As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon Thread: Shaymin you if you don't get your Shaymin through Mystery Gift this month!

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    man i leave this open at my desk and I just got back and I leveled up to level 11, but that's all it says. I have no idea what goodies I got for that.

And I need my goodies.

I did hatch a Cubone though!

check your journal!

I did, nothing.

GPS was bugged out when I got back so im wondering if I lost my stuff. I still only have 2 lures which seems weird for the amount of lures I see in the wild. Do you only get them leveling up?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    New Pokemon

corocoro8161.jpg

The bear is Normal/Fighting and the other... thing... is Ghost/Fairy with an ability called Disguise so... new Ditto/Zoroark-esque mon maybe?

I don't like the looks of either of those Pokemon in that scan, but I could really get into the sheet ghost if its thing is "transforms into a creepily inaccurate copy of other Pokemon".

Based on the tail, I guess the bear is somewhat red-panda-inspired? Which makes it all the more tragic that its design is a mess.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    You know, after reading the last few pages and ruminating on my own experiences .... this game is a piece of crap.

I'm not sure how a team can put out such garbage software and still have it be insanely fun and addictive.

I could go over the list of bugs, but we all know them

what's more interesting to me is the fact that I don't want to stop playing despite the bugs

I really do hate the game itself. I'm only continuing to endure it because of the social environment that's congealed around it. But it upsets me that its success will insulate the responsible parties from any consequences for such incredibly shoddy work.

It's still a very early version of the game, and a lot of the"shoddiness" had a lot to do with the game being way more popular than could be reasonably expected. I'm willing to give them a moment to build on what's there before complaining that they're being insulated from failure because so many people are playing it

I mean .... sort of? I've never played pokemon before now, and even I know that the minute one comes out, it's a guaranteed best seller

It kind of sounds like they took the same framework from a less popular game and made pokemon on top of it.

The framework that they took from, Ingress, is also a much more detailed, robust game than Pokemon Go currently is.

It's kind of amazing to me that everyone slept on Ingress but is going nuts over this game, but that is the power of branding, I guess.

It is, Ingress has a lot of depth to it, but it didn't start that way. The difference between when I was playing in 2012 and when I'm playing Ingress now is staggering.

Niantic has also said that they're focused on getting the game released worldwide and making sure that the servers can handle the strain, and that they plan on a new update every two weeks. They're already talking about a few concrete additions to the game, so they're probably already far into development of them or already have developed them.

I think Pokemon Go already has a lot of depth to it that Ingress didn't. In Ingress, if you aren't near a portal, there's nothing to do. You have XM bursts that can't do anything, shields that don't do anything, and walking between locations doesn't net you anything except km on your Trekker badge. Go has things to do without needing to go to a gym or pokestop.

However, I do think that Go is somewhat suffering from the developer being in the mindset of Ingress. The Pokestops as the non-pay source to get pokeballs, and the gym capturing mechanics don't necessarily work for the property atm. Ingress did a lot of work for Niantic, but the portals aren't anywhere near spread out enough to work for the Pokemon Go audience. I've got seven within my building at work, but there are whole stretches in the US and Canada that have none. The ability to move around and do something without going to the gym or a stop helps, but it isn't a flawless mechanic right now.

But that's okay! It may not be perfect now, less than a week after release, but it's playable, enjoyable, and they're dedicated to keeping the game rolling and improving on a fairly regular and short schedule.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    man i leave this open at my desk and I just got back and I leveled up to level 11, but that's all it says. I have no idea what goodies I got for that.

And I need my goodies.

I did hatch a Cubone though!

check your journal!

I did, nothing.

GPS was bugged out when I got back so im wondering if I lost my stuff. I still only have 2 lures which seems weird for the amount of lures I see in the wild. Do you only get them leveling up?

I'm level 11 and have only gotten 2 lures

This game is really good about giving you your stuff, so whatever you got is probably in your bags

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    There's a guy on reddit living near a Dratini spawn, posting a screen of his storage full of Dratinis

Join me in trying to hate him to death

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    There's a guy on reddit living near a Dratini spawn, posting a screen of his storage full of Dratinis

sending my hate out

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    A daily log in reward that equated to a few Pokestop spins would go a long way to keeping the game viable for remoter locations. As it is if you run out of balls and your nearest stop is an inconvenient distance away, then it's pay up or game over.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    New Pokemon

corocoro8161.jpg

The bear is Normal/Fighting and the other... thing... is Ghost/Fairy with an ability called Disguise so... new Ditto/Zoroark-esque mon maybe?

