Options

[Chat] Hotel

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    While driving on the highway during a heavy thunderstorm I saw an SUV lose control, flipped once and crashed into a ditch. I didn't stop to try and pull over to help because it was raining hard and I would have to cross two lanes to pull over, felt bad about it.

honestly if you aren't trained you run the risk of causing more harm anyway (not saying you're guaranteed to, just)

best to just call 911 and report it

Every first aid instructor I've ever had would disagree with you, at volume

the risk of you making things worse is nothing compared to the likelihood of the benefit of even untrained help

well that's incredibly inconvenient for me

well, yes. Stop and help. If you're worried about not knowing what to do, take a first aid course. The main point of those are that even if you forget most of it, that you'll be like "right I know sorta what to do" and you start to do things

There are really only two things to know if you're untrained. If there's no danger of them being hurt more, don't move them. If there is danger of them being hurt more, only move them enough to get them out of danger.

mmm, well, people are too focused on the "don't move injured people!" in my experience

my two things would be:

1. make sure that you don't end up needing two ambulances instead of one
    2. airways

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    This new phone doesn't have a button to mute the ringtone. My old phone is a relic of a more civilised age.

If it's android 6.x, it's on the screen. Tap the volume button up or down, get the little slider to appear at the top of the screen and there should be a circle-with-chevron you can hit to open the various volume menu.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    now to find a gem pun with kwisatz haderach

quisartz haderach

it's like you're not even trying p10
    'like'

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Bethryn wrote: »
    a:tla's ending. . .
    Counterpoint: Korra s1 ending.
    it's not korra doing the doing tho

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    kwWvYJ4.jpg

But those nails ARE fab

Fyi this is fake the application job is too perfect for a child and I recognize the product that was actually used

https://www.amazon.com/GLITTER-Purrdy-Paws-protectors-Supply/dp/B00E8GH05A

I am not ready to accept that someone would just lie on the internet!

CeJ0fueWwAAcaYj.jpg

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Ugh, spoiled for stress + relationship stuff
    Despite it feeling early, I've been increasingly wishing I could move in with Querry like, now. We originally talked about it abstractly a few months ago, because my lease ends in late July, so that put it into our heads. We didn't actually bring it up until a bit after that, and the conclusion was basically "yeah, that would've been too early, but next year around then sounds like a good date to shoot for, if things are still going well." We separately came to those conclusions. But the thought of it has been cropping up more lately, for a variety of reasons, and now we both would really like to, even though it doesn't make sense, so we've got another yearish before we can.

But anyway, it's extremely stressful not to, and causes a not small amount of pining. A lot of this is tied to work, which has just kicked up a thousand percent. We both periodically have twelve hour days, and come home too exhausted to really interact with each other in the ways we're used to. There are a lot of times when I just want to eat and then go to bed with her, but I never get that on the days I really need it, and we both have to scavenge or cook for ourselves even when we get home at nine, and the other person always feels weird and wishes they could be there for practical and emotional support.

Basically life is stressful and I wish I could come home to her consistently, and spend exhausted nights snuggling into her and falling asleep, instead of exhaustedly trying to Skype and watch TV and then sleeping alone.

then do it.

Other people are going to give you stoic advise about taking time blah blah blah

do it. Just do it.

Will you be happier if you do it than any potential negative side effects? THEN DO IT

JUST DO IT

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    kwWvYJ4.jpg

But those nails ARE fab

Fyi this is fake the application job is too perfect for a child and I recognize the product that was actually used

https://www.amazon.com/GLITTER-Purrdy-Paws-protectors-Supply/dp/B00E8GH05A

gasp! EXPOSED

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    My buddy is a bit torn on whether he's going to tell his kid Santa is real

I tried to frame it as whether he valued a child's innocence and he was like "nah fuck that I just don't want him to feel like I lied to him, but also I don't want him to ruin Santa for other kids"

Clearly he should just tell him about Krampus instead

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

I tried to frame it as whether he valued a child's innocence and he was like "nah fuck that I just don't want him to feel like I lied to him, but also I don't want him to ruin Santa for other kids"

just be jewish duh

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So last night my wife had to basically take care of our son until his bed time, at which point she crashed out and went to bed, while I stayed up to make sure I drank something. I knew that there were two strength trinkets up on world quests in the Wowzers and she direly wanted some new trinkets, so being a nice husband and to try and make up for my uselessness I logged into her character and got her the trinks. Best husband ever?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    3. if it's a high energy crash or fall, beware the fact that the neck can have broken in ways that can get worse by movement, so avoid moving the neck without good reason
    4. opening airways is always a good reason

