Options

US Presidential Election: I could have, but didn't

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i wouldn't be surprised if Pence puts in a 'reasonably competent' performance (i.e: doesn't come off sounding like he's unhinged, or completely ignorant) and the media portrays the debate as a tie or narrow Pence victory regardless of Kaine's performance

although i could also see Pence floundering since Kaine will probably just talk about Trump a lot and Pence will have to answer for crazy things that Trump has said

Well Pence can't possibly do worse than Trump. He's got more self-control, a better knowledge of the issues and policies, and more experience in political debates. Which, when compared to Trump, isn't a bar to pass so much as a hole to jump over, but still, he's going to raise the ticket's debate performance average no matter what happens.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I thought the people who said Trump was on amphetamines during the debate were full of shit, but tweeting in the middle of the night when he does rallies all day certainly raises questions

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Hillary is apparently running radio ads in Eastern NC (I just heard on during sports talk radio) basically crushing Donald for treating women like shit and saying he knows more than the Generals about ISIS. Has a two-tour vet and father of three girls basically say that he has to not vote Republican because of Trump. I'll be curious how it plays in the area's heavily Republican military demographic.

She's also banking the votes in NC:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I loved that he said she'd been fighting ISIS her whole life but he knew more about them.

None of that made any sense at all.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Trump has gone from being alternate universe Biff Tannen to 80's coked up Charlie Sheen.

In like the span of two days.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    It just hit me why Trump is not worried about bringing up Bill's infidelity. It's not because he's not expecting Hillary to hit back with his own infidelities. It's because he's ready for it. He's got a comeback prepared. It's going to be "but those women I slept with were beautiful". I'm sure of it, he'll say that during the debate.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I loved that he said she'd been fighting ISIS her whole life but he knew more about them.

Trump came off as a guy trying to get in zingers by saying the first lines that popped into his head no matter how little sense the lines made.

That is why people prepare those lines ahead of time.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    It just hit me why Trump is not worried about bringing up Bill's infidelity. It's not because he's not expecting Hillary to hit back with his own infidelities. It's because he's ready for it. He's got a comeback prepared. It's going to be "but those women I slept with were beautiful". I'm sure of it, he'll say that during the debate.

You know the sad part, because of americas awful sexism, that's actually not a bad argument.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

she's been fighting them her entire adult life, but she also created them with Obama just a few years ago. the fucking Zelda timeline is less convoluted that what goes on in Donalds head.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I'm imagining the thousand-yard stares of the rest of his campaign as he explains this masterful plan, and it's a wonderful image.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    i wouldn't be surprised if Pence puts in a 'reasonably competent' performance (i.e: doesn't come off sounding like he's unhinged, or completely ignorant) and the media portrays the debate as a tie or narrow Pence victory regardless of Kaine's performance

although i could also see Pence floundering since Kaine will probably just talk about Trump a lot and Pence will have to answer for crazy things that Trump has said

Well Pence can't possibly do worse than Trump. He's got more self-control, a better knowledge of the issues and policies, and more experience in political debates. Which, when compared to Trump, isn't a bar to pass so much as a hole to jump over, but still, he's going to raise the ticket's debate performance average no matter what happens.

He's also got the charisma of a lamppost and plenty of his own problems as a governor.

My prediction is that if he doesn't spend the entire debate defending crazy things Trump has said, he'll spend it defending his own terrible record. VP is white guy v white guy, no way the Dems aren't going on offense.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Pence as a Trump surrogate is terrible because he flat out lies/contradicts things Trump says. So on top of him having the charisma of a dish towel, he's god awful at that whole backing Trump thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Oh god, why did I not know about this before now.

Edit: Never mind. Is banned. My bad.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I thought the people who said Trump was on amphetamines during the debate were full of shit, but tweeting in the middle of the night when he does rallies all day certainly raises questions

When you're on the verge of losing the race, losing your image, losing a fuckton of money, getting caught with your hand in all sorts of cookie jars because people are investigating the shit out of you, you're probably not sleeping this week. Even if you're Trump.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    Trump has gone from being alternate universe Biff Tannen to 80's coked up Charlie Sheen.

