that no matter what the eventual coroner's report reveals, the very image alone of a dead black man being found hanging from a tree in Georgia is just not a comforting image to anyone here. People are very angry and have the right to be but at the same time it's not helpful to get people more angry over rumors. Whatever happened to this guy is a horrible story and people are all just arguing over exactly how horrible it is.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Why?

because he lost

Which hasn't happened

Holy christ

He lost

It's over

Fucking deal with it

no, you go "time to prepare for the next elections"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

Why?

because he lost

Which hasn't happened

Holy christ

He lost

It's over

Fucking deal with it

no, you go "time to prepare for the next elections"

This is demonized as "pivoting towards the center" or "triangulation" so of course the very concept is anathema to the type of diehards who'd rather not vote than vote for Clinton.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Democrats in general need to do a better job at local elections instead of shooting for the presidency and hoping that solves everything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.