I don't like the looks of either of those Pokemon in that scan, but I could really get into the sheet ghost if its thing is "transforms into a creepily inaccurate copy of other Pokemon".

Based on the tail, I guess the bear is somewhat red-panda-inspired? Which makes it all the more tragic that its design is a mess.

the bear panda is quite unfortunate-looking

but I really like pakochu's replace

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    New Pokemon

corocoro8161.jpg

the bear panda is quite unfortunate-looking

but I really like pakochu's replace

Oh my god that's basically what it is. Incredible.

(I also like that there are also pictures of Rockruff being cute scattered around those pages)

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    A daily log in reward that equated to a few Pokestop spins would go a long way to keeping the game viable for remoter locations. As it is if you run out of balls and your nearest stop is an inconvenient distance away, then it's pay up or game over.

That or a reward for badges and walking. Catch 10 poison types? Get 5 pokeballs. Walk 5km? Get 5 pokeballs. Hatch an egg? Pokeballs!

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular

fuck my stupid magikarp/slowpoke fountain, some motherfucker has free dragonites? Im mad.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Like the swallows to Capistrano, or however the saying goes, the gym is now yellow. Now to track down when it turns red...

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular

latest?cb=20100203100108

end him

• Options
    also yeah like I'm at level 15 and the experience I need to gain my next level is 20,000

it curves hard

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Niantic has honored requests to remove locations from the game in the beta and will probably continue to do so but I wonder if they have a way to flat out exclude a section of a map that small from spawning any kind of pokemon

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I just woke up and read a text from my wife last night. Apparently while I was sleeping she decided to take both of our phones and hop the neighbor's fence to catch us both a magikarp and a ponyta. :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    I just woke up and read a text from my wife last night. Apparently while I was sleeping she decided to take both of our phones and hop the neighbor's fence to catch us both a magikarp and a ponyta. :rotate:

my girlfriend last night was like "I think if you ever left me to go catch a pokemon I would not be happy with you"

And of course I said I wouldn't do that, because like...I can prioritize things in life

but if a wild Jolteon appeared

well, I could learn to love again

• Options
    my family is all moving away tomorrow to Vancouver and the movers are here to pack their things today and I just realized it's gonna be too loud to work so I'm trying to find a coffee shop to work at because I don't feel like going downtown

and this is the first time I've been like "man I should consider what pokestops will be in range"

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "Take you with me when catching pokemon, got it"

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Caving to peer pressure I downloaded this and left it on in my pocket while walking to get groceries. I did the low power thing but it still ate like 25% battery. Also, is it just my phone or does the game lock up a lot when you bring it out of low power mode? Like, my guy is still moving on the screen but the touch controls and swiping are dead until I reboot the game.

I found a sandshrew, a pidget, a rattata, a spearow, an ekans and a duduo. Highest cp is the duduo at 58. Is it like, worth upgrading any of these guys? I have no idea, the game doesn't give you much to go on. I found a few of those blue things, they are pokemon centers right? And you just.. spin the icon and get stuff? I felt like I was missing something there.

I found a gym but apparently I need to be level 5 to interact with that and I am only level 3 so no go there.

Edit: And the game just crashed trying to load in to check my pokemon, this thing is kinda buggy isn't it?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    That new ghost pokemon is great!

Definitely a contender for my Sun team.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    the locking up after bringing the phone out of its battery saving sleep state is something that only just started happening for me

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Caving to peer pressure I downloaded this and left it on in my pocket while walking to get groceries. I did the low power thing but it still ate like 25% battery. Also, is it just my phone or does the game lock up a lot when you bring it out of low power mode? Like, my guy is still moving on the screen but the touch controls and swiping are dead until I reboot the game.

I found a sandshrew, a pidget, a rattata, a spearow, an ekans and a duduo. Highest cp is the duduo at 58. Is it like, worth upgrading any of these guys? I have no idea, the game doesn't give you much to go on. I found a few of those blue things, they are pokemon centers right? And you just.. spin the icon and get stuff? I felt like I was missing something there.