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    By stopping Amon's coup and revealing Tarlokk as who he really is, Korra pulls the lever allowing the trolley of guilty and self-judgment to roll down the tracks and do the rest.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ludious wrote: »
    Despite it feeling early, I've been increasingly wishing I could move in with Querry like, now. We originally talked about it abstractly a few months ago, because my lease ends in late July, so that put it into our heads. We didn't actually bring it up until a bit after that, and the conclusion was basically "yeah, that would've been too early, but next year around then sounds like a good date to shoot for, if things are still going well." We separately came to those conclusions. But the thought of it has been cropping up more lately, for a variety of reasons, and now we both would really like to, even though it doesn't make sense, so we've got another yearish before we can.

But anyway, it's extremely stressful not to, and causes a not small amount of pining. A lot of this is tied to work, which has just kicked up a thousand percent. We both periodically have twelve hour days, and come home too exhausted to really interact with each other in the ways we're used to. There are a lot of times when I just want to eat and then go to bed with her, but I never get that on the days I really need it, and we both have to scavenge or cook for ourselves even when we get home at nine, and the other person always feels weird and wishes they could be there for practical and emotional support.

Basically life is stressful and I wish I could come home to her consistently, and spend exhausted nights snuggling into her and falling asleep, instead of exhaustedly trying to Skype and watch TV and then sleeping alone.

then do it.

Other people are going to give you stoic advise about taking time blah blah blah

do it. Just do it.

Will you be happier if you do it than any potential negative side effects? THEN DO IT

JUST DO IT

I want to, and she wants to, but the negative side effects are real. We don't have much income, and she is still living with parents so she's stocking up assets. Meanwhile, dealing with my lease is a pain, and right now I can bike to work in seven minutes, and don't need to pay for a parking pass. Moving would increase both of our commutes by a factor of three to five.

The negatives are actual and real and sufficient enough that we can't. But if they weren't there, we absolutely would.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Are either of your commutes feasible if you spend weeknights at her place or yours? Or would the commute only work if you lived in a location in-between?

Cause if the former...spend weeknights together, if you can.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So last night my wife had to basically take care of our son until his bed time, at which point she crashed out and went to bed, while I stayed up to make sure I drank something. I knew that there were two strength trinkets up on world quests in the Wowzers and she direly wanted some new trinkets, so being a nice husband and to try and make up for my uselessness I logged into her character and got her the trinks. Best husband ever?

Horde or Alliance?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

It's not damaging at all. The kids suspect the truth starting around 4, figure it out by 7, the blow is greatly softened by presents. As a bonus the realization tends to poison kids against religious thought so there's that too.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    So DK just happens to recognize the product huh

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    By stopping Amon's coup and revealing Tarlokk as who he really is, Korra pulls the lever allowing the trolley of guilty and self-judgment to roll down the tracks and do the rest.

Korra ensures that magical superpeople remain in position of dominance over the normal majority

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    the med student I know is also stupidly hot but she is far too nice to have any real fun with the degenerate concussed monkey-man that most men revert to when trying to hit on her

but if I'm around I pick up the slack by laughing my ass off at them in a never-quite-subtle-enough-to-not-be-mockery way because it is hilarious

I have found its fun to be friends with incredibly hot peop

I was really worried when this wasn't part of your first post.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    credeiki wrote: »

Are either of your commutes feasible if you spend weeknights at her place or yours? Or would the commute only work if you lived in a location in-between?

Yeaaaah we live on opposite sides of the Beltway, commutes are up to two hours if we spend weeknights together, up from <10 minutes. It's why we almost never get to see each other for weeknights, though if someone's having a super shit day and the other doesn't work at 9AM the next morning then sometimes we stay together on weeknights.

• Options

then do it.

do it. Just do it.

JUST DO IT

yeah apart from unknown reasons not making it practically possible, it sounds like moving in together is the thing you both kinda need

so shialabeouf.gif

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »

Everyone who is surprised raise your hands

• Options

then do it.

do it. Just do it.

JUST DO IT

I want to, and she wants to, but the negative side effects are real. We don't have much income, and she is still living with parents so she's stocking up assets. Meanwhile, dealing with my lease is a pain, and right now I can bike to work in seven minutes, and don't need to pay for a parking pass. Moving would increase both of our commutes by a factor of three to five.