In like the span of two days.

This is an impeccable description, and I thank you for it.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Preacher wrote: »

Pence is not really a smart guy, Kaine while very daddish is not a dumb person. It will not look good for Trump.
    You don't have to be smart for debates. None of the questions are going to get into the weeds and check to see how intricately Pence understands domestic or foreign policy, or try to tease out what Pence's ideology is on some issue.
    What matters for debates is optics, and since he'll be compared to Trump, he's benefit from low expectations. He's pretty much just going to have to put in coherent answers and I think he'll be treated as putting in a 'solid performance'. The trickiest part will be how he handles Trump's craziness - in particular, the issues on which Pence and Trump differ - Pence claiming he doesn't endorse X, Y or Z that Trump said, but you're his VP, how do you square those two realities? But I'm sure his handlers are coaching him on decent answers for those questions so I'm not sure he'll bungle them.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    A Trump deposition video concerning some a lawsuit over a restaurant is set to be released as soon as today. This should not be a huge deal as the transcripts were rekeased a decent amount of time ago, but Trump is the kind of person to react poorly to the judge ordering the release of the videos.

Today could be a very good day.

I hope the Lakers beat the Supersonics.

• Options
    I doubt Trump is on drugs. He's probably just doesn't sleep very well because he's overweight and has apnea. God knows there have been mornings where my pudgy ass got out of bed too early because I just couldn't sleep very well.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Oh god, why did I not know about this before now.

http.s://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/781230579459108865?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Because they were banned a couple threads back. I need to go check on the twitter feed.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Clinton needs to run roughshod over Trump in Florida with this Cuba thing

The last bastion of spanish speaking support for Republicans is up for grabs

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I doubt Trump is on drugs. He's probably just doesn't sleep very well because he's overweight and has apnea. God knows there have been mornings where my pudgy ass got out of bed too early because I just couldn't sleep very well.

He's probably lying awake wondering when Hillary is going to realize that she needs to dump that loser Bill for the REAL hero of this romantic comedy.

- inside Trump's head

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh i figured it out. Trump was ambien tweeting.

You're welcome for this excuse and I'll wait(forever) for my check in the mail Donald.

• Options
    She's picked up the hispanic and african american votes and I think she'll do SNL over the next two weeks to help with the youth vote (in addition to between two ferns)

I mean at this point Trump really just has the old white man vote and even that's slipping in areas not called "The South"

• Options
    edited September 2016
    for example, see how Trumps early statements in the debate on NAFTA and trade were considered 'strong' by the media, when in reality he's presenting a nonsensical model of how international trade works. But he spoke coherently, and forcefully (and was aided by the fact that Clinton doesnt really want to defend NAFTA and especially not TPP, since there's anti-trade factions on the Left that she doesn't particularly want to peeve) and so it gets treated as a good performance

P10 on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Now eh? Just now?

Well better late than never. I guess

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    By the way Trump's "don't believe anybody except for me" tweet is vaguely reminiscent of what my cheating, abusive ex would tell me when confronted about things she had done

I am immediately suspicious of people who claim to be the only trustworthy source of information

I mean, if I didn't already know that Trump was full of shit anyway

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Remember folks: he's a teetotaler. Which means he's doing all this stone cold sober.

In a way, that's impressive. On my best day, by which I mean my worst day, I struggle to be that much of a jerk while smashed.

• Options
    for example, see how Trumps early statements in the debate on NAFTA and trade were considered 'strong' by the media, when in reality he's presenting a nonsensical model of how international trade works. But he spoke coherently, and forcefully (and was aided by the fact that Clinton doesnt really want to defend NAFTA and especially not TPP, since there's anti-trade factions on the Left that she doesn't particularly want to peeve) and so it gets treated as a good performance

You really need to watch video of pence talking. Like really watch some video, the media would have to like do some running man shit to make him seem good at anything.

