Options

US Presidential Election: I could have, but didn't

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Trump is no longer attending the event with Ryan tomorrow.

Trump is going to get in a fight with Ryan now. It is the most Trump thing he could do.

Edit: McCain now has a statement but does not unendorse Trump.
    Paul Ryan's statement is weird.

"Women should be championed and revered, not objectified."

That statement makes my head hurt. Reverence is just another form of objectification, and in the long term leads to the Madonna/whore dynamic.

yeah but the other option is to treat women like people and we can't have that now can we.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Trump is no longer attending the event with Ryan tomorrow.

Trump is going to get in a fight with Ryan now. It is the most Trump thing he could do.

Edit: McCain now has a statement but does not unendorse Trump.
    Paul Ryan's statement is weird.

"Women should be championed and revered, not objectified."

That statement makes my head hurt. Reverence is just another form of objectification, and in the long term leads to the Madonna/whore dynamic.

yeah but the other option is to treat women like people and we can't have that now can we.

Shit, right, my bad, what was I thinking?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Tie it to their necks and let them choke on it.

If only we had a fairly well liked sitting President with 8 years of pent up anger over their bullshit around to do so...

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Wow

That's a sitting Republican Senator

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Wow

See above comments. He's been NeverTrump since January.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Wow

More importantly, he's a sitting Republican senator getting his ass kicked by a Democratic veteran.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I was trying to catch up, back on page 74 or so, looked to see how close I was and holy crap nearly a thousand more posts what the hell has Trump OH MY GOD.

(I just had to get the Dune post in quickly.)

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Let's be honest, individuals with that exact mindset are the same that don't stop at no. They're vile human beings, and yet 40% of this country will absolutely vote for him, and some because they think this is exactly how the male/female dynamic SHOULD work.

• Options
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/gop-piles-donald-trump-over-remarks-women-n662276
    "This one matters," a Trump campaign staffer conceded, adding they had "no idea" how to spin the story in their favor.
    He could apologize and try to use it to talk about how much he has changed since the?

Yeah, I got nothing Trump would be willing to do.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular

Oh no, how will Clinton ever recover

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Like, seriously.

How were they so bad at their jobs?

Occam's Razor?

Didn't take him seriously until it was too late, at which time any dirt would have been self-destructive to any chance at the White House.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Let's be honest, individuals with that exact mindset are the same that don't stop at no. They're vile human beings, and yet 40% of this country will absolutely vote for him, and some because they think this is exactly how the male/female dynamic SHOULD work.

I hope that less than 40% of males think that way let alone females.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I honestly don't trust a damn thing WikiLeaks says about anything. If they claimed the sky was blue, I would get a test for color blindness done.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

Like, seriously.

How were they so bad at their jobs?

Even if it didn't come up in the primary you'd think somebody would have found this and maybe used it to keep Trump in line.

I think they all completely swallowed the party line that Trump could shoot someone and not lose, they were all convinced that everyone hated Clinton so much that Trump could just show up and say, "I'm not Clinton!" and win. And with that headspace why even bother doing oppo research?

They meant the primary. Like how did none of them find ANY of this shit out and use it against him then?

Well, they'd have to think he was saying something wrong.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

This is true to some extent but it isn't true to all extents. If this was a close election, this could definitely affect the outcome but it isn't going to turn a Clinton plus 4 to a Clinton plus 10. She is correct that no one who has been paying a lick of attention to Trump over the past 20 years or the past 6 months would be surprised by this revelation. On the other hand, as I pointed out in an earlier post, there is something about human nature and video/audio. Getting shit on tape is Yuge.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I don't know why I expected different, but those statements from McCain and Ryan pissed me off.

This is not sophomoric banter.

This is outright admitting he believes he can sexually assault women because he's rich and famous.

Hey McCain, Ryan et al

This isn't one of those "I don't understand PC culture but I have to pretend I'm outraged anyway" gaffes. The fact you're treating it that way speaks volumes.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    glimmung wrote: »
    Crayon wrote: »

I hope that less than 40% of males think that way let alone females.

Of course not, that's why I said some and not all.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh I haven't even went to my facebook feed yet today. Can't wait to see the reactions there!

