Options

Pokemon Thread: Shaymin you if you don't get your Shaymin through Mystery Gift this month!

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    just as a by-the-by with regards to the "Hey those dudes who are really into the game are gonna leave us all in the dust!"
    The exp grind gets insane later. IIRC 25-26 takes the same exp as 20-25 did.
    It will be difficult for even the most crazy players to severely overlevel everyone.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The game is messing with me this morning. I pulled into work and an Abra popped up in the parking lot and then it transitioned from night to day and it disappeared.

Then, walking into work a ghastly(?) appeared for about 2 seconds and poofed away before I could click on it.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Really I thought most people would pick their team color based on what Gen 1 game boy pokemon game they played back then.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I totally picked team blue cause it was my first game, and well I like the color blue. Apparently people at work are starting to pick it up and I'm trying to convince everyone to join team blue so we can run around at lunch and crush gyms.

I'm also trying to convince myself to get up and go down to the river in the hopes that maybe I can catch a ton of magikarp.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Really I thought most people would pick their team color based on what Gen 1 game boy pokemon game they played back then.

It's probably that and also people just picking their favorite color which also puts red/blue ahead of yellow. Apparently blue is the most popular color*, and at least for my location it's also the most popular pokemon team. I think if they made the third team green instead of yellow then the numbers would have been more equal.

*probably some bullshit statistics

Grobian on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I thought it had something to do with how you played, so I picked yellow because I was like, oh he's all about hatching and I wanna hatch my own Pokemon.

But now I have yellow pride so it all worked out.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Nah, yellow isn't that far behind according to the reddit strawpoll

I think Pokemon Yellow being a game in the west and Zapdos being the best legendary bird is doing more favors for its color than green would

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    So. Ive been cataloging the pokemon that spawn near my house.
    Turns out one spawns in the exact same location pretty much on the dot every single hour. For me, that's at 5:55pm 6:55pm 7:55pm and so on.
    It's either a magikarp or slowpoke (I havent seen anything else.)

I wonder if that's normal or deviant. Like, pokemon spawning near you is all well and good, but every single hour at the exact same time? That cant be intended.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It's a recipe for being king of the Gyrados is what it is. I imagine a Slowbro is pretty strong as well.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    You know, after reading the last few pages and ruminating on my own experiences .... this game is a piece of crap.

I'm not sure how a team can put out such garbage software and still have it be insanely fun and addictive.

I could go over the list of bugs, but we all know them

what's more interesting to me is the fact that I don't want to stop playing despite the bugs

• Options
    Just looked up the Scout hall where I do my weekly gaming night and it's an Ingress portal, so hopefully it's also a Pokestop and I can get mad spins in.

I'll be kind of narked if it's a gym. Much less to gain from spending hours sat on it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Got my new phone and it's already paying off--strolled over to the nearest gym this morning and boosted it up strong enough that I could deposit my level 900 Hypno. I've noticed that the gym turns blue in the morning, yellow in the afternoon, and red at night (it's a heavily populated area). :P

I also managed to geolocate my first pokemon (instead of waiting for it to come to me), a pikachu! Walked east to work, saw a pikachu popping up on the radar (3 steps)... continued walking east past work (2 steps, 1 step, 2 steps). Walked back west until it was one step, then crossed the street north and huzzah, triangulation works!

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    You can't train Pokemon while they're in a gym, at least, which actually probably helps keep one team from permanently sand bagging a gym. Even if they're doing a bunch of crazy leveling, that particular gym will be stuck at that level.

Also, you don't need to wipe the gym to make progress against it. You get xp for trying, and you can lower its prestige, so you have fewer pokemon to fight. It's not perfect, and n it's still not great for low level players, but there are still ways to engage with it.

It's going to encourage local players to team up and meet, which is something I think they really want to push.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I may have missed it, cause the thread is fast. But it would be great for some sort of reward just for fighting at gyms. Still uses potions/ revives, but right now stardust is a limiting resource for powering up, and owning a gym is the only way outside of catching pokes to get more. Also gym ownership gives you freemium coins, so it is frustrating that though I can burn a gym down with crap pokes, if I can't hold it I shouldn't bother.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    still don't know how people are repping pokes this strong!!