And your concern about the media calling shit for Pence is unfounded considering again the media wanted to claim Trump didn't look like shit and shockingly the public could clearly see he did.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    She's picked up the hispanic and african american votes and I think she'll do SNL over the next two weeks to help with the youth vote (in addition to between two ferns)

I mean at this point Trump really just has the old white man vote and even that's slipping in areas not called "The South"

Do young people even watch SNL still?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

You're welcome for this excuse and I'll wait(forever) for my check in the mail Donald.

TBH it was too consistent and based in too coherent a reality to have been him riding the walrus.

Thanks for pointing out the (current) bar for Trump's attachment to reality is "barely makes more sense than ambien trips"

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Do young people even watch SNL still?

Probably not in real time, but particularly good bits make their way around social media.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

TBH it was too consistent and based in too coherent a reality to have been him riding the walrus.

Thanks for pointing out the (current) bar for Trump's attachment to reality is "barely makes more sense than ambien trips"

Riding the walrus?

RIDING THE WALRUS!?

Please tell me this is the slang for abusing fucking Ambien. I want to live in a world where this isn't just a nonsense phrase.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Trump deposition video to be released
    A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public as soon as Friday, drawing new attention to those comments just weeks before voters cast their ballots in the presidential race. Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video. "This Court finds that Plaintiff has not demonstrated that any subject video deposition contains scandalous, libelous, or other unduly prejudicial material warranting denial of media access," Holeman wrote. "The public shall not be held captive by the suggested eventuality of partisan editing in a manner unfavorable to Plaintiff or the deponents."

In other words "you can't complain about what you said under oath".

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mike Pence wrote an op-ed piece that is so boring I would rather count grass than read it.

But read it I did, and there is a curious bit:
    He’ll end the war on coal and develop new American sources of energy.

Okay first of all, "the war on coal" just sounds ridiculous to me for a number of reasons.

Second, why are you sucking coal's cock and then declaring we'll innovate in the energy sector?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Sleep wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

Riding the walrus?

RIDING THE WALRUS!?

Please tell me this is the slang for abusing fucking Ambien. I want to live in a world where this isn't just a nonsense phrase.

The ambien walrus is definitely a thing, and I have heard "riding the walrus" as a slang for intentionally going on ambien trips.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Trump deposition video to be released
    A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public as soon as Friday, drawing new attention to those comments just weeks before voters cast their ballots in the presidential race. Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video. "This Court finds that Plaintiff has not demonstrated that any subject video deposition contains scandalous, libelous, or other unduly prejudicial material warranting denial of media access," Holeman wrote. "The public shall not be held captive by the suggested eventuality of partisan editing in a manner unfavorable to Plaintiff or the deponents."

In other words "you can't complain about what you said under oath".

Over/under on time until Trump declares the judge is biased and in Hillary's pocket?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

You really need to watch video of pence talking. Like really watch some video, the media would have to like do some running man shit to make him seem good at anything.

And your concern about the media calling shit for Pence is unfounded considering again the media wanted to claim Trump didn't look like shit and shockingly the public could clearly see he did.

I love this reference.

Also, you are completely correct. Pence has the charisma of a wet washcloth.

• Options

Yes, voters will see the debate, and if Pence puts in an awful performance, spin doesn't matter. But I seriously doubt that Pence is going to look as blatantly unprepared, incompetent and incoherent as Trump. And then it comes back to, but he's an idiot! - and maybe he'll trip up and say something blatantly incorrect and have that embarrass him. But otherwise he'll get up there and say some rehearsed lines in response to questions and subjects and then get compared to Trump and get graded as a serious statesmanly politician.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mike Pence wrote an op-ed piece that is so boring I would rather count grass than read it.

But read it I did, and there is a curious bit:
    He’ll end the war on coal and develop new American sources of energy.

Okay first of all, "the war on coal" just sounds ridiculous to me for a number of reasons.

Second, why are you sucking coal's cock and then declaring we'll innovate in the energy sector?

Mike Pence is kind of dumb.

This discussion has been closed.