Oops! Not one conservative has posted any reaction to today's events. That's funny.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    All those Republican candidates wanted him to stay in long enough to become his one-on-one opponent.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Wow

If they get Trump out now they lose the presidency but might save a congressional majority.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

a valid observation. will anyone call them on it? normally i'd say no, but these are...interesting times.

Trump says if you're famous and powerful enough you can get away with hitting on and/or groping women you find attractive.

A video is broadcast to the entire world of him saying this, and of him telling a cheerful little story about taking a married woman he was attracted to furniture shopping so he could get her alone. (Feel free to let the reality of that little anecdote sink in for a few seconds.)

Trump's erstwhile allies take to social media to voice what a disgrace this is and scold him for what he's said.

None of them voice any concern for any women he may have done this to over the years, just vague outrage on behalf of women in general. It's treated like Trump was speaking hypothetically, not confessing to being a serial sex pest.

Most don't pull their support for his presidential bid.

Point proven, I guess.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Oh I haven't even went to my facebook feed yet today. Can't wait to see the reactions there!

Oops! Not one conservative has posted any reaction to today's events. That's funny.

It's too soon to repeat the accepted spin.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular

Saudi vote is big in Florida.

• Options
    And then there is this excellent point on his vileness:

Says it all about how he views women.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    And then there is this excellent point on his vileness:

Says it all about how he views women.

I was surprised more people hadn't pointed this part out.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    DONALD J. TRUMP STATEMENT

"Governor Mike Pence will be representing me tomorrow in Wisconsin. I will be spending the day in New York in debate prep with RNC Chairman Reince Priebus, Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Jeff Sessions, and then flying to St. Louis on Sunday for the 2nd Presidential Debate."
    They are really playing this as a "I am too busy to be there" sort of thing.

How did the campaign not have plans in place for a video like this appearing?

Couscous on
  • Options
    DONALD J. TRUMP STATEMENT

"Governor Mike Pence will be representing me tomorrow in Wisconsin. I will be spending the day in New York in debate prep with RNC Chairman Reince Priebus, Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Jeff Sessions, and then flying to St. Louis on Sunday for the 2nd Presidential Debate."
    They are really playing this as a "I am too busy to be there" sort of thing.

How did the campaign not have plans in place for a video like this appearing?

Because they don't have plans for anything.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

click me for some sharp, but not unexpected, commentary

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Yeah, because Americans are really concerned about hurting Saudi Arabia's feelings

They're our ally because they're useful, but even if she actually said that

A) She's still correct. B) Nobody cares.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Also, lol, poor wikileaks panicked and dumped all of their Hillary Clinton emails only a few minutes after the Trump story came out

But no really we're not trying to get Trump elected

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    So let me get this...

Clinton convicted of nothing and doesn't say awful things. Has lots of experience. Actually appears to care.

Trump a garbage fire on legs or tentacles.

People still say we don't have any good candidates. I don't even argue.

• Options
    So let me get this...

Clinton convicted of nothing and doesn't say awful things. Has lots of experience. Actually appears to care.

Trump a garbage fire on legs or tentacles.

People still say we don't have any good candidates. I don't even argue.

You forgot that she defends bunnies.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

The dumbest thing about this is it is a basic statement of history. ISIS used the history of Saudi Arabia like a crib sheet.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Yeah, because Americans are really concerned about hurting Saudi Arabia's feelings

They're our ally because they're useful, but even if she actually said that

A) She's still correct. B) Nobody cares.

And there is a fraction of Saudis who would probably agree with that. No country is monolithic.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Also, lol, poor wikileaks panicked and dumped all of their Hillary Clinton emails only a few minutes after the Trump story came out

They dumped everything online minutes after a story that was guaranteed to bury it? How dense are they?

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

They dumped everything online minutes after a story that was guaranteed to bury it? How dense are they?

it was clearly at this point a panic dump in an attempt to counterbalance the trump thing

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Saudi vote is big in Florida.

Yeah, I don't think the "problem" they're trying to oh-so-subtly bring up here has anything to do with the saudis

It's actually pretty gross

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.