I'm level 12 and my strongest poke is a 600 CP goldbat named grandma, and that was only after evolving a nearly maxed out zubat and then feeding more candies

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    You can't train Pokemon while they're in a gym, at least, which actually probably helps keep one team from permanently sand bagging a gym. Even if they're doing a bunch of crazy leveling, that particular gym will be stuck at that level.

Also, you don't need to wipe the gym to make progress against it. You get xp for trying, and you can lower its prestige, so you have fewer pokemon to fight. It's not perfect, and n it's still not great for low level players, but there are still ways to engage with it.

It's going to encourage local players to team up and meet, which is something I think they really want to push.

I've met over a dozen people in 24 hours

It really is incredible

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    You know, after reading the last few pages and ruminating on my own experiences .... this game is a piece of crap.

I'm not sure how a team can put out such garbage software and still have it be insanely fun and addictive.

what's more interesting to me is the fact that I don't want to stop playing despite the bugs

Authentic gen 1 experience

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

I'm level 12 and my strongest poke is a 600 CP goldbat named grandma, and that was only after evolving a nearly maxed out zubat and then feeding more candies

Golbat Wants It Al Dente: Golbat NEEDS it Al Dente

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    It also applies to training up the gym--the way I got it up two thousand prestige or so in fifteen minutes was because the lowest pokemon was only 400 CP (the two others were 900+). I beat the haunter, ran (130~ points), beat it, ran, etc. There'll be a strategic advantage to leaving only a mid level poke first.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    If anyone's in Pittsburgh, there's a Go bar crawl Saturday night from 9-2 in the South Side. They're encouraging people to dress in team colors. There's 350 people going and over 2,000 interested, according to the FB event

I might check it out just to meet people

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular

I really do hate the game itself. I'm only continuing to endure it because of the social environment that's congealed around it. But it upsets me that its success will insulate the responsible parties from any consequences for such incredibly shoddy work.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    It also applies to training up the gym--the way I got it up two thousand prestige or so in fifteen minutes was because the lowest pokemon was only 400 CP (the two others were 900+). I beat the haunter, ran (130~ points), beat it, ran, etc. There'll be a strategic advantage to leaving only a mid level poke first.

yeah, that's what I was learning yesterday. if there's only one poke there and it's high level, it makes it difficult for your team to help out that gym

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »

yeah, that's what I was learning yesterday. if there's only one poke there and it's high level, it makes it difficult for your team to help out that gym

But unless you coordinate, leaving a weaker poke could backfire

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options

The species makes a biiiig difference to the power. Like you I've not managed to find anything crazy good so I'm currently the bird master and my top three guys are all Pidgeots.

Looks like if you find one strong single evolution guy like Scyther, or evolve one Eevee, then you rocket up the power levels.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    my aerodactyl is ~500 power and I'm just barely level 9

• Options
    edited July 2016

I really do hate the game itself. I'm only continuing to endure it because of the social environment that's congealed around it. But it upsets me that its success will insulate the responsible parties from any consequences for such incredibly shoddy work.

It's still a very early version of the game, and a lot of the"shoddiness" had a lot to do with the game being way more popular than could be reasonably expected. I'm willing to give them a moment to build on what's there before complaining that they're being insulated from failure because so many people are playing it

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    man i leave this open at my desk and I just got back and I leveled up to level 11, but that's all it says. I have no idea what goodies I got for that.

And I need my goodies.

I did hatch a Cubone though!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options

It's still a very early version of the game, and a lot of the"shoddiness" had a lot to do with the game being way more popular than could be reasonably expected. I'm willing to give them a moment to build on what's there before complaining that they're being insulated from failure because so many people are playing it

I mean .... sort of? I've never played pokemon before now, and even I know that the minute one comes out, it's a guaranteed best seller

It kind of sounds like they took the same framework from a less popular game and made pokemon on top of it.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I mean .... sort of? I've never played pokemon before now, and even I know that the minute one comes out, it's a guaranteed best seller

It kind of sounds like they took the same framework from a less popular game and made pokemon on top of it.