I found a gym but apparently I need to be level 5 to interact with that and I am only level 3 so no go there.

my phone does the same thing with battery saver mode, unfortunately

i would say don't bother upgrading any of pokes yet. it only matters once you get to interact with gyms, and even then--because the max CP of each poke you have, and general range of CPs you can encounter increases with your trainer level--there's not a great answer atm (in my experience) to "boost this mon or just wait to catch a better one"

i would recommend only boosting a poke that is already pretty high power, in general, as it eats up stardust fast, and only when you are preparing to deposit that poke to defend a gym, or are preparing to try and take one

edit: in general, you're inevitably gonna keep catching pokes that outclass your old ones

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    God damn it I hate how crappy the GPS in this game is. There was an Abra on campus within two footsteps earlier, but no matter how far I walked my avatar just refused to move and eventually it vanished.

I did manage to stumble on a Dratini while walking back to my car, so there's that at least.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    This game is tearing society apart and leading to existential crisis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsiszLnzMhs

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    That new ghost pokemon is great!

Definitely a contender for my Sun team.

If it can change to look like other Pokemon too I will be SO ON BOARD.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    basically just evolve your pokes until you hit level 10 is my general advice if you're really worried about battling and stuff

at that point it's ok to start thinking about like...max evolutions and CP boosting and things

the bar on top of the pokemon shows how much total CP they can have (furthest right on the semi circle) so you can get a sense of how far along that particular poke's progression they are

In general the rule is, if you evolve a pokemon, it gets ~2.5x CP for evolving, and remains at the same point on it's power curve

I'm working on some good looking, easy to understand visual guides for this game. gotta put that marketing degree to good work

• Options
    Does leveling up pokemon help me level up? Or nah?

• Options

leveling up, no, but evolving your pokes does give you a nice juicy exp bump

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ph blake wrote: »
    God damn it I hate how crappy the GPS in this game is. There was an Abra on campus within two footsteps earlier, but no matter how far I walked my avatar just refused to move and eventually it vanished.

I did manage to stumble on a Dratini while walking back to my car, so there's that at least.

Turn off the WiFi location tracker unless you can't get a GPS signal. Phones skim the Wifi data to figure out your location (You don't have to be connected to the WiFi network, just be able to see it from your phone) which causes you to stick. If you go to the location settings in your phone settings you can change it from "GPS + WiFi" to "GPS".

Dedwrekka on
  • Options

Well, to continue my line of question as the game teaches you essentially nothing, how do you evolve a pokemon? I mean, in the games you level them up to evolve them.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Pokestops now tell me my bag is full, I can't get any more rewards. But the bag limit seems to be item specific because sometimes I do get pots and revives. The ball limit is something like 220 for me at level 8. (can't check because the server is down)

• Options

Well, to continue my line of question as the game teaches you essentially nothing, how do you evolve a pokemon? I mean, in the games you level them up to evolve them.

Open a pokemon's page by clicking it in the Pokemon menu, you'll have two options available. "Power Up" or "Evolve". Power Up costs stardust and candies, evolving only costs candies. You get candies by hatching that pokemon from an egg, capturing others of that pokemon, or trading others of that pokemon.
    All candies are specific to that evolutionary path, so Pidgey candies work for Pidgeotto and Pidgeot.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    This may be common knowledge, but I learned today that an XL/XL does not necessarily retain those sizes when you evolve it.

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    LTM wrote: »
    This may be common knowledge, but I learned today that an XL/XL does not necessarily retain those sizes when you evolve it.

oh really? Sad times. I was looking forward to the fattest gyarados.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Open a pokemon's page by clicking it in the Pokemon menu, you'll have two options available. "Power Up" or "Evolve". Power Up costs stardust and candies, evolving only costs candies. You get candies by hatching that pokemon from an egg, capturing others of that pokemon, or trading others of that pokemon.
    All candies are specific to that evolutionary path, so Pidgey candies work for Pidgeotto and Pidgeot.

Oh geezus I need a lot of candies for some of these guys. Won't be doing any evolutions any time soon I guess.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    how does that work with eevee anyway

do you just get a random eeveelution or

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    how does that work with eevee anyway

do you just get a random eeveelution or

seems like it!

This discussion has been closed.