The negatives are actual and real and sufficient enough that we can't. But if they weren't there, we absolutely would.

Aw.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    A lot of people don't like that approach, no.

idk where I'm going here, really.
    That passivity - while noble and to an extent keeping the individual blameless - in the face of oppression allows the oppression to continue, and only through action and potentially blame-worthy actions can you end the oppression?

There is an ethical dilemma in teaching children to turn the other cheek and always be the better person, as in the real world this regularly does not come out well for the individual.

Yes! That is the formed version of the inchoate thought blobs I have floating around.

• Options

then do it.

do it. Just do it.

JUST DO IT

yeah apart from unknown reasons not making it practically possible, it sounds like moving in together is the thing you both kinda need

so shialabeouf.gif

Yeah. It'd be great for both of us, but practically impossible.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Horde or Alliance?

Horde. You know the real good guys.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh shiv

just steal some of her parents jewelry and sell it to make the money

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The Mega-Man comic is pretty raw huh
    Mega-Man-43-Needle-Man-03.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Oh shiv

Now we're dealing with possible solutions.

• Options
    3. if it's a high energy crash or fall, beware the fact that the neck can have broken in ways that can get worse by movement, so avoid moving the neck without good reason
    4. opening airways is always a good reason

one thing to keep in mind is in america you can be sued, for a lot of money, for causing injury while trying to help

its a thing that happens

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

I'm going to be honest: this has done nothing to help solidify my internal representation of who you are
    Before: ???
    After: ??? + Glam Dog Gloss

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    While driving on the highway during a heavy thunderstorm I saw an SUV lose control, flipped once and crashed into a ditch. I didn't stop to try and pull over to help because it was raining hard and I would have to cross two lanes to pull over, felt bad about it.

honestly if you aren't trained you run the risk of causing more harm anyway (not saying you're guaranteed to, just)

best to just call 911 and report it

Every first aid instructor I've ever had would disagree with you, at volume

the risk of you making things worse is nothing compared to the likelihood of the benefit of even untrained help

well that's incredibly inconvenient for me

well, yes. Stop and help. If you're worried about not knowing what to do, take a first aid course. The main point of those are that even if you forget most of it, that you'll be like "right I know sorta what to do" and you start to do things
    The US has uneven Good Samaritan protection laws (no national federal standard), making it a distinct possibility that if you stop and help, someone in the family can sue you. It's even worse if there are no Good Samaritan protections, and you are a health care professional.

Stopping and helping is the right thing to do, but because the US is fucked up, it can also cost you your career.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Oh shiv

Now we're dealing with possible solutions.

Also, and I'm not joking or making light here, as it could work

start a gofundme page about how you're a trans/queer couple living apart in D.C. and how the perils and trials of the world are mentally destroying you both and you need $xxxx to move in together

shit I'd donate $50 just to see you do it

• Options

I'm going to be honest: this has done nothing to help solidify my internal representation of who you are
    Before: ???
    After: ??? + Glam Dog Gloss

Correct

• Options

Yeaaaah we live on opposite sides of the Beltway, commutes are up to two hours if we spend weeknights together, up from <10 minutes. It's why we almost never get to see each other for weeknights, though if someone's having a super shit day and the other doesn't work at 9AM the next morning then sometimes we stay together on weeknights.

Right, that's what I thought. And I guess if she goes to bed super-early, you can't work a late-shifted schedule to avoid rush hour, cause then you wouldn't see her at night at all anyway. And I imagine her hours aren't flexible at all.
    Honestly I think given the finances you probably do have to wait instead of breaking the lease.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The Mega-Man comic is pretty raw huh
    Mega-Man-43-Needle-Man-03.jpg

Oh my god

• Options
    edited September 2016

It's not damaging at all. The kids suspect the truth starting around 4, figure it out by 7, the blow is greatly softened by presents. As a bonus the realization tends to poison kids against religious thought so there's that too.

my dad was kind of bewildered and a little frustrated by the fact that we never believed in santa but still insisted on him sneaking out and dressing up as santa for christmas so that he could be the target of an ace attorney style session where we pointed out all the inconsistencies in this not being dad

but when he wanted to drop it and obliquely talked about how we maybe didn't need santa to visit this year, we rebelled

so then he once again snuck out, put on the costume, came back in with a ho ho ho and got greeted by "IF YOU'RE NOT DAD THEN WHY ARE YOU WEARING HIS SHOES, HUH?!"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.