The framework that they took from, Ingress, is also a much more detailed, robust game than Pokemon Go currently is.

It's kind of amazing to me that everyone slept on Ingress but is going nuts over this game, but that is the power of branding, I guess.

• Options

Nobody could have reasonably predicted how huge this has been. There's not really a precedent for it, at least in terms of mobile games. And it's not like release window server issues are a problem that's been conclusively solved. Every WoW expansion melts their servers down, and they're on like, the sixth one.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Nobody could have reasonably predicted how huge this has been. There's not really a precedent for it, at least in terms of mobile games. And it's not like release window server issues are a problem that's been conclusively solved. Every WoW expansion melts their servers down, and they're on like, the sixth one.

The server problems are frankly only a slice of the issues with this game. I was up at 4:30 this morning, the little "having trouble connecting" wheel was nowhere to be seen, and the game hardlocked and required me to reboot my phone four times in the walk from my apartment to my bus stop.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Yeah, I mean, it's nuts.

I started a week long camping trip with the game not being out, I come back down from the mountains and get cell signal back and its like, more downloads than tinder and my friends are organizing a trip to a bar for pokemon today or something?

I don't even know, I haven't even downloaded the app.

But it definitely feels like I went on a trip, came back and the world went mad.

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    man i leave this open at my desk and I just got back and I leveled up to level 11, but that's all it says. I have no idea what goodies I got for that.

And I need my goodies.

I did hatch a Cubone though!

check your journal!

• Options

This is already way, way, way bigger than any pokemon game before

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Inquisitor wrote: »

The framework that they took from, Ingress, is also a much more detailed, robust game than Pokemon Go currently is.

It's kind of amazing to me that everyone slept on Ingress but is going nuts over this game, but that is the power of branding, I guess.

Ingress is all combat all the time. This has that aspect but as a sideshow to the main dealio of roaming around and collecting, giving it a much wider appeal. Plus branding as you say.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I hatched a 45cp diglett whose semicircle is almost halfway full

damn diglett. you are like sub-bug level strength, my dude

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Damn it there's a pinsir one pawprint away but I'm at my desk, please wander over closer.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    Level 11 goodies are pokeballs, super potions, and revives. I could be wrong on the revives. I just hit 11 last night.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    But those people who have the gyms are levelling up, too, and they're doing it faster than me

And since the level cap is high enough to still be a mystery, I'm basically stuck on a never-ending treadmill

And I get that the point of the game is walking around, but it's not like I can boot up google maps, search for gyms in my area, and head out.

There are 2 steps of randomness involved. The first is driving aimlessly around town and hoping to stumble upon a gym within my radar range. And the second is the gym owner being near my level. I just do not have the time and gas to waste hoping I'll get lucky, so I'm basically forced to ignore one of the game's three core mechanics.

At least with pokestops and pokemon, if I find them can use them, so wandering to do those never feels like a wasted effort.

There's a max CP value for each Pokemon, so it isn't quite an endless treadmill. However, I understand why you might feel that.

There are several downsides to the game, and as I posted earlier I think that the control aspect of gyms is one of the weakest aspects. It seems more like a holdover from Ingress than a Pokemon game.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    But those people who have the gyms are levelling up, too, and they're doing it faster than me

And since the level cap is high enough to still be a mystery, I'm basically stuck on a never-ending treadmill

And I get that the point of the game is walking around, but it's not like I can boot up google maps, search for gyms in my area, and head out.

There are 2 steps of randomness involved. The first is driving aimlessly around town and hoping to stumble upon a gym within my radar range. And the second is the gym owner being near my level. I just do not have the time and gas to waste hoping I'll get lucky, so I'm basically forced to ignore one of the game's three core mechanics.

At least with pokestops and pokemon, if I find them can use them, so wandering to do those never feels like a wasted effort.

There's a max CP value for each Pokemon, so it isn't quite an endless treadmill. However, I understand why you might feel that.

There are several downsides to the game, and as I posted earlier I think that the control aspect of gyms is one of the weakest aspects. It seems more like a holdover from Ingress than a Pokemon game.

the max CP value of a pokemon increases with trainer level, though

f2ojmwh3geue.png
This discussion